Diablo III

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Stagnant over the course of Act 1 I used more skills than I used on every character in every playthrough of Diablo 2. And where would I put my stat points? Mostly into primary damage stat, partly into vitality. Just like the game already does. Think about how instead you can heavily influence stat points with items, I've almost doubled my Demon Hunter's dexterity. Choice also heavily impacts your skills, with 150 skills per class, 125 ones that are scaled for endgame (as opposed to about 4 per class in Diablo 2) and only 6 slots to put them in. I'm very proud of my Witch Doctor and Barbarian loadouts (crazy AoE for the Barb is awesome).

Of course it's a different game, it is a sequel. Diablo 2 changed just as much. PvP is coming.

Turned on Explict Mode or w/e in options. Game instantly became more interesting. aaand I'm addicted auction house. which is bad because since I;m buying items for my level.. I'ma have to wait like 2 days just to use item... if I win. .-.

This game brings much excitement and much frustration.

Tested the game, beaten normal.

As I said , all skills are the same for everyone, you essentialy grind, level up, and farm, no difference between you and that guy in Osaka, you will be playing the same clonic character. Runes are an "ok"ish feature, with fancy graphics, etc, until you realise most of them are useless piece of crap in comparison of the good and usable ones, At best, you will end up with a "mob dealer rune-skill set" and a "boss killer runeskill-set", and you won't change it, like, never. But that's not an specific bad thing, because most Hack'n'Slash usually fall into this error, like its predecessor.

Nah, you know things are going wrong when all skills damage are based on your weapon's damage, even spells. SPELLS. And why would they do such a thing? Oh, let's see....
"if all damage dealt by players is determined by the best weapons and primary stat boosting via equipment, we should create an auction house to encourage RealLife cash spending for those who are addicted to videogames. This way, those who can afford to spend a fortune in items and gear will be rewarded with greater chances to succeed in this game"

:) lovely
Sorry, but I can't like that. Even with all the props this game has, this is a hell of a big BOOH.. Middle finger to you , Diablo$. I hafta endure enough crooks in this cruel world to be enduring even more unfair bullshit in a videogame.

It just wouldn't be an RPG thread without a nonsensical complaint barely written in readable English, I guess. The people we get on this site...

Tested the game, beaten normal.

As I said , all skills are the same for everyone, you essentialy grind, level up, and farm, no difference between you and that guy in Osaka, you will be playing the same clonic character. Runes are an "ok"ish feature, with fancy graphics, etc, until you realise most of them are useless piece of crap in comparison of the good and usable ones, At best, you will end up with a "mob dealer rune-skill set" and a "boss killer runeskill-set", and you won't change it, like, never. But that's not an specific bad thing, because most Hack'n'Slash usually fall into this error, like its predecessor.

Nah, you know things are going wrong when all skills damage are based on your weapon's damage, even spells. SPELLS. And why would they do such a thing? Oh, let's see....
"if all damage dealt by players is determined by the best weapons and primary stat boosting via equipment, we should create an auction house to encourage RealLife cash spending for those who are addicted to videogames. This way, those who can afford to spend a fortune in items and gear will be rewarded with greater chances to succeed in this game"

:) lovely
Sorry, but I can't like that. Even with all the props this game has, this is a hell of a big BOOH.. Middle finger to you , Diablo$. I hafta endure enough crooks in this cruel world to be enduring even more unfair bullshit in a videogame.
You sir can not claim to review the game after beating normal. For example you will get crap loot unless you retain the same skills/runes once you hit 60 so there with be no swaping between sets of skills like you talk about. But hey i can spew bile and bullshit to let me try.

AMG D3 WAS MADE 2 BE $$GRAB FRM STRT!!! I BEAT NORMAL MODE I KNOW WHATS UP GUYS.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
All spells scale off a universal variable? God forbid that all spells be scaled for endgame. Diablo 2 was totally better when I only used Frozen Orb for 50 hours.

In Diablo 2 there was no difference between you and some guy in Osaka, unless you were an idiot and maxed Teeth on your Necromancer. At least in Diablo 3 each class has character, with different motivations expressed through cut scenes and voice acting. And you know what? My friend and I have played every class, and we don't use the same skills set up for any of them. We are demonstrably different Wizards, him being a melee Diamond Skin explosion type and me being all about ranged.

Diablo 2 came out 12 years ago and I'm going to say it. It is fucking dog shit compared to Diablo 3. D3 is the most innovative and fun Western RPG since Knights of the Old Republic. Video games move forward, game design techniques advance. The fact that you clearly don't want that to happen means you aren't a gamer in my eyes. You could stand to learn a few basics about business too, because anyone with a brain knows that Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 are incredibly involved games that lose Blizzard WoW money. The auction house is what is going to prevent Diablo 3 from being a loss in profits, which means it is why we are blessed with this game. And having lost my grandfather last sunday, I am fucking blessed to be able to play this game with my best of friends right now.

Also you are naive if you think people didn't spend real money to get ahead in Diablo 2.

VonFiedler, I you haven't played enough Diablo2 to do such an statement, because there's a world of difference between an axe-enchantress, a blizzarder and a frozen orber, and they are all sorceress. Only to name three of them

Anyway, you are right: Diablo2 is fucking dog shit compared to Diablo3. But that doesn't make Diablo3 a good game. Heck, I actually like it, but it's only that I can't stand what I stated in my previous post about profiting from videogame addiction. ( what you blandly call "new game design techniques" ).
I know people spent real money in D2 via farmers, soj dupers, and what not. But it wasn't encouraged by Blizzard itself.

I hope you finally understand my point of view.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Enchantress is a bad build, and yes, you can either spam Blizzard so that you can opt for a weak Fire spell if you are solo, or spam Frozen Orb if in a group. Either way after 12 years it got really old.

I didn't call the auction house a new game design technique. I don't know how you got that out of what I said when I hadn't even brought up the auction house at that point. The scaling spells and rune variations that you knocked are advancements, and we could be here all day if we went down the list. Being able to just cast things at level 1 is huge even.

I'm not sure that I could have designed a better sequel, and I am very arrogant.

EDIT: Also the auction house is genius. What do you want them to do, discourage real money spending? People can do whatever the fuck they want, either eBay profits or Blizzard does. And like I said, Blizzard potentially loses money on any new game they make as every WoW player I know is playing D3, and may continue for months. For you to make any legitimate argument that Blizzard is morally reprehensible you'd have to argue that they are first purposefully causing video game addiction, and when you compare MMORPGs to the tactics of the company that makes Farmville it just doesn't stack up.

It's a bit of a ridiculous statement, though. They're a gaming company, profiting from video game "addiction" is how they make their money, by selling games. This is just another aspect of it that also passes on part of that profit to the consumer.

There's nothing inherently addictive about the RMAH and it is entirely optional. Will someone who pisses their real money away on a full set of items have an advantage over someone who doesn't? Most likely, just like how it was in D2. You should have a decent chance of keeping up with them if you use the gold AH intelligently, though.

Also a little surprised that you're already claiming that everyone uses the same spec for every class. Isn't it a bit early to claim that the classes are all bland and one dimensional because everyone got their spec from gameFAQs, or whatever? It's only been out for 5 days...

So ya, d3 ain't got shit on d2 in the item department.. and then taking into consideration how items in d2 can you good non-class skills.

2 different games. D3 is good but like I said before it wont even touch D2 in terms of PvP.

You look incredibly intelligent making that statement when D3 hasn't even released its PvP at all yet. You don't look like a whiny fanboy of the previous entry at all. Just fyi.

It's not even worth replying seriously to the people complaining about the game in this thread because everything being complained about it so off-the-wall-stupid that I'm probably not doing my job by not warning/deleting them.

I'll definitely have to consider D3 but I might wait for the price to cool down a bit. The $60 is steep for a game that people are constantly comparing to D2 as far as items and PvP goes.

Has anyone done that anywhere outside of the moron who posted before me here...?

Yes, D3 doesn't have PVP yet(at least partially because apparently MLG has their hands in it) because Blizzard wound up wanting to make it more competitively-oriented than they'd originally planned and took more time to do it well rather than to just rush the release in whatever state they had done with the game's launch or delay the game's release completely for it. This isn't news to anyone.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've only ever played D1 so this will be inevitably awesome when I get around to buying it. 60 bucks though, sheesh. Video games sure have come a long way

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If Blizzard is morally reprehensible it's because they're owned by Activision/Vivendi now, not because of anything they did with regards to Diablo 3. ;[

Also Enigma fucking ruins Diablo 2 PvP what a stupid fucking runeword universal Teleport -_----------------------- Makes other mobility skills entirely pointless, including the increased run speed stat that Enigma itself also has, except for desynching bitches with Charge so you can blindside one-shot them with Hammers or Charge itself. It makes Amazon a joke class because of its god-awful casting speed and marginalizes the Sorceress by universalizing the biggest perk of playing her, Jah and Ber runes in particular become ungodly scarce, blah blah blah. Other Runewords are fine, though they could've done the same thing just designing all the cool ones as Unique items with identical properties instead of implementing a separate mechanic for it. Because fuck finding ethereal socketed items.

All spells scale off a universal variable? God forbid that all spells be scaled for endgame. Diablo 2 was totally better when I only used Frozen Orb for 50 hours.

In Diablo 2 there was no difference between you and some guy in Osaka, unless you were an idiot and maxed Teeth on your Necromancer.
fuck you my dentist build will destroy all :chaos:

Diablo 2 is an amazing game in its own right, don't let the trolls win by insulting it. Most of the problems of the game stem from its age, not its execution. You're not giving enough credit to some of the less common build options. What's wrong with Enchantress? Less efficient than a Barbarian or melee Assassin, sure, but who the fuck cares. It's different, it's fun, it's decent enough to play through the game with. The addition of synergies from Lord of Destruction makes even most lower-tier skills quite potent when used properly. And if you want to mega-tryhard in PvP particularly, the only "viable" build is a Skelemancer with Enigma abusing the stacking bug to make yourself basically invulnerable while one-shotting everyone with your gigantic mob of superpowered skeletons. For maximum douchebaggery, go Revive some Gloams and spam Bone Wall everywhere too.

It's true there are only so many things you can do but that's true of every game except for pure sandbox games like Minecraft. Diablo 2 gives you three skill trees to work with per class, many of which allow for multiple divergent builds (e.g. Fire, Ice, Strafe/MS Bowazons; Poison and Lightning Javazons plus Spear skills). Including some of the better oskills present on items like Wolfhowl or "Chaos," which open up builds based on a completely different class's skills, there's hundreds of ways to enjoy yourself in the game.

I can only imagine the plenitude of skills in D3 will make it a worthy successor, not to mention more stuff they can still patch in or implement in expansions. And they haven't even added PvP yet, which in D2 was mostly an afterthought tacked onto the PvE game and generally dominated by douchebags abusing the honor system on which D2's PvP is entirely reliant. D3's PvP can become so much more if Blizzard really is looking to make it actually competitive.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
got it
getting errors

got fucking angry, overreacted and reinstalled windows

GAME WORKS I LOVE THIS smash bash and fuck you minions

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Blizzard isn't owned by Activision, they are Activision. Only one of these companies printed money before the merger.

I don't mean to insult the game that I've possibly put the most time into, but I replayed it through Hell in preparation for D3 and yeah it's hella dated. It's just amazing on how many fronts D3 improves, while other Diablo clones like Torchlight and Titan's Quest improved on some ends but lacked in others.

pookar

Banned deucer.
me and matamato rolling through normal

sadly have died twice, once to >tree and one after i got a dudes head and the boss came and matamato was afk

MONK OP best hero in game

Has anyone done that anywhere outside of the moron who posted before me here...?
Consider yourself lucky to have never read the D3 general forums or... anywhere else that has a congregation of Diablo fans, for that matter. There are wall to wall complaints about everything, from art direction to items (I wanted to use my level 10 legendary until level 60 I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO REPLACE IT) to bitching about online play and any other number of things.

Some complaints are kind of valid until people start screaming about how they'll file an e-lawsuit, but I'll never really understand the art direction complaints... saying it's too cartoony and WoW-like and not gorey/grimmdarque enough. It really makes me wonder whether people have played either of these games because they're nothing alike, to the point where the fact they used the WoW boar model for the DH pet is incredibly distracting because it looks utterly different to everything else in D3. Kind of a stupid choice, IMO, especially if they wanted to avoid the D3 = WoW complaints.

Speaking of cartoons, has anyone been to Whimsyshire yet? Is the rod or whatever meant to be a permanent item or is it an incredibly expensive one time use? I heard rumours it was meant to be permanent but have also heard claims that it's disappearing after use.

@synre

Just following Thund's post. You can't argue in anyway that D2 items are not superior to D3 items. Sure you get "more" (bracers/shoulders) items to use in d3 but you don't get quality. The Items and PvP are obviously two different subjects that was sort of meshed together.

Also, while I maybe a "d2 fanboy" atleast I keep my frustrations towards the games and not the members (unless I'm confronted...).

It just wouldn't be an RPG thread without a nonsensical complaint barely written in readable English, I guess. The people we get on this site...
You look incredibly intelligent making that statement when D3 hasn't even released its PvP at all yet. You don't look like a whiny fanboy of the previous entry at all. Just fyi.

You're still shitting up the thread with pointless, unfounded remarks, which is why I called you out. Consider it an alternative to a warning since you're posting in a forum. I'll just take the other route next time, I guess.

rules said:
Read over the post you're about to make. if it's not funny or intelligent or otherwise entertaining, delete it and start over then return to step 1. if it is funny or intelligent or otherwise entertaining, post that bad boy up. Thanks in advance!
There's nothing funny, intelligent, or entertaining about complaining thoughtlessly about D3 because it isn't D2. You aren't the only poster in this thread who seems to be having this problem.

Having more qualities on D2 items doesn't make the item system inherently better in any way. Having more things doesn't in itself add any interesting gameplay elements and many of the item options that are in D2 and not D3 created more issues in balance than solutions. Thund's post didn't have much actual content either but the information in the post had a pretty obvious intent since he, too, was posting after a stupid post by someone complaining about something that isn't a problem in regard to everyone having access to the same pool of spells, even though the rune options available give every class more potential options than their D2 equivalents. Not every rune is really viable, obviously -- nor was every spell in D2 -- but there's plenty of abilities, like Wizard's Arcane Orb, where 3 or 4 of the runes are pretty viable options in situations even at max level and nearly every ability for every class has some situational utility with the right rune (even before PvP's release, which should make a lot of spells better than they are now).

Items exist in game to give characters progression and something to work for with character strength, as well as a way to improve their stats to fit their playstyle. Having more options available doesn't inherently improve those functions or the game: adding a bunch of options that negatively impact the game's balance or that are unintuitive can do as much harm as good. You're being pretty foolish if you honestly think having a longer list of options on an item is an inherent strength for a game.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Just following Thund's post. You can't argue in anyway that D2 items are not superior to D3 items.
while d2 had a great number of items, dont forget it also had a number of patches and an expansion.

meanwhile in d3, i started play my barbarian in inferno. early on in hell i found i had trouble soloing so i switched my dps build (4700 dps unbuffed) to a more tanky build (currently like 1200 dps). now ive been partying with people and tanking the shit out of everything. but god, with so much hp the mobs have it takes forever to kill them (god forbid they have some stupid shit like shielding or minion invulnerbility)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)