DLC2 Crown Tundra Speculation Thread [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some weeks ago: the council is too slow, the council will must do quick bans, the suspect rae meh
Today: quick bans are too fast, just wait
No comment
Quick bans at the start of a gen are usually fine. With the assumption that the council will be using common-sense quick bans post DLC 2 it will be handled well enough.

The problem is when there's no in-between comparing the early-meta only quick bans and mid-meta month long suspect tests. I think the idea of unbanning all these mons is to get the "we should test this in OU" arguments out of the way in a flurry of broken quick bans rather than suspect testing Cinderace and Magearna or whatever a year into the meta despite everyone clearly knowing their tier placement. Since there's no DLC 3 announcement yet I think we should have at LEAST 6 months to figure things out before the next release or new game turns everything upside down.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Would it ? Even without naga (I’m not even sold on it getting banned) I don’t see why you’d use a non scarf special set with the latis and the ghost horses (assuming at least 1 have >=100 speed) running around.
Its still the 3rd fastest mon in the tier and the fastest Dragon type with access to a better offensive typing than both Lati@s and Naga and U-Turn. Dragapult will never be unrelevant.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not really since it's mediocre as a wallbreaker and has zero recovery which is mandatory for stall/walls. Zamazenta-Crowned isn't good at anything really.
It’s a Pokémon that hits like a truck while being absolutely incontestable offensively bc of its stat spread and ability. In what universe would that not be centralising as fuck lmao. Zamazenta isn’t a stall/wall mon, it’s an offensive tank. Except that unlike other offensive tanks it circumvents the whole stat trade off that makes them balanced with its 720 BST.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Dual Wingbeat

This thing hard checks pheromosa,zygarde,lando-i,lando-t,garchomp,KB,melmetal,can eat a LO blaziken's stab fire move and KO back with dual wingbeat

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
While I do agree that a meta centralized about Zamazenta would be lame as hell, apparently everyone seems to forget that the meta is still gonna be warped around stuff like Zygarde that is even harder to take down without HP Ice lures, and despite that, will likely stay in the tier until 2021 because “we need to see if it’s really unhealthy”.

real nice job there guys, might as well just free the dogs

Its still the 3rd fastest mon in the tier and the fastest Dragon type with access to a better offensive typing than both Lati@s and Naga and U-Turn. Dragapult will never be unrelevant.
No one said it would be irrelevant, with way more competition on both the physical and speak side it was assumed dragapult would lean more into what it can do that no one else can. U-Turn

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
While I do agree that a meta centralized about Zamazenta would be lame as hell, apparently everyone seems to forget that the meta is still gonna be warped around stuff like Zygarde that is even harder to take down without HP Ice lures, and despite that, will likely stay in the tier until 2021 because “we need to see if it’s really unhealthy”.

real nice job there guys, might as well just free the dogs
Finding a way to complain about things before they even happen is an impressive skill, I commend you my friend.

Freeing Zygarde was a no-brainer for me. Every Grass type Thousand Arrows resist has a way to threaten it enough regardless (see: Tangrowth Grass Knot breaks sub, Bulu can muscle past — especially with Play Rough), Fairy types are going to be used so much that Zygarde will be suffocated, Zygarde lacks access to Z moves, and Zygarde is not strong enough to be immediately threatening without Choice Band, which was never the main problem with it to begin with and absolutely won’t be in a faster metagame like this either.

Yes, losing HP Ice stings, but that’s not enough to keep it banned. To me, it was one of the most clear-cut additions from Ubers and complaining about it before anything is playable is pretty silly.

Even if we unban 15 Pokemon and 14 end up broken, it’s all worth it to have that one new addition to the metagame in my eyes, especially considering the process calls for us to examine what’s changed between generations or when new Pokemon are introduced. Doing our due diligence and letting the metagame develop properly is important.

New (unconfirmed) leaks point towards Regidraco and Regieleki having the highest attack and special attack (respectively) so far, with base 200s and having 100 speed. As far as we know, they will also be able to hold boosting items, unlike the second place in either stat, the mega mewtwos. Lore-wise this makes absolutely no sense so far as if Mew is the DNA of every single pokemon, and Mewtwo is an enhanced version of that, why is Mewtwo's mega weaker? Idk but it's a shame since I really wanted to trap Toxapex with Regieleki.

This isn't in the leak, but I personally think that Calyrex will have some pretty sky-high stats. I can't see it being as weak or weaker than Celebi because Gamefreak knows that even a noob would be able to tell Celebi is better with Natural Cure. I'm thinking 110 base speed and 130-150 in both attacks? Or it might go with a Ho-oh esque spread with an absurdly high spdef. Since this thing "merges" with the ice and ghost horses, who each attack on different sides, I can see the merit in making this thing equal in both stats so you are not punished offensively for choosing one or the other. Hopefully this merging mechanic isn't too expanded upon so we don't get Pokemon Fusions metagame as OU.

For the Horses i'm thinking a similar movepool to Rapidash. They don't look too bulky, but as a pivot with U-turn they could be relatively decent. With things like Pheromosa, Genesect, and Cinderace, I can't see them being too great a pivot bar some great offensive stats. Setup with Swords Dance/ Nasty Plot could also be good, but to me it just seems like these things will be outclassed, at least until the best mons in the tier are banned.

New (unconfirmed) leaks point towards Regidraco and Regieleki having the highest attack and special attack (respectively) so far, with base 200s and having 100 speed.
If that's true, which I strongly suspect it isn't, that and its ability would make Regidrago a significantly stronger offensive threat than Water Spout Kyogre, currently projected to be one of the biggest threats in Ubers, while also not being dependent on any sort of field effect. Cool as 200 offensive base stats would be generally, there is absolutely no way they would let unrestricted legendaries loose with that sort of power without some significant drawback.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Alright, now that I have time (and don't want to study history), time for me to talk about something I wanted to talk about yesterday but didnt have time - SandVish! (get it? sand Vish? Sandwich? Have a sense of humor if you don't)

So does anyone remember how Dracovish tore apart the tier with banded Fishious Rend? Well, Dracozolt is getting Sand Rush from DLC. And Bolt Beak have 170 BP if the Pokemon moves first... Yeah, you can probably see where I am going. Dracozolt can run Choice Band under sand without fear of the opponent moving first (unless they pack priority), so that there is no opportunity cost with not running Scarf. Also, I think that it's STAB combination is very valuable for sand teams, targeting all the waters, fliers, and stuff like Zygarde and Chomp (not to mention Dragon gets good neutral coverage). I'm gonna try a sand team featuring Dracozolt + Ttar/Hippo + Drill/Kartana (because Dracozolt loves Kartana's grass coverage). I think that Dracozolt is gonna be pretty good here. Thanks to Spyro for knocking some sense into me (but can I please stop being wrong about everything? Please?)

New (unconfirmed) leaks point towards Regidraco and Regieleki having the highest attack and special attack (respectively) so far, with base 200s and having 100 speed. As far as we know, they will also be able to hold boosting items, unlike the second place in either stat, the mega mewtwos. Lore-wise this makes absolutely no sense so far as if Mew is the DNA of every single pokemon, and Mewtwo is an enhanced version of that, why is Mewtwo's mega weaker? Idk but it's a shame since I really wanted to trap Toxapex with Regieleki.

This isn't in the leak, but I personally think that Calyrex will have some pretty sky-high stats. I can't see it being as weak or weaker than Celebi because Gamefreak knows that even a noob would be able to tell Celebi is better with Natural Cure. I'm thinking 110 base speed and 130-150 in both attacks? Or it might go with a Ho-oh esque spread with an absurdly high spdef. Since this thing "merges" with the ice and ghost horses, who each attack on different sides, I can see the merit in making this thing equal in both stats so you are not punished offensively for choosing one or the other. Hopefully this merging mechanic isn't too expanded upon so we don't get Pokemon Fusions metagame as OU.

For the Horses i'm thinking a similar movepool to Rapidash. They don't look too bulky, but as a pivot with U-turn they could be relatively decent. With things like Pheromosa, Genesect, and Cinderace, I can't see them being too great a pivot bar some great offensive stats. Setup with Swords Dance/ Nasty Plot could also be good, but to me it just seems like these things will be outclassed, at least until the best mons in the tier are banned.
Welp... there is NO WAY they are going to stay OU. For all I know they will probably be AG because... base 200 attack stat with the ability to hold item and dynamax? Come on, you can't possibly expect this to be balanced.

Alright, now that I have time (and don't want to study history), time for me to talk about something I wanted to talk about yesterday but didnt have time - SandVish! (get it? sand Vish? Sandwich? Have a sense of humor if you don't)

So does anyone remember how Dracovish tore apart the tier with banded Fishious Rend? Well, Dracozolt is getting Sand Rush from DLC. And Bolt Beak have 170 BP if the Pokemon moves first... Yeah, you can probably see where I am going. Dracozolt can run Choice Band under sand without fear of the opponent moving first (unless they pack priority), so that there is no opportunity cost with not running Scarf. Also, I think that it's STAB combination is very valuable for sand teams, targeting all the waters, fliers, and stuff like Zygarde and Chomp (not to mention Dragon gets good neutral coverage). I'm gonna try a sand team featuring Dracozolt + Ttar/Hippo + Drill/Kartana (because Dracozolt loves Kartana's grass coverage). I think that Dracozolt is gonna be pretty good here. Thanks to Spyro for knocking some sense into me (but can I please stop being wrong about everything? Please?)
Dracozolt, while likely to be very good now, does run into some problems that Vish doesn’t. Firstly, it’s defensive typing means it’s weak to ground and ice alongside dragon and fairy, while vish was only weak to the latter 2. This is significant, as many mons carry ground and ice coverage that can take care of dracozolt. Also, electric immunities in ground are much easier to incorporate than a water immunity, which is limited to just one ability. So while you are correct that sand teams and dracozolt would get much better, there are some flaws that hold dracozolt back enough in my eyes for it to be manageable.

Welp... there is NO WAY they are going to stay OU. For all I know they will probably be AG because... base 200 attack stat with the ability to hold item and dynamax? Come on, you can't possibly expect this to be balanced.
The difference between banded strong jaw vish and banded sand rush zolt is an extra choice band on the vish attack (strong jaw boosted 1.5x). The differences is a 573.75 BP Water move vs a 382.25 BP electric move. Also, electric has better checks in ground types.

If that's true, which I strongly suspect it isn't, that and its ability would make Regidrago a significantly stronger offensive threat than Water Spout Kyogre, currently projected to be one of the biggest threats in Ubers, while also not being dependent on any sort of field effect. Cool as 200 offensive base stats would be generally, there is absolutely no way they would let unrestricted legendaries loose with that sort of power without some significant drawback.
200 Atk/Spa sounds terrifying and it is, but all the other Regis have 50 speed so I don't see why these Regis won't have that speed tier. My prediction is that they will basically become this gens version of xurkitree

200 Atk/Spa sounds terrifying and it is, but all the other Regis have 50 speed so I don't see why these Regis won't have that speed tier. My prediction is that they will basically become this gens version of xurkitree
The (UNCONFIRMED) leaks that I saw on aDrive state that they will have a base speed of 100. Specifically:
RegiDrago:
Hp: 80
Attack: 200
Defense: 50
Spatk: 100
Spdef: 50
Speed: 100

Regieleki:
Hp:80
Atk: 100
Def: 50
Spatk: 200

These are UNCONFIRMED, but either way I can see these being real/very close.

spatula

I LOVE CHIPFLAVOUR
is a Tiering Contributor
I have seen those "leaks" and am pretty sure they're just photoshops of pokemondb.net stat profiles lol. I highly doubt they are true.

In order to keep this from being a one-liner, I am curious what you guys think about the potential power level of weather teams post-DLC? Rain teams are getting some nice tools with several new weather ball/hurricane users like zapdos, tornadus, and raikou, so they seem potentially powerful once the blatantly broken pokemon get banned. Rain has been up and down this gen but has been mostly mediocre. I am curious whether these new tools are enough to make rain a legitimately consistent archetype like it was in SM. I have not looked at the potential additions to sun, but having cinderace back should be good for those teams. Heatran/moltres/victini are other mons that could benefit sun a lot. I'd imagine once the meta settles, sand will still be good like it is in pretty much every gen ttar/exca can pair up. What do you guys think?

Reactions: Eve

shadowpea

is a Tiering Contributor
The difference between banded strong jaw vish and banded sand rush zolt is an extra choice band on the vish attack (strong jaw boosted 1.5x). The differences is a 573.75 BP Water move vs a 382.25 BP electric move. Also, electric has better checks in ground types.
Welp I guess I forgot about that... still, Dracozolt will be terrifying in sand (and the ground types is why we run Kartana). Too bad it doesn't get Swords Dance.

I have seen those "leaks" and am pretty sure they're just photoshops of pokemondb.net stat profiles lol. I highly doubt they are true.

In order to keep this from being a one-liner, I am curious what you guys think about the potential power level of weather teams post-DLC? Rain teams are getting some nice tools with several new weather ball/hurricane users like zapdos, tornadus, and raikou, so they seem potentially powerful once the blatantly broken pokemon get banned. Rain has been up and down this gen but has been mostly mediocre. I am curious whether these new tools are enough to make rain a legitimately consistent archetype like it was in SM. I have not looked at the potential additions to sun, but having cinderace back should be good for those teams. Heatran/moltres/victini are other mons that could benefit sun a lot. I'd imagine once the meta settles, sand will still be good like it is in pretty much every gen ttar/exca can pair up. What do you guys think?
Hail is still bad sadly. Gets arctozolt and arctovish as abusers now, so maybe in lower tiers...
Sand is quite nice, but it will likely remain good stuffs, with ttar as a defensive Mon or hippo and excadrill can still run its sand abuse SD set.
Rain is strong... Until you factor in grassy terrain. While it gets some nice flying types, it could still be overrun by grassy terrain teams, but defo stronger than before.
Sun remains terrifying, especially the torkoal/zard/Venu core, now with more fire abuse from victini (or Cinderace, whatever you choose)

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
The (UNCONFIRMED) leaks that I saw on aDrive state that they will have a base speed of 100. Specifically:
RegiDrago:
Hp: 80
Attack: 200
Defense: 50
Spatk: 100

Regieleki:
Hp:80
Atk: 100
Def: 50
Spatk: 200

These are UNCONFIRMED, but either way I can see these being real/very close.
IMO, it'd make much more sense for them to keep 80 HP, which is a common trait in all regis, as well as 50 speed.
For both of them, I'd imagine either an equal defensive spread, with a bad opposing attack, or a loss in one of the defenses in favour for a bit more of their opposing attak stat.
For regidrago, I'd imagine 80/200/100/50/100/50 or 80/200/100/100/50/50. (Physical attacker with physical bulk makes the most sense.)
And for regieleki: 80/50/100/200/100/50 or 80/100/50/200/100/50.

I'd personally lean towards the side of the bad opposing defense, because a mon with a unique weakness with 80/100/100 defenses as well as 200 special attack seems borked as hell.

Alright any last-minute "predictions" before things can be fact-checked? Comes out in 15 at the time of this post.

Predictions for new mons:
Regieleki: Uber/UUBL
Regidrago: Uber/UUBL
Calyrex: Uber
Ice Horse: UU
Ghost horse: UUBL/OU

also have we heard anything about new move tutors like in crown tundra? Is my wish for an Ice U-turn never gonna come true :(

Alright any last-minute "predictions" before things can be fact-checked? Comes out in 15 at the time of this post.

Predictions for new mons:
Regieleki: Uber/UUBL
Regidrago: Uber/UUBL
Calyrex: Uber
Ice Horse: UU
Ghost horse: UUBL/OU

also have we heard anything about new move tutors like in crown tundra? Is my wish for an Ice U-turn never gonna come true :(
It says on the Official Website that there aren't tutors, sorry :/
Hyped

shadowpea

is a Tiering Contributor

Sand I think will be fine with mons like Hippo, Ttar, Drill, Kartana (not strictly a sand mon but extremely useful for them regardless), and now Dracozolt with its ridiculous power. I'm really excited to try Aurorous + Alolan Sandslash/Arctovish/Arctozolt in the lower tiers but I don't know in OU.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Dual Wingbeat

This thing hard checks pheromosa,zygarde,lando-i,lando-t,garchomp,KB,melmetal,can eat a LO blaziken's stab fire move and KO back with dual wingbeat
I agree, I think buzz will be really good. In addition to the things you mentioned it also gives a great check to urshifu-s, most it can do is 25% with band and DW can take down bulk up variants. Think HDB will be great as an alternative option on it as well with its instant recovery move and looking forward to messing around with it. Alongside Heatran and a bulky flying type I think that could evolve to be a really good defensive core for balance/ bulky offense teams when they become viable in the metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)