Done Default to 31 IVs on Pokemon with Hidden Power (In Generations with Hyper Training)

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
After briefly looking over this forum, it doesn't seem like anyone else has suggested this which is surprising because this has been bothering me for quite a while and I'm only just now getting around to making a post on it. The Gen 7 games introduced something called hyper training which allows you to improve the IVs of your pokemon by exchanging bottle caps. Hidden power typing is determined by IVs but it is determined prior to hyper training and the hidden power type stays the same even if you then go and hyper train that pokemon to perfect 31 IVs in every stat. The relevance of this as far as Showdown is concerned is that you no longer have to intentionally decrease the IVs and consequently the stats of your pokemon just to get a certain hidden power type. A good example of why this is actually very important is hidden power fire, one of the most common and useful hidden power typings. If you want to use a hidden power fire Latios in Gen 6, you lose an IV in speed (and also att and sp att) which means you can no longer speed tie with opposing Latios or other base 110s. The trade off for using hidden power fire here is pretty significant, but with the addition of hyper training you can use this hidden power on a 31 speed IV Latios in Gen 7 or anything after like National Dex. The teambuilder unfortunately still corrects to the IVs that it thinks you need to have so you will have to manually fix the IVs on your mons when using certain hidden power types. On top of this, you can fix the IVs on your mons but they won't stay fixed because when you open the import/export tab to copy a paste of the team/mon it defaults back to the hidden power IVs. I'll put some image examples of this below. Seems like a pretty easy fix to make that would improve quality of life in the builder.

Screenshot 2021-10-31 175808.png
Screenshot 2021-10-31 175850.png
Screenshot 2021-10-31 175902.png

Above you can see that I fixed the IVs on my hidden power fire Tangrowth. After opening the Import/Export tab to hypothetically paste this into the damage calculator, the builder defaults back to 30 IVs in att, sp att, and speed because it thinks that is needed for the Tangrowth to have hidden power fire. Just a bit frustrating.

Kyo

In Limbo
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
National Dex Leader
I don’t know if bumping threads is allowed, but I (still) feel like this change needs to be made considering it has actual relevant competitive implications. And so I can stop manually fixing my hidden power fire and ice IVs all the time.
:psywoke:

I have a fix ready for this. Sorry for the necro post but here is the link to it
https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-showdown-client/pull/2092

They denied it for, in my opinion, very silly reasons. It should not be the job of the team importer to validate teams. Having it selectively enforce this one effect is clunky and confusing

EDIT: I didn't want to double post and though of this after the fact. I have only ever experienced people being negatively effected by it as most people don't realize this is a thing and their teams end up getting nurfed. Been hit by it before and didn't get a ko because of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)