Competitive Pokemon on Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Lately I've really been wanting to contribute to Smogon in any way possible and I have a great idea for an article that I would happily write.
First a little background about me because it's somewhat relevant to the topic.
I've been battling competitively with Smogon for about 3 years now and have become a top of the ladder player since late last generation and continue to nest comfortably in the top 100 on the ladder. But on the forums I've been mostly a lurker until very recently.
About, I'd say just 5 months ago, I discovered the plethora of Pokemon X/Y Facebook groups that had been exploding with popularity at the time due to the mass influx of players new to the competitive scene as of the release of X/Y. As I began to tread around these groups I learned a couple relevant things about them:

1. The vast majority of the members had already self educated themselves on Natures, EVs, IVs, and other such mechanics essential to getting into competitive, despite many of them being brand new to Pokemon at all or some had returned as adults after only playing the first couple generations in their childhoods.
That doesn't seem like a big deal to us here at Smogon University, but it kind of is. Think about a couple generations ago. The vast majority of the Pokemon fanbase were completely oblivious to all the hidden mechanics in competitive play and even some who were aware simply didn't care.
Now, the balance is starting to shift. Keep in mind, these Facebook groups were not intentionally catered for a competitive audience. The group's names are not "Competitive Pokemon X/Y MLG" or anything like that. These are groups meant for a general Pokemon fan audience, and they're absolutely FLOODED with trade posts making reference to certain IVs and Nature and battle posts and even tournaments held citing Smogon and VGC rules. Most do use custom rules though.

2. Many members are using these Facebook communities as an alternative to online forums for competitive battling such as Smogon and Nuggetbridge. This is the point I find especially interesting.
I'll relate this back to me for a second. On Smogon I consider myself just above average in terms of battling. But in the Facebook community it became apparent pretty much immediately that I was a giant among men. Of course this seemed appealing to me and I quickly gained access to the administrations of several large groups (ironically, via mentoring admins).

So as one of the few people I believe so closely tied to both the Facebook Pokemon scene and Smogon University I really want to explore the fascinating phenomenon behind these Facebook groups and the evolution of the competitive scene as we know it. We came from being an obscure minority on scattered Internet forums (one of them being what is now Smogon) to a dominating demographic across the most successful social media site currently.
And finally, discussion on a vision to bridge the gaps between the established competitive communities and the new, budding tribe-like groups on Facebook.
I have connections to several influential figures on the Facebook scene to provide unique perspectives regarding Smogon from an outside view and the similarities/contrasts to the Facebook scene via interview to support my topic, including Scott Norman, one of the pioneers of the Facebook Pokemon X/Y scene and creator of one of the largest general Pokemon groups on Facebook at over 20k members currently.
"Pokemon on the internet", I think we succeeded.

If you actually read all that and considered it thank you very much for your time.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
yea this is a very interesting perspective on the battling scene, and I would love to see something like this in The Smog. I'm wondering if you have any idea if you'd be willing to include some history or tie-in about the Smogon Facebook page at all? You're free to take any approach you want with the article, but I think describing the Facebook scene at large and including something about what Smogon could do to take advantage of this playerbase is interesting. I'm also interested in if there are any conflicts that arise from people knowing only about Serebii or Marriland and their view on Smogon, if they still view Smogon as this big dictatorship/bully or if it's been shifted at all. I'm kind of out of touch with the "general public" playerbase after I stopped playing Pokemon Battle Revolution and making videos on Youtube, I know I started as an anti-Smogon-ite and most of the Youtube playerbase was as well.

The Smog is nearly at its next release, so this would go on the one after that if the idea is approved by the staff

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
yea this is a very interesting perspective on the battling scene, and I would love to see something like this in The Smog. I'm wondering if you have any idea if you'd be willing to include some history or tie-in about the Smogon Facebook page at all? You're free to take any approach you want with the article, but I think describing the Facebook scene at large and including something about what Smogon could do to take advantage of this playerbase is interesting. I'm also interested in if there are any conflicts that arise from people knowing only about Serebii or Marriland and their view on Smogon, if they still view Smogon as this big dictatorship/bully or if it's been shifted at all. I'm kind of out of touch with the "general public" playerbase after I stopped playing Pokemon Battle Revolution and making videos on Youtube, I know I started as an anti-Smogon-ite and most of the Youtube playerbase was as well.

The Smog is nearly at its next release, so this would go on the one after that if the idea is approved by the staff
Since the Smogon page is a "like" page and not really a group I didn't think it was as related. I could definitely give it a mention though as it is our most direct link to the Facebook community right now. I smell maybe an Official Smogon FB group in addition to the page in the near future? Haha it's a long shot but that would be incredibly attractive for the more "casual" playerbase I think since it's a more accessible medium for discussion in my opinion than something like IRC at the moment. I could definitely discuss both things though (the current Smogon page and further potential for Smogon on popular social media).

I wanted to avoid emphasizing any antagonizing/negative stances in this pitch but I can tell you right now some portions of the Facebook community definitely bear more....erm....colorful opinions regarding Smogon.
Very rarely do I see mention of Marriland or Serebii though aside from citing their research when a lot of X/Y was still an enigma.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Gives me more time to interview/actually write it.
I'd be ecstatic if it even got approved.

Last edited:

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello, and sorry for the really slow response. I've no experience nor in-depth opinions on this matter, but you deserve a response in some form or shape. All I can really say is, it seems like a cool idea and would be nice to have it on board!

I'd definitely like to see history of the Facebook pages in this. Probably in the introduction or its own section under that, depending on its length.

So what you'll be talking about are the different competitive Pokemon Facebook groups and what they've been doing for (competitive) Pokemon. Is the evolution thing just competitive Pokemon in general, not just Facebook? Evolution of Facebook's competitive scene seems more like it perhaps. And then you want to figure out/theorize a way to connect both established competitive communities and Facebook communities. What are your ideas for this currently? Are most of the Facebook communities like "omg smogon sucks!" or something like that? And I see that established competitive communities is plural. What else would that be including, if Facebook groups is not part of them? (Since you put those separately, I'm mostly assuming this.)

Darkerones, I'm just asking questions to get a better grasp of what this is like. I'm still most likely going to approve this despite your response, hehe.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
Hello, and sorry for the really slow response. I've no experience nor in-depth opinions on this matter, but you deserve a response in some form or shape. All I can really say is, it seems like a cool idea and would be nice to have it on board!

I'd definitely like to see history of the Facebook pages in this. Probably in the introduction or its own section under that, depending on its length.

So what you'll be talking about are the different competitive Pokemon Facebook groups and what they've been doing for (competitive) Pokemon. Is the evolution thing just competitive Pokemon in general, not just Facebook? Evolution of Facebook's competitive scene seems more like it perhaps. And then you want to figure out/theorize a way to connect both established competitive communities and Facebook communities. What are your ideas for this currently? Are most of the Facebook communities like "omg smogon sucks!" or something like that? And I see that established competitive communities is plural. What else would that be including, if Facebook groups is not part of them? (Since you put those separately, I'm mostly assuming this.)

Darkerones, I'm just asking questions to get a better grasp of what this is like. I'm still most likely going to approve this despite your response, hehe.
Yes that point is regarding competitive Pokemon in general, but that growth is most apparent on Facebook where most of the non-Smogon competitive fanbase is.
And by other established communities, I mostly meant Nuggetbridge and the VGC community, as well as even things like Pokemon Reborn (I know the founder of that community) if we broaden that definition to just about any community that is forum-based rather than on Facebook.

"Omg Smogon sucks!" Haha no not all of them are like that. Not even the majority, but many are skeptical to a rational degree and worse, many assume flexibility in Smogon rules and use them as a base for their own custom rules. The most common example of this is they'll say "Smogon OU" to imply they want a battle with Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, certain Mega Stones banned but then will also blanket ban legendary Pokemon as an additional preference, and a majority of the Facebook community look down on the usage of legendary Pokemon even in competitive play. This can result in a shock for some of these more casual players when they transition to mediums like Showdown and begin seeing high caliber players use the likes of Deoxys-S and Keldeo to win.

In addition, while a lot of FB Pokemon fans do actually follow Smogon rules, most are none too familiar with how tiering works for example, or how decisions are made in general regarding the metagame, and often question certain bans (or lack of them) due to a lack of understanding or skill or both.
I just had a fellow admin the other day complain about Smogon not banning Talonflame and Sub Gliscor. A little tired of having to explain his ignorance myself, I simply told him to make a Smogon account and PM Aldaron about why he wants them suspect tested, fully aware the Council would probably laugh his request off or just ignore it completely. His response? Well of course he refused and claimed he didn't have to ask anyone anything because they (I guess referring to the OU council) hold no superiority over him (yeah idk he's not the brightest person...)

As for how we'll bridge the gaps? Well, I think encouraging more players to practice on simulators like Showdown would be a huge stride in standardizing the Facebook community under one format for Singles at least, preferably Smogon's. Another way I think Smogon can seize a lot of influence from the masses is to make a Facebook group ourselves in addition to our Like Page and continue to expand our presence on other media like Twitch, Twitter and Youtube.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I see. Thank you for clarifying the many points. Yeah, this looks solid enough imo. Approved. I'll contact Toast++ for your article workshop access.

Some protocols: get your stuff done on time (pretty much a given hehe) and don't leak anything out of the article workshop. If you can't get your article done for an issue, don't worry, just post saying you want it pushed to the next issue. Oh, and I'd also mark this article down for Other Features.

When you see the article workshop, you'll see several tags on the threads. The ones with [35-M] and stuff similar to that are just indicating the issue number and the section they belong to. Yours would be [35-OF] for example. You can check out the Article Index (stickied) for more information. The other tags you see (WIP, Grammar, and others), indicate the status of your article. WIP (Work In Progress) is where your article starts off when you create a new thread. Once written up, move it to Grammar to obtain a couple of proofreads from other people, and once that's done, move it to HTML for someone to put it into code. After that, Images is the next stage, unless the art was already done beforehand. Either way, once there's art, and it's in the HTML, you should be Done. :)

You can visit #thesmog on IRC if you want. You can chat about your article for some (hopefully) feedback and have some friendly chats here and there.

Thank you for contributing to The Smog and I hope you have a nice time here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)