Dhelmise

#781 - The Sea Creeper Pokemon

Resists -

Weaknesses -

Immunities -

Ability - Steel Worker
-
Powers up Steel-type moves
Stats - 70 HP / 131 Atk / 100 Def / 86 SpA / 90 SpD / 40 Spe (517 Total)
Level-Up Movepool
Lv 0 - Switcheroo
Lv 0 - Absorb
Lv 0 - Growth
Lv 0 - Rapid Spin
Lv 0 - Astonish
Lv 5 - Mega Drain
Lv 9 - Wrap
Lv 14 - Gyro Ball
Lv 18 - Metal Sound
Lv 23 - Giga Drain
Lv 27 - Whirlpool
Lv 32 - Anchor Shot
Lv 36 - Shadow Ball
Lv 41 - Energy Ball
Lv 45 - Slam
Lv 50 - Heavy Slam
Lv 54 - Phantom Force
Lv 59 - Power Whip

TMs
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM53 Energy Ball
TM59 Brutal Swing
TM63 Embargo
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM74 Gyro Ball
TM75 Swords Dance
TM78 Bulldoze
TM80 Rock Slide
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Surf
TM100 Confide

New Moves
Anchor Shot -
The user entangles the target with its anchor chain while attacking. The target becomes unable to flee.
Brutal Swing - The user swings its body around violently to inflict damage on everything in its vicinity.

Analysis
The release of Sun and Moon brought forth 2 additional Ghost/Grass types being Decidueye and Dhelmise. Decidueye, essentially, stole the spotlight away as the premiere Ghost/Grass type most likely due to its design, leaving Dhelmise away in the corner. Anyways, Dhelmise is the first mon to receive triple stab with its ability, Steel Worker, which empowers Steel-type moves by 1 stage. Dhelmise is also the first Ghost-type to receive Rapid Spin, and due to its typing, it is able to threaten out most common spin blockers and spinners while still being a spin blocker and spinner (does that make sense?). With a base of 131 Attack and acceptable 70/100/90 bulk, Dhelmise becomes a sheer bulky offense presence and it can function as a bulky wallbreaker as well. However, Dhelmise has many options such as Brick Break, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Rapid Spin, Toxic and triple stab which causes it to suffer from 4MSS because it either has to sacrifice coverage or stab. It is also very, very slow with base 40 Spe but, it can be remedied with Trick Room.

On a side note... The reason Dhelmise is Grass/Ghost is because the Pokemon is the algae/seaweed that's possessing the anchor. The Pokemon is not the anchor itself. Which is why it gets Steel Worker because the possessed seaweed is swinging that anchor around.

Potential Sets

Assault Vest
Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steel Worker
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Att / 110 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Claw / Earthquake

This set maximizes Dhelmise's bulk and offensive capabilities. 148 Att EVs allows Dhelmise to 2OHKO Mega Sableye who is the only reliable spin blocker to Dhelmise. 252 HP and 110 SpD Evs maximize Dhelmise's Special Bulk along with Assault Vest. Rapid Spin is essential for hazard removal. Power Whip and Gyro Ball utilize Dhelmise's stab and high base attack. The last slot is based on what you need, Shadow Claw is another stab move while Earthquake can be used to weaken Steel and Fire types such as Excadrill, Heatran and Bisharp upon switch-in.

Choice Band
Dhelmise @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw / Switcheroo / Rapid Spin

This set fully utilizes Dhelmise's strong base 131 Attack to the fullest. Maximizing bulk with HP allows Dhelmise to live hits better and retaliate with a much more powerful Gyro Ball (as opposed to Anchor Shot). Dual stab with Power Whip and Gyro Ball hits the majority of the tier for good damage. Earthquake is essential for hitting Steel and Fire types upon switch-in. While the last slot can utilize Shadow Claw for tertiary stab, Switcheroo to cripple utility mons or special attackers such as Clefable, defensive Starmie and Zapdos, or Rapid Spin to remove hazards.

Set Up a Trap
Dhelmise @ Leftovers / Ghostium Z / Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot

With Anchor Shot, Dhelmise is able to set up on mons such as Tapu Bulu, Breloom, or Chansey with Swords Dance after trapping them. Leftovers can be used for some form of recovery while the Z-Crystals can help amp up Dhelmise's power for a single move. Power Whip is essential for a strong stab move. The last slot can utilize Shadow Claw for another reliable stab move or Earthquake for incoming Steel types.

Set Up a Trap 2.0
Dhelmise @ Leftovers / Ghostium Z / Grassium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Anchor Shot

Like the above set, this set focuses on Dhelmise as a mixed attacker instead. Growth increases Dhelmise's SpA and Att which compliments its stab Giga Drain for some form of recovery. The last slot is filled with Shadow Claw or Earthquake because of the aforementioned reasons.

Budget Gothitelle
Dhelmise @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpD / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Toxic
- Phantom Force
- Substitute / Protect

This set focuses on Dhelmise's ability to trap and remove mons through stalling. 84 Spe EVs lets Dhelmise outspeed Chansey and Tangrowth while the rest of the EVs are added to HP and SpD to maximize bulk. Anchor Shot is essential for trapping utility mons (defensive Starmie, Celebi, Slowbro) while Toxic is able to whittle the victim down slowly. A combination of Protect and Phantom Force stalls out even more turns while giving Dhelmise more opportunities to slowly restore HP with Leftovers. Substitute can be used instead of Protect to protect Dhelmise from status conditions.

Conclusion
Dhelmise will be an important asset to take note in the forthcoming OU meta. Dhelmise has amazing offensive capabilities with triple stab and high offensive stats which allow it to check the majority of the tier. Dhelmise also sports decent bulk and having access to Rapid Spin makes it a threat to hazard setters, spin blockers, and other spinners (Starmie and Excadrill). Even though it is currently outshined by Decidueye, I believe Dhelmise will be able to coexist with Decidueye while rising up to become a scary mon in the OU tier.

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Is the last set good enough to take down Chansey or any Regenerator/NaturalCure pokemon?
I tailored the set a bit so Dhelmise could be able to beat other bulky mons. Dhelmise can beat Chansey 1v1 if it doesn't have Heal Bell, if it does, then it would be a PP stall war. Dhelmise can outspeed and beat Tangrowth 1v1 with sub/protect/phantomforce stall. It can also beat mons like non-Baton Pass Celebi, Starmie, Alomomola, Slowking/bro.

Last edited:
Sigh why couldn't Dhelmise get leech seed. I knew it got rapid spin so I was going to put it on a stall team I was making using Tapu Bulus grassy field and hazards/statuses. A spin blocker and a spinner in one. If I could have given it leftovers+leech seed+a few turns of grassy terrain it would be a monster. Trap something that can't touch it with Anchor Shot then leech and laugh while it dies of toxic and leech seed while you passively recover all of your hp.

I'm really excited to see how this mon fairs once the meta has settles a bit. It unfortunately can't do much in the current state of OU while crap like Aegislash is running around, but I think it will be a great OU spinner. 3 STABs including a damaging trapping move in Anchor Shot is also fantastic and allows it to hit a LOT more Pokemon for decent damage, including many Grass resists like Mega Venusaur, and prevent double switching. No ghost can safely switch in on this thing with that massive Attack stat and Shadow Claw, and Toxic + Phantom Force can really punish defensive players too. Really excited for this one, and I'm gonna abuse an Assault Vest set when the meta has settled a little.

Dhelmise is such an Interesting Pokémon. I wish people talked more about it. But eh, the Decidueye hype never ends it seems. Dhelmise is one of my favorite new Pokémon of this generation, I just like his design too much. I love how that phantom seaweed is possessing and holding the anchor and helm together, and how, maybe as a way to intimidate predators (if that thing wasnt scary enough) the seaweed covers the anchor in a sharp teeth way and that compass serves as an eye. Much like Mimikyu, Dhelmise excells in the disguise talent. Swinging that anchor around is also fucking brutal if you ask me.

Anyways, Dhelmise has great well-rounded stats, higher BST than Decidueye and, correct me if I'm wrong, higher offensive presence and all-around bulk. Dhelmise's demise however (ha!) is that unlike Decidueye, it lacks a recovery option. Funily enough, both get Swords Dance and a trapping move, which is kinda weird on GF's manners to make two Pokémon THAT similar. Dhelmise may be outshined by Decidueye for now, but I think that it has some niches over it, mainly that high 131 base attack, that juicy triple STAB, high BP moves, and access to Earthquake. It's sad that it doesnt get any recovery options, not even Leech Seed. I believe that, unless people find a good niche for it in the OU tier, Dhelmise might find its way in the UU or RU tiers really, really well, and I think that it has it's own uses that arent outclassed by either Gourgeist or Trevenant. Love this cute algae.

Dhelmise's niche is being possibly the least passive spinner in the game. First because of its possible 397 Atk 225 power Gyro Balls. Second because Grass + Steel + Ground is coverage to hit every single type super-effectively that resists Gyro Ball except some mons like Skarmory off the top of my head - don't be fooled by its Ghost-typing to put it as your 3rd attack. I'm going to test it with Blissey who can both set SR up, let Dhelmise spin block them, are immune to each others' weaknesses (if it wasn't for Knock Off spam....) and give Dhelmise the cleric aid it likes to go with its workable Assault Vest bulk.

I love both of the new Grass/Ghost Pokemon this gen.

Like Decidueye, Dhelmise has a bunch of flexibility and different ones it can run. Not sure which one's my favorite yet, but leaning towards Assault Vest or Colbur Berry. Anchor Shot's pretty cool for trapping and Heatran or Bisharp (preferably with AV / Colbur Berry respectively) and KOing them with Earthquake afterwards after tanking an attack, assuming Dhelmise is healthy.

Here are some other sets I liked:

Dhelmise @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 172 HP / 168 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw / Phantom Force
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot / Earthquake

Ghostium Z is really nice to give Dhelmise a more powerful Ghost move in emergencies and is particularly good since there are only two types that resist/are immune to it. This set can also afford to speed creep a bit to outspeed Pokemon with uninvested base 60 speed like Clefable, Empoleon and some variants of Aegislash.

Dhelmise @ Expert Belt / Assault Vest / Colbur Berry
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SpA (252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA if running Giga Drain)
Brave / Quiet Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip / Giga Drain
- Earthquake / Anchor Shot / Shadow Claw
- Hidden Power Fire

Not much different from the above, but 3HKOs Ferrothorn with HP Fire and 2HKOs Mega Scizor after Stealth Rock (does so more solidly with Expert Belt) on the first EV spread. Anchor Shot can trap stuff, but the coverage to hit Fire types with Earthquake helps.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-480332521 - I was using Colbur Berry here with what I think was just a 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA spread and you can see how that made in impact in this battle

Any reason for running Gyro Ball? Just went to the Showdown calculator and it seems that anything 123 base speed or less is always hit harder by Anchor Shot. Gyro Ball starts hitting harder from base 124 and up (and only if they aren`t electric type, you hit those harder with Anchor Shot no matter their speed tier), which isn`t that much actually when you consider 8 of those mons are Ubers and Pheromosa (who you won`t really hit anyway because she will U-Turn away...that or will be Ubers soon too). The rest you either outright kill with something else (Shadow Claw or Power Whip) or can kill you with SE coverage. Here`s the list: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-sm/stat/speed.shtml

So yeah, you hit harder with Anchor Shot on almost everything in the game.

123 base speed and below:

123 base speed
148 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Gyro Ball (94 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 172-204 (55.3 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
148 Atk Dhelmise Anchor Shot vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 196-232 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

122 base speed
148 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Gyro Ball (94 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 99-117 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
148 Atk Dhelmise Anchor Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 113-133 (39.6 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 148 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Gyro Ball (70 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 85-102 (24.2 - 29%) -- 99.3% chance to 4HKO
-1 148 Atk Dhelmise Anchor Shot vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 132-156 (37.6 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It keeps getting worse and worse below the 123 base speed mark.

148 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Gyro Ball (84 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir-Mega: 109-130 (40.2 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
148 Atk Dhelmise Anchor Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir-Mega: 280-332 (103.3 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So there really seems to be little reason to run Gyro Ball unless you`re planning to check Mega Aerodacyl (if he has Crunch, you can`t switch into it or you lose), Mega Alakazam (you can`t switch into Shadow Ball), Mega Sceptile (admitedly you destroy this matchup 100% thanks to Gyro), Mewtwo (you can only hit him once for around 46%-54% and then he wins) and that`s it. Just watching the list it`s clear that you aren`t hitting much of what`s 124+ base speed. It does help against very specific matchups (Mega Absol [though Knock Off can kill you], Mega Gallade, Lycanrock Midday, Gengar [though you can`t switch into it], Latios, Liepard [but he wins with Knock Off], Mismagius [Shadow Claw is a ohko though], Garchomp [though Power Whip hits it harder] and a few others). Thing is that a lot of those specific matchups are hit harder by something other than Gyro anyway (Shadow Claw most of the time), so even in the few matchups that Gyro is better than Anchor Shot...something else in your movepool ends up being better than Gyro anyway. I just don`t see why you would run it if it`s like that and yes, all calcs were done with 0 IV in speed and a hindering nature, just like what`s in the OP.

Edit: Don`t take it the wrong way. I`d like to understand the reasoning for picking it over Anchor Shot, which seems like the superior option, instead of fighting over the decision. I realized it could be read a bit rudely.

Last edited:
A couple of problems with that. First, you don't seem to have 0 Spe IVs and a -Spe nature, which you should always use if you're try to maximize Gyro Ball's power. Here's the actual calc for Noivern, for example:

148 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Gyro Ball (124 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 229-270 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Second, the calculator incorrectly has Anchor Shot listed as a Rock move, which is why it isn't getting Steelworker boosts in your calcs and is outdamaging Gyro Ball even when the calculator clearly reports Gyro Ball's BP as higher than 80. In truth, a Pokemon needs to have 243 Spe or less to take more damage from Anchor Shot. In other words, anything faster than a Jolly Tyranitar takes the same or greater damage from Gyro Ball.

0 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Gyro Ball (79 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 198-234 (58 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Anchor Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 201-237 (58.9 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A couple of problems with that. First, you don't seem to have 0 Spe IVs and a -Spe nature, which you should always use if you're try to maximize Gyro Ball's power. Here's the actual calc for Noivern, for example:

148 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Gyro Ball (124 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 229-270 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Second, the calculator incorrectly has Anchor Shot listed as a Rock move, which is why it isn't getting Steelworker boosts in your calcs and is outdamaging Gyro Ball even when the calculator clearly reports Gyro Ball's BP as higher than 80. In truth, a Pokemon needs to have 243 Spe or less to take more damage from Anchor Shot. In other words, anything faster than a Jolly Tyranitar takes the same or greater damage from Gyro Ball.

0 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Gyro Ball (79 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 198-234 (58 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Anchor Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 201-237 (58.9 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
That explains a lot actually.

Dhelmise looks really good IMO. At the very least, it does the hazard-removing spinblocker role better than Decidueye (as Rapid Spin does not clear the hazards you set) while its huge 131 base Attack (for a support Pokemon) and triple STAB is really sweet.

Absolutely no recovery outside of an unimpressive Giga Drain sucks, though, and it's the only notable con I can really find on it (alongside no Shadow Sneak).

I guess it will stick to Rapid Spin and Choice Band. IMO Swords Dance should be left for doubles, as its low Speed may force it to eat two hits before attacking.

Phantom Force looks like a useful move on Dhelmise. It needs as much recovery from Leftovers as it can get, and its first turn is like Protect. Anchor Shot can help abusing Phantom Force due to no switching out.

Besides Leftovers this guy doesn't get much for recovery. 3 Stabs makes rest pointless and it's SpA isn't good enough for Giga Drain imo. I'm horrified to think of what could have been given to this guy if it could receive egg moves.

I feel like Anchor Shot would be better over Gyroball mainly because of the trapping. Most walls are pretty slow so in the case where a steel type attack would be the go-to Anchor would be more effective overall. Also in the rarer cases the enemy has bulletproof, Anchor Shot isn't blocked but Gyro Ball will be.

Dhelmise is far too slow to really accomplish anything worthwhile. It also lacks any form of recovery options that would make it good. I don't see it straying too far from RU

I feel this mon will be another member of the "This thing would rock the world if it just got proper recovery options" club that was spearheaded by Bronzong. It's got good typing and a solid stat spread and movepool which gives it solid utility even in the standard tier. Or at least it would, if only it got some adequate form of recovery. It does get Giga Drain but that would be running off its base 86 special attack stat and not the potent base 131 attack stat. I think they opted not to give it adequate recovery out of fear of making it broken but the defensive stats really aren't too overbearing. I think it would been fine especially considering its understandably low speed. Oh well. Even without proper recovery I'd be shocked if this thing couldn't carve some niche for itself. Bar speed the stat spread is surprisingly workable and its movepool is great bar the absurd lack of recovery moves.

Also as someone who just caught this thing ingame, I must say I am quite disturbed to find that this thing stacks in at about THIRTEEN feet tall...

I feel this mon will be another member of the "This thing would rock the world if it just got proper recovery options" club that was spearheaded by Bronzong. It's got good typing and a solid stat spread and movepool which gives it solid utility even in the standard tier. Or at least it would, if only it got some adequate form of recovery. It does get Giga Drain but that would be running off its base 86 special attack stat and not the potent base 131 attack stat. I think they opted not to give it adequate recovery out of fear of making it broken but the defensive stats really aren't too overbearing. I think it would been fine especially considering its understandably low speed. Oh well. Even without proper recovery I'd be shocked if this thing couldn't carve some niche for itself. Bar speed the stat spread is surprisingly workable and its movepool is great bar the absurd lack of recovery moves.

Also as someone who just caught this thing ingame, I must say I am quite disturbed to find that this thing stacks in at about THIRTEEN feet tall...
It's a anchor what did you expect ?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Swinging its massive anchor, it can KO Wailord in a single blow. What appears to be green seaweed is actually its body.

good vs wailord XD

Drilling through it's Z-move options

Z-switcharoo gives it +2 speed but You can't take an item sadly, You keep Your burnt up Z crystal, I don't think he has knock off to pair up with more dark options :/

the weather options plus it at +1 speed, maybe it throws up Z-sunny day then uses growth?

confide drop their special attack and boost Your special defense

Last edited:

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Decidueye, essentially, stole the spotlight away as the premiere Ghost/Grass type most likely due to its design, leaving Dhelmise away in the corner.
I gotta disagree here adamantly. Though design CAN be a factor in low ladder, Decidueye has much more going for it than just design, namely a reliable recovery move in Roost.
Obviously, Dhelmise and Decidueye are comparable as being Ghost/Grass hazard removers with trapping moves, but outside of that, they play very differently. Dhelmise is much more of a tank, while Decidueye is a Special Wall. Dhelmise has the advantage of having more physical bulk whereas Decidueye has the advantage of access to Roost and Low Kick to lure and KO Bisharp.
I highly recommend removing the clear bias from the analysis.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
I gotta disagree here adamantly. Though design CAN be a factor in low ladder, Decidueye has much more going for it than just design, namely a reliable recovery move in Roost.
Obviously, Dhelmise and Decidueye are comparable as being Ghost/Grass hazard removers with trapping moves, but outside of that, they play very differently. Dhelmise is much more of a tank, while Decidueye is a Special Wall. Dhelmise has the advantage of having more physical bulk whereas Decidueye has the advantage of access to Roost and Low Kick to lure and KO Bisharp.
I highly recommend removing the clear bias from the analysis.
I mean if Dhelmise and Decidueye were placed side by side, and you had no idea what their stats/movepool/abilities were. Who would you choose? Besides, I didn't say that Decidueye is superior just because of its design I just said that when Sun and Moon came out, more people flocked towards Decidueye since it was way more advertised then Dhelmise.

Besides, that was my opinion/thoughts on the Decidueye vs. Dhelmise matter, I'm not going to tailor my post so it fits your own personal opinion.

edit: and I said "most likely" not 100% outclassed because of design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)