Create Thread access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. As I'm sure most you who use stark know, we're always getting Spammed with questions and crap. "How do you hard core breeders do it"
etc.
I propose we make a user unable to post a thread unless he has 20+ posts.
After getting 20 posts, the user should know, by that point, to ask questions the simple question/request thread. 20 is also low enough that lurker can make threads. Also, this would stop a user from making multiple accounts and making bunches of trolling threads. (I've seen this happen a few times.)
Thanks for your time.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well...what about simple questions/simple answers? I realize that many threads started by users with fewer than 20 posts are of little substance or could easily be answered by simply reading info available on the site, but it seems to me that if someone wants help, people should help them. Also, 20 posts seems awfully arbitrary...why not 10? 30? 42? There is no post number at which people magically change from "lurker noobs" to "contributors"...it is a gradual process.

Besides, your problem seems to be that people are posting questions in places other than simple questions/simple answers, so why not just apply this restriction elsewhere? I would totally be in favor of such a measure in some of the other subforums.

In short, I like this idea, but feel it needs to be applied carefully, and certainly not to the simple questions thread. But hey, I am closer to "lurker noob" than I am to "contributor", so maybe someone with a little more experience can analyze it?

Edit: Stealthed by chaos. Guess I got my last request answered.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This makes the forum feel unwelcoming, in my opinion. I don't think that's a positive change for the community.

How would this be any better than just enabling thread moderation in stark? Another problem is that will just encourage spam, especially in the case of someone coming just to make a trade thread or something.

how does this make rule breakers suddenly read the rules? they'll just spam some other forum up until they get 20 posts and then post their thread - likely breaking more rules along the way than if we just let them go.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
how does this make rule breakers suddenly read the rules? they'll just spam some other forum up until they get 20 posts and then post their thread - likely breaking more rules along the way than if we just let them go.
This is what happened with the post-count requirement for tutoring.

Don't think this is a good idea.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Personally, cleaning up a bunch of simple question threads isn't that hard, either, so this is a fix for a problem that actually isn't much of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)