RMT Dissonance (Peaked #8, 1480 ELO)

Proof of ladder peak:

have to update my peak since I accidentally got into a ladder match and went up
Overview:

This team has been my standard since the beginning of Generation VI. It's gone through a lot of iterations, but I couldn't tell you what most of them were because it's been months since I changed this team. I got back into CAP recently (was pretty active in it in Generation V) and realized I still had a decent position on the ladder, so I decided to keep going. Surprisingly, my team hasn't undergone serious changes since I did. It seems to still hold firm. Now, I'm really bad at writing introductions to teams and stuff, so uh. Let's just get to the meat of this.

Colossoil @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Colossoil is phenomonal in the CAP meta. With a strong 122 base Attack, a superb offensive typing, and Guts to boost it further. Assault Vest is a more common set, but I find the sheer power (and status immunity) that Flame Orb Guts offers to be far more worth it. This usually serves as my lead. Fake Out breaks sashes, Knock Off is an extremely strong, spammable STAB, Earthquake OHKOs Sylveon and Cyclohm and serves as secondary STAB, Sucker Punch revenge kills threats like Charizard and Syclant. Colossoil, in addition to being incredibly hard to switch into, safeguards my team against certain sweepers that I can't wall by revenging them. It beats certain leads, such as Stratagem, by breaking their Sash with Fake Out and taking them down with Sucker Punch

Kitsunoh @ Life Orb
Trait: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Strike
- Knock Off Defog
- Meteor Mash
- Will-O-Wisp

Kitsunoh is a reliable answer to Fairies like Sylveon, resisting their STAB and taking them out with Meteor Mash. It can also check a variety of physical attackers by burning them before they can hit it. The item loss of Knock Off, the defense drop of Shadow Strike, and the Attack boost of Meteor Mash make it somewhat difficult to switch into. Its excellent defensive typing lets it switch into a lot of pokemon regardless of its average bulk. I'm considering replacing Knock Off for U-Turn for momentum because I've found playing with this team that most things that might want to switch in (and thus lose their item) have often already lost it to Colossoil. U-Turn would let me pivot out to a check while they switch in. Thoughts on that change? Replaced Knock Off with Defog on suggestion of Tadasuke.

Tomohawk @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spa
Modest Nature
- Reflect
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Roost

Tomohawk is a defining force in the CAP meta. I personally prefer an offensive spin on the standard Reflect-o-Hawk set. The Spa EVs allow it to use its good offensive typing to threaten switch-ins like Cyclohm (who is 2HKO'd after Stealth Rock by Aura Sphere with this spread). Prankster Reflect is amazing, letting it check almost any physical attacker without super effective STAB. It's the first part of my defensive core.

Malaconda @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Rapid Spin Heal Bell

Malaconda serves as my special wall and hazard remover. Its special bulk is insane, as not even non-STAB super effective attacks from most attackers can break it. It can spin safely, dissuading Ghost types from switching in with Knock Off, and phaze attackers it can't beat with Dragon Tail. Substitute lets it drag itself into pinch berry range to trigger Sitrus healing and safely phaze or Knock Off switch-ins. Replaced Rapid Spin with Heal Bell due to swapping in Defog on Kit.

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
Trait: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Spa / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Slack Off

Cyclohm counters Cawmodore and a variety of other physical attackers, completing my physical defensive core with Tomohawk. I run speed creep to outspeed and KO other Cyclohm. I think 44 hits a specific number to outspeed something else crucial, but I made this EV spread months ago so I honestly don't remember what. After investing in HP, the rest is dumped into Spa to hit switch-ins. In particular, non-AV Colossoil a minimum 74% from Hydro Pump, preventing it from switching in to block Discharge. Even carrying an Assault Vest, it has a chance to be 2HKO'd, meaning it can't switch in repeatedly.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast Hidden Power (Ground)
- Substitute

Fairy is an absolutely superb typing in the CAP meta, and Mega Gardevoir is one of the best Fairies available. With Pixilate boosted Hyper Voice off 165 Spa, almost nothing wants to switch in to it. It reliably switches into many CAP threats, the most prominent being Tomohawk. It can take an Aura Sphere or Air Slash and use Prankster to get a guaranteed Substitute up before Tomohawk can Toxic or Taunt it, assuming it stays in at all. With Substitute up, it defeats (or at least gets some free damage on) many things that would otherwise defeat it, such as Colossoil and Talonflame. While riskier, it can check Colossoil if Substitute hasn't been revealed yet by subbing on the Sucker Punch and then KOing it. Talonflame takes a minimum of 68% from Psyshock, so if it has a bit of prior damage it can no longer force out a Mega Gardevoir behind a Substitute. This is my primay win condition, as once it gets a Sub it can clean out weakened teams easily. Replaced Focus Blast with HP Ground.

Threats:

Kyurem-b: I cannot wall mixed Kyurem-B. It can dismantle my entire defensive core, and Mega Gardevoir cannot switch in safely due to the threat of Fusion Bolt. While it has trouble switching into my team in general, if it does get a switch it can cause serious damage. Gardevoir can revenge it, however, forcing it out and setting up a Substitute.

Charizard: Again, I have nothing that can switch into either Charizard form. They can both be revenge'd with Colossoil, however, and largely have trouble switching into most of my team, meaning that I can usually play around it fairly well.

Pinsir (with Earthquake): If it carries Earthquake, I can't stop Mega Pinsir after it sets up a Swords Dance. Most of my team can prevent it from setting up, but this becomes a dangerous 50-50 when it can also choose to attack.

Landorus-I: As is the common theme with the threats to this team, I can't really wall Landorus-I. It can switch in on several of my mons and start wreaking havoc, but I can revenge it with Colossoil, and it takes some prediction to switch in.
Importable:
Colossoil @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Kitsunoh @ Life Orb
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Strike
- Meteor Mash
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Tomohawk @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Reflect
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Roost

Malaconda @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Heal Bell

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Slack Off

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute

Thanks for reading!
All critique and comments are welcome.

Last edited:

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Colo isn't TadaSoil set, 0/100000000

In all seriousness, this is a decent team, but there are a few holes that need patching up. First of all, you have a huge Fairy weakness that Kitsu isn't bulky or strong enough to patch up. I don't think I've ever in my life seen a Rapid Spin Malaconda, but from what I know about Mala, it's a waste of a moveslot for it. Defog is a perfectly reasonable move on Kitsunoh, and both Tomohawk and Colossoil outshine Malaconda is a bulky spinner. Will-O-Wisp or Knock Off can be taken out of Kitsunoh's set to tech in Defog, but you may want to drop the Life Orb. For the Tomohawk, try running 248 HP as opposed to 252. This allows you to switch in on Stealth Rocks more frequently. The final four EVs can be put into Def. Lastly, running HP Ground over Focus Miss on Gardevoir would be preferable, as that its primary target is going to be Heatran. Lastly, most of your weaknesses can be patched up by using Air Balloon or Scarf Heatran instead of Kitsunoh. It can switch in on a Mega Pinsir's EQ then Lava Plume it to death. Lava Plume and Eruption also can scare Kyurem-B.

Thanks for the pictures and playing on the ladder!

Edit: Add Landorus to your Threats List.

Colo isn't TadaSoil set, 0/100000000

In all seriousness, this is a decent team, but there are a few holes that need patching up. First of all, you have a huge Fairy weakness that Kitsu isn't bulky or strong enough to patch up. I don't think I've ever in my life seen a Rapid Spin Malaconda, but from what I know about Mala, it's a waste of a moveslot for it. Defog is a perfectly reasonable move on Kitsunoh, and both Tomohawk and Colossoil outshine Malaconda is a bulky spinner. Will-O-Wisp or Knock Off can be taken out of Kitsunoh's set to tech in Defog, but you may want to drop the Life Orb. For the Tomohawk, try running 248 HP as opposed to 252. This allows you to switch in on Stealth Rocks more frequently. The final four EVs can be put into Def. Lastly, running HP Ground over Focus Miss on Gardevoir would be preferable, as that its primary target is going to be Heatran. Lastly, most of your weaknesses can be patched up by using Air Balloon or Scarf Heatran instead of Kitsunoh. It can switch in on a Mega Pinsir's EQ then Lava Plume it to death. Lava Plume and Eruption also can scare Kyurem-B.

Thanks for the pictures and playing on the ladder!

Edit: Add Landorus to your Threats List.
Mega Gardevoir and Mega Mawile are the only Fairies I've ever had trouble with, and Mawile is gone as soon as the server restarts. I did forget to add M-Garde to the threatlist, though; I'm not very good at writing those because I memorize threats subconsciously. I can only remember big threats to my team after battling them. Calm Mind Clefable can be a problem too, but I can play around it fairly easily.

Rapid Spin was crammed onto Malaconda because nothing else could fit it, but I actually didn't know until like yesterday that Kitsunoh could even learn Defog, so I hadn't thought much about it. I'll probably replace Rapid Spin on Conda with Heal Bell and Koff on Kit with Defog. I'll try Leftovers or Air Balloon over Life Orb on Kit for a while and see what I think on that.

I totally forgot about SR numbers when making Tomohawk (and I suppose it's a fairly minor thing anyway) so I'll fix that.

I only very recently swapped Focus Blast in (it was more of an experiment than anything) because what I had in that slot was underperforming a little, so I'll try HP ground.

Good point on Landorus; I'll add it.

Thanks for the rate!

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm personally struggling to see what exactly Malaconda does for your team. It seems to be a status healer, and that's it... Dragon Tail is a good phazing move, but your team lacks any form of hazards to actually use it to good effect. Knock Off also seems useful, but your Colossoil is going to do that better anyway. In terms of typing synergy for your team, Malaconda doesn't off much either. It shares a Bug and Fighting weakness with Colossoil, a Fire Weakness with Kit, and a Fairy/Ice weakness with Colo/Clohm/Tomo. Kit is your only Fairy/Ice resist, and as Tadasuke mentioned, he really can't fill that hole too well all on his own. When I look at a team, typing synergy is something I take very seriously, and your team doesn't score well in that department...

I think your team's strong point probably is that it has some unexpected offensive pressure. Flame Orb Colo and Special Attack invested Tomo/Cyclohm aren't what I generally think of having for those three mons, but that extra fire power has a lot of potential to catch foes off guard. However, you're pretty much sacrificing bulk for this power, and with your team synergy you might find yourself hardpressed to to take some hits later on in your ladder career.

Of your 4 threats lists, Malaconda pretty much has no chance against Kyurem, Charizard, or Pinsir, and doesn't have too much to threaten Landorus. Sure, it can take a Sludge Wave, and Knock Off his orb and Dragon Tail him out, but overall Malaconda is not really a Landorus wall. All in all, Malaconda is probably your weak link, but you might have to do more swapping that just with the snake if you want to sort your typing synergy out. Your offensive coverage is quite nice, but it seems like it might not do too well against faster opponents that can get in a few hits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)