SV OU Dark 'n darker (TOP 5 PEAK, 2000 ELO)

s7a

they’re just folds in her dress
is a Tiering Contributor
kaka.png

kkk.jpg

qwq.jpg

I recall getting to 2030 ELO and top 5, but I did not save screenshots. Doesn't really make a difference tho. I used SOLELY this team on the account, all replays are public due to the requirements of the tournament. Feel free to watch to see how I play it, but before doing that remember to "skip to end" and check if it's a win tho. if it's a loss don't watch thx i don't want humiliation . . .
yea.png

also i used lying and fabrication to make it more famous. fake it 'til u make it

You've probably seen this team once or twice on the ladder so far, I've been really spamming it because I think it's hard to counter and has great matchups all over the board.
You probably wouldn't expect it from a type-spam team, but I also find it to be very consistent.

First, I'll explain the original idea for the team. I was drinking coffee and milk in the morning while watching a Blunder video, as I usually do. When there's no BKC video to watch anyway. They were ranking Pokémon in OU, and they were talking about Zamazenta and how it countered the common Dark-spam teams.
Now, I had been chilling on the high ladder and had never even seen a Dark spam team, but the idea looked good enough to me. I couldn't really see how Zama would counter such a team, especially when it's so shaky against Dark-type GOATs like Darkrai and Roaring Moon.
So yeah, the idea was a strong Dark spam HO that matches well into Zamazenta, which is used by most as the sole counterplay to this kind of Offense.

The Team
:darkrai: :kingambit: :roaring_moon: :zamazenta: :glimmora: :enamorus:

Darkrai
:darkrai:
Darkrai @ Expert Belt
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

The first mon was obviously Darkrai. I had seen the Expert Belt set from ACR1 and found it to be a very appealing choice. This is a great lead against basically all kinds of OU teams, as it has super effective coverage against basically half the tier. Focus Blast is needed to break through Pokémon like Samurott-Hisui and Kyurem, while Sludge Bomb takes care of Primarina and Enamorus, aside from being a good move to spam once Tera is used. Ice Beam deals with Gliscor and Tusk, and is usually the cheapest move to spam, while Dark Pulse is STAB and cannot be removed.

Poison is the Tera of choice because this team doesn't really pack a consistent Fairy resist. Glimmora is often good enough but the surprise effect of Tera Poison Sludge Bomb can really help remove problematic Pokémon, such as Scarf Enamorus, Booster Valiant and Primarina, for my other Darks to spam their moves freely.

Expert Belt helps a lot with many calcs and I do not suggest using Focus Sash instead (Kebab mlml).
252 SpA Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem: 294-346 (75.1 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem: 353-415 (90.2 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Samurott-Hisui: 256-302 (79.7 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Darkrai Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Samurott-Hisui: 307-362 (95.6 - 112.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Darkrai Sludge Bomb vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Primarina: 120-142 (37.3 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Darkrai Sludge Bomb vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Primarina: 144-170 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Darkrai Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 336-396 (77.4 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Darkrai Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 403-475 (92.8 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Kingambit
:kingambit:
Kingambit @ Air Balloon
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave
- Iron Head

The next Pokémon on the list was Kingambit. Look at my team. Then look at Volcarona. That's how I knew I needed a Fire Tera, which pairs well with Balloon to allow for safe switches without having to risk my Enamorus against ground-type moves. Keep Air Balloon intact if you need it - I have noticed that a lot of Gliscors lately have either Knock Off only or Earthquake only. Either way, they're a free switch for Kingambit, which is important because the rest of the team fears either Toxic or EQ. Low Kick or a Jolly nature (or max Speed, really) are overkill here, as Impish Zamazenta can deal with an enemy Gambit. This investment in speed allows you to outrun Corviknight and fatter Primarinas other than Clefable, which would otherwise be extremely threatening to the team.

You can also run a somewhat faster Kingambit, as I've often done. Corviknight users often put an arbitrary amount of Speed to still be faster than Gambits who try to creep them, so it's a pretty valid strategy. I wouldn't suggest getting close to max Speed though, as you need the defensive utility.

Tera Fire allows you to beat Volcarona, Skeledirge, Will-o-Wisp Dragapult, Cinderace and other metagame staples. Paired with a Balloon it denies any kind of Tera Ground Volc or Moth as you attempt to revenge kill those two. Some other mons that Tera Fire Balloon can surprisingly easy set up on are Enamorus, Weavile (especially after your item is gone, it can't really deal more than 30% with any move) and Sun setter Torkoal.

This Kingambit isn't very sound vs opposing ones, especially if they're fully bulky or fully fast with Low Kick. Do not try a 1v1 at home or you will be fully sburred.

Roaring Moon
:roaring_moon:
Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Now, Roaring Moon. My saviour against Fat. This is my only guarantee that I can break Stall (especially with Healing Wish support, it's really hard NOT to beat Stall with Taunt RM), which means Taunt is a necessary choice. It can 1v1 Dondozo for its teammates to sweep by Taunting its Rest and use Tera Flying + Taunt to setup on Gliscor and Corviknight very freely. The only ugly defensive matchup is Sticky Barb Clefable. Tricking, the GOAT, told me to DD once on Clef, then Tera Flying on Moonblast and DD again, then attack, grab the Barb while killing it, knock another mon's Boots before dying (or keep to Knock something better later, depending on the state of the game), and I think that's the easiest way to deal with Clefable Stall with this team. It's not an easy MU by any means, but it's surprisingly doable. Thanks GOAT.

Tera Flying is the only viable one obviously, it annoyingly maintains Roaring Moon's weakness to Ice but helps a lot against Tusk (and all around gives you a second high-power STAB to sweep with). Roaring Moon's defensive typing is also very important here and, if not absolutely free to win with, I'll use it to switch on Gholdengo and Slowking-Galar if needed without much care for their attacks.

Zamazenta
:zamazenta:
Zamazenta @ Leftovers
Ability: Dauntless Shield
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 16 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD / 236 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Heavy Slam
- Roar

Before you ask, I don't remember what the SpDef does. It was important though. Zamazenta is probably the biggest innovation in this team. This Zama has an interesting spread with an Impish nature. This means that at +3 you can breakthrough resists. At +6, you OHKO less bulky Volcs and Primarinas, which is absolutely terrifying. I find the 252/88/168+ Zamazenta Spread to be absolutely crap, it nerfs one of the most broken mons in the metagame by misallocating its EVs. This way this Pokémon has over 500 Defense on Switch, can even 1v1 Tera Water Barraskewda in Rain without resisting its STAB, and defeats every physical mon in the metagame. Of course, there's an opportunity cost. It means you'd never be able to beat Gholdengo or Slowking-Galar even if you were to have Crunch, which means your Dark teammates will have to deal with those threats. You can beat Gliscor if his Health is lowered, but you have to watch out for Protect (with Rocks up, you can Roar their Protect to deny healing and get them even lower. This is a play I do extremely often, but if they click Toxic... well play with caution I guess).

Tera Ghost + Roar gives it an advantage over other Zamazentas that have Heavy Slam. Heavy Slam is favored over Crunch because 1) other Pokémon on the team are well-equipped to defeat the Pokémon Crunch Zamazenta is used against anyway, and 2) without Attack investment Crunch hits fatter opponents like Slowking Galar and Gholdengo like wet paper anyway. Steel-weak staples like Iron Valiant and Enamorus require little to no chip to be OHKoed by Heavy Slam, and even Clef can take half just because the move's base power is so high and Zama's attack is not that low. Roar is last because the Roar Zamazenta is built different. This Zamazenta is slower than Darkrai, Weavile, and Meowscarada. However, its speed allows it to get the jump on Will-o-Wisp user Cinderace and Tera Flying Acrobatics user Roaring Moon, which I think is enough. Weavile can barely touch you, and there's no move from Darkrai that's really threatening anyway, except for the rare Wisp.

This makes it difficult to beat other Roar Zamas, though, since we are not in GSC. Heavy Slam + Roar is really rare though, so Enamorus can usually deal with them just fine.

+4 216+ Def Zamazenta Body Press vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 246-290 (76.6 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 216+ Def Zamazenta Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 273-321 (87.7 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+4 216+ Def Zamazenta Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Flying Roaring Moon: 255-300 (72.6 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 216+ Def Zamazenta Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Poison Darkrai: 210-247 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 216+ Def Zamazenta Body Press vs. 12 HP / 0 Def Walking Wake: 348-409 (101.7 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+4 is completely arbitrary, +3 or +5 are more common due to the ability obviously. Doesn't change the fact that this Pokémon is not real. I have 10+ replays of Primarina and Volcarona being OHKOed cleanly by Body Press lmfao, even Glowking takes 40% at +6.

Without proper setup, of course, this Pokémon doesn't really do anything versus its counters such as Gholdengo and Slowking-Galar, so most of the time you're not supposed to attack. Just switch it in and Roar out your counter (unless Gholdengo) to get some more Leftovers or make a double to Darkrai or Roaring Moon. Most of the time these mons have no counterplay and are simply better to break through your opponent early.

Glimmora
:glimmora:
Glimmora @ Red Card
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Ghost
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Mortal Spin
- Earth Power
- Power Gem

I find a Poison type to be required on HO these days. Still, Glimmora should not be used as a lead, especially against opposing Glimmora offense where the last standing Glim wins. This team fears Valiant and especially Iron Moth, which is why I chose Red Card as its item despite the offensive spread. It can switch to their resisted STAB of choice and make them slower than my sweepers later by wasting their Booster Energy. Basically all teams in this metagame are prepared for Glim Lead anyway, so it's often not worth it to just lose to Treads or Waterpon, which Darkrai lead unsurprisingly murders. Stealth Rock and Mortal Spin are obviously needed, while Power Gem is a great STAB against most of the metagame. In addition, Earth Force can make it hard for Kingambit to set up on this Mon, and it hits Heatran very hard.

There are some cases, for example against Ribombee, where I would lead with Glimmora though. Tera Ghost is to deny Spin but I barely if ever click it, Zamazenta can also do this with his Tera and that usually turns out to be better. Don't forget to send out Glimmora against Corviknight or Dragapult U-turns to RNG a T-spike weak Pokémon and get a Status. One of my favourite plays ever.

Enamorus
:enamorus:
Enamorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Ground
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Mystical Fire
- Healing Wish

Ennemaurus.

The last mon is Enamorus. Usually, there's at least one Pokémon on this team that really wins, so Healing Wish support gives them a second chance, which can always be useful. It means you can cleave through a Dragapult with a statused Kingambit without having to use Tera to be immune to Wisp, or you can take a T-Wave from Glowking and still sweep with Roaring Moon. Moonblast and Earth Power are really insane moves together, and they hit most of the metagame pretty hard, which can sometimes open up an endgame where Enamorus sweeps. Mystical Fire is not to be clicked too often, but it can help against Corviknight, which is not easy to deal with for this team.

Tera Ground is used to be immune to Thunderclap from Raging Bolt and kill it. I've been that Pokémon less and less lately, but it's still by far the best Tera Enam could have. In addition, Enamorus's typing helps a lot against enemy Zamazenta and exploits Tusk clicking Rapid Spin by still being faster due to the Choice Scarf. It can also take almost any hit a Valiant can throw at you without Rocks being up and one shot it with Moonblast.

Tera Ground-boosted Earth Power does 2HKO Specially Defensive Glowking, which is not to be underestimated, as it opens up a Zamazenta win very easily.

--- THREATS ---

Some rather difficult matchups I found myself having default answers to are:

- :ribombee: Webs. Webs is really simple once you understand how to play against it. Most players will lead Ribombee and Glimmora is the perfect answer, Turn 1 you can Mortal Spin on their unfortunate attempt to set up a Sticky Web. Now you can either predict the turn they're going to attack you and click Stealth Rock, which completely ruins their game because with Darkrai in as a double switch it'll be really hard for Ribombee to even get Sticky Web up again after Red Card switches it out, or you can just keep spamming Mortal Spin until they attack and pray that a non-Steel-type Pokémon comes in so that you gain something by doing it. Even if Sticky Web goes up, it's not the end of the world: Enamorus has Contrary, so if you Tera it, you'll be faster than a lot of mons, Roaring Moon can try the same trick with Tera Flying which makes it immune to the speed drop, Zamazenta doesn't really need speed to beat certain teams anyway. And Gambit has a Balloon. But yeah, don't bother leading Darkrai vs. Ribombee.

- :torkoal: Sun. Yeah, this is tough. Your Water resistis only 1 Pokémon, which is interesting. If Walking Wake comes in you have to sack a Pokémon, which is also interesting. But then you can go to Roaring Moon and start claiming, although it's harder because your Acrobatics will be weaker due to your item not being lost. Most of the time, Walking Wakes are Choice locked, but not all the time. If you find out through calcing that they're not, just know that Dragon Pulse is a move that Roaring Moon lives, very interestingly. This is a very interesting way to kill Walking Wake and end the game, as none of the other Sun threats are nearly as problematic. Usually Tera Fire Gambit will be insanely clutch, as a Wisping Torkoal is just a free SD, and with your Balloon Mons like Gouging Fire or Volcarona cannot OHKO you.

- :blissey: :clefable: Stall. I often lead Roaring Moon vs these sorts of teams and just try to Knock and Taunt, especially if they seem like they'd lead Gliscor which, again, is free setup. Clefable stall is hell though. Read above.

- :primarina: Primarina. You need a big hit to handle this, luckily any mon you have can do that. Sludge Bomb from Darkrai or Acrobatics from Roaring Moon, both will make it so that your sweeper of choice can easily handle a chipped Primarina. If it's the only really big threat the enemy team has, feel free to click Tera Poison Sludge Bomb and end its misery.

- :iron_valiant: :iron_moth: Booster Energy. Especially versus these two mons, never lead Glim. You need it to switch them out. After they are switched out, Zamazenta can handle them rather easily.
+3 216+ Def Zamazenta Body Press vs. 0 HP / 124 Def Iron Moth: 202-238 (67.1 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Zamazenta Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Iron Valiant: 220-260 (75.8 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

PASTE
https://pokepast.es/9703724f49be3b7a

Replays
coming soon (TM)

s7a

is a Tiering Contributor
Nice team! All my teams are enam+moon+glimm+dark too lol.

I think you'd benefit from a defensive Tera and Mud Shot instead of Earth Power on Glimmora. The speed drop provides some extra padding against booster/set-up stuff. The 4th slot is whatever you want for chip...personally I like spikes or poison move since Power Gem can feel too weak and hatterene can sit on you otherwise. Even Endure if you really want to cheese it up w/ red card.
i’d say red card + mud shot is kinda counterproductive. it is true that power gem at times feels weak but there isn’t really a better move. sludge wave hits much harder but it has the side effect of getting u walled by corv (or skarm for that matter), which is not so nice w this team

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Had a blast with this squad and used it for reqs, however there's one matchup in particular where I had a lot of issues.

How does this team deal with Rain? I find it extremely hard to pivot around Barraskewda and Raging Bolt combined, especially if backed up by a secondary swift swimmer like Kingdra or Basculegion.

Was considering swapping Enamorus out, since it was def the mon i used the least, but would love to hear how you've been using it.

s7a

is a Tiering Contributor
Had a blast with this squad and used it for reqs, however there's one matchup in particular where I had a lot of issues.

How does this team deal with Rain? I find it extremely hard to pivot around Barraskewda and Raging Bolt combined, especially if backed up by a secondary swift swimmer like Kingdra or Basculegion.

Was considering swapping Enamorus out, since it was def the mon i used the least, but would love to hear how you've been using it.
You have to make use of your natural resists with Roaring Moon for Swift Swimmers and Tera Ground Enamorus for Raging Bolt alike. Remember that Zamazenta at +1 can take a Tera Water Liquidation from Barraskewda and KO back. Not easy but not impossible at all. Kingdra Rain is much harder though.

Enamorus is necessary, I feel. Glues the team with its defensive profile, Healing Wish support and great STABs and speed.
I would never imagine removing it. Darkrai maybe you can though.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
You have to make use of your natural resists with Roaring Moon for Swift Swimmers and Tera Ground Enamorus for Raging Bolt alike. Remember that Zamazenta at +1 can take a Tera Water Liquidation from Barraskewda and KO back. Not easy but not impossible at all. Kingdra Rain is much harder though.

Enamorus is necessary, I feel. Glues the team with its defensive profile, Healing Wish support and great STABs and speed.
I would never imagine removing it. Darkrai maybe you can though.
Yeah I figured as much, just feels like the tempo of lead peli can't really be stopped from u-turning into barra for a free kill. Flip turn feels especially free on it, and then going into their moon or zama check. I was considering potentially running Tera Water > Tera Fire on Kingambit to solidify that mathchup while keeping an okay matchup into fires - willo.

Reactions: s7a

s7a

is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah I figured as much, just feels like the tempo of lead peli can't really be stopped from u-turning into barra for a free kill. Flip turn feels especially free on it, and then going into their moon or zama check. I was considering potentially running Tera Water > Tera Fire on Kingambit to solidify that mathchup while keeping an okay matchup into fires - willo.
Tera Water does much less compared to Fire sadly. You now can lose to Volc, Cinderace and Will-o-Wisp Pult much easier.

If they lead Peli then either lead Glim and Gem it or, if you’re feeling quirky, lead Rai and switch Glim on U-turn. Both choices disrupt Rain nicely.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
How can you beat Garganci stall with water Tera active? Nothing can hit it for supereffective damage.
You don't necessarily need super effective damage, Taunt Roaring Moon shuts it down pretty well pre-boosts, while Roar Zamazenta can make it switch out if it's accrued Curse or Iron Defense boosts. Any of Zamazenta/Kingambit/Roaring Moon are able to break through it once they have at least one boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)