Cores in RU

In competitive Pokemon cores can essentially be defined as two or more Pokemon that match up well as they both can take on each others weaknesses with relative ease. And in RU there are a few obvious ones that everyone has encountered numerous times such as Steelix and Slowking or Tangrowth and Slowking. Cores are what makes a team so stable and keeps it all together, but these are only two examples and this is where you come in!

Think, who are some of your favorite Pokemon are RU.

Who pairs well with them.

Post your cores and how and why they are so effective in the current metagame!

Note: Don't forget Nidoqueen and Escavalier dropped into RU.

Here's my contribution

Drapion (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Crunch
- Whirlwind

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off
- Surf

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Weaknesses

One of most successful and favorite cores, I love the combination of Drapion, Slowking and Spiritomb. Firstly Spiritomb and Drapion boast great defenses while not having barely any weaknesses while these two are great at taking each of Slowkings weaknesses. Drapion is there so he can easily take those annoying grass moves for Slowking while still being able to phaze or kill off the opponent. Drapion also checks the powerful ghost types in RU with the 252HP/252SDef spread which would otherwise spell doom for any team. Spiritomb is there to stop the various physical attackers in RU such as Hitmonlee and Bouffalant while still having recovery and the option to quickly become a special wall with a hard hitting base 120 power Dark Pulse because of STAB. These two however have trouble with Entei and hard hitting special attackers like Moltres and Omastar but Slowking can easily wall these pokemon for days. The EVs on the Slowking are the standard ones with 252HP/144Def/112SDef to take some physical moves but I have changed up the moves. Surf is there to deal consistent damage over scald and will have a lot easily time taking down pokemon that take neutral damage from it. Flamethrower is there over Fireblast due to the accuracy and it can easily decimate things like ferroseed and the new Escavalier. With the option of surf over scald it was obvious to choose toxic which also allows me to defeat feraligatr if I can toxic it on the SD and proceed to slack off stall or switch to a viable counter.

Each core has it weaknesses and this one has a few as normal.

#1 Galvantula- These spiders are quite common and can easily kill Slowking and Drapion can't take more than one life orb thunder and the same applies to Spiritomb.

#2 Nidoqueen- The drop of Nidoqueen is quite unfortunate as combo of Tbolt and Stab Earth Power destroys this core with Spiritomb only taking one Earthpower before getting KO'd next turn while it can't touch Nidoqueen with dark pulse until it has boosted. Drapion is OHKO and Slowking is 2HKO but is too slow to get off a surf before fainting.

#3 Sawsbuck- SD + Hornleech and Nature Power = Death, no more to say

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)