Danmire's OU RMT

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
OU TEAM COMPLETE!

I've been practicing with this team for a long time, and at the same time, I've been tweaking it, trying to remove any threats. Still, it comes as no surprise that there is no "Perfect Team". But still, I'm posting this RMT to see if this teams any good enough. If you guys have any recommendations to help this team, feel free to post. Changes are in bold.

At a glance:

Building Process:

Starting off with the lead. Gliscor lays Stealth Rocks, and U-Turn can let me switch freely, and then switch back. Also helps me with synergy.

Next up, I'll need a Rapid Spinner, just in case any opponents set up.

But of course, with every Rapid Spinner, theres an Anti-Spinner. Rotom-W has enough bulk to take hits, and with Choice Scarf, can outspeed Starmies to hit it with a powerful STAB Thunderbolt.

Next up, my Wall and pHazer, non other than Skarmory. With Spikes at hand, it can lay a layer to deal some damage.

Something I always find trouble with is Bulky Waters. Vaporeon, Swampert, Suicune. I hate those guys. So, I decided to use a counter. Let's roll with Shaymin! Shaymin can also use Earth Power to destroy any Heatrans. Mostly for F/W/G cores.

And finally, my Sweeper. ChestoResto is good, giving me free health with Rest, and waking me up.

So, thanks to Faladran, I decided to switch Shaymin for Flygon. Flygon can help me out with various problems, like steel types. It can also work as a good scout.

Now let's begin, shall we?

Gliscor @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- U-Turn

Switching Gliscor back to the front, as the advent of Machamp leads is really declining. With Taunt, I'll do the same as everything. Taunt slower leads, and use U-Turn to quickly escape, and set up some rocks. Earthquake can help me out later, and so will Taunt, in-case of Blisseys or Skarms, or etc. Still, it's good so I won't have things setting up 99.99% of the time. I also gave him the Yache Berry, so Ice-Type moves won't do anything.

Synergy:
Ice-

Water-
-

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

I won't be needing Starm as a lead anymore, due to the Machamp lead usage declining. I can still use him as a great Spinner, and something to deal some damage with. Bolt-Beam is a really good combo, and STAB Hydro Pump nails them hard in the face. Ice Beam is for anything that doesn't resist it, and it gets combo'd by Thunderbolt. STAB Hydro Pump is the same, but with more "oomf" to it, in-case it does not miss.

Synergy:
Grass-

Dark-

Ghost-

Bug-
-
-
-

(Keeping Rotom-W)
Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpAtk
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-o-wisp
- Trick

With Smith's advice taken to great consideration, this ghostly washing machine allows me to mess up Spinners. With Choice Scarf, it can outspeed Starmie, and hit it with a STAB Thunderbolt, making quick work of it. It can also trick Scarf onto Forretress, and then take it out with whatever I can. With Hydro Pump, I can hit Pokemon who don't resist it, and in a very fast way..

Synergy:
Ghost-

Dark-

Skarmory (F) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/240 SDef/16 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Spikes

Blocking both Special Attacks and Physical attacks, Skarmory allows me to block common things like Shaymin and Gengar, etc. I can also set up 3 layers of spikes in-case I want to inflict more damage. He can also pHaze any boost Special Attackers, such as Nasty Plots, or Charge Beams, or Calm Minds.

Synergy:
Fire-
-
-

Electric-
-

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 SDef
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

So with some very thoughtful recommendations, I've decided to go with Flygon. I've been having a constant problem with Steel types, like Bronzongs, who just don't get hit hard enough. Fire Blast does the trick. Also, a problem with ScarfTran. Flygon outspeeds it, delivering a nasty Earthquake. It can also be a reliable scouter, incase I need to predict the opponents moves.

Synergy:
Dragon-

Ice-

Kingdra (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP/160 Atk/40 SDef/164 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage

Ah, Kingdra. Frickin love this Dragon. Resisting both Fire and Water, this guy is wicked crazy. Taking up Smith's(thanks man!)advice, changing it to the Chesto'Resto' set. While setting up Dragon Drances an the threat removing some health, I can restore most, if not all of that health back using Rest, whilst waking up from the Chesto Berry's effect, giving me a chance to sweep.

Synergy:
Dragon-

Conclusion:
Like I said, I've tweaked this team trying to eliminate any threats that might harm the team. I like this team very much, but I still do think it can do better.
So without further a do....RATE!

My Team of late 4th gen is almost, if not fully, complete. I'd like to thank everyone who helped me fix this team up.

Sup, got your message. This team seems like it suffers from some nasty synergy problems- you have 3 Pokemon weak to ghost, dark, and fire, with some very shaky resists. Things like LO Gengar , DD Tyranitar, Lo Heatran, SD Infernape etc. will absolutely terrorize you. Sd Lucario actually does 6-0 if he has bullet punch. I think one way to solve these to an extent would be the replacement of Froslass. Why would you compound these weaknesses when you have another Pokemon to set Spikes in an arguably more effective manner? I think you should change Skarmory to the standard special defensive version, to set up spikes. Special defense is more than worth only a slight drop in defense and allows you to stop Gengar, Shaymin etc. This allows you to replace the admittedly crappy Froslass with a better lead! Try Lead Gliscor, as he actually solves most of your problems except for possibly Infernape- but I'm getting to that. He also solves some synergy issues and give you a great switch into Tyranitar, etc.

Gengar isn't the world's most reliable spin blocker either, basically any spinner beats him. Since your team lacks a revenge killer, you might want to consider using a bulky scarf Rotom.

@ Choice Scarf
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpAtk
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Will-o-wisp
-Trick

He basically serves as an excellent check to so many things, the most frequently rated Pokemon in my experience. He serves as a secondary check to Infernape, Lucario, Gyarados- basically anything he can hit with his attacks or burn. The HP EVs allow him to withstand Starmie, and he can burn forretress so payback doesn't do a lot of damage. Much better spin blocker and provides very welcome services for this team.

I think you also probably need some set "updates". Why not use LO Shaymin instead, so that you can actually break fwg cores without predicting excessively? Keep the same set, just change the item. Rest heals off LO recoil, the change in power isn't excessive, and the bulk is such that LO recoil isn't a big deal. Much better set, I implore you to try it. In terms of Kingdra, nothing "wrong" per se but ChestoRest is a better set in my opinion. Greater bulk, still dodges status, can actually recovery it's health- why, there's no reason to not use him over the outdated SubDD! I think you'll like this change as well.

That's all the advice I have, hope this helps.

Smith made some nice suggestions for this team. Watch out for Lum DD Dragonite and offensive Shaymin. Both can find opportunities to set up on some of your team members, and will be rather troublesome to take down. Also, keep in mind that while your own Shaymin gives you an extra switch-in to bulky Waters, Kingdra accomplishes the same task quite well. Kingdra is rather unique in the fact that its typing allows it to switch in and set up on both Fire- and Water-types most of the time. Therefore, while it is useful in some situations, Shaymin may not be completely necessary on this team.

The first change I'd like to suggest would definitely be to use LO Starmie over your current set. It fits in much better with the offensive pace of this team, and adds Ice Beam to help you against opposing Grass-types. Starmie is also a great abuser of entry hazards, since it can typically clean through a lot of teams after some residual damage. If some of the threats I mentioned get to be problematic, you could try out Scarf Flygon over Shaymin. It retains the ability to switch in to Electric attacks, and works great alongside Kingdra for weakening Steels. A moveset of U-turn / Outrage / Earthquake / Fire Blast is what I would recommend, since you don't a strong Fire-type presence on this team. Fire Blast can be used with great effect to hit common Flygon switch-ins like Skarmory or Forretress, preventing them from laying down entry hazards.

Good luck!

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Therefore, while it is useful in some situations, Shaymin may not be completely necessary on this team.
Thanks Faladran! Will update. However, my question is, how will I remove Bulky waters?
Vaporeons carry Roar, which will pHaze my Kingdra from setting up.

EDIT: Nevermind, I believe Starmie's Thunderbolt does the job.

My quote basically speaks for itself. Shaymin is useful in some situations - such as against Water-type phazers. Roar Vaporeon tends to be relatively rare, but it will be problematic to take down since Kingdra cannot set up on it. Shaymin also has trouble switching in directly since it will most likely be phazed out, racking up entry hazard damage, but it can at least check Vaporeon if it manages to come in. As for your team, it's really just a matter of which changes you find are more useful. I personally felt that Dragonite and Shaymin were more common than Roar Vaporeon, but you may have to do some playtesting to decide on the details. If you decide to go with LO Starmie, though, your Shaymin weakness will be considerably alleviated.

Hey buddy. =)

In your description for Gliscor it says he can Taunt stuff, but you don't have Taunt in the moveset. I think it's an important move for leads though, so I might put it in place of Roost. I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out. Against slower leads you want to be able to Taunt them, and against faster leads that will probably start by Taunting you, you cna just U-turn to whatever and come back in and lay rocks after. Roost is a really good move, but I see it being the least useful of the possible options to cut.

I'm also all for testing out Scarf Flygon in Shaymin's spot, and the moveset that Faladran suggested seems pretty good.

Good luck with the team!

I don't really see the need for a spin blocker. I barely see them in OU anymore, but half of the time when I do, they are packing assurance.

Also a bolt-beamer really tears through your team

wombakage, you're really telling me you don't see Rotom-A around much? 0_0

Shaymin isn't redundant on this team but Kingdra should be a better switch for you into non-pseudohazing waters, so I'd also like to recommend Scarf Flygon which in addition to helping out Kingdra and offering some helpful resistances, its U-turn allows you to get some good mileage out of your hazards.

This is the first time I have ever rated a team, so im sorry if my advice sort of sucks, anyway I have an idea. Possibly you could replace Rotom with this...

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 Special Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
Timid Nature (Speed + Attack -)
Trick
Shadow Ball
Thunder Bolt
Hidden Power (Fighting)

I know this might not serve quite the same function as rotom, but I think it's higher special attack should make it more powerful than rotom and I tried to give it a similar moveset.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Hey buddy. =)

In your description for Gliscor it says he can Taunt stuff, but you don't have Taunt in the moveset. I think it's an important move for leads though, so I might put it in place of Roost. I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out. Against slower leads you want to be able to Taunt them, and against faster leads that will probably start by Taunting you, you cna just U-turn to whatever and come back in and lay rocks after. Roost is a really good move, but I see it being the least useful of the possible options to cut.

I'm also all for testing out Scarf Flygon in Shaymin's spot, and the moveset that Faladran suggested seems pretty good.

Good luck with the team!
Oh sh-, my bad, I'll need to edit it! Anyways, that's a great idea mate, thanks for the rate!

I don't really see the need for a spin blocker. I barely see them in OU anymore, but half of the time when I do, they are packing assurance.

Also a bolt-beamer really tears through your team
Rotom-W is common.

wombakage, you're really telling me you don't see Rotom-A around much? 0_0

Shaymin isn't redundant on this team but Kingdra should be a better switch for you into non-pseudohazing waters, so I'd also like to recommend Scarf Flygon which in addition to helping out Kingdra and offering some helpful resistances, its U-turn allows you to get some good mileage out of your hazards.
Same thoughts, thanks!

This is the first time I have ever rated a team, so im sorry if my advice sort of sucks, anyway I have an idea. Possibly you could replace Rotom with this...

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 Special Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
Timid Nature (Speed + Attack -)
Trick
Shadow Ball
Thunder Bolt
Hidden Power (Fighting)

I know this might not serve quite the same function as rotom, but I think it's higher special attack should make it more powerful than rotom and I tried to give it a similar moveset.
Alright, we'll see how it turns out.

I actually disagree with healthylunches Scarf Gengar suggestion. Gengar is primarily an offensive pokemon and is actually kinda difficult to get into play unless you have a team which complements him well - which this doesn't. Its a terrible spinblocker since it gets KO'd whenever it switches in basically. Plus, its typing is worse and prevents it from taking down Scizor and the like.

Really, for this slot there's no competition, Rotom-W is a much better choice.

Spinners will almost always beat Gengar. The most common spinner by a long shot in stall is Forretress, who will always OHKO Gengar after 2 times coming into Stealth Rock (sometimes will OHKO after just once) using Payback. Rotom is always the better spin blocker. Here are some damage calcs of Forry using Payback on ScarfGar.

Physically Defensive Forry: 85.8% - 101.1%
Specially Defensive Forry:75.9% - 89.7%

Really, for this slot there's no competition, Rotom-W is a much better choice.
I couldn't agree with this more.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
bubbly and AlphaJolt:
Yeah, I've been getting better results with Rotom-W.

EDIT:
Threats are being listed.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cool team.

rating upon request from the OP. Danmire, to be honest, at this point your team seems to be almost perfectly balanced in terms of synergy among the Pokemon as they together, they seem to have many of the offensive and defensive threats of today;'s metagame checked. The strategy being used here is also noteworthy as it puts constant pressure upon the opponent through the use of entry hazards while simultaneously preparing the battlefield for your own Pokemon to sweep. However, your team seems to have slight problems with offensive Infernape as well as substitute (or passho/shuca) Heatran if these two Pokemon find a favorable time to switch in hand set up. Your team also has slight(er) problems with offensive Tyranitar and curse Hippowdon as these two Pokemon are usually seen with the likes of Scizor which is able to remove your key check, Starmie.

To remedy these minor threats, I recommend s simple change which will probably allow your team to better handle the aforementioned threats while also more or less improving the overall structure of your team. I recommend replacing a move on Rotom with Hydro Pump; i would suggest removing Shadow Ball as the ghost types it is meant to strike can almost always be handled by other Pokemon in your team, like Flygon. Hydro Pump, co-incidentally hit all of the aforementioned threats for super effective damage almost ensuring that you'll be able to remove them if they have taken a sufficient amount of residual damage which will easily be accumulated through the entry hazards your team means to set up. I hope this has helped and good luck!

You have a massive Jolteon weakness. Jolteon w/ HP Ice and Shadow Ball destroys your entire team. Jolteon is a common pokemon in the current metagame and it really needs help dealing with. Sure Flygon can EQ it but what happens when it uses Sub? Or predicts your switch in and HP Ice's you? Owned and now you're up a creek. That definately needs adressing.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Aerrow:
Thanks for rating my team! I really like that recommendation of Hydro Pump.
Really appreciate it.

Lucien Lachance:
When I look into prospective, Kingdra can take hits from Choice Specs Jolteon. ChestoResto has enough bulk to withstand a Shadow Ball or a Thunderbolt, giving me a free Dragon Dance. I don't see a lot of Jolteons now a days, and with a single boost, or maybe two, Kingdra can take it out. Now speaking about Substitute, that's a problem I'd have to work with. But in all honesty, thanks for pointing that out; gives me ideas ;)

well, if Gliscor is still around and it retains its Yache Berry, it takes 63.3% - 74.6% from HP Ice and does 115.1% - 135.8% W/ EQ. So you win if you take little prior damage and jolteon switchs into you and you SR or something.

I personally find Machamp leads to be much less common in the metagame, but there is a pretty easy way to deal with them if you are having trouble. One solution would be to move LO Starmie to the lead position, using Psychic over Thunderbolt or Ice Beam. A LO Psychic is powerful enough to OHKO Machamp, starting you off with some offensive momentum. Gliscor could simply be moved outside of the first slot to be used as a early to midgame Stealth Rock user and stallbreaker with Taunt. Since this wouldn't actually significantly change any of your team members, there shouldn't be too much of a difference. LO Starmie does make for a great lead though, as it puts a lot of pressure on many common leads.

I would also disagree with the Jolteon weakness. Jolteon is hardly capable of 6-0ing this team; of course it can hit every team member for heavy damage, but both Rotom-W and Flygon can outspeed and hit it for a significant amount. Flygon is even immune to Thunderbolt, and can therefore switch into Jolteon's primary STAB attack. The argument that opponents could predict and use HP Ice on Flygon isn't really appropriate here, either. Flygon needs to be played carefully, and basically any threat becomes a "major problem" when you factor in prediction. Additionally, there is completely no need to use Earthquake on SubJolteon considering that U-turn manages to break the Sub. SubJolt doesn't exactly have much durability, and SpecsJolt ends up being much easier to predict around. Other than that, I'm glad the updated version of the team has been working out well for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)