Crunchatize Me and Co. Proudly Present: Crunchy Offense [OU 'BulkyBalanced']

Introduction

Like all of my teams, Crunchy Offense started with a goal in mind. The goal can be general, like "Murder Stall", or it can be specific, like "CM Latias Sweep". The goal of this team is to pull off a sweep with Swords Dance Lucario. With its excellent typing (4x resistance to Pursuit makes me a happy camper), STAB and set-up move, as well as near unique access to ExtremeSpeed, little stands in the way of a Lucario sweep. And for the few pokemon that can stand in the way of my Lucario - this team is designed to give them hell. First and foremost is Lucario's one true counter, Gliscor. Gliscor can be EV'd to outspeed all varients of Lucario, resists Close Combat, takes little even from +2 ExtremeSpeed, and can OHKO in return with STAB super-effective Earthquake. The fact that it has a recovery move in Roost to stick around longer doesn't make Lucario's life any easier. For these reasons, I choose Gyarados for my team. Gyarados is immune to Gliscor's Earthquake, which is oftentimes its only move. While there, Gyarados can threaten Gliscor with a STAB super-effective Waterfall or it can Dragon Dance on the switch. Tyranitar then comes in to play. Tyranitar is an excellent partner for Lucario and Gyarados, Pursuiting / Crunching Rotoms that stand in their way while Gyarados takes care of the bulky Ground-types that plague Lucario. Lucario also appreciates the fact that Tyranitar takes care of other threats for a Lucario sweep, such as Scarf Heatran, and the fact that it lures Gliscor, who it taken care of by Gyarados. This combination makes up my core and it works very efficiently as a unit to set up a Lucario sweep and break Stall. It does, however, leave me weak to certain threats. Opposing Swords Dance Lucario have a ball if they are Stone Edge varients (especially with Jolly), as they may outspeed and OHKO everything straight away. Opposing DD Gyardos can go to town on my Tyranitar if it is locked into Earthquake. Both Dragon Dance and Mixed varients of Salamence give me issues. Choice Band Tyranitar with Earthquake hits everything for super-effective damage. Gengar with Focus Blast will annoy me. For these reasons, I select Choice Band Scizor and Choice Scarf Rotom for my team. Choice Scarf Rotom stops SD Lucario and DD Gyarados being able to outspeed and OHKO both with Overheat and Thunderbolt, respectively. Rotom does about ~51% damage with Thunderbolt to Salamence, which with Stealth Rock (25 %), Life Orb (10 %), and Sandstorm damage (6.25 %), naive variants go down rather quickly. Scizor's Bullet Punch also takes out most Salamence after Life Orb and Stealth Rock, and varients that don't have Life Orb probably don't have Fire Blast either, meaning Scizor can just absorb an Earthquake and Bullet Punch again. Swampert ties everything together, providing me with Stealth Rock and the best Tyranitar check not named Groudon that anyone could ask for.

From afar:

tl;dr - every type is resisted twice except for water

Change log
  • Changed Rotom to Timid with the spread: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe to outrun Empoleon after Agility.
  • Changed Stone Edge to Bounce on Gyarados to hit Celebi.
  • Changed Earthquake to Aqua Tail on Tyranitar to catch Gliscors on the switch

Notes
  • Stealth Rock user
  • Phazer
  • Two Toxic Spike weak pokemon
  • One Stealth Rock weak pokemon
  • Every type is resisted twice except Water
  • Only one reliable Dragon resist
  • Three Choiced pokemon
  • Two priority users
  • U-turn user
  • Two Pursuit users
  • One Taunt user

Upon further inspection:

Act I: Exposition
Each "act" is a unit, serving a unique purpose. This act's purpose is make sure I start off on the right foot, by getting Stealth Rock up early and scouting the opponent with Roar - like the exposition of a story, revealing the characters.

Swampert
|

@ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
  • Stealth Rock
  • Earthquake
  • Ice Beam
  • Roar

Every team loves Stealth Rock, and this team is no exception. Lucario teams love Stealth Rock especially, as it OHKO's really helps him turn 2HKO's into OHKO's. Anyway, Stealth Rock is everyone's favorite Mence and Gyara pseudo-check, and it also keeps stall from fucking around with too much switching, to an extent. Earthquake provides Swampert a 100 BP STAB move and turns him into my Tyranitar check. Ice Beam is for coverage; this combination hits the entire metagame for neutral or better damage, minus Bronzong. The 56 SpAtk EV's guarantee a KO on Salamence even without SR, which is cool. I'm another person who likes to parrot the statement "Swampert is the best Stealth Rocker in the game". With excellent typing and resistances, paired with his respectable defensive stats and resistance to Stealth Rock, Swampert not only has the ability to set up rocks both early and mid game, but he can also do it without suiciding or suffering from four moveslot syndrome. I'm considering Avalanche over Ice Beam to his Latias on her weaker stat, but I'm not sure if it's worth it due to Salamenace's intimidate. Overall, Swampert is great. Roar is cool for the leading position as I can Roar annoyances away quickly or set up Stealth Rock and spam Roar to scout and accumulate Stealth Rock damage. Swampert fares well against most leads except, ironically, for the number 1 lead, but I can take care of that one easily.

Swampert against top 15 leads
Azelf: Switch to Tyranitar. Sandstorm breaks the Sash, and Pursuit KOs.
Metagross: Stealth Rock. If it Stealth Rocked, switch to Rotom for the Explosion, if not, stay in and Earthquake.
Jirachi: Rotom can take Iron Heads, Tricks, and Body Slams and Thunder Wave is unlikely due to Swampert's immunity.
Aerodactyl: Ice Beam twice.
Smeargle: I don't like this - switch to Tyranitar to break the sash and take the sleep clause.
Infernape: Stealth Rock, then Roar. I don't Earthquake in case it as Endeavor varient.
Heatran: Switch to Gyarados for fear of Hidden Power Grass, and Waterfall away.
Hippowdon: Stealth Rock, then Roar
Tyranitar: Earthquake the mofo
Crobat: Rotom can take Super Fangs, Brave Birds, and U-turns and retaliate with Thunderbolt.
Bronzong: Stealth Rock and switch to Rotom.
Gliscor: Ice Beam. Though it will probably switch, an early KO on Gliscor is better for a Lucario team than early rocks. Plus, if Gliscor stays in, it is probably to Taunt.
Ambipom: Switch to Rotom for the Fake Out, then back to Swampert for the Payback. Stealth Rock while it Double Slaps / U-turns.
Forretress: Switch to Gyarados and Taunt. Now it can't set up hazards. If it's a forry lead, then its likely a stall team, and if its stall team, then it probably has resttalk rotom - and Tyranitar LOVES a Taunted resttalk Rotom.
Mamoswine: Stealth Rock, then Roar so that I don't have to go through the Endeavor stuff.
Abomasnow: Scizor resists both STABs and has super-effective Bullet Punch and U-turn.
Empoleon: Switch to Gyarados as it Grass Knots, then Taunt the Stealth Rock.

Act II: Enemy at the gates.
This act is named enemy at the gates because it's meant to keep specific threats in check. Also, it's a good movie (go watch it).

Scizor
|

@ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 160 HP / 176 Atk / 4 Spe / 168 SpD
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
  • U-turn
  • Bullet Punch
  • Superpower
  • Pursuit / Quick Attack

Yeah Scizor is more or less totally and completely awesome. Using his massive bulk and excellent typing (10 resists, 1 weak) he says fuck you to everyone and either Punches them in the face or U-turns to a friend. U-turn is excellent for scouting, and its easy to find places to use it on slower pokemon (ie swampert) or pokemon that can't hurt it much (ie latias) and hit the switch in for good damage while bringing out the appropriate pokemon for my foe. As such, proper usage allows me to remain in control of the match because I'm almost guaranteed to have the upper hand after a U-turn. Bullet Punch works well in tandem - where U-turn punishes those who switch, Bullet Punch smacks those who stay in (this is more true of frailer pokemon). Speaking of Bullet Punch, it reaches 90 power after a STAB and Technician boost, which is cool. Superpower is a coverage move, OHKOing Blissey, Lucario, etc. Pursuit takes out pokemon like Choice Scarf Latias, SubCharge Rotom, etc., and also receives a Technician boost, leaving it with 60 base power. Quick Attack is sometimes used as I already have a Pusuiter (Tyranitar) but I've generally found Pursuit to be more useful. Even though I already have Tyranitar, I use a Specially Bulky EV spread because it allows me an easier time against things like Life Orb Starmie.

Damage Calculations:
Superpower vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Impish Skarmory: (42.22% - 50.00%)
U-turn vs. 252 / 252 Impish Gyarados: (14.21% - 16.75%) - minimum of ~39% with Stealth Rock down
U-turn vs. 0 / 4 Adamant Gyarados: (24.17% - 28.70%) - minimum of ~49% with Stealth Rock down.
Bullet Punch vs. 4 / 0 Rotom-a: (31.40% - 37.19%)
Bullet Punch vs. 164 / 0 Tyranitar: (78.53% - 92.67%)

Rotom-h
|

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 156 HP / 124 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Trick

Just as a team needs certain members to set up an ideal environment for a win condition, a team also needs members to prevent the opponent from doing the same. Rotom does just this - he is the glue that keeps my team from completely falling apart to huge threats of the metagame such as DD Gyarados, opposing Swords Dance Lucario, and Mamoswine. Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball are obligatory STAB moves and provide me with coverage against the likes of Gyarados, Vaporeon, and Gengar. Overheat is a coverage move, and hits threatening pokemon like Lucario, Metagross, and Mamoswine. Trick is cool for catching Blissey / Swampert on the switch, crippling them for the rest of the match and making it more difficult to stop my team. The EV spread has been awesome for me. 228 Spe lets me outspeed positive natured base 130's with a Choice Scarf, and also lets me outspeed max+Jolly Breloom and Adamant Mamoswine after I have Tricked the Scarf away. 156 HP EV's gives me some much appreciated bulk, and a Leftovers number after I have tricked something like Blissey or Swampert. 124 SpA EVs gives me an extra SpA point. Since I already outspeed everything I need to with the given spread, I can afford to run Modest for the extra power. Rotom can also serve as a Spin Blocker, if needed. Overall, Rotom's typing, bulk, resistances, and respectable Special Attack and Speed make him an excellent utility for this team.

Act 3: Setting the stage.
This act is called setting the stage because its purpose is to taylor the perfect conditions for a Lucario sweep.

Tyranitar
|

@ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Testing Scarf Tar

Part one of my Lucario support core. Choice Band Tyranitar is stupidly powerful - with a Choice Band, he reaches an incredible 604 Attack stat. Crunch and Stone Edge are my STAB moves. Stone Edge is just lovely, 2HKOing the mighty Skarmory. It also OHKO's Scizor, which is cool because people like to switch that into my Tyranitar for some reason, even though Babiri Tar is very popular. Crunch is my other STAB move, and it comes with a handy 10% chance (iirc) of Defense drop. This is awesome for Swampert, who is 2HKOed with the defense drop. Pursuit is very cool. It takes out Rotoms (especially offensive ones) and other Ghost- or Psychic-types that run away from Tyranitar. Tyranitar is also my primary answer to lead Azelf, as very few have Grass Knot. Sand Stream breaks Azelf's Focus Sash, and then I put Azelf into a checkmate position with Pursuit. Pursuit also takes care of other pokemon that can't really stand up to Tyranitar, such as Choice Specs Jolteon.

The Spe EVs are the mosrt peculiar and yet most important part of this set. Although most Tyranitar run only enough Speed to outrun the standard Skarmory, I run 204 Speed to beat a very special threat - no speed Rotom-a. Outspeeding Rotom-a is essential to the success of this team. This is because I need to be able to switch into a Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball from Rotom and then Crunch it before I get Burned. If I do not do this, Rotom sticks around to wall my Lucario, who I do not run Crunch on. Though my Gyarados does have Taunt to make situations where Burning Tyranitar is a non-factor, this will not always be the case, and I feel that I cannot rely on that situation occuring - even though its not far-fetched, as Rotom swithces into Gyarados a lot. However, when I think of it that way - that is really the only time Rotom will switch in, except for Scizor. And if it does switch into Scizor, it will use Will-O-Wisp anyway. So I may consider changing my Tyranitar EV spread, as the only situation where Tyranitar swithces into Rotom 100% safely is when I've Taunted it with Gyarados first and in those situations, the Speed EVs are not needed.

"Why not Aqua Tail?" one might ask. Yes, at first glance it does seem logical to use Aqua Tail to take care of Gliscor, Lucario's number one threat. However I avoid Aqua Tail for three reasons. One, Aqua Tail is a 2HKO, and Gliscor will outspeed Tyranitar and can hit it with a STAB super-effective Earthquake. Two, Gyarados already takes care of the bulky Ground-types. Three, there are certain Steel-types I like to hit - most importantly Choice Scarf Jirachi, who is a threat to Lucario.

Gyarados
|

@ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Here is Part two of my Lucario support core. Bulky Taunt DD Gyarados is a sweeper, supporter, a wall, and likes to collect stamps in his spare time. Anyway, Gyarados serves one main, but extremely important purpose - countering Gliscor. With his high defensive stats, Intimidate, immunity to Earthquake and possession of a STAB and super-effective Waterfall, Gyarados does that job excellently. Taunt is the most important move in the set. Since Gyarados often lures Rotom, I use Taunt very liberally. This is because Rotom can have Will-O-Wisp. However, with Taunt, Will-O-Wisp is useless - making Rotom Pursuit bait for Tyranitar in every sense of the word. Taunt is also important for allowing me to beat walls. It stops Forrey / Skarmory from setting up entry hazards, it stops Swampert / Skarmory from phazing, and it stops <insert other wall here> from statusing. Now with these walls unable to use their support moves, they are left to use their weak attacking moves, which will do very little to Gyarados due to the lack of offensive investment on their part. This allows me to set up multiple Dragon Dances quite easily, and then sweep. Waterfall and Stone Edge has near perfect neutral coverage - the only pokemon that resist both are Breloom and Empoleon (fun fact: and Dialga). On a side note, Gyarados serves as a secondary Lucario check. The EV's let me survive two Life Orb Fire Blasts from Timid Heatran and outspeed Starmie after a Dragon Dance.

Act IV: The end.
Game over. If you see this, it usually means one of two things: one, I am about to lose the match; or two, you are about to lose the match.

Lucario
|

@ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Stone Edge

Enter Swords Dance Lucario, DPPt's premier endgame sweeper. All he needs is one mistake from a choiced pokemon to come in one of his ten resisted move types and then double his attack stat with Swords Dance and smack faces with his 120 Base Power STAB'd Close Combat and priority Extremespeed to make up for his below average speed. Stone Edge hits Resttalk Gyarados, which is usually stall teams' first answer to Lucario. Only one pokemon truly counters Lucario after a Swords Dance. Its name is Gliscor, who has the ability to outspeed all variants of Lucario, resist Close Combat and take pittance from Extremespeed and OHKO it with STAB'd Earthquake. There are several other checks to Lucario, including both offensive and defensive variants of Rotom, who OHKO's with Overheat or burns, Scarf / Expert Belt Jirachi, the first of which KO's with Fire Punch after a Close Combat defense drop, and the latter of which KO's either way, Scarf Heatran, who is handled with little issue by Tyranitar and his resistance to Fire Blast and awesome Special Defense thanks to Sand Storm, Gengar, who is handled by Scizor and Tyranitar, and quicker Salamence, who is taken care of by Swampert and Scizor, while Rotom can finish weakened ones. Gliscor itself has to answer to Gyarados, who is more or less its best counter, by threatening with Waterfall if it stays in or Dragon Dance if it switches out. As for stall, Lucario OHKO's every common member of stall after a Swords Dance besides Rotom-a, who this team is designed to remove.

Last look:

Special thanks to those who read all of it - I put a lot of time into writing this!

Threat List:
Due to my laziness I stole this from jibaku's RMT where he stole it from elevator_music's RMT. If you are reading up to this, I recommend that you also look at e_m's team and jibaku's team.

Black - not a threat
Blue - can be threatening; needs to be played around
Red - an absolute threat; requires utmost skill and top notch prediction to defeat.

- Scizor: Gyarados can take any of its moves, as can Rotom (minus Pursuit). Lucario sets up on Choice-locked Pursuits.
- Latias: I have two solid counters in Scizor and Tyranitar, who have STAB super-effective moves and Pursuit. Life Orb Grass Knot / HP Fire versions can be annoying, but not exceedingly difficult to defeat.
- Tyranitar: Swampert defeats it fairly easily. Scizor can Bullet Punch non-Babiri variants.
- Metagross: Both Swampert and Rotom wall this mofo pretty hard.
- Gyarados: Rotom outspeeds all versions and can Thunderbolt for the OHKO, my own Gyarados can intimidate it, Swampert can Roar it away if it doesn't have Taunt.
- Skarmory: Set up bait for Gyarados. Tyranitar's Stone Edge is a 2HKO. Rotom can switch in easily and has Thunderbolt to deal with it.
- Heatran: Handled with out a problem by Tyranitar or Gyarados. Torment versions require Gyarados to win.
- Magnezone: Beaten by Rotom, Swampert, and Tyranitar.
- Rotom-a: Tyranitar just Pursuits offensive variants, no problem. Defensive variants often switch into Gyarados and get Taunted, meaning Tyranitar can come in with out fear of Will-O-Wisp and Pursuit.
- Jirachi: Swampert, Gyarados, and Rotom can all take Iron Heads. Rotom can switch into Pursuit if needed.
- Lucario: Rotom can Overheat, Gyarados beats non-Stone Edge versions if he's in good health. Scizor can Bullet Punch after a couple of Defense drops from Close Combat. Specs variants need to be predicted around.
- Starmie: Life Orb Hydro Pump versions are dangerous and need to be predicted around. I have to lure a Thunderbolt using Gyarados and then switch in Scizor to Pursuit it.
- Azelf: Leads are handled by Tyranitar - everything else is handled by Scizor
-
Infernape: Gyarados walls it kinda, and Swampert can take versions with out Grass Knot. It really can't switch in anyway, minus Rotom's Overheat.
- Blissey: Set up bait for Gyarados, also destroyed by Tyranitar, Scizor, and Lucario. Rotom can Trick it.
- Bronzong: It can't really hurt anything. It just sets up Stealth Rock and then its only use against my team is Explosion - Rotom.
- Celebi:This requires top-notch play to defeat. I need to predict switch ins to catch it will Shadow Balls and Crunches. It is a big threat to a Lucario sweep, and its 100/100/100 defenses are difficult to penetrate. Scizor is too slow to defeat it, Swamperts Ice Beam too weak (and he is hit by Grass Knot), which leaves things up to Tyranitar and Rotom - one of which is weak to Grass Knot, and both are Choiced.
- Swampert: Set up bait for Gyarados. Scizor does ~35% with U-turn.
- Roserade: Annoying. Against leads, first switch in Scizor for the Leaf Storm, then Tyranitar to break its Focus Sash. Back to Scizor for the Bullet Punch. Now I've revealed half my team.
- Salamence: Gyarados can Intimidate it. Tyranitar and Scizor can take Draco Meteors. Scizor's Bullet Punch is a 2HKO. Swampert beats DD versions.
- Gengar: Scizor beats it. Just hope it's not MYSTICGAR!!!!!
- Suicune: 3 Attack CM is annoying. I have to Trick it a Scarf and then predict around it. Otherwise, Rotom's Scarf cripples all other versions severely.
-Forretress: Set up bait for Gyarados. Tyranitar's Stone Edge is a 2HKO. Rotom can Overheat it. Mono-Payback is set-up bait for Lucario.
- Vaporeon: It just kinda sticks around until Lucario gets a Swords Dance, and then it's useless. Tyranitar can beat it one on one if needed.
- Zapdos: Tyranitar
-Kingdra: Swampert roars this away, Gyarados intimidates, Rotom outspeeds after a DD and Thunderbolts.
- Aerodactyl: lol
- Gliscor: Gyarados counters it
- Mamoswine: Scizor can Bullet Punch, Rotom can Overheat, Gyarados can take anything but Stone Edge.
- Snorlax: Roar it away with Swampert
- Empoleon: Gyarados can switch in and Taunt it if it used Substitute. Rotom outspeeds after an Agility and Thunderbolts.
- Hippowdon: Set up bait for Gyarados.
- Weavile: yeah.... just about everything beats this...
- Jolteon: Tyranitar beats it
- Smeargle: let somebody take the sleep then switch to Tyranitar and Pursuit. Swampert can Roar BellyPassers.
- Cresselia: Tyranitar Crunch for 2HKO, Scizor U-turn
- Machamp: Mainly because of Confusion hax, but it can be played around.

How bout a timid nature on rotom so you can outspeed +1 gyara without fail? I don't think Gyara's a huge problem for your team, but I think being able to use rotom as a failsafe revenge killer would make your life easier

I like to have Modest to help perform better against bulky-ish pokemon like Salamence. Jolly Gyarados is very rare and if it is Jolly then it likely doesn't have Taunt, meaning my Swampert can Roar it away. Also, I don't have a particularly hard time against Gyarados, as I have both Rotom and a Gyarados of my own to switch in and Intimidate it.

I would use Bounce>Stone Edge on Gyarados simply because it has STAB and a chance of paralyzing if it doesn't OHKO. Otherwise, looks pretty solid. Nice team.

Bounce actually doesn't seem like a bad idea as I have Tyranitar to take care of Zapdos. I will test it.

First, this seems like a solid team and does a pretty good job at getting a lucario sweep.

Next, I see a huge weakness to subpataya empoleon. It could easily set up on scizor locked on bullet punch or pursuit. Tyranitar's crunch, stone edge, and pursuit too. Gyarados is walled by him resisting both his moves(but you can always taunt him). Scizor's bullet punch only does an average of 13.46% - 15.71% to him, so even after 3 subs it wont KO him. After a agility and pataya boost swampert doesn't stand a chance, scizor wont be able to KO him while he can, rotom is out speed and KO'd, tyranitar doesn't stand a chance, and luke is picked off easily. So empoleon has many opportunities to come in and set up.

To fix this I have a simple solution. Empoleon reaches 428 speed after a agility so just change rotom's nature to timid and with 212 speed evs. Next dump the rest of the evs onto your attack.

is there a reason that your gyarados has 244 speed?

176 evs let you still outspeed positive natured 115 after a DD

First, this seems like a solid team and does a pretty good job at getting a lucario sweep.

Next, I see a huge weakness to subpataya empoleon. It could easily set up on scizor locked on bullet punch or pursuit. Tyranitar's crunch, stone edge, and pursuit too. Gyarados is walled by him resisting both his moves(but you can always taunt him). Scizor's bullet punch only does an average of 13.46% - 15.71% to him, so even after 3 subs it wont KO him. After a agility and pataya boost swampert doesn't stand a chance, scizor wont be able to KO him while he can, rotom is out speed and KO'd, tyranitar doesn't stand a chance, and luke is picked off easily. So empoleon has many opportunities to come in and set up.

To fix this I have a simple solution. Empoleon reaches 428 speed after a agility so just change rotom's nature to timid and with 212 speed evs. Next dump the rest of the evs onto your attack.
Alright, I was originally against it but I will change Rotoms spread to Timid 40 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe. I've previosly relied on getting it into Torrent range and then using the double priority stuff, but this is better.

is there a reason that your gyarados has 244 speed?

176 evs let you still outspeed positive natured 115 after a DD
According to the analysis it outspeeds Max Jolly Tyranitar, but that is kind of unnecessary due to Swampert. It doesn't hurt however, to have an emergency switch into tyranitar and it's only 8 'wasted' EVs.

I'm just wondering, what purpose does CBTar and CBScizor serve? I will rate this when I understand your viewpoint.
How about reading his descriptions and figure it out yourself >__>

I’m still not understanding why you do not want Aqua Tail over Earthquake on Choice Band Tyranitar. You say “it 2HKOs Gliscor, but can be outstalled” when, in reality, non-Aqua Tail CB Tar is countered much more effectively by Gliscor, and if they decide to hit you with Earthquake you‘ll be helpless, whereas Aqua Tail lets you kill them (surviving the EQ as well). Aqua Tail is the best option on CB Tar, especially on a team like this. Potentially being able to eliminate Hippowdon AND Gliscor (it’s possible) gives Lucario, the main sweeper of this team, so much wiggle room it’s unbelievable. Besides, the threats you mentioned for Earthquake, Jirachi and Metagross, beat you anyway. The former outruns and 2HKOs you, while the latter lives the CB Earthquake and OHKOs you with Meteor Mash anyway. So…in short; Aqua Tail > Earthquake!

Otherwise, solid team. I can’t think of much threats that give you trouble, besides the occasional Machamp (but what team without Slowbro is not plagued by that mofo?)

I’m still not understanding why you do not want Aqua Tail over Earthquake on Choice Band Tyranitar. You say “it 2HKOs Gliscor, but can be outstalled” when, in reality, non-Aqua Tail CB Tar is countered much more effectively by Gliscor, and if they decide to hit you with Earthquake you‘ll be helpless, whereas Aqua Tail lets you kill them (surviving the EQ as well). Aqua Tail is the best option on CB Tar, especially on a team like this. Potentially being able to eliminate Hippowdon AND Gliscor (it’s possible) gives Lucario, the main sweeper of this team, so much wiggle room it’s unbelievable. Besides, the threats you mentioned for Earthquake, Jirachi and Metagross, beat you anyway. The former outruns and 2HKOs you, while the latter lives the CB Earthquake and OHKOs you with Meteor Mash anyway. So…in short; Aqua Tail > Earthquake!

Otherwise, solid team. I can’t think of much threats that give you trouble, besides the occasional Machamp (but what team without Slowbro is not plagued by that mofo?)
Here you go

"Why not Aqua Tail?" one might ask. Yes, at first glance it does seem logical to use Aqua Tail to take care of Gliscor, Lucario's number one threat. However I avoid Aqua Tail for three reasons. One, Aqua Tail is a 2HKO, and Gliscor will outspeed Tyranitar and can hit it with a STAB super-effective Earthquake. Two, Gyarados already takes care of the bulky Ground-types. Three, there are certain Steel-types I like to hit - most importantly Choice Scarf Jirachi, who is a threat to Lucario.
First, notice that I acknowledge that Aqua Tail is the best option for Gliscor. Second, notice that I don not say anything about 'out stalling'. Third, notice in both my Tyranitar and my Gyarados descriptions that explicitly show that Gyarados is my Gliscor counter, and he does that job well enough on his own that Aqua Tail is unnecessary. Fourth, Earthquake serves the important purpose of catching Jirachi's (very common Luke check) on the switch for huge damage, as well as hurting Steel-types in general you say I mentioned Metagross and Jirachi - I only mentioned Jirachi. This tells me you didn't really read my descriptions, which leads me to ask:

How about reading his descriptions and figure it out yourself >__>
Why didn't you read my descriptions if you're going to post something like that...

^^^ I disagree with what you think Gyarados does. It obviously counters Gliscor, but will Gyarados actually get the kill on him? No. Who lets their Gliscor take a Waterfall? And you need Gliscor dead, not running away.

To effectively kill Gliscor, you need to basically lure him in. CBTyranitar with Aqua Tail does just that. CB Aqua Tail, Crunch, etc. will all do some pretty decent damage to any jirachi switching in anyway, with Aqua tail doing 46% minimum and Crunch doing 61% minimum. Assuming this is early game, the damage will really rack up on Jirachi throughout the course of the match anyway. +2 ES does 31% minimum! So if you can hit Jirachi with a Crunch and have SR up, you can finish off the thing with an ES.

I say go Aqua Tail as well.

I usually Dragon Dance on Gliscors. If they bring in a Rotom or something, I just kill it with Tyranitar, and set up Gyara again later.

However chenman's numbers are pretty convincing - I'll test Aqua Tail on Tyranitar

First, notice that I acknowledge that Aqua Tail is the best option for Gliscor. Second, notice that I don not say anything about 'out stalling'. Third, notice in both my Tyranitar and my Gyarados descriptions that explicitly show that Gyarados is my Gliscor counter, and he does that job well enough on his own that Aqua Tail is unnecessary. Fourth, Earthquake serves the important purpose of catching Jirachi's (very common Luke check) on the switch for huge damage, as well as hurting Steel-types in general you say I mentioned Metagross and Jirachi - I only mentioned Jirachi. This tells me you didn't really read my descriptions, which leads me to ask:

Why didn't you read my descriptions if you're going to post something like that...
I did read your descriptions, whether you feel I did or not. While it is true Earthquake has its uses over Aqua Tail, the latter’s ability to prevent things like Hippowdon and Gliscor from coming in for free is far too great. You mention Gyarados as your Gliscor check, however, based off that, it means that every time Gliscor rears its head, Gyarados comes in. With Stealth Rock on the field (ridiculously easy to set up against Swampert, in fact, Swampert is the easiest lead to get rocks up on) its going to be taking 25% of its health each turn, meaning over the course of two switch-ins (easy to do, since Tyranitar with Earthquake cannot force Gliscor out since it’s faster and can Roost on the Stone Edge). With Gyarados weakened, you become a lot more vulnerable to things like Jolly Swords Dance Lucario with Crunch if Rotom-h Trick (not as common as Adamant, but still present) completely run you over, forcing you to use resisted priority to stop it. Jirachi takes a ton from a Choice Band Crunch assuming it runs standard Scarf set anyway, and your team uses it as set up fodder (you might as well enjoy seeing a Iron Head Jirachi, letting you bring in Swampert to Roar your opponents out, and Metagross loses to 4/6 of your team. Earthquake doesn't serve much of a purpose to be honest.

I don’t appreciate being falsely accused of not reading descriptions or being a hypocrite, but it’s your team, so have fun with it.

first i find it interesting that your pm wasnt quite as classy:

Valantaro said:
Are perhaps the most ungrateful stupid (BAN ME PLEASE) I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. Go on and continue being an ignorant asshole.
second just because your suggestions for my team may have been well founded does not mean that you didnt say things in your previous post that make it seem like you haven't read my descriptions.

kindly do not reply, I'm more interested in getting rates than arguing with you.

I really like this team! It's similar to one I'm currently testing with a Suicune/Lucario combination instead.

I think 3 Choiced Attackers is a bad idea though. You give your opponent way too many opportunities to set up with Scizor, Tyranitar, and even Rotom-H after Overheat.

In my opinion, you should make Tyranitar a mixed attacker. Unlike Scizor and Rotom-H, Tyranitar can perform the same purpose with this Expert Belt set.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sandstream
EVs: 252 Atk / 48 SpA / 208 Spe
Nature: Hasty (+Spe, -Def)
~ Crunch
~ Earthquake / Pursuit
~ Ice Beam
~ Flamethrower / Pursuit

Tyranitar easily lures in Gliscor, allowing you to OHKO it with Ice Beam. The EVs let you outspeed the standard defensive Rotom-A, letting you Crunch before WoW hits. Flamethrower takes out Scizor looking for a free U-Turn on Tyranitar since it outspeeds Adamant Scizor. Pursuit makes it easier to bluff CB if you choose to keep it, though you do lose some coverage. The lack of Stone Edge should be too problematic because you can still take out Zapdos with Ice Beam, followed by Earthquake when it uses Roost.

Also, like others have suggested, I would use Bounce over Stone Edge on Gyarados simply because it looks like your team would have troubles with Tinkerbell Celebi. Leaf Storm OHKOs Swampert, Tyranitar (IIRC) and Gyarados after Stealth Rock. HP Fire takes out Scizor/Lucario and Thunder Wave will render Rotom-H useless. Bounce will OHKO Celebi after a Dragon Dance, and it also means Breloom will no longer resist everything that Gyarados uses.

Other than that, your team looks solid. Good job.

eh - I've never had a problem with three choiced attackers and mixtar is kind of weak. plus if i give it pursuit that it will have four move slot syndrome, and I need Pursuit to deal with Rotom.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Haha good way dealing with him. Anyway, some threats you outlined in the threat list I think I have a good way of fixing. Scarf Tyranitar outspeeds them all, and still hits hard, and before they do. I think this set should be used:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
6 hp/252 att/252 spd
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Pursuit/Fire Punch

Fire Punch in the last slot if you think you're a good predictor for the Scizor switch-in. You could toy around with the EV's and put Fire Blast in there for Skarmory switch-ins. Basically, you'd be hitting everything you were before and then some, so that's why I think it should be there over your current set. I hope this helps, and good luck with the team!

What I don't like about that set is now that I've gotten used to having Aqua Tail I realize how important it is for getting a Lucario sweep with Gliscor around. I can't deny that it would help against these threats however. I will test your Scarf Tar as well as the mixed one in the analysis because it has Ice Beam in the analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)