[COMPLETED] Heracross

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Heracross has an amazing Mega Evolution that makes him an equally amazing wallbreaker.</li>
<li>Gigantic base 185 Attack when Mega-Evolved.</li>
<li>Swords Dance to boost Attack even higher.</li>
<li>Makes great use of Skill Link with a buff to Pin Missle, Bullet Seed, and Rock Blast.</li>
<li>Great abilities all around. Moxie and Guts are amazing, and Skill Link helps out later on, so Heracross can afford to pick its moment when choosing when to Mega Evolve.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Sadly not very fast in either form-its Speed even goes down to 75 when Mega Evolved.</li>
<li>Its typing is not that amazing defensively, and also have a lot of downfalls offensively.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Offensive<br />
move 1: Close Combat<br />
move 2: Pin Missile<br />
move 3: Rock Blast<br />
move 4: Swords Dance / Earthquake / Sleep Talk</p>
ability: Guts / Moxie<br />
item: Heracronite<br />
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Jolly / Adamant</p>

<p>Heracross has had its share of difficulties in recent generations, not least due to its lower speed, shallower movepool, and wider array of weaknesses than other Fighting-Types. However, Heracross was given a lifeline in late BW through the ability Moxie, which complemented its strong moves and allowed Heracross to tear apart weakened teams, parituclary in UU. But this generation, Heracross got the biggest buff it has ever received, in the form of a Mega Evolution. This partnered with its additional new ability, Skill Link, allows Heracross to be better than ever offensively. It has everything it needs to succeed and become a successful bulky sweeper in the OU metagame. Heracross can now leave the days of using very inaccurate moves like Megahorn and Stone Edge behind and instead opt for using much stronger and more accurate options, thanks to Skill Link. While Close Combat has stayed a staple, everything else has had a huge overhaul. Pin Missile is stronger and more accurate than Megahorn, and is amazingly powerful with STAB and its 125 base power. Rock Blast is an additional coverage move which helps against otherwise complete counters to this set like Togekiss, Gengar, and Dragonite. The final moveslot has multiple options. Swords Dance turns Heracross into a powerful, bulky setup sweeper, which can demolish defensive teams completely, while Sleep Talk gives it a way to abuse Guts should you choose that ability over Moxie and not have Mega Evolved yet, or act as a great counter to Breloom, and in general making it a great choice for switching into sleep-inducing moves. Earthquake is also a very worthwhile option, giving it a way to actually defeat Aegislash, an otherwise full stop to Heracross. The initial choice between Moxie and Guts on Heracross can be a very important one. Heracross still has a good amount of strength before it evolves into its Mega Evolution, which can give it the opportunity to get an early KO for an Attack boost, or if it needs to take status with Guts, which basically gets rid of the need to Mega Evolve.<p>

<p>If not using Earthquake, Heracross gets walled completely by Aegislash. Pokemon like Hippowdon and bulky Rotom-W can defeat Aegislash, and provide both hazards or momentum for Heracross. Rotom-W lures in bulky Grass-Types and gives Heracross an easy way to come in with Volt Switch, while Hippowdon sets up Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is very important so that Heracross's common checks are worn down such as Dragonite, Bulkier Pokemon like Garchomp and Zygarde can also take a boosted Shadow Sneak and return the favor with a STAB Earthquake.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Heracross is strong enough to break through a majority of the defensive switch-ins that it will face, often being able to hit them hard enough to keep them on their toes. However, Heracross however is stopped cold by Toxic Orb Gliscor, whom it can't hurt at all unless it manages to hit Gliscor with a boosted Rock Blast. If Heracross does not run Earthquake in the final slot, then it can be beaten by Aegislash very handily, who doesn't care what you throw at it otherwise. Overall, Heracross is most likely going to be revenge killed or picked off by faster threats that carry super effective moves, which are unfortunately not uncommon, given its number of weaknesses. Good examples of this are Talonflame, Dragonite, Charizard, Volcarona, Infernape, and Alakazam. Heracross also can be crippled by status if it lacks Guts, especially Will-O-Wisp, which means that it loses the majority of its raw hitting power.</p>

Last edited:

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Um, can you change the ability to Skill Link, since thats the ability your using. Mention Moxie / Guts (and the pros and cons etc), in the set write up. Skill Link gets the ability slot because as the analysis is written, its purely for Mega Heracross, ergo, its Mega ability gets the main mention, followed by the other abilities.

Nothing to say otherwise

QC APPROVED 1/3

Due to Hera derp Speed, wouldn't it be good to also put an alternate EV Repartition with just enough speed to outspeed things like 8 EV Speed tran or others keys Mons ? That dude has a great bulk to everything that isn't Fire/Flying/Fairy (The latter isn't used that much, so...), it would be sad not to take advantage of it.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Heracross has an amazing Mega Evolution that makes him an equally amazing wallbreaker.</li> [shouldn't really repeat adjectives like that, if you don't want to add "equally" then change one or the other to something else]
<li>Gigantic base 185 Attack when Mega Evolved.</li>
<li>In general quite strong, not easily walled.</li> [this seems somewhat redundant]
<li>Swords Dance to boost Attack even higher.</li>
<li>Makes great use of Skill Link with a buff to basically all moves completely Pin Missile, Bullet Seed, and Rock Blast.</li> [delete as appropriate. He really doesn't have that many moves that can benefit from Skill Link]
<li>Great abilities all around.(comma) ,(remove) Moxie and Guts are amazing, and Skill Link helps out later on, very opportunistic so Heracross can afford to pick its moment when choosing when to Mega Evolve.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Sadly not very fast in either form—its Speed ,(comma) speed even goes down to 75 when Mega Evolved.</li>
<li>Its typing is not Not that amazing typing defensively, and also has does have a lot of downfalls offensively.</li>
</ul>

[Mega Evolution Recommendations and Play]

<p>Heracross @ Heracronite<br />
Ability: Skill Link<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe<br />
Jolly / Adamant Nature<br />
- Close Combat<br />
- Pin Missile<br />
- Rock Blast<br />
- Swords Dance / Earthquake / Sleep Talk</p>

<p>Heracross has always been seen as the "average fighting type" in the OU metagame Heracross has had its share of difficulties in recent generations, not least due to it's slower speed its lower Speed, shallower movepool, and wider array of weaknesses to expose than other Fighting-types [I'm pretty sure that's not even vaguely true, it was pretty highly regarded in GSC, ADV, and early DP OU]. However, Heracross however got blessed multiple times was given a lifeline in the past Generation with late BW through the ability Moxie,(comma) which allowed it to use complemented its strong moves and allowed Heracross to tear apart weakened teams, particularly in UU and later sweep them. But this Generation generation,(comma) Heracross got the biggest buff it has ever received, in the form of a mega evolution Mega Evolution [I'd personally say Close Combat was bigger, but oh well]. This partnered with its additional new Ability ability,(comma) Skill Link,(comma) allow allows Heracross to be better than ever offensively than ever. It has everything it needs to succeed and become a successful bulky sweeper in the OU metagame [except Speed...]. Heracross can now leave the days of using very inaccurate moves like Megahorn and Stone Edge behind and instead opt out for using much stronger and more accurate options,(comma) thanks to Skill Link. While Close Combat has stayed a staple, everything else has had a huge overall overhaul. Pin Missile is stronger and more accurate than Megahorn, and is amazingly powerful with STAB and its 125 base power. Rock Blast is an additional coverage move which helps against otherwise complete counters to this set like Togekiss, Gengar, and Dragonite. The final moveslot has multiple options going for it. For starters, Swords Dance for starters turns Heracross into a powerful,(comma) bulky setup sweeper,(comma) which can demolish defensive teams completely, while Sleep Talk gives it a way to abuse Guts should you choose the ability before hand that ability over Moxie and not have Mega Evolved yet, or act as a great counter to Breloom, and in general giving it the ability to become making it a great choice for switching into sleep-inducing moves. Earthquake is also a very worthwhile option, giving it a way to actually defeat Aegislash, an otherwise full stop to Heracross. The initial choice between Moxie and Guts on Heracross can be a very important one. Heracross still has a good amount of strength before it evolves in its mega form into its Mega Evolution, which can give it the opportunity to get an early KO for an attack Attack boost, or if it needs to take status with Guts, which basically gets rid of the need to Mega Evolve.<p></p>

<p>If not using Earthquake, Heracross gets walled completely by Aegislash. Pokemon like Hippowdon and bulky Rotom-W can defeat Aegislash, and provide either hazards or momentum for Heracross [either or? Why not both? And what kind of momentum are we talking about here? Please elaborate]. Bulkier Pokemon like Garchomp and Zygarde can also take a boosted Shadow Sneak and return the favor with a STAB Earthquake.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Heracross is strong enough to break through a majority of the defensive switch-ins switches that it will face, often being able to hit them hard enough to keep them on their toes. However, Heracross however is stopped cold badly by Toxic Orb Gliscor, who Heracross whom it can't hurt at all unless it manages to hit it Gliscor with a boosted Rock Blast. Depending on what moves it runs If Heracross does not run Earthquake in the final slot, Heracross then it can be beaten by Aegislash very handily, who doesn't care what you throw at it otherwise unless you have Earthquake. Overall,(comma) Heracross is most likely going to be revenged revenge killed or picked off by faster threats that carry super effective moves, which are unfortunately not uncommon, given that can exploit its number of weaknesses. Good examples of this are Talonflame, Dragonite, Charizard, Volcorona Volcarona, Infernape, or Alakazam and Alakazam. Heracross also can be crippled by status if it lacks Guts, especially Will-O-Wisp,(comma) due to its obvious lack of Guts which means that it loses the majority of its hard raw hitting power.</p>

gp 1/1

Sry for typing in completed analysis, especially when I'm not QC member, but I find one thing somewhat strange.

I realize Heracross if one of those Pokemon which gained megaevolution, but why there are no posted sets for normal Heracross, while it has some advantages over mega form like:

a) Higher base speed
b) ability to carry items like Choice Scarf (still good revenge killer which deals good damage thanks to high power of moves like Close Combat or Megahorn). Talonflame is a bit of a problem, but you may always run checks for it or just KO on switch with prediction with Stone Edge. Choice Band is totally viable as well, hitting harder than megaform and even if it locks you in on one move, with good prediction totally fine set.
c) Guts + Swords Dance normal Heracross hits harder than MegaHeracross with SD, while also having higher speed (if you are ready to take residual damage from flame orb and support it). Or running Guts + 3 attacks set is fine as well, as it also hits harder than Mega.

Sry for being late with this post, but I think this is something important to say.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Regular Heracross doesn't have any regular sets for two reasons:

1. Choiced sets are not good with Aegislash, Azumarill, and Mega Gengar everywhere. You definitely don't want to give a free switch-in to those Pokemon which means that, unfortunately, choiced Heracross will rarely find time to use its STABs.
2. SD sets are better done by Mega Heracross. Although regular Heracross does have a bit higher Speed and Guts, Mega Heracross outright OHKOes most WoW users (Rotom-W and Trevenant), while also being a great switch-in to Pokemon such as Excadrill and being almost impossible to switch-in even before it uses SD.

That said, i could see SD Heracross being viable if your team already is using a MEvo, so maybe it would be good to make a set for it. Thoughts QC team?

i think mega heracross should have a bulk up set he does indeed have the bulk to do it, been using one and its preety good, and i feel it works much better than running full speed on a base 75 speed pokemon imo.

What about Bullet Seed in set recommend or the fact it requires some support due to it's speed like Sticky Web.

I think there should be a mention that Scolipede is a great partner for Mega Heracross because he can pass speed boosts and SDs to Mega Heracross, so the speed issue doesn't matter and so Mega Heracross doesn't need to spend one of his move slots for SD himself.

Someone once used Megahorn on its Mega-form. At first I wasn't sure what they were thinking, but then I thought, maybe it's in case they hold off on Mega-evolving (due to the Speed drop), since Pin Missile would most likely be weaker than Megahorn. Just throwing it out there as an option.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With Mega Gengar banned I was curious if the stance on Choice sets for Heracross is the same. Aegislash is slightly irrelevant since Heracross often carries Night Slash for situations like that, though I do agree it is a hamper to Choice sets (or hell run Earthquake). Fair(y) enough on Azumarill at least.

No consideration for using SubPunch? Not much would want to stomach a STAB 150 power move coming from 515 attack. No bulky SubBulkUp either puzzles me too because Mega Heracross has great defenses. I also think Bullet Seed needs a slash in move slot 4 to hit Rotom-Wash, Gastrodon, and Hippowdon extremely hard. Does anyone else agree?

No consideration for using SubPunch? Not much would want to stomach a STAB 150 power move coming from 515 attack. No bulky SubBulkUp either puzzles me too because Mega Heracross has great defenses. I also think Bullet Seed needs a slash in move slot 4 to hit Rotom-Wash, Gastrodon, and Hippowdon extremely hard. Does anyone else agree?
Gen 4 TM.

No answer for Mega Venusaur either as a counter.
He just Synthesizes whatever damage you can do with Pin Missile while poisoning you.

Gen 4 TM.
Oh, well, I only play pokebank OU. I forgot they only make sets with current moves, right?

No answer for Mega Venusaur either as a counter.
He just Synthesizes whatever damage you can do with Pin Missile while poisoning you.
Well, he is a tough tank, isn't he? No balanced pokemon is be able to stomp on everything, if they were, there would be no real reason for teammates. To my understanding, a SubPunch set on Mega Hera is to punch holes in heavy offensive teams that don't have much defense. Even if the Focus Punch is resisted it's still 113 power from 515 attack.

Last edited:
Well, he is a tough tank, isn't he? No balanced pokemon is be able to stomp on everything, if they were, there would be no real reason for teammates. To my understanding, a SubPunch set on Mega Hera is to punch holes in heavy offensive teams that don't have much defense. Even if the Focus Punch is resisted it's still 113 power from 515 attack.
Absolutely. Just mentioning that Venusaur would be a good check... Although he isn't weak to much anyway. haha
One just totally mashed my MHera last night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)