Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

This set is absolutely deadly. It can singlehandedly beat full BP chain by correctly predicting Taunt/Roar. Beyond that, it functions as an excellent stall breaker, capable of severely weakening Chansey while shutting down Amoonguss/Venusaur-M and easily killing Skarmory. Even Quagsire fears the 30% burn from Lava Plume (if you can force switches you should eventually burn him). Thundurus without Focus Blast can only 3HKO; standard Suicune's Scald is a 4HKO. Basically, this thing is bulky. Also, keep in mind that in many scenarios, you'll be able to Taunt your opponents Stealth Rocker while getting up your own rocks, giving you a significant advantage. (I'm not posting anything else because I believe succinct posts are best xP.)

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

This set is absolutely deadly. It can singlehandedly beat full BP chain by correctly predicting Taunt/Roar. Beyond that, it functions as an excellent stall breaker, capable of severely weakening Chansey while shutting down Amoonguss/Venusaur-M and easily killing Skarmory. Even Quagsire fears the 30% burn from Lava Plume (if you can force switches you should eventually burn him). Thundurus without Focus Blast can only 3HKO; standard Suicune's Scald is a 4HKO. Basically, this thing is bulky. Also, keep in mind that in many scenarios, you'll be able to Taunt your opponents Stealth Rocker while getting up your own rocks, giving you a significant advantage. (I'm not posting anything else because I believe succinct posts are best xP.)
252+136+40 does not make 510, you forgot something

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Okay, this may seem a TAD gimmicky, but I believe it's actually one of the better users of this, so, without further ado, (or more cliches), I shall continue.
Dragonite WeaKness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVS: 252 Atk/252 Hp/4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Fire Punch
Dragonite makes the PERFECT weakness policy user, as he is one of the pokes that is most commonly hit with a super effective move - because that is practically the only way to kill him. Also, he can survive, almost guaranteed, provided his Hp is intact, easily surviving an icicle crash or ice beam. The crux of this moveset is Agility, as he will ideally have +2 speed along with +2 attack. There, he'll be able to use ExtremeSpeed to outspeed and kill most annoying ice shard users, or simply smash other pokes with a STAB dragon or his handy fire punch. He ideally sent in against a Weavile, Mamoswine, or perhaps even a Dragon type, to get ready to sweep. However, this Dragonite falls short when faced with Status, or perhaps something else I've overlooked.
Why agility over dragon dance? With dragon dance you get +3 atk and +1 speed, which is usually plenty. It also powers up extremespeed even more, and since it's +2 priority, you won't have to worry about getting outsped by anything, priority or otherwise.

I mean I guess the added bulk helps not being revenged so easily by things that can bulk the extremespeed, and the agility makes up for the lack of speed EVs, but otherwise what can this set do that standard WPnite can't do?

Charizard X tanks hits and Sweeps with Dragon Dance. Charizard Y brings Sunlight to the battlefield. Sometimes, however, Charizard decides not to hold it's Megastone. This is what happens then.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Miss
- Dragon Pulse/Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
This is Solar Power Specs 'Zard. This thing hits insanely hard in sunshine and is propably the hardest thing to switch into in OU. Its Special Attack is higher than Deoxys-A's, not counting the Choice Specs boost.
Fire Blast decimates everything, even Chansey fails to the power of a Sun and Solar power boosted Fire Blast. Litterary everything not being a Weather Changer bar Hippo and Obamasnow, AV Goodra, extermly bulky Quad-Resist or a Flash Fire Pokemon is 2HKO'd by Fire Blast after Stealth Rocks. Focus Miss deals with everything mentioned above bar AV Goodra. The Weather Changers are 2HKO'd or OHKO'd outside of Sun. Dragon Pulse is for AV Goodra and bulkier Kingdras, if you don't want to rely on Focus Miss' accuraty. Both are 2HKO'd or OHKO'd respectivly. Solar Beam on the other hand is when you want to net that OHKO on the specially bulkiest Suicune, while still nailing Kingdra, but Dragon pulse is usually prefered, because Suicune is 2HKO'd most of the time by Fire Blast anyway. Flamethrower is when you don't want to use Fire Blast.
Charizard likes shining beetles flying around it's flame. Volbeat can set up sun really quickly, while also being able to pass substitutes to Charizard. Passing substitustes to Charizard is insanely good, the shield helps it to decimate even more stuff. Charizard enjoys Defog Support. And Stealth Rock support. Sticky Web Support is also nice.

Calcs. Resist. Quad Resist.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Deoxys-D in Sun: 303-357 (99.6 - 117.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 375-442 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 80 SpD Lugia in Sun: 382-450 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune in Sun: 260-306 (64.3 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite in Sun: 294-346 (90.7 - 106.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp in Sun: 336-396 (93.8 - 110.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Garchomp in Sun: 307-362 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kingdra in Sun: 153-180 (52.5 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Charizard X tanks hits and Sweeps with Dragon Dance. Charizard Y brings Sunlight to the battlefield. Sometimes, however, Charizard decides not to hold it's Megastone. This is what happens then.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Miss
- Flamethrower
This is Solar Power Specs 'Zard. This thing hits insanely hard in sunshine and is propably the hardest thing to switch into in OU. Its Special Attack is higher than Deoxys-A's, not counting the Choice Specs boost.
Fire Blast decimates everything, even Chansey fails to the power of a Sun and Solar power boosted Fire Blast. Litterary everything not being a Weather Changer bar Hippo and Obamasnow, AV Goodra, extermly bulky Quad-Resist or a Flash Fire Pokemon is 2HKO'd by Fire Blast after Stealth Rocks. Focus Miss deals with everything mentioned above bar AV Goodra. The Weather Changers are 2HKO'd or OHKO'd outside of Sun. Dragon Pulse is for AV Goodra and bulkier Kingdras, if you don't want to rely on Focus Miss' accuraty. Both are 2HKO'd or OHKO'd respectivly. Solar Beam on the other hand is when you want to net that OHKO on the specially bulkiest Suicune, while still nailing Kingdra, but Dragon pulse is usually prefered, because Suicune is 2HKO'd most of the time by Fire Blast anyway. Flamethrower is when you don't want to use Fire Blast.
Charizard likes shining beetles flying around it's flame. Volbeat can set up sun really quickly, while also being able to pass substitutes to Charizard. Passing substitustes to Charizard is insanely good, the shield helps it to decimate even more stuff. Charizard enjoys Defog Support. And Stealth Rock support. Sticky Web Support is also nice.

Specs doesn't work well with charizard. Charizard in general isn't good unless it isn't mega evolved.

Specs doesn't work well with charizard. Charizard in general isn't good unless it isn't mega evolved.
Sunny day is outclassed by Zard Y. Dragon Dance is outclassed by Zard X. Life Orb has next to no longlivity. Specs is propably the best thing normal Zard can do without being outclassed by Mega Zard and the calcs prove that it works really well with normal Zard.

Sunny day is outclassed by Zard Y. Dragon Dance is outclassed by Zard X. Life Orb has next to no longlivity. Specs is propably the best thing normal Zard can do without being outclassed by Mega Zard and the calcs prove that it works really well with normal Zard.
If you're going to run specs Charizard, don't give it 4 HP EV's.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Miss
- Flamethrower

The problem with this is the amount of support this needs to get a kill. You're running Volbeat, hazards, and a Defogger for Charizard to get one kill and be forced out afterwards, and you're going to need to clear the field each time Charizard comes out if you want any sort of staying power. With that amount of support, why not have Volbeat BP Tail Glows to LO Latios or Greninja?

The problem with this is the amount of support this needs to get a kill. You're running Volbeat, hazards, and a Defogger for Charizard to get one kill and be forced out afterwards, and you're going to need to clear the field each time Charizard comes out if you want any sort of staying power. With that amount of support, why not have Volbeat BP Tail Glows to LO Latios or Greninja?
All of these attributes that are needed (or helpful) to support Charizard are useful for Sun teams in general, where you are (hopefully) running this Zard. You only need sun and maybe stealth rock for these kills, defog isn't really requierd, only helpfull, because you aren't going to switch out anyway. You are just sitting there and spamming Fire Blasts or Flametrowers to 2HKO next to everything in sight. Not even the Sub is really requierd, its just additional support to net more KO's. Also, the only things that might force you out are Ttar, Politoed, Flash Fire Pokemon, AV Goodra and Stuff that can outspeed and OHKO you. Sub passing eliminates the last thing, while blocking Pursuits from TTar. Dragon Puls, Focus Blast and Solarbeam are moves you won't use 99% of the time anyway. All of the mentioned 2HKO's are from Fire Blast, you'll be Choice locked in Fire Blast when you run this Zard.

Which is why you should never run regular Charizard. Why are you using it when Mega Charizard Y can summon its own sun, not get locked into a single move, and has way better special defense? Your Charizard deals 25% more damage, but give me the instant boosted Fire Blast/Solarbeam that Yzard offers anytime.

Also, if you want to run a sun team, the best pokemon you can use is Mega Charizard Y.

Which is why you should never run regular Charizard. Why are you using it when Mega Charizard Y can summon its own sun, not get locked into a single move, and has way better special defense? Your Charizard deals 25% more damage, but give me the instant boosted Fire Blast/Solarbeam that Yzard offers anytime.

Also, if you want to run a sun team, the best pokemon you can use is Mega Charizard Y.
Agree with the everything except the last paragraph. Charizard Y doesn't contribute anything to a sun team because it's sun is to short to pass on to a team mate. The best sun abuser is in fact Charizard X

Charizard @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Miss
- Flamethrower

(Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

The amount of support Charizard requires: Defog / Rapid Spin, Wish support, Sun, and Volbeat? That leaves you with one Pokemon to use, and it's not worth it. Mega Charizard Y fills the same role and brings its own support. Rampardos can 2HKO everything in OU bar a select Pokemon, but it is still a shitty gimmick.

heat man (Rotom-Heat) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Trick

I love running this set. Switch into a steel type like Ferrothorn or Scizor or possibly Bisharp to scare it away. From there I either trade the Flame Orb as an alternative to Will-o-Miss. It holds this item instead of a Choice Scarf so in case I want to paralyze the target I can proceed to Overheat or Volt Switch.

heat man (Rotom-Heat) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Trick

I love running this set. Switch into a steel type like Ferrothorn or Scizor or possibly Bisharp to scare it away. From there I either trade the Flame Orb as an alternative to Will-o-Miss. It holds this item instead of a Choice Scarf so in case I want to paralyze the target I can proceed to Overheat or Volt Switch.
Will-O-Wisp can be used 24 times. Flame Orb Trick can be used ONCE. And it doesn't do shit to anything holding a Megastone. And you forget you can switch out and it'll be holding the same item (So if you get a Assault Vest, you're SOL) Rotom-H (Along with the other appliances) has 86 Speed, so you'll be taking a hit before you Trick. And a Scarf can help for a quick Volt Switch. Stick to the Scarf.
Opening Post said:
What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
:/

Will-O-Wisp can be used 24 times. Flame Orb Trick can be used ONCE. And it doesn't do shit to anything holding a Megastone. And you forget you can switch out and it'll be holding the same item (So if you get a Assault Vest, you're SOL) Rotom-H (Along with the other appliances) has 86 Speed, so you'll be taking a hit before you Trick. And a Scarf can help for a quick Volt Switch. Stick to the Scarf.

:/
I think you're being a little harsh here, especially considering that ANY user of Trick/Switcheroo risks receiving an Assault Vest or being blocked by the holder of a Mega Stone. In my opinion, this is NOT a gimmick. The set does several things: bluffs Choice item, has paralysis support, and possibly cripples a Pokemon by taking its item/burning it simultaneously. Posting a Specs Charizard set is a gimmick. This set is creative.

I think you're being a little harsh here, especially considering that ANY user of Trick/Switcheroo risks receiving an Assault Vest or being blocked by the holder of a Mega Stone. In my opinion, this is NOT a gimmick. The set does several things: bluffs Choice item, has paralysis support, and possibly cripples a Pokemon by taking its item/burning it simultaneously. Posting a Specs Charizard set is a gimmick. This set is creative.
Like I said, it only works once. I can see from your POV though. Alright, it's fine I guess.

So I am trying to make an interesting resttalk set, and I think I want to use Mega Ampharos. I was thinking of something like this:
(Mega) Ampharos (ampharosite)
Modest (to maximize special attack with little investment)
252 HP 4 Special Attack 252 Special Defense
Rest
Sleep talk
Cotton guard
Dragon pulse/thunderbolt (dragon pulse has less resistances, but less powerful with 5 less PP)
I feel like mega ampharos is great resttalker due to its decent bulk and typing. All you need to do is set up a cotton guard and then you can rest when needed and possibly get another cotton guard up or hit dragon pulse/thunderbolt!
Any tips would be great!

So I am trying to make an interesting resttalk set, and I think I want to use Mega Ampharos. I was thinking of something like this:
(Mega) Ampharos (ampharosite)
Modest (to maximize special attack with little investment)
252 HP 4 Special Attack 252 Special Defense
Rest
Sleep talk
Cotton guard
Dragon pulse/thunderbolt (dragon pulse has less resistances, but less powerful with 5 less PP)
I feel like mega ampharos is great resttalker due to its decent bulk and typing. All you need to do is set up a cotton guard and then you can rest when needed and possibly get another cotton guard up or hit dragon pulse/thunderbolt!
Any tips would be great!

Eeeeh, seems pretty meh to me. Screams bait for Excadrill all over. And once the opponent figures out what attack you have, he will just bring a fairy/ground type to counter. The main problem is that both moves have a type immune to them. At least change Cotton Guard for the other attacking move.

Alakazam with leftovers, and magic guard
- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dazzling Gleam
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Timid nature

The Timid nature grants Alakazam just enough speed to outspeed pokémon that are strong against it, like gengar or Zoroark. This bulky Alakazam can boost up its defense with Barrier, surprising people and adding up nice bulk. Calm Mind raises not only the Special Defense, but also boosts up the power of your damaging move, Dazzling Gleam. You could use Psychic instead of Dazzling Gleam for the STAB but since Dazzling Gleam hits all sorts of types with all sorts of abilities, i found out that this works well. Recover is simply to recover your HP after you set-up your bulk

This set might sound very dumb, but works.
This set is set up bait for almost every steel type Pokemon.

- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dazzling Gleam
Timid nature

The Timid nature grants Alakazam just enough speed to outspeed pokémon that are strong against it, like gengar or Zoroark. This bulky Alakazam can boost up its defense with Barrier, surprising people and adding up nice bulk. Calm Mind raises not only the Special Defense, but also boosts up the power of your damaging move, Dazzling Gleam. You could use Psychic instead of Dazzling Gleam for the STAB but since Dazzling Gleam hits all sorts of types with all sorts of abilities, i found out that this works well. Recover is simply to recover your HP after you set-up your bulk

No offense, but this set seems to work up until you hit like 1200. Alakazam is either a wallbreaker with Life Orb or a revenge killer with with Focus Sash, or even a Mega. Alakazam will not be allowed time to fully setup and no Psychic STAB really sucks. Alakazam is just not bulky enough to make it work. Also, Alakazam hits 89 Speed with this spread, far below either Gengar or Zoroark.

- Barrier
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dazzling Gleam
Timid nature

What are some things that constitute a shitty gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in OU, for the sake of using it in OU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractacle or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.
  • This is an OU thread. Don't post some Lugia set.
As the 2 posters above have already mentioned, this particular Alakazam set won't work. You're investing HP and Def in a Pokemon that has shit stats in both. The 4 Speed EVs and a Timid nature aren't helping Alakazam outpace anything at all and thus you're wasting one of Alakazam's most important assets.

If you want a bulky Psychic-Type CM user, use Slowbrow. If you want a bulky CM user that is actually good in OU, use Clefable. I'm all for being creative, but this thread is for creative/underated sets that work in OU and are competitively viable.

That being said, I'd like to post my own 'creative' set on a Pokemon that isn't so underrated.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
EVs: 248HP/ 56 Def/ 160 Sp.Def/ 44 Speed
~Hydro Pump
~Volt Switch
~Will-o-Wisp
~Pain Split

Rotom-W usage is falling as the meta unfolds. His ability to reliably check MPinsir and counter Talonflame isn't as niche as the meta has adapted to them (and MPinsir usage tanking). However, Landorus usage rising does give specially defensive Rotom-W sets more viability. Sp.Def Rotom-W can reliably check Landorus that don't run CM.

0 SpA Rotom Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 182-216 (56.8 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 248 HP / 160+ SpD Rotom: 142-168 (46.8 - 55.4%) -- 16.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

44 Speed EVs of course outrun Azumarill and MMawile so you can Volt Switch to get out of the matchup (Play Rough destroys this set).

Don't know if this falls under gimmicks but it has been working very well for my team who appreciates its coverage and what it can now outspeed.

Goodra @ Expert Belt
Mild
Sap Sipper
80 Att / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
-Draco Meteor
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast

The 80 Att is to OHKO 252/0 Heatran 50% of the time (guaranteed with SR up), the 176 Spe IVs makes it hit 240 Speed which allows it to outrun any Adamant Bisharp so it can hit it with a Fire Blast before it OHKOs with LO Knock Off (which I'm sure it will try because not many people expect Goodra to be fast) Expert Belt is the item of choice due to its coverage and it also allows it to bluff Assault Vest or possibly a Choice Item? Ice Beam over Thunderbolt in the case of Ground type switches as well as a more reliable way to hit Grass types to avoid FB misses and another way to be able to hit Dragons/Flying types w/o a SpA drop. Ice Beam also has a 72.7% chance to 2HKO 248/180+ Zapdos and will always 2HKO physically defensive variants as it outspeeds both if they run 16 Spe(I'm taking these #s out of the Zapdos thread) w/o it a Roosting Zapdos wouldn't have any problems dealing w/ Goodra so long as it has Roost. Sap Sipper is the ability of choice for free attack boosts on switching in on Leech Seeds on Grass types it can take out. Also gurantees a 2HKO on 252/4 Mandibuzz which AV Goodra cant do reliably especially since it can Roost on a speed tie (sorry if any of this is irrelevant, just trying to come up with some common things I see that Goodra can now take care of with ease due to the extra Speed)

Started this off as a Special Scarf set for surprise revenge kills but eventually turned it into this which does a good job at removing certain things for my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)