Coverage of US/CA Regionals - See post #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, with less than a week left to go we should organize some coverage again. What would be tremendously awesome is if there were TVs and someone could get a livestream going. If you do get one going, let me know on either IRC, Twitter, WhatsApp, or on the forums so it can be tweeted out to our followers.

People can follow @SmogonU for live updates of Masters. However, to get the information to tweet, I need people on the field to help. The best way to do this as we found out was via Twitter.

Twitter
Please put @SmogonU at the beginning of your posts so it notifies me and I can repost it on the Smogon account. Just say who's in what round or what round they lost in. Smogon usernames please as we might not know them by name!

IRC
Just update as normally on #smogon or any other channel you might see me on and it will be posted to Twitter.

Forums
Post how people are doing in the respective Nationals thread and it will then be posted to Twitter.

Streaming (copying this from my post in 2011)
You can help out with this if you have an Android or iOS-based smartphone. To do this, you'll want to have a very large or unlimited data plan.

1. First, sign up for an account at UStream.
  2. Second, download the UStream app from the App Store or Android Marketplace.
Let's help make this the best covered European Nationals circuit so far! I think we'll be fine for the UK but it'll be really good to get some help from the other countries where we have less users!

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My Twitter
I'll probably come on IRC throughout the day, especially during the latter parts.
I've got makiri's number on Whatsapp, so I can send him updates too, but I'll be glad to add you as well if that makes it easier?

I usually find myself forgetting to Tweet about VGC on the actual day so I think me Whatsapping is the best option. Obviously if i'm playing and doing well, I won't have that much time to update between rounds when playing but i'll try my best. I'll update streaming information in once I figure out my justin.tv details.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My Twitter!

I'll see what I can do about keeping that updated, thought covering a fair few people in 140 chars is a tough order. I have iPhone, what IRC is best for it? As I'll glady stay on there all day, if that's easier.

Signal better be decent idea, not gonna be happy with anything less than 5 bars 3G.

gec

pharos
My Twitter!

I'll see what I can do about keeping that updated, thought covering a fair few people in 140 chars is a tough order. I have iPhone, what IRC is best for it? As I'll glady stay on there all day, if that's easier.

Signal better be decent idea, not gonna be happy with anything less than 5 bars 3G.

IIRC the signal in the NEC last year was pretty shoddy at best, I think that's why people failed to set up a livestream. Hopefully it'll be better this year.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're not streaming it's probably better to switch to Edge for IRC. That will kill your batteries pretty fast and you don't need 3G for it. You can also use multiple tweets to get your message across!

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Chances are gec will get further than me next saturday, so if he's still playing in the later rounds and not able to do updates on IRC then I will.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Right guys, really sorry to bump a pretty much dead thread, but I think we should plan ahead. European Nats are pretty much over now, so it's time to look ahead to the US Regionals.

First of all, I think we should all thank Firestorm for staying up to mad hours, just to collate information about the EU nats. In return, I'm willing to stay up and do my best putting together updates about the US and Canadian regionals. With swiss pairings, it's easier to post in the breaks between rounds, rather than the mad rush of single elimination faced by EU events.

The same suggestions from the first post apply. I'll be able to update the twitter, but I need the information to do so, so it's upto you guys to get me the info., as there's an ocean between us. I'll also post a neatly formatted table of standings, which I'll keep as up to date as possible in each one, and you can all check that for the regionals you're interested in. If any people with an exceptional data plan want, they can WhatsApp me, pictures of the standings as this tool worked well when I was updating Firestorm from the EU. I'll only need a couple of volunteers from each one to do this, so let me know if you're able to. it'll be a major help to keeping me up to date.

Thanks in advance guys.

gec

pharos
Now that we finally have another mod not attending the USA/Canada regionals, I'm sure updating this won't be too hard. Like Dozz, I can tweet for SmogonU, update threads, et al.

If you'd like to WhatsApp me, just pm me or something to exchange numbers (or it's on my Facebook if you have that). I'll be on IRC all day presumably, to gather updates from those who pop in. Post in the respective regional thread if that suits you too. Either way, I'm sure Dozz and I can tackle this easily if we just get the updates necessary. Thanks!

I could try and cover the Philadelphia Regional, I'll certainly have my computer with me and it's just a matter of whether I can get connection. I hope there is decent time in between rounds, would make updating easier but also takes away from the INTENSITY.

As always, I'll be updating with pictures of pairings every round from my Twitter, CybertronVGC at Philadelphia. I think it's the most effective way of covering how everyone is doing, and is simple to do. I don't think they will be setting up TV's for this tournament either, but in the slight chance that they do, I can stream too. I'll also be on IRC throughout the day if anyone has questions, etc. 3 more weeks!

I have an Android so I can keep you guys updated in between Rounds at Philly. I think we should also stretch out to the outstanding Juniors such as Babbytron(an example, there are plenty more) and keep an update of them too. After all, they are also competing.

i'll be playing beside firestorm and co but i'm fairly active on twitter (@okapifeathers) so i'll update anyway @smogonU

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@solacevgc

Probably can take care of philly tweets

if irc decides to work ill be on there, and if people wanna text me for updates that'll be fine :)

i could also try livestreaming but the service is usually pretty bad i dont think there's any tv screens so it's probably not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)