Do you regret learning about EVs/IVs?

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No. Obedience only has to to with what level they are and how many badges you have. If they are your OT, they will obey you no matter what.

IMO Ev's are cool and don't take that long to train (Relative to breeding). IV's are a good concept, but 32 options per stat, including natures makes for a lot of wasted time. I think 1-10 or 1-15 would be a lot better.

Learning about EVs and IVs blew my mind. I have a lot more fun playing pokemon competitively now because of those mechanics. I'm the type of person that enjoys grinding stats or breeding forever if I can eventually see the fruits of my labor. My Shiny, Bold Slowpoke with 15/x/28/30/29/31 was worth all the effort :P

As a side note, one thing that has always bothered me about Pokemon is the discrepancy between what the game tells you makes a Pokemon strong, and what actually makes them strong. The game tells you that if you love your Pokemon, it'll be able to defeat any opponent. This is clearly not true. Conversely, the things players actually need to know in order to build a strong Pokemon, like IVs and EVs, aren't even acknowledged by Nintendo.

I think we'd see a lot less of the "Competitive players don't love their Pokemon" and "You can't be having fun if you're trying to win" bullcrap if Nintendo either stopped pretending that attachment to a Pokemon had anything to do with its ability in battle, or changed the game mechanics so that it actually did.
I don't really think it's the game that tries to send that message as much as the anime does, although both are responsible. Either way, the problem is that to the perspective of the characters in the game and the anime, these are actual creatures with their own personalities. To us, the people who play the game, they're little pictures on a screen and a set of statistics on their summary pages. Major difference there.

So it's not really that Nintendo needs to stop pretending like attachment to a Pokemon has an effect on its battle capability; to the perspective of the characters in the game, it almost certainly does. There's just no way to replicate that, though, without making them the individual creatures that they technically are, with their own personalities and desires. And computers haven't progressed far enough to create individualized Pokemon, nor are they capable of simulating the kind of interaction with them that would create a noticeable effect in battle.

And one more thing, a little more on the topic of the thread. EVs are completely customizable; they can be removed and added pretty much at will if you know what you're doing. IVs are much more random; improvement in IVs comes almost entirely through random chance. Guided random chance, yes, but it's still random chance that determines when you catch or breed a Pokemon with a perfect IV. Even with two parents that have all perfect IVs in the stats that you want, if you're going for more than two perfect IVs, the odds don't get any better than 1:16, and that's if you already have what you're trying to get.

That's why I didn't mind learning about EVs but do wish that I didn't know about IVs. EVs are something that I know I can change. IVs aren't something that I feel like I can affect much.

For me, Pokemon is always going to be a mix of form and function. Yes, I'm trying to make a good team, but I'm not going to use a pokemon I don't like asthetically. For example, I'll never use Swampert, no matter how good he is, because I don't like how he looks, and because of his association with Mudkip. I'm probably lucky that I like so many pokemon, because otherwise this would be a major limiting factor. As it stands, though, I've never had trouble making a team, and it's helped some really interesting teams, like a team of all mustache'd pokemon, or a team of pokemon that all have hats.

Pokemon is wonderful because you get what you put into it; if you don't bother with EVs/IVs, you can still have fun catching all the pokemon, and if you, you can have a blast battling other people who train competitively.

On EVs/IVs, my first play through any pokemon game is usually played without them, because it's just a hassle at that point, both to find pokemon that give the right EVs, and to avoid pokemon that give ones I don't want. Only after beating the E4 do I start to prepare teams, because after that the world is basically open. EVs are a cinch to do, and IVs aren't that big of a hassle; I usually don't bother with Hidden Power outside of Shoddy/Netbattle, so I just shoot for the two or three or so IVs that I NEED to be 31.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually enjoy playing through in game with fully trained pokemon I've bred myself. When my level 5 Mild 30 / 30 / 18 / 31 / 31 / 31 chimchar fully EV'd blasts the crap out of all the early pokes with Thunder Punch, HP ICE and Overheat, there's a warm tingly feeling. This is what I really am as a trainer! Nor do I feel the slightest bit cheap as it took hours to breed that thing. >.>

I actually enjoy playing through in game with fully trained pokemon I've bred myself. When my level 5 Mild 30 / 30 / 18 / 31 / 31 / 31 chimchar fully EV'd blasts the crap out of all the early pokes with Thunder Punch, HP ICE and Overheat, there's a warm tingly feeling. This is what I really am as a trainer! Nor do I feel the slightest bit cheap as it took hours to breed that thing. >.>
There's no reason to feel cheap. Just consider it revenge for how cheap the computer is in the Battle Tower.

As an addendum to my post, I'd just like to say to all the serious competitive players who say they only care about strategy that it's perfectly fine, as long as you remember that at the end of the day you're playing a game marketed for young children. Yes, even if you only use Shoddy.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
the cartridges may be marketed for kids but competitive battle is definitely not, especially if you're talking shoddy. i'm sure if we averaged the age of the 50 people on the leaderboard the age would be something like 16 or 17 if not 18 or 19

and think of is this way: other games can be marketed towards an entirely different demographic than the one for which it arguably was created. think baseball and football

IV's & EV's are great, since they confuse the hell out of my non-competitive friends who wonder why my Pokemon are all like "steroided" lol.

Although, tiers do make me a bit sad, but think about it...EVERY competitive game has it...fighters, Halo (as far as I can assume o_0), even POKEMON. Poor Cloyster, ye shall always be my favorite *sniff*

IVs kind of ruined the game for me but also opened my eyes to competetive fighting myself being a table top RPG designer have deep respect for a game with such a unique upgrading system, but it does kind of bother me that you have to fight SPECIFIC pokemon to upgrade yourself.

i dont regret it at all. I love to create killing machine pokes and thats what Ive done. i found out about EV when a mates rayquaza gained a 13 in hp and a 10 in sp atk.

I don't regret learning about EVs, IVs and Natures, in fact its devilishley clever that these little things are hidden for more strategic players. The only thing that really turns me off from trying this out is that its so tedious, I mean I don't own an action replay so EV training for me is rough, having to go through the battle tower to get those damn points for items and drugs for my little pixelated power houses. And the fact learning that "Rare Candied" Pokemon are useless in the metagame, that was what gave me the wake up call. I'm currently enjoying battling my new level 33 Gliscor, training it in Special Attack, Attack (dont ask, it was a nature problem, and with only an 8% chance of finding one, I didnt want to waste time looking for another). This whole world is confusing and tedious, but with some hacked battle points, items and TMs, I'm sure I can make this weight just a bit easier to bear.

I learned about these whole Iv's/Ev's Things on Serebii, Back when I was Playing Emerald and Enjoyed the Pokes in it..

When I first Learned about these... I was.. Oh my God... What The Fuck... Pokemon-The Childish, Kiddish Stupid Cartoon Show was like that in the GAME??? What the Fuck. Some people see Pokemon as like that because they havent seen the Real Strategic Aspects of it In-game..People often see pokemon as ASH. The Stupid Asshole Trainer in the Series and Due to that, they never see the real Strategy behind Pokemon..

Anime- As easy as shit.

Games- AS hard as hell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)