Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2012

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi. CES is on. Let's post stuff about really cool shit that may or may not come out in the near future itt.

Follow along here: http://www.theverge.com/ces

Don't link to gizmodo or engadget they are terrible websites written for terrible people.

Schedule of Conferences (in PST)

I cannot wait for Nokia and Microsoft's conferences :) Firestorm needs a new phone.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Haven't kept up with tech for the longest time, but will they be announcing Ivy Bridge, or is that still next year/ the year after?

Looking forward to Microsoft's event.

Haven't kept up with tech for the longest time, but will they be announcing Ivy Bridge, or is that still next year/ the year after?

Looking forward to Microsoft's event.
Considering it'll be Microsoft's last event at CES, hopefully they'll have something interesting in store. As Windows 8 is looking kinda meh, that metro stuff especially seems...well, pointless unless you have a touchscreen.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I remember seeing on MacRumours that Ivy Bridge for laptops is due around April? So I would expect Intel would have info on them now if they haven't already released it.

So I'm not that big of a hardware guy, what's the whole reason this Ivy Bridge thing is better than a Sandy Bridge thing? Guessing it's just the newer chip model or whatever?

Also, sure a lot of tablets going around...won't lie, I do have one, but it was from that HP Touchpad firesale, so only spent $99 on it XD

What I don't get exactly is why you'd have a quad-core processor in a tablet (forgot what upcoming one it was), yet only have it clocked to 1.3...

Also, 3d printers look like such fun toys...shame they cost thousands of dollars.

So I'm not that big of a hardware guy, what's the whole reason this Ivy Bridge thing is better than a Sandy Bridge thing? Guessing it's just the newer chip model or whatever?

Also, sure a lot of tablets going around...won't lie, I do have one, but it was from that HP Touchpad firesale, so only spent $99 on it XD

What I don't get exactly is why you'd have a quad-core processor in a tablet (forgot what upcoming one it was), yet only have it clocked to 1.3...

Also, 3d printers look like such fun toys...shame they cost thousands of dollars.
ivy bridge is a die shrink of sandy bridge, it's not really that huge a deal

Firestorm

I had an HP TouchPad but wasn't a big fan of it so sold it and bought a BlackBerry PlayBook instead. Was about the same price for both.

Friggin' Nokia not giving a release date. Ugh. Looks a little worse than the 800 aesthetically but still so nice:

I had an HP TouchPad but wasn't a big fan of it so sold it and bought a BlackBerry PlayBook instead. Was about the same price for both.

Friggin' Nokia not giving a release date. Ugh. Looks a little worse than the 800 aesthetically but still so nice:

Playbooks are especially nice looking now, what like $299 for any version, including the 64gb one? Not a bad deal at all.

I dunno, I haven't messed with Android on anything besides my brother's Evo briefly, but it sounds like it's kind of a crapshoot as to which version you get, along with app compatibility and other weird things; just sounds disjointed to me. But I do like the TP's webOS, once those updates fixed the major problems it run pretty nicely I thought. Not iOS obviously, but yeah...

Firestorm

I got the 32GB PlayBook for $190+tax or so. The Nokia Lumia 900 runs on Windows Phone 7, not Android... Android does not look like that. Neither does the PlayBook. It runs BlackBerry Tablet OS.

I got the 32GB PlayBook for $190+tax or so. The Nokia Lumia 900 runs on Windows Phone 7, not Android... Android does not look like that. Neither does the PlayBook. It runs BlackBerry Tablet OS.
Mmm, boy did I get my tablets mixed up lol, thought Blackberry ran Android...oh well. Wonder if its app store is as barren as the TP's...

And yeah, I noticed the Nokia was running Windows (didn't refer to it in my last post), but meh...I never liked Windows Phone when I did the in-store demo. Also, wouldn't it be better to wait for some Windows 8 version with the whole metro deal? Other than that, it does look like a fairly slick phone, nice design for sure.

Well Day 2 now, finally getting to see what Razer products are out. Their tablet concept is intriguing, I won't lie, even if I don't think they'll be able to pull off all the stuff they're saying about it (not to mention a potential $1k price tag is ill fitting considering you can make a decent gaming rig for that price).

Their newest Naga, the Hex, also looks kinda interesting; granted it doesn't have the thumb dialpad of 12 buttons for 17 total, but obviously not all games need that many (and many, including myself, don't even use all 12 of those buttons on the side anyways since 10-12 are a pain to hit). So yeah...if my current Naga ever dies, the Naga Hex sure looks interesting with the 6 buttons lying around the thumb and a total of 11.

And yeah, I noticed the Nokia was running Windows (didn't refer to it in my last post), but meh...I never liked Windows Phone when I did the in-store demo. Also, wouldn't it be better to wait for some Windows 8 version with the whole metro deal? Other than that, it does look like a fairly slick phone, nice design for sure.
Have you tried WP7.5, as opposed to just WP7? (Hopefully you're not talking about Windows Mobile or whatever, that was terrible)
I have a Lumia 800 and it is absolutely fantastic. I mean, really. Using it is super enjoyable.

Also, it is weird to see you'd want to wait for WP8 "for the metro deal" since WP7 was actually where Metro was inaugurated. Metro is the name of the clean, tile-based interface. So it is already used in every phone running WP7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)