[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

To my understanding RBY will be Bank compatible, but with Sun/Moon and not with XYORAS. As such the RBY TMs have no relevance here so don't go frantically finding your Fissure Machamp so soon.
Yes, i was really Hoping that the release of this bank compatibility wasn't to early as the tournament hasn't started yet, so i recently read an official information about it and its like you said so God Thing that there's no Fissure Machamp on The Kanto Classic http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-video-games/pokemon-bank/#pokemon-sun-pokemon-moon

I'm using Snorlax in my team but I don't know which set is the best ? I have Rest / Sleep Talk / Body Slam but my last move could be Crunch / Whirlwind / Curse and I don't know which is the better choice... which move are you using ?

EDIT : Thinking about Fissure too

Last edited:
I'm using Snorlax in my team but I don't know which set is the best ? I have Rest / Sleep Talk / Body Slam but my last move could be Crunch / Whirlwind / Curse and I don't know which is the better choice... which move are you using ?

EDIT : Thinking about Fissure too
Pursuit is good too
It's power enough to KO zam with gengar and trap them from switch
But it just theory,I didn't test my it by my self

Anyone like Mr.Mime in this meta? It's not even D rank, but I think a set with Barrier/Calm Mind/ Baton Pass/ and Psychic or Pyshock would be pretty good. Thoughts? I want something that is resistant to psychic, and handles Machamp and Jolteon fairly well.

The former definitely can't switch in and has trouble after Mr.Mime has got a CM boost, while the latter probably won't do much with Shadow Ball if you run filter(though Soundproof might be superior on a BP set.) I'm not completely sure on the moves tho, as Mr.Mime has a lot of other good options like Encore, and Future Sight seems like it could be a really good attack.

Now that signups have started, is anyone going to be running a full stall team for the competition? I know stall is more than viable on Showdown where you essentially have unlimited time but the 60-min format could prevent longer games. Offensive teams have shown to be viable on the ladder as well, but they rely more on good prediction and are more susceptible to hax than stall (because stall has a bit of wiggle room with its bulk + healing). I've played mostly stall on the ladder but I'm wondering if I should go offense for cart to preserve my sanity lol.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Now that signups have started, is anyone going to be running a full stall team for the competition? I know stall is more than viable on Showdown where you essentially have unlimited time but the 60-min format could prevent longer games. Offensive teams have shown to be viable on the ladder as well, but they rely more on good prediction and are more susceptible to hax than stall (because stall has a bit of wiggle room with its bulk + healing). I've played mostly stall on the ladder but I'm wondering if I should go offense for cart to preserve my sanity lol.
I would still expect to see stall on the actual competition but I expect that it will be used less than on showdown where almost all the higher teams I see are stall. I also expect more Minimize users because it can timer stall when the user is ahead to win unlike on showdown. I would generally expect it to look more similar to the current low ladder.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Playing stall in cart might be a risky venture in addition to being annoying on time. All it takes is one lucky crit or OHKO hit and then you might be timer stalled out since the winner would be who has the most pokemon. Sheer Cold Articuno just sits in front of stall teams and fishes for hits and there's really not much you can do against it. Plus, do you really want to play 10 games a day that last between 40 minutes to an hour? You could always try a balanced team instead of going full offense or full stall, it's pretty consistent without taking forever to play.

Playing stall in cart might be a risky venture in addition to being annoying on time. All it takes is one lucky crit or OHKO hit and then you might be timer stalled out since the winner would be who has the most pokemon. Sheer Cold Articuno just sits in front of stall teams and fishes for hits and there's really not much you can do against it. Plus, do you really want to play 10 games a day that last between 40 minutes to an hour? You could always try a balanced team instead of going full offense or full stall, it's pretty consistent without taking forever to play.
Magneton with Sturdy and RestTalk is generally a good answer to Sheer Cold Articuno as barring HP Ground it walls it indefinitely. I use one on my stall team and it's prevented OHKO users from running all over my team. Stall teams can also run RestTalk OHKO mons like Articuno, Seaking or Snorlax, so they can fish (no pun intended in the case of Seaking) for instant kills as well. But yeah, I've definitely considered your point of 10 games a day lasting an hour. As much as I like Pokemon battling, that just...doesn't sound very fun.

Sceptross

The words were voted out by a landslide
is a Community Contributor
I would still expect to see stall on the actual competition but I expect that it will be used less than on showdown where almost all the higher teams I see are stall. I also expect more Minimize users because it can timer stall when the user is ahead to win unlike on showdown. I would generally expect it to look more similar to the current low ladder.
I'm genuinely worried about Minimize Clefable. I stopped trying to counter it because no one runs it on high ladder. I have a team that fares well against almost all archetypes, but gets completely rekt by Minimize Clefable, specially Magic Guard ones. Heh, I'll make a RMT with it and post it here in a second.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/kanto-classic-rmt-bulky-offensive-stall.3566004/

Last edited by a moderator:

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
Magneton with Sturdy and RestTalk is generally a good answer to Sheer Cold Articuno as barring HP Ground it walls it indefinitely. I use one on my stall team and it's prevented OHKO users from running all over my team. Stall teams can also run RestTalk OHKO mons like Articuno, Seaking or Snorlax, so they can fish (no pun intended in the case of Seaking) for instant kills as well. But yeah, I've definitely considered your point of 10 games a day lasting an hour. As much as I like Pokemon battling, that just...doesn't sound very fun.
Mind sharing that RestTalk magneton set? I would like to try it as well.

What set does Pinsir normally run? I feel like Mold Breaker should be the ability, and you want EQ for Gengar and stuff. Guillotine seems really helpful for Machamp especially. That said, OHKO move Pokes prefer to be bulky, which Pinsir is not. I mean it's not really frail, and can potentially attempt to be bulky with Struggle Bug and Iron Defense.

I'm not sure what else I should run. I guess X-Scissor is a must, but idk the last slot. Rock Slide is always good, and I could use Bulk Up. Since I have a cleric I may even be able to use Rest. Or Substitute to block status and stuff.

EDIT: Nvm. I need Pinsir to set up SR. I suppose that should be the last slot, since I can't very well do away with the other moves.

252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pinsir: 72-85 (51 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
*Not fair

Last edited:
What set does Pinsir normally run? I feel like Mold Breaker should be the ability, and you want EQ for Gengar and stuff. Guillotine seems really helpful for Machamp especially. That said, OHKO move Pokes prefer to be bulky, which Pinsir is not. I mean it's not really frail, and can potentially attempt to be bulky with Struggle Bug and Iron Defense.

I'm not sure what else I should run. I guess X-Scissor is a must, but idk the last slot. Rock Slide is always good, and I could use Bulk Up. Since I have a cleric I may even be able to use Rest. Or Substitute to block status and stuff.

EDIT: Nvm. I need Pinsir to set up SR. I suppose that should be the last slot, since I can't very well do away with the other moves.

252+ Atk Snorlax Body Slam vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pinsir: 72-85 (51 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
*Not fair
I might be having a brain fart, but doesn't Gengar have Levitate? So EQ is nullified..

That's one of the reasons he wants mold breaker, as it ignores the opponents ability ;) I guess it backfires with guillotine though, as No Guard is ignored lol
Omg, what? Didn't even think of that:( Now I really do need help with this. Mayb Moxie and keep Guillotine? I'm running max HP and Atk with the 4 in Def with an Adamant nature. Speed seems kinda pointless since it takes so much from power and bulk, and Pinsir is still s little on the slow side. And outspeeding max base 80s and things like that doesn't help. A benchmark I use with my Zapdos is high speed Cloyster, but what does Pinsir even do to Cloyster? Attacks will do little cause of that fat Def, really it's just a chance for Guillotine to hit-not worth the investment.

There's also probably an argument for Close Combat over EQ if I'm not gonna have Mold Breaker. It still hits Mag hard, and does way more to Slax.

When this giveaway starts ? I need a Golem for my team and I haven't access to Sucker Punch :(
If you haven't got one yet, VM me, I have an old Sucker Punch Golem I RNG'd on my HGSS still laying around somewhere; I'll be loosly browsing Smogon for the next 6-7 hours.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Yeah, having come across several stall teams on the ladder I can tell you that your games will definitely push past the time limit on the cartridge. Earlier today I had a game lasting 130+ turns and that definitely would have broken the time limit. Even on showdown it was like 30 minutes long. Barring early forfeits I don't think I've ever had a game against a stall team that was less than 40 turns at least. From my experience in earlier gen cartridge play where things came down to PP stalling, I can tell you it's mind numbingly boring. I wouldn't want to do one game like that much less 10.

Also, great suggestions. I might have to try out Magneton on some teams, it always seems to put in work when I play against it.

Mind sharing that RestTalk magneton set? I would like to try it as well.
The set I use is this one:

Magneton
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 50
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Speed EVs give you 103 speed, which is enough to outspeed most Venusaur. Rest in bulk. Modest and Max SpA for the most damage. You can always run a more defensive spread to take advantage of RestTalk but I find the extra power comes in handy (being able to 3HKO CurseLax after 1 SpD drop, meaning it can no longer Rest).

Is a Golem with SR, Explosion, and EdgeQuake good? Just overall power and rocks.
Also, Adamant or Jolly? Or something else?
BTW Just got a Calm Zapdos from the GTS :P

Last edited:
is this a good set for Batton Pass Jolteon ??

Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

is this a good set for Batton Pass Jolteon ??

Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Agility
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
That'd be a really bad idea. For starters, Jolteon is fast and frail, so it can't afford to use Agility, and won't benefit from the move much itself. This Jolteon is also much weaker with little SpA investment and only T-bolt for an attack means any Ground type, Seaking, non electric weak Poke with recovery, or enemy Jolteon with Shadow Ball or a HP walls you completely. Sub and BP re fine, I think, but Jolteon really ought to have more SpA investment and a coverage move over Agility. If you want to pass speed QD Venomoth is better.

That'd be a really bad idea. For starters, Jolteon is fast and frail, so it can't afford to use Agility, and won't benefit from the move much itself. This Jolteon is also much weaker with little SpA investment and only T-bolt for an attack means any Ground type, Seaking, non electric weak Poke with recovery, or enemy Jolteon with Shadow Ball or a HP walls you completely. Sub and BP re fine, I think, but Jolteon really ought to have more SpA investment and a coverage move over Agility. If you want to pass speed QD Venomoth is better.
Agility was there to baton pass it to Machamp, but your arguments are strong. I will change the EV spread to a simple 252 SpA 252 Speed, and try Hidden Power Ice over Agility. Shadow Ball is a 2HKO on both Gengar an Alakazam just like Thunerbolt, so i found more usefull hit Zapdos and Dragonite for super effective damage. Thanks for the Venomoth suggetion

Agility was there to baton pass it to Machamp, but your arguments are strong. I will change the EV spread to a simple 252 SpA 252 Speed, and try Hidden Power Ice over Agility. Shadow Ball is a 2HKO on both Gengar an Alakazam just like Thunerbolt, so i found more usefull hit Zapdos and Dragonite for super effective damage. Thanks for the Venomoth suggetion
Hidden power ice isn't as good as hidden power water in this format since it hits both golem and rhydon quite hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)