Gyarados with leftovers
Adamant Nature
Intimidate
56 HP/ 248 ATT/ 204 Speed
Dragon Dance
Substitute
Waterfall
Earthquake

Doesn't care about earthquake at all. It can switch into stealth rock, and Fire Fang is absolutely pitiful against the intimidate loss. Gyarados sets up DD or subs and gets a head start on sweeping.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rotom W @ Leftovers
Levitate
Modest
112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Hydro Pump
Thunderbolt
Pain Split
Will-o-wisp

Does'nt really care about a +1 Waterfall (I think) and can OHKO with Thunderbolt. WoW is there so it can burn the fuck otta any physical attacker that switchs in, Pain Split for healing, yea p standard stuff

EDIT @

So Weaville can't stop miltank from either laying rocks or removing status from her teammates? I mean yea you win 1 on 1 but still don't prevent miltank from completing its job(whether it be rocks or team cleric).
You are missing the point. Your trying to counter the pokemon and the moment you add in shit like "Must be a rapid spinner / magic bounce user" in order to beat it. For example, doing things your way, its pretty damn hard to find a counter to Nidoqueen, that absorbs or spins Toxic Spikes away, and does'nt get OHKOed by one of its moves (I guess maybe Espeon but it won't like switching into an EQ or something)

@ Rotom-W:

Latias @Leftovers
Levitate
Timid - 252 HP/ 4 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spe

-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Dragon Pulse
-Substitute

This Latias easily counters and sets up on the above Rotom-W. Latias laughs at both Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt, and thanks to Calm Mind, they'll be doing less and less damage each turn. And, whatever damage it takes, it can recover off anyway. Latias doesn't care about the burn, but it has Sub to block it anyway (which it will, cause it's faster), and after a few CM's, Rotom-W can't even dream of breaking the Sub anyway. Oh, and Sub blocks Pain Split as well. Finally, Latias can basically use this Rotom-W to set up with Calm Mind, and sweep with Dragon Pulse.

EDIT: Just did a damage calc, and found out that hydro pump does between 20.33% - 23.9% to Latias without ANY boosts, so it can actually set up Substitute with impunity. Thought that that was a pretty important point to mention.

Latias @Leftovers
Levitate
Timid - 252 HP/ 4 Sp. Atk/ 252 Spe

-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Dragon Pulse
-Substitute
Haxorus@Choice Scarf
Mold Breaker
Jolly - 118Atk/224SpDef/168Spd

-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Dual Chop

If Latias subs as you come in, Dual Chop can 2HKO even with minimum damage rolls, while, if it does anything else, Outrage is always a OHKO. The Ev's mean that, even with either a layer of spikes or stealth rock, Haxorus can always live a +0 Dragon Pulse on the switch in, outspeed, and ko with outrage, while 448 speed allows it to still outpace +1 Dragonite, +1 Gyarados, Scarf Rotom-W, Scarf Heatran, and anything short of Ninjask without a boost of some sort.

Idk.... Switching haxorus into a dragon pulse?

Anyways.. I don't wanna use skarmory again.

Metagross@air balloon
252hp 252def 4atk
Impish
-meteor mash
-stealth rock
-ice punch
-earthquake

Can come in on any of haxoruses attack, and outrage is like a 5hko.
Is able to 2hko at the worst with meteor mash, and sr for utility

EDIT @

You are missing the point. Your trying to counter the pokemon and the moment you add in shit like "Must be a rapid spinner / magic bounce user" in order to beat it. For example, doing things your way, its pretty damn hard to find a counter to Nidoqueen, that absorbs or spins Toxic Spikes away, and does'nt get OHKOed by one of its moves (I guess maybe Espeon but it won't like switching into an EQ or something)
"It must also do so without becoming completely crippled, and without allowing the Pokemon being countered to complete its role successfully (for example, if your counter to Deoxys-D allows it to set up 3 layers of Spikes before it goes down it's not really a counter)."

As miltank accomplishes it's job of laying rocks(while weavile comes in) and being a cleric(low kick needs a crit to kill) I believe weavile fails under the above clause. I mean I get rocks and all status removed while the opponent gets a + 4 weavile who is revenged by priority/scarfers.

Metagross@air balloon
252hp 252def 4atk
Impish
-meteor mash
-stealth rock
-ice punch
-earthquake
Ninetails@Air Balloon
252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe/4 Hp
Timid
~Sunny Day
~Fire Blast
~Solar Beam
~Will-o-Wisp

Can come in and burn or outright KO Metagross with Will-o-Wisp or Fire Blast respectively. Outspeeds so it will always attack first. Sunny Day prevents Tyranitar and Politoed from using it as setup bait.

"It must also do so without becoming completely crippled, and without allowing the Pokemon being countered to complete its role successfully (for example, if your counter to Deoxys-D allows it to set up 3 layers of Spikes before it goes down it's not really a counter)."

As miltank accomplishes it's job of laying rocks(while weavile comes in) and being a cleric(low kick needs a crit to kill) I believe weavile fails under the above clause. I mean I get rocks and all status removed while the opponent gets a + 4 weavile who is revenged by priority/scarfers.
Actually I'm with ginganinja. I realize now that I made what "complete its role successfully" meant too ambiguous. I meant that for Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Deoxys-D who's primary role is setting something up, and then after that they're only used as back up walls (Ferrothorn depends on the set though). Basically, only if the Pokemon in question completes its ENTIRE role and then dies is it not countered. Miltank doesn't fall into this category as it also functions as a wall, and also after it dies it can't very well continue to be a cleric now can it?

Also, you're not supposed to respond to call outs. It's clear you read the main page but next time make sure to actually remember the whole rules eh?

Anyway, I've changed the definition of a counter to better articulate what I meant and I'm going to make a small edit to one of the rules (I've come to realize that call outs and counter posts in the same post aren't a bad thing so I'm striking out that rule).

Anyway, carry on.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Politoed can kill Ninetails in 1 hit if it fails to use sunny day, and even if it does Hydropump still does 53.1% - 63.54%, a 2HKO, and Politoed always takes a solarbeam. Yes, yes, misses happen, so this losses 36% of the time, but it is pretty much the only option for some offensive rain teams. Scarf Politoed can be an effective check for a team, and even an great end game sweeper. The evs are fairly simple, max speed to outspeed things and special attack to hit harder. Ice beam is for grass and dragon types, focus blast is for Ferrothorn and HP grass for fellow water types.

its CHANSEY time.

chansey@eviolite
bold/natural cure
252 hp 252 def 4 sp.def
-counter
-softboiled
-toxic
-seismic toss

she laughs at every single special attack in the world (except maybe secret sword...) and can PUNISH physical attackers with counter. (like machamp and dynamicpunch)... softboiled for recovery, toxic for stalling. straightforward

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

My nigga. Terrakion can easily come in on a seismic toss/softboiled/counter, or even a toxic cause he doesn't give a fuck, and proceed to set up a substitute or SD depending on which move he came into. The vast majority of Terrakions are choiced, and because a STAB Close Combat from that massive attack stat rolls through Chansey, it just serves as easy setup fodder. If Chansey was to stay in, expecting it to be choiced, it would most probably use Toxic/Counter, both of which allow Terrakion to get up a sub/SD and get prepared to sweep. Rock gem to prevent LO recoil and to steamroll through Gliscor, Slowbro, and other maggots.

@Terrakion

Alakazam (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I believe Alakazam is a nice check, but Kazam will have to use it's sash. If Terrakion attacks on the switch in, Kazam will survive with sash(or won't need sash against Close Combat) and KO with Psyshock. If Terrakion subs on switch in, Kazam breaks subs, survive Stone Edge with sash, KOes next turn or make the little puppy run.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
-Wish
-Iron Head
-Body Slam
-Protect

The usual specially defensive Jirachi can easily come in on any of 'kazam's attacks; the most it'll take is 31-37% from HP Fire. Rachi can easily heal up with Wish/Protect, paralyze 'kazam, and Iron Head it to death.

Chandelure (M) @ Chesto Berry Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 160 HP / 156 Def / 86 SAtk / 108 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Comes in on 3/4 of Jirachi's moves for nothing. Iron Head does 13.3% - 15.9%. So assuming that it comes in on SR, and Iron head, its still got 66% life before it starts Calm Minding, after that simply rest off the damage and proceed to fire off +6 Flamethrowers/Shadow Balls. EV's outpace SpD jirachi by 1 point meaning Iron Head Flinch shenanigans won't happen either, rest is split between HP/Def/SpA.

tyranitar@choice band
adamant sandstream
252 hp 252 Atk 4 sp. def
-pursuit
-crunch
-stone edge
-superpower

can come into ANY of chandelure's moves, (flamethrower does shit, so does shadow ball with the sandstorm special defense buff. can pursuit on the switch or crunch for the kill. overall powerful).

please. no more damn terrakions. or conkeldurr.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
236 HP/76 Def/138 SpDef/60 Spe
Impish

-Spore
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Seed Bomb

Superpower, with max damage roll, leaves this Breloom with just enough to survive Stealth Rock and 2 turns of Sandstream, activating Toxic Orb and starting to heal. The best thing TTar can do is use Stone Edge and bank on that high-crit rate. Drain Punch will KO TTar and heal Breloom for a large chunk of its health, Spore makes sure that it isn't completely useless if the opponent switches to a Ghost.

Xatu @Leftovers
Bold | 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe (there has got to be a better spread than this)
Ability: Magic Bounce
~U-turn
~Psychic/HP Flying if you want to be funny
~Featherdance
~Roost

U-turn and Roost aren't that needed, but the special attacking move and Featherdance counter Breloom along with Magic Bounce. If for some reason the Breloom hasn't been poisoned when it uses Spore (first turn out, Heal Bell shenanigans etc.) Magic Bounce puts it to sleep, but if Toxic Orb is activated, at least you won't be spored off the field. The attacking move is really just self-explanatory: super-effective STAB against an unboosted and weaker SDef. Psychic might not KO though, seeing as Xatu is pissweak and Breloom has some SDef invested, hence HP Flying. Does Xatu get Air Slash?

U mad celebi/gastorodon? (Rotom-W) @choice specs
Modest 252 spa 252 spe
Ablity: levitate
-Voltswitch
-Hidden power grass
-Hydro Pump
-Signal beam

xatu cant touch this and gets ohkoed in return.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Aramis (Virizion) @ Leftovers
EVs: 208 HP / 76 Def / 88 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Giga Drain

Rotom-W gets out-sped & walled by him. Reflect makes CB Scizor's U-Turn only a 4HKO not including Leftovers recovery. Taunt keeps Gliscor, Toxicroak, SD Scizor, & Special Walls some doing anything while Virizion just saps up from health or Blasts away. Heatran is also OHKO'd after SR & has a small chance to be OHKOd without them.
<3 this guy.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
@Virizion
Victini @ Fighting Gem Trait: Victory Star
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- V-create
- U-turn
- Fusion Bolt
- Brick Break

Focus Blast and Giga Drain both are NVE while Victini outspeeds and can unload a V-Create, which does 84.8-100% with a Reflect up. Fighting Gem lets Brick Break OHKO 252/0 TTar.

Aramis (Virizion) @ Leftovers
EVs: 208 HP / 76 Def / 88 SAtk / 136 Spd
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Giga Drain
Crobat@Leftovers
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
~Brave Bird
~Taunt
~Roost
~Super Fang

Crobat completely walls Virzion, thanks to its 4X resistance to both of its STABs. Giga Drain does 8.68% - 9.97% which is 27-42 hits to KO (with Leftovers). Focus Blast does 13.83% - 16.4%, 10-13 hits to KO (with Leftovers). In return Crobat outspeeds and hits with a Brave Bird that does 107.2% - 126.4% with reflect up. Other moves are filler. Taunt prevents things from setting up, roost is healing to make it harder to kill, and Super Fang takes 50% health from even the bulkiest enemies.

Edit-Ninja'd
@Virizion
Victini @ Fighting Gem Trait: Victory Star
- V-create
- U-turn
- Fusion Bolt
- Brick Break
Arcanine @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Crunch
~Flare Blitz
~Close Combat
~Morning Sun

Can take any attack that Victini throws at it, the heal up with Morning Sun if needed. Crunch deals 49.71% - 59.06% a very good chance to 2HKO while the strongest attack Victini can throw at it is V-Create which deals 33.54% - 39.44%, and lowers its defenses, making Crunch deal 74.85% - 88.3%.

Arcanine @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Crunch
~Flare Blitz
~Close Combat
~Morning Sun
Dragonite@Life Orb
Multiscale
252 Atk/252 Spa/4 Spe
Adamant
-Agility
-Outrage
-Draco Meteor
-Earthquake

You CC or Flare Blitz as I come in, take minimal damage and then Agility and tank your second attack and then it's sweeping time. The thing is, I KNOW someone's gonna use Skarm or 'Zong to counter this, but I'm just trying to liven up the thread with other sets.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe
Nature: Lonely
- Swords Dance
- Will-o-Wisp
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak

Good ol' sheddy. Obviously, it completely walls the proposed Dragonite set, and it can safely set up a Swords Dance without caring. With the right team support (the killing of Ttar, Scizor and Fire types, mainly), this thing can wall teams, and kill them. Focus Sash ensures that Sheddy fires off at least 1 attack after getting up to plus 2, with Shadow Sneak usually making that 2. It doesnt do that much damage (unboosted Shadow Sneak doing 22% max assuming no multiscale) but then again, it should have all the time in the world to get to +6 and clear the team without getting hit ever.

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SAtk / 68 SDef
- Blizzard
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Grass Knot

Hail makes sheddy die and WoW doesn't really matter much because Aboma has Special-based attacks.
Not a counter because Abomasnow takes 59%-70% from even an unboosted X-Scissor on the switch. Even though it'll kill Shedinja on the turn it switches in due to hail, it will be crippled (especially if rocks are on the field). This Abomasnow is not bulky of fast enough to survive after losing over half its health, and if there's one thing Abomasnow is supposed it to do it's survive so it can set up weather. Remember, to be a counter it needs to be able to counter the Pokemon WITHOUT becoming crippled.

Also I was totally going to post my Tangrowth which counters Shedinja handily but you ninja'd me so someone is going to have to counter your crappy Abomasnow instead :(

EDIT: Oh and a couple notes for people:

Some of you haven't been explaining your counters thoroughly. One line is NOT ENOUGH! Explain not only why it is a solid counter to the posted Pokemon, but also explain why you'd use that set normally anyway! This is a REQUIREMENT not a request.

Also, I notice a lot of repeats lately, though at least the sets themselves have been different. Please try to find new Pokemon instead of just using a different set people! You should only repeat a Pokemon if you really can't think of anything else, and in OU that's really uncommon since there are least 100 viable Pokemon for you to chose from!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)