Deoxys-D: The Team

Deoxys-D: The Team

Rediamond here, with a newly formed incarnation of my previous team. NOTE: I did not hack a Deoxy into OU. The team is named Deoxys-D as a metaphor. The last team/RMT was my take on a fast, frail, hyper-offensive team. This team is a different form of the team, taking on several aspects of stall, similar to Deoxys and Deoxys-D.

Strategy: The team is mostly a stall team that relies on entry-hazards to deal damage. I operate in three stages. In the first stage, Electrode keeps rocks from getting up. This starts the opponent with a state of confusion: What willl it do? After that, Donphan, Skarmory, and Spiritomb get and keep hazzards up and shuffle the opponent. After this, Weaville and Gyarados kill of whatever survives of the opponent's team. I seldom lose anymore, and can outstall a lot. As a general rule. I do not use choice pokes.

The Team:

??? 1: Electrode
Electrode@ Focus Sash
4HP/252Spe/252SpAtt
Timid
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
-HP Grass
-Taunt

Strategy: This is my first attempt to throw the opponent off-balance. If the lead normally carries rocks, I taunt it. If it normally is used as an anti-lead that is dependent on speed, I switch Tbolt, HP Grass, or Twave it, depending on what it is.

Moveset: Taunt helps Trode to be a great stallbreaker in later stages of the game. Taunt ensures that I seldom have rocks to deal with, and Thunder Wave wrecks any speed dependant attacker. HP Grass deals with ground types, and Thunderbolt hits everything else.

Why Electrode?: Electrode is faster than all of OU, except Ninjask. This essentially means that I almost always keep entry hazards off of the field. It's speed and rarity keep the opponent somewhat pressured and confused.

Drawbacks: Power and redundancy. It doesen't hit very hard, and I can spin away rocks anyway. I don't see any major problems, though, and it is still one of my favorite parts of this team.

Spinner and Stealth Rock Support: Donphan
Donphan@ Leftovers
252H/252Att/4Spd
Adamant
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-EQ
-Ice Shard

Strategy: Spin everything that gets into play out, and set up rocks of my own. I use Donphan over other spinners as its bulky AND can give quite a hit in return. Overall, it serves as a supporter and a wall. I need rocks to make my shuffling attempts with Skarmory hurt floaters and flyers. A nice UU throws off some totally inexperienced battlers.

Moveset: Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin are givins. EQ hits hard, and Ice Shard works as a way to revenge kill.

Drawbacks: None as far as I can see.

Staller and Steel: Skarmory
Skarkmory@ Leftovers
252HP/4Def/252SpDef
Impish[INDENT
[/INDENT]
-Brave Bird
-Spikes
-Roost
-Whirlwind

Strategy: If I can ever get an opening after Donphan sets up, I spike up to three layers, roosting as necessary. After that, Whirlwind and Roost are used in tangent to reveal the opponents team and deal huge amounts of damage. Brave Bird is to finish off crippled Pokemon. It's astonishing how much of a hit this can take. Also with nuetral SR and three layers of spikes, all dies after switching in three times. This allows Rhyperior, Gyarados, and Weaville to destroy the opposition later in the match.

Moveset: See above

Drawbacks: Magnezone. That alone makes Shed Shell worth considering.

Why a-OH ****: Weaville
Weaville@ Focus Sash
252Spe/252Att/4HP
Jolly
-Ice Shard
-Counter
-Low Kick
-Night Slash

Strategy: Why Weaville? Ask anybody that's lost a Scizor to this thing. The nearly certain absence of hazards allows me to fully use Weaville as an escape button. Whenever anything sets up, I can wait for it to KO something, and then use counter to take the threat down. It's also very good at bluffing choice or hyper offense. Weaville is also a very nice Scizor check and sweeper in its own right, although it ruins the stall nature of the team.

Moveset: Night Slash, Ice Shard, and Low Kick have been proven time after time. Counter is the signature trick of this set.

Drawbacks: Now that the team is bulky enough, I don't need to rely on it's gimmicks. It's good, but something might be better. SD Scizor perhaps?

Special Wall and Tank: Spiritomb
252HP/252SpDef/4HP
Bold
-Dark Pulse
-Calm Mind
-Substitute
-Will-o-Wisp

Strategy: Spiritomb allows me to take hits from the Special side, an tank through those unprepared to deal with it's suprising power. It can CM on Special sweepers, and burn Physical ones. It can also outstall some bulky Pokemon; and Blissey. At +6 SpAtt if I'm lucky enough to set up... I say gg and open the floodgates.

Moveset: CM and substitute outstall Special sweepers. Will-o-Wiso deals with threats on the Physical Side. Dark Pulse is my only attack.

Drawbacks: Speed, but it's gotten me further than the Rhyperior it replaced, so I'm pretty good with it.

Wait... two sweepers and a Weaville... I thought this was stall: Gyarados
Gyarados@ Leftovers
252Att/252Spe/4HP
Jolly
-Waterfall
-EQ
-Stone Edge
-Dragon Dance

Strategy: After Rhyperior's down, the opponent normally gets lulled into a sense of safety. And then Gyara switches in. I get in one-two DD's and pull of a sweep. I can't really say much more, but an average of 37% damage per switch-in, and Skarm's shuffling leave very little to oppose my sweep.

Moveset: DD needs no explaining. Same goes for Waterfall. EQ hits a lot really hard. SE has really unreliable accuracy, but is far better than other options I have tested.

Drawbacks: Gyarados is a drawback to the opponent.

Requirements/Considered Changes: With my reliance on hazards, I might replace Rhyperior with CM Spiritomb. I need a spin-blocker now that the team has taken a more defensive incarnation.

Threats:
LO Starmie: If Weaville and Trode are down, I normally ragequit.
Jolteon: Same story, but I have a few EQ users in this case.
Breloom: Uh... well... if it sets up, it's annoying, but its always annoying anyways.
HAX abusers: I can beat them, but I really hate them a lot. (Once again universal).

Conclusion: Well, there it is. It's really bluff and prediction dependant right now. I only ask that no choice items are suggested, and please, don't make the team predictable

Firstly, you have a couple of mistakes with your EV spreads. Both Skarmory and Donphan have 756 EVs. A mistake, I'm sure.

Life Orb Starmie is a threat, but so is Suicune. A Suicune with no HP investment takes 46% MAX from your Electrode after a single Calm Mind, and Timid Suicune with Max Special Attack and Speed (running CM, Surf, Ice Beam, and HP Electric) absolutely DOMINATES your team.

Infernapes of several varieties are also a big threat to your team. Their STAB moves KO Skarmory and Weavile and severely dent Rhyperior, at the very least. In fact, your team is weak to special sweepers who can't be revenge-killed by Weavile. Calm Mind Jirachi is another pokemon that can make short work of your team. If you want to have any pretense of stall, you need at least one pokemon that can really take hits from the special side of the spectrum.

Don't use Focus Sash on any other Pokemon but Electrode. Aerodactyl can still SR half the time, and other leads can take you out or come back later to set up Stealth Rock since many players find it important.

Have more Special bulk on Skarmory.

Try an EV Spread of 252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp. Def with an Impish nature. It has lots of Special bulk, while retaining some Physical bulk with Impish too.

Good luck!

@Tater Tot: Thanks for catching the EV thing. I have trouble with with Special Sweepers with Thunderbolt. I've considered SoDefensive Togekiss or CM Spiritomb as walls (or spinblockers) as both can take and give a hit, an in Spiritomb's case, is fairly uncommon.
@Shiny Azelf: With Trode and Donphan, Sashes normally go unbroken. Once again, CounterVille is my escape button for set-up Sweepers, or Scizor if I want Gyarados unrevealed. Skarm's EVs have been changed.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You have to run max speed with a + nature on Rhyperior to outspeed Timid Starmie at +2. And try to run 252 Atk EVs as well, Rhyperior is fairly bulky.

Well, if Rhyperior CAN outspeed Starmie, I have another option. So, CM Spiritomb, SpDef Togekiss and a faster Rhyperior are competing for a spot. Any suggestions on which I should go with?
EDIT: Decided on CM Spiritomb

One day bump. A slightly modified Aero lead is being tested as a potential replacement lead. ParaFlinch Jirachi is being tested over Weaville. A Bulky Gyarados EV spread is also being tested.
EDIT: None of the above tests were actually kept.

Have to work on School Project, add suggested changes in about a half hour-hour.

Hi, I got your message. I see that you are trying to be unpredictable with this team, which I like, but unfortunatly, some of the sets you are using are not very viable in OU. So I will try to rate while not changing to much, but I hope you understand if I have to change some of your sets.

Threats:
  • Stall
  • Heatran
  • Fast Threats in General
How they are threats:

Stall as a whole is the largest problem to this team considering it outstalls and walls your entire team. All of your team cannot touch it, especially the skarmbliss combo and Semi stall, which basically you lose to. You can spin away the hazards, but they have a levitating spin blocker. What do you do? Semi Stall is even worse because they can wall you (to an less of an extent) and deal plenty of damage back. In the case of SkarmBliss, Blissey walls all of your special attackers and Skarm sets up and whirlwinds away your physical attackers.

Having a Heatran weakness is defenatly not fun. Now Heatran itself does not single handedly destroy this team considering Gyarados walls it, but Heatran is usually paired up with a defensive Grass type such as Shymin or Celebi, which Gyara cannot touch. Lead Heatran walks all over the rest of this team cause it usually carries Shuca Berry/LO where LO versions have HP Grass, which can kill donphan.

(Above Paragraph is long and windy, considering Donaphan walls Heatran to an extent. But watch out for a well played Heatran, as it can walk all over your team.)

Things like LOmie and Jolteon can be threats, as they can beat you up with their insane speed and decent SpA. Your team is frail for the most part except for your Spiritomb/Skarmory/Donaphan, which Starmie walks all over, Excluding tomb. but if tomb is down, you can be sure to quit, because I do not think you can make a comeback.

Suggested Changes:
  • Replace Weavile
I think that Weavile on this team is a gimmick, and not very useable considering bulky leads will set up rocks over and over and Rotom will always block your Donphan. I suggest you switch it to Infernape, as it is unpredictable, and a SD set wrecks Skarmbliss and Heatran. The specific set is:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

~ Swords Dance
~ Flare Blitz
~ Close Combat
~ ThunderPunch

With this set you gain a lot of unpredictability in the form of SDnape, which is a mid game wall breaker and stall breaker, easily decimating Blissey and Skarmory at +2 while also taking on Heatran quite easily.

Well thanks for taking the time to read my rate and hope you have a nice day! Good Team, and GL!

Thanks for the rate. Weaville was already in the obsolete phase, and Infernape is entirely a better replacement. I will test Infernape for a little while, but this team is essentially finished. I was really waiting for one final improvement to the team, which I believe has been accomplished. After watching strategies fall apart for so long, I'll be taking about an indefinate break from Pokemon. Thanks again to all who took the time to rate this, and may the HAX be with you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)