SS OU Cosmic power + stored power clefable, utility celebi and bulky protect garchomp.

Garchomp (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 104 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Toxic

Garchomp is a key pokemon on this team with the toxic, protect, leftovers combo its able to stay healthy while setting up rocks and racking up poison damage.
After that earthquake is taken for stab and rough skin can punish opponents just for attacking.
With this set he's able to check a lot of pokemon like kartana, landorus, swampert and he's even able to take a few specs dragapult shadow balls.
But of course he's not without some downsides his lack of attacking investment and no coverage means he's never hitting that hard.
And often flying types can stop him cold if I've revealed the set although they still fear toxic except for corvinight who just walls him.
Skarmory (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Spikes
- Body Press
- Roost

Skarmory is a great physical wall no surprises there but he's really good at setting up spikes and making the opponent take uncomfortable chip.
Defog is just kinda there and I barely use it I'm most likely gonna switch it out for something but I'm not quite sure' perhaps brave bird.
Roost is borderline obligatory and body press is there for pushing even more damage on the opponent and can even catch unsuspecting heatran.
Rocky helmet is the real linchpin here with it he can effortlessly check opposing physical attackers such as buzzwole, urshifu, swampert, kartana, garchomp and many more.
Its u turn stopping capabilities is one of its best selling points as nothing makes an opponent regret there choice more than doing 4% for 16%.

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Teleport
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Light screen

Slowing is one of the best pokemon in there tier right now and this set is extremely consistent on a game to game basis.
Max spdef is standard on this pokemon as is teleport scald slack off and regenerator.
Even with just this set without an item or a fourth move it a major threat but of course it can use an item an a fourth move making it even better.
I chose leftovers as its item nothing shocking there but for its last move I chose light screen' now this may seem a bit odd but with this even against extremely powerful moves like dragapult specs shadow ball it can switch in light screen up and regenerate the health off as it switches out.
Against anything that is stupidly strong it takes it with ease so other moms can switch in more freely and spread even more passive damage or just attack.
I originally ran light screen as a gimmick but its legitimately amazing and far better than I expected.
Now like any pokemon it has its flaws its especially prone to u turn even from thing like dragapult which don't invest in attack and its physical frailty in general has proved a liability but its still amazing.

Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Mystical Fire
- Toxic

Moltres is a very curios pokemon with several unique attributes its a very good sponge to alot of things and can just be annoying to kill.
Defog is taken for obvious reasons the same for roost mystic fire is often an amazing move with it weakening special attacks the opponent is often left attacking for nothing and toxic is just incredible all the way around.
Flame body is yet another thing that makes it so incredible good with a 30% chance of burn for just soaking a hit it amazing.
But moltres like all pokemon is not without some flaws if it gets knocked off it toast and toxic can be especially annoying since it doesn't heal passively but with good play and the correct team support is quite deSoft-Boiled

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 72 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Leaf Blade

Despite being in NU at the moment celebi is still quite good in my opinion it just doesn't seem to die with recover natural cure heal bell it very resilient.
Heal bell is its best move by far being able to save a paralyzed moltres or poisoned slowing is incredible utility in one move.
Thunder wave is similarly excellent with the opponent being slowed and occasionally not moving that leads to alot of very good things.
If anyone is wondering why I chose leaf blade over gigs drain or another move its pretty much because I didn't wanna get swept by calm mind tapu fini.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 20 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

This is by far the most threatening pokemon on the team this set is mostly slept on but I'm here to show its true devastating potential.
I chose a spread that could always live specs dragapult's shadow ball twice and just used the leftover evs for defense.
The moveset is nothing you wouldn't expect when hearing this set so ill go over its checks and where it sets up.
It can actually set up on a surprising amount of pokemon basically unless there hitting it really strong it can setup heal and then bulldoze the opponents team.
One thing it has over other sweepers is that a hardly runs an actually sweeping set and its illusion isn't busted as soon as it switches in either so it can often sweep via sheer surprise factor.
The only problem is that it often get halted by steel types so I gonna experiment with a fire move over moonblast.
As for checks excadrill is a good one if it switching in before its fully setup ferrothorn can tank some hit but can heal and urshifu rapid strike can bust through the boost but still doesn't ohko and cannot switch in at all.
After th all most people just fish for crits which sometimes works but even if it does the opposing team is left so battered they can't holdout for long.

Well that's about it if you can't tell I'm very proud of this team and I hope y'all can help me make it the best it can be' and with that being said have a good day.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hello there, I’m here to rate your team and give you some advices in order to improve it.

Looking at the team you seem pretty new to SS OU. This team has some great ideas, but also big flaws and you may struggle to beat some of the tier top threats. Indeed, most of your mons are very passive and can’t really threaten most defensive staples of the tier. Moreover, you are using some sort of stack hazards combo with both Garchomp :garchomp: and Skarmory :skarmory: in a team not very weak to hazards. Thus, I don’t think you need to have two defoggers here (and I think you don’t even need one). Instead, you want to have some hard hitting wallbreakers who can force switchs and abuse the Spikes laid by Skarmory. Moltres :moltres: feel like a redundant choice here as it doesn’t complete well the Skarmory :skarmory: + Slowking :slowking: duo. Same goes for Celebi :celebi: which is not great in OU and doesn’t bring anything really interesting here. As for Clefable :clefable:, a Cosmic Power set can work but I feel that it is just worse than a Calm Mind variant as even if Stored Power hits pretty hard with 12 boosts, you’re still walled by a lot of common Clefable answers like Corviknight :corviknight:, Slowking :slowking:, Blissey :blissey:… and you may just get pp stalled. Calm Mind doesn’t boost your Defense but allows you to hit way harder and feels better to sweep late game.

I think some key changes may help correcting this team main defaults and I will propose changes to make it a kind of stack hazards balance, keeping that idea of a setup sweeper Clefable. Let’s dive into the changes:

Major changes

:celebi: -> :bisharp:: As I said it, Celebi is not great overall, and bring nothing interesting here. Thus, I think you can use this slot for a strong hazards abuser and Bisharp :bisharp: seems perfect for this. I’m especially thinking about Choice Band Bisharp who can come to get a boost on Defog, use Knock Off to remove opposing Heavy Duty Boots, and use Assurance with Stealth Rock or Spikes to beat some of its usual switch-ins like Corviknight :corviknight: and Toxapex :toxapex:. Here is the set:

bisharp.gif

Bisharp @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Assurance

:moltres: -> :dragapult:: Moltres is not a great choice here as Skarmory :skarmory: can already deal with Rillaboom :rillaboom: and Kartana :kartana: and Slowking :slowking: can serve as an efficient special wall. Thus, I would also advice you to use another offensive Pokemon here to take benefit from your hazards. Dragapult :dragapult: could be a great choice here, bringing a lot of Speed and a decent damage output. It also has the ability to pivot with U-turn and force hazards damage on the opposing team. Here is the classic Choice Specs set that you could use:

dragapult.gif

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Minor changes

:garchomp:: Garchomp as your rock setter is a great choice. It also give a good answer to Zeraora :zeraora: as this Pokemon can pressure both Slowking :slowking: and Skarmory :skarmory: while ignoring your hazards with its boots. However, I think a more offensive set would fit better here to avoid letting most defoggers come and beat you one vs one for free. Thus, I think you can try a Mixed set with Life Orb and Fire Blast to threaten Corviknight. The SpA EVs are here to 2HKO physically defensive Corviknight :corviknight:. Here is the set I’m thinking of:

garchomp.gif

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance / Draco Meteor

:skarmory:: Not much to change here, your set is fine and I just think you shouldn’t use Defog in this kind of stack hazard team. You can replace it by Whirlwind to force hazards damage or Iron Defense to beat some Swords Dance users. Here is the set:

skarmory.gif

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind / Iron Defense
- Body Press

:slowking:: Slowking is fine here too, and pairs well with Skarmory :skarmory:. However, you rather have Heavy Duty Boots on him to come more easily on hazards especially now as you won’t remove them. Also, I’m really unsure about the utility of Light Screen here, and Future Sigh is a way better option to make Bisharp :bisharp: or Dragapult :dragapult: even more threatening against bulkier teams. Here is the set with these two changes:

slowking.gif

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Teleport

:clefable:: I already talked a bit about Clefable in the intro, but yeah you rather use Calm Mind than Cosmic Power if you want to be really threatening. Thunder is a good option to beat Toxapex :toxapex: and Corviknight :corviknight: which woulb be annoying otherwise. Thunder Wave could be used to slow down things for Bisharp :bisharp: and to cripple some switch-ins. I also added some SpD EVs to avoid being 2HKO by Specs Dragapult :dragapult: and Tapu Koko :tapu koko: as your team is pretty weak to them otherwise. Here is the set:

clefable.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder / Thunder Wave

And here is the past of the new version of the team with all these changes. Feel free to try it out:

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Body Press

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Teleport

Bisharp @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Assurance

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Hope this was helpful, have a nice day!

Last edited:
I wanna start by saying thank you for taking time out of your day to help improve my team.

https://pokepast.es/f8b59d324368ecb1

While I tested out your proposed team I didn't like playing it much at all but I saw great potential with your ideas.
I decided to keep my original garchomp set just adding some speed for things such as heatran as I feel one of garchomp's biggest draws in comparison to other pseudo legends or dragons is his relatively good bulk and stealth rock resistance and with this set I can continually set up rocks and rack up poison damage.
Although this set is very passive so I'm gonna try experimenting with another attack probably a rock move.

Like you said Skarmory here doesn't require a big change but I do really dislike spdef Skarmory since without leftovers it often fails to withstand many physical attacks without using roost every single turn which is way too exploitable.
Also I never actually find spdef to help that much since with slowking's incredible bulk he's often the better choice for a switch in.
He does have an incredible defensive typing making him take many special moves a breeze but the lack of physical bulk can often cost me a game and its usually just better to avoid magnezone rather than whirlwinding it out.

The only notable thing I/we did to slowking was make him slower cause I didn't think when building his set and use future sight.
While I did enjoy light screen future sight is just too easy to use and too good with bisharp.

Dragapult was one of your best suggestions because as you said he's very good at spikes abusing and Wall breaking with specs.
Not much more to say other than that he's just incredibly good.

Bisharp on the other hand is perhaps the single best thing you recommended.
He is way better than I ever would've guessed with incredible wall breaking ability and spikes abuse while crippling switch ins like mandabuzz with knock off.
And of course punishing defog attempts with usually a ko.

For this clefable set I opted to use calm mind instead of cosmic power since the attack buff is much appreciated in order to actually bust through things.
Although using cosmic power instead of calm mind is feasible and maybe even a bit more consistent if supported correctly I feel calm mind's all important power buff means there aren't any horrible pp stall wars or loses against other boosting threats such as volcarona.
I experimented a lot when choosing the clefable sweeper set like using both cosmic power and calm mind although that proved gimmicky because he would never have enough coverage or healing.
Another thing I tried was curse but unfortunately it's locked to a hidden ability and incompatible with soft boiled so no breakthrough there.

Well that's all I got so thank you again and have a good day.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I wanna start by saying thank you for taking time out of your day to help improve my team.

https://pokepast.es/f8b59d324368ecb1

While I tested out your proposed team I didn't like playing it much at all but I saw great potential with your ideas.
I decided to keep my original garchomp set just adding some speed for things such as heatran as I feel one of garchomp's biggest draws in comparison to other pseudo legends or dragons is his relatively good bulk and stealth rock resistance and with this set I can continually set up rocks and rack up poison damage.
Although this set is very passive so I'm gonna try experimenting with another attack probably a rock move.

Like you said Skarmory here doesn't require a big change but I do really dislike spdef Skarmory since without leftovers it often fails to withstand many physical attacks without using roost every single turn which is way too exploitable.
Also I never actually find spdef to help that much since with slowking's incredible bulk he's often the better choice for a switch in.
He does have an incredible defensive typing making him take many special moves a breeze but the lack of physical bulk can often cost me a game and its usually just better to avoid magnezone rather than whirlwinding it out.

The only notable thing I/we did to slowking was make him slower cause I didn't think when building his set and use future sight.
While I did enjoy light screen future sight is just too easy to use and too good with bisharp.

Dragapult was one of your best suggestions because as you said he's very good at spikes abusing and Wall breaking with specs.
Not much more to say other than that he's just incredibly good.

Bisharp on the other hand is perhaps the single best thing you recommended.
He is way better than I ever would've guessed with incredible wall breaking ability and spikes abuse while crippling switch ins like mandabuzz with knock off.
And of course punishing defog attempts with usually a ko.

For this clefable set I opted to use calm mind instead of cosmic power since the attack buff is much appreciated in order to actually bust through things.
Although using cosmic power instead of calm mind is feasible and maybe even a bit more consistent if supported correctly I feel calm mind's all important power buff means there aren't any horrible pp stall wars or loses against other boosting threats such as volcarona.
I experimented a lot when choosing the clefable sweeper set like using both cosmic power and calm mind although that proved gimmicky because he would never have enough coverage or healing.
Another thing I tried was curse but unfortunately it's locked to a hidden ability and incompatible with soft boiled so no breakthrough there.

Well that's all I got so thank you again and have a good day.
Hey, thank you for the feedback, glad you've tested the changes.

To go quickly over what you said, for Skarmory :skarmory: the Spe Def invest is a typo, physically defensive Skarmory is of course way better here and I just messed up while putting the EV spread, sorry for that, I will updated the rate with the proper spread.

For Garchomp :garchomp:, I think a more defensive one is fine and may help more against Zeraora :zeraora: and Heatran :heatran: especially if you have other ways to pressure Pokemon like Corviknight :corviknight:.

As for Clefable :clefable:, even if having Cosmic Power with Calm Mind can help against some physical attackers, I think using Thunder (or even Thunderbolt if you're afraid to miss) is still better for one main reason: you are able to 1v1 very common Clefable switch-ins like Toxapex :toxapex: and Corviknight :corviknight: (which is something that helps Bisharp :bisharp: a lot and that Stored Power wasn't able to do because most Toxapex have Haze). I feel like Calm Mind + Cosmic Power won't work often as it is hard to set up and gets shutdown by some defensive staples in the tier.

Anyway, thank you again for taking the time to read my rate, have a nice day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)