Dehydration - A DW OU Sun Team

/DEHYDRATION\
A Dream World Over-Used Sun Team

/INTRODUCTION\

Hello Smogon! I'm back with another team I'd like you all to rate. Not many teams have worked out for me. Stall teams I can't make very well. Baton Pass teams, such as the one I had for my previous RMT, I can't play very well. Volt-Turn teams I just hate. The only teams I can do well with are weather teams. I've tried using Sandstorm, Rain and Hail teams before, but they never work out too well. So I decided to make a Sun team. I chose DW instead of normal OU because I wanted to try a few ideas of mine out. So onto the team itself!

Another thing: Anything in red I believe should be changed. Anything in blue is a change that I've made with suggestions from posters, and anything in black may or may not need to be changed. You decide which.

/THE TEAM\

Picture by HappyZoroark
Accelgor (M) @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Endure
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain (Maybe Focus Blast instead?)
- Hidden Power Rock (Hidden Power Fire would help deal with Scizor and Genesect, but then I'd be walled by Chandelure)

Accelgor has been one of my favorite Pokemon since Gen5 came out. I had always tried to find a way to give it sweeping potential. However, it just didn't have enough Special Attack to do any sweeping, and it could be outpaced by scarfed Pokemon. Then I remembered something very important: I was in the Dream World tier. In Dream World, Accelgor gains Unburden, which is a bit redundant, even though it helps Accelgor beat scarfed opponents. Another important thing about Dream World is that Accelgor can use a Petaya Berry. With this, I can use Endure on a hit that would normally kill it, thus boosting Accelgor's Special Attack to respectable levels and doubling its speed. Bug Buzz is that STAB move with the greatest strength. Giga Drain is for healing up if needed, which is helpful for surviving things like Bullet Punch from a scarfed Scizor. Hidden Power Rock is used to deal with Chandelure and Dragonite.

The lack of EVs in anything other than Special Attack or Speed is to help Endure succeed earlier. Modest nature because this thing needs all the Special Attack it can get.

Ninetales (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Flame Charge
- Attract (Useless filler is useless. I never even use this. Maybe Sunny Day *shrug*)
- Hypnosis

I don't care how much of a favorite Ninetales is to me, if it didn't have Drought, it'd be gone. Still, with Drought and STAB on Fire moves, it can do a decent amount of damage. Flare Blitz and Flame Charge are the two best physical moves Ninetales can use. As for why I use Physical Ninetales, I don't know why either. Attract is useless filler that I'm considering replacing with Sunny Day. Hypnosis is unreliable, but nice for forcing switches if it hits. It also lets me bring in Chandelure if my opponent is not very smart.

The EVs and Adamant nature are to give this thing less laughable Attack. 252 Speed EVs because it's not like Ninetales has wonderful good Speed in the first place.

Picture by RedChocobo
Raikou @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Thunderbolt
- Weather Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere

Raikou with Choice Specs is a wonderful wallbreaker. Doesn't have the best of movepools, but at least it isn't Klinklang (isn't it sad, Klinklang?). Thunderbolt is the main STAB move, being the most reliable under sun. I chose Weather Ball because it is equal to a 150 BP move in sun or rain, a 100 BP move in sandstorm or hail, and a 100 BP move during fog (why does fog exist argh). And it's also the only Fire-type move Raikou can get, aside from Hidden Power. Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere are coverage moves, since Raikou doesn't have many other options.

252 Special Attack and Speed EVs maximize Raikou's damage potential, while the 4 Special Defense give it a tiny bit of extra bulk that saved my ass a few times. I use a Rash nature because I have to. :(

Picture by CanaryCharm
Meloetta @ Leftovers (Maybe a Life Orb instead?)
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Charge Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice

Meloetta will be amazing once its released. Seriously, this thing wrecks after it sets up. Charge Beam is the best setup move Meloetta can use, thanks to Serene Grace. It also helps get rid of Water- and Flying-types. Psyshock is used for STAB and getting around Chansey/Blissey. Focus Blast gets rid of the nasty Steel- and Rock-types. Hyper Voice is filler, only used for STAB.

The EVs are, one again, there to maxmize damage potential while adding a little extra bulk. I run a Timid nature because Meloetta isn't exactly the fastest Normal-Psychic type. (Actually it is, but that's beside the point.)

Picture by raven97
Chandelure (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SAtk / 180 SDef
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

Did I mention that Chandelure is an overpowered pile of shit? No? Then I probably should. Seriously, all I have to do is switch it into something wimpy like Blissey or Ferrothorn, and it's game over for the opponent. Substitute and Calm Mind are very important to this set, because they're Chandelure's best setup moves. Fire Blast is used for STAB, and hitting things really really hard in general. Shadow Ball is the other STAB, and will still kill anything that isn't immune to it or has a 4x resistance to it at +6.

I use a Modest nature along with 252 Special Attack EVs to maximize damage output blah blah blah you get it by now. The biggest difference from most Chandelure sets, however, are the EVs in Special Defense and HP. Assuming I did my calculations right, with these EVs, it is only 2HKOed by Shadow Ball from a Choice Scarf Chandelure, and can OHKO back with its own.

Picture by americangirlhope
Sawsbuck (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick (Nature Power? *shrug*)
- Frustration

Not many people use Sawsbuck on sun teams. Don't know why. Probably because lolVenusaur or something equally stupid. Sawsbuck has better Attack and Speed, and has a health draining move as well. Swords Dance is to help boost up when facing things like Gliscor, which will often try the same. Did you know that a +2 Horn Leech will 2HKO the Swords Dance set for Gliscor? Neither did I, until 5 minutes ago when I did the calcs. Jump Kick is used for coverage, mainly. It sees some use, but I could likely use Nature Power on Sawsbuck to greater effect. Frustration is there for STAB only. Damn thing hits like a truck at +2. It can 2HKO Dragonite factoring in Multiscale, unless I screwed up on the calcs.

EVs and nature maximize damage output, blah blah blah, you don't care about this part by now. If you do, too bad.

Also, here's some proof if you didn't believe me about the thing with Gliscor.

/CONCLUSION\

My conclusion is that I think my team is pretty solid, but still needs some work. I'd greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. Drakon136 out!

I'd put in a threat list, but I'm tired and it took me an hour to do this and the calcs and I need sleep.

Accelgor (M) @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Endure
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Ninetales (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Drought
- Flare Blitz
- Flame Charge
- Attract
- Hypnosis

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Thunderbolt
- Weather Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Aura Sphere

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Charge Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Hyper Voice

Chandelure (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SAtk / 180 SDef
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

Sawsbuck (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Frustration

I dont understand why ninetails is physical. There is absolutely no reason to use it over a special set. Also on Sawsbuck nature power is earthquake on PO so in most scenarios nature power is better than jump kick.

Most teams appreciate hazard support either on the field or getting the off through a spinner. For hazards a feel like offensive heatran will be an asset to the team getting a boost to its fire stab of choice and its weakness to water is nullified and setting up stealth rocks. Or for a spinner i would suggest a defensive hitmontop, it serves as a great counter to tyranitar which could be a threat to the team specifically ninetails and chandelure or a alternative to both is donphan which does both set up rocks and spin them away and provide a solid check to tyranitar due to stab earthquake. In either case i feel like accelgor is doing the least for the team and should be replaced any of the three pokes i suggested.
Check the strategy dex for the sets of Heatran/Donphan/Hitmontop. Good luck with the team

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice to see DW sun getting some use! I have a suggestion for Ninetales though: I would recommend the Sunny Day variant, which is a set of Sunny Day, Fire Blast / Flamethrower, SolarBeam, Will-O-Wisp with an EV spread of 252 SpA / 96 SpD / 160 Spe Timid and Air Balloon. Let me explain a bit. Sunny Day gives you an advantage: when Politoed or Tyranitar tries to come in, you can change the weather back to sun. SolarBeam is a great move, as many sand and rain teams are weak to Grass-type moves, and you don't worry about being trapped. The Speed EVs lets you check Excadrill: you outspeed Jolly variants outside of sand. And since your team doesn't have an mostly reliable Excadrill check already, Ninetales is a good choice. Your variant is bad for a sun team: Life Orb stacks on top of Flare Blitz recoil, meaning Ninetales will die sooner.

Once you familiarize and decide about this suggestion, feel free to VM me for other ideas!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)