ORAS NU CoilPass Team w/ Huntail & Klinklang!

Hey guys, Nickoopa here bringing a team that I've made as I use for a long time.... and I really want to improve it, so that's the reason I decided to make an RMT of it!

Teambuilding Process

Starting with Huntail and Klinklang, the core I really wanted to try out, both have decent synergy together, defensive and offensively.

As I saw this team could be pretty weak to fighting types and possibly Feraligatr, I added Vileplume, a pretty good physical wal in the tier.

The team was getting pretty weak to fire spam, so I added Mega Camerupt, it has enourmous offensive presence and it's a pretty decent rocks setter.

The last 2 slots were really random, I wasn't really concentrated so these two are probably going to be removed, I felt like I needed fast stuff as the team was really slow, and that I needed a spinner, so slapped a Cryogonal and an Archeops on it.

After posting the RMT, got suggestion of replacing Cryogonal for either Hariyama or Kangaskhan, and I thought Kangaskhan fits a bit better, this team doesn't really need a way to remove hazards so having Kangaskhan as another sweeper to abuse Coil was a really nice idea.

The Team

Huntail (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Coil
- Waterfall
- Sucker Punch
- Baton Pass

Huntail is the first member of the core, and it's the most viable CoilPasser in NU, it pairs greatly with Klinklang.

- Coil is the main reason Huntail is being used, and it's pretty good at using it, Coil is a great set up move, boosting attack, defense and accuracy.
- Waterfall is the main STAB move, nothing else to say.
- Sucker Punch is meant to pick weakened threats and help to sweep against fast and frail opponents.
- Baton Pass is what gives Huntail a way to pass it's boost to another members of the team (Klinklang is what is meant to receive it).
Water Veil is the ability of choice because it prevents Huntail from getting burned, what is really great for a physical sweeper.
The EVs are meant to capitalize on it's special bulk, as it will boost Attack and Defense with Coil, with a bit of speed to outspeed base uninvested 55s.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Happiness: 0
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Frustration
- Substitute

Klinklang will receive the Coil Boosts, but it can sweep on it's own without Baton Pass, just needs it's counters weakened enough.

- Shift Gear is it's set up move, it boosts Attack and doubles it's Speed, making it able to outspeed a lot of scarfers at +2.
- Gear Grind is the STAB move, if I manage to pass Coil boosts, it won't miss a lot, and becomes a reliable STAB.
- Frustration is the best option for second offensive move, Steel + Normal has a pretty decent neutral coverage, although it doesn't touch opposing Steel-types.
- Substitute protects Klinklang from status effects and makes predictiong and using Shift Gear way easier.
Clear Body is the ability as it's great when you deal with Sticky Web teams or stuff with Intimidate and the other two are useless anyways.
The EVs make it able to outspeed up to base 100 scarfers after a Shift Gear.

Vileplume (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Vileplume is a great wall in NU, making it a reliably switch into fighting types and Feraligatr.

- Giga Drain is the main STAB move as it can hit water-types and ground-types for pretty big damage and recovers some HP.
- Sludge Bomb hits everything Giga Drain doesn't and is a great move to use on a predicted switch into a Fire-type.
- Synthesis gives it reliable recovery, what every wall needs to be effective.
- Aromatherapy can heal status effects from itself and it's teammates.
Effect Spore is the only effective ability on it's defensive set, and it's great to punish physical attackers that dare to touch Vileplume.
The EVs are simple,maximizing physical bulk.

Camerupt (M) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 96 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Mega Camerupt is meant to be the Stealth Rocker and bulky special attacker of the team, it's special attack combined with sheer force is insane, what makes it useful at wearing walls down, it's also pretty nice to break through some Steel-types, such as Ferroseed and Steelix.

- Flamethrower is the a STAB move, and it's powerful with Sheer Force, it was Fire Blast before, but I opted for reliability instead of power.
- Earth Power is the other STAB move, hits most stuff that resists Flamethrower for some damage, like Fire types and Water types that try to switch in.
- Stealth Rock is just the hazard, nothimg else to say, it can help at breaking Sturdy and gives the opponent more pressure to spin as soon as possible, so it can help to set up with the other members of my team.
- Toxic is used to annoy specially bulky water types such as Mantine and Seismitoad that try to get a free switch into Camerupt.
Solid Rock is chosen for the base form because it's the best ability for it, as it enables it to take some super effective moves such as Earthquake a little better.
The EV spread suggested by Brawlfest enables it to outspeed stuff such as Rhydon and Steelix to OHKO them reliably.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch / Earthquake

Suggested by Monstegur, AV Kangaskhan is the secondary sweeper of the team, and it's really damn nice.
- Return is the STAB move, and is really spammeable thanks to Scrappy and it's high base power.
- Drain Punch is used as Fighting coverage so I can hit Rock and Steel types for more damage, while also getting health back so Kangaskhan can stay healthy during a match.
- Sucker Punch is to revenge kill weakened threats and can also help when it's sweeping, as priority is always nice.
- Power-Up Punch is used to boost even more it's Attack after it has received the Coil boosts, what can make Kangaskhan near unstoppable late game.
- Earthquake can also be used, in order to hit Garbodor without recoil and secure OHKOs on Rock and Steel types as it hits harder than Drain Punch does.

Archeops (M)
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Roost

Archeops is the fast attacker of the team, it has great attack when Defeatist isn't activated. Brawlfest gave me some helps with his set.

- Acrobatics is the powerful STAB move as I'm not running any item.
- Earthquake can hit steel types for big damage.
- Taunt is used to shut down walls, so Archeops can be useful to break stall.
- Roost is to recover from any damage, so it can get out of Defeatist range and keep it's offensive pressure.

The EVs just give it full attacking potential, and abuses Archeops' high speed stat.
No item as then Acrobatics becomes a really powerful move.

Changelist:
Substitute > Sucker Punch on Huntail
Improved EVs on Camerupt
AV Kangaskhan > Cryogonal

Last edited:
Hmph, this seems to be an alright coilpass team. The main problem I see is the sheer lack of abusers, in that Huntail really only has Archeops / Klinklang to pass to, and that really takes away from the underlying power of Coilpass. Unlike most other bulky offensive teams, you dont necessarily need to balance physical and special offense, but instead want to include as much as possible to give your passing more flexibility and increase your chances for successful sweeps. Furthermore, you lack the ability to revenge kill opponents, which is a problem further amplified by the passive nature of pokemon such as Cryogonal and Vileplume. You are also incredibly weak to Mega-Steelix, who straigh 2HKOes every pokemon on your team. In fact, Rock and Steel types that beat Mega-Camerupt are hard for your team to deal with in general, as outside of it you have no true way of taking it out.

I don't see the utility behind Cryogonal, because it loses offensive momentum for your team, and doesn't even help your team that much in that you aren't reliant on a spin, and it fails to do much to opponents for an offensive team. I instead reccomend you try Assault Vest Hariyama in its place. Not only is it an amazing receiver of Coil due to its great bulk and fabulous attack, but its dual priority makes it an amazing revenge killer, helping relieve some pressure by stalling weather turns, or cutting a sweep short. Furthermore, it helps break through the Rock and Steel types you had issues with and thus removes pressure from Mega Camerupt, thus opening sweeps more easily for the likes of Klinklang and Archeops.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch

Minor Changes:
Huntail: Substitute > Sucker Punch, as it will allow you to set up more easily on forced switches, pass safely, and avoid predicted status and abuse weaker attacks. A mandatory move on any coilpass set.
Camerupt: 248 HP / 96 SpA / 164 Spe Modest is definitely the spread for this team, as Bulky Fastrupt loses no kills in terms of power, but hits the rock and steel pokemon that plague this team. It is able to outspeed and OHKO stuff like Rhydon, Steelix, etc. that otherwise cause you pretty big trouble.
Archeops: Acrobatics / Earthquake / Taunt / Roost is the way to go for an Archeops set, there really isn't any other. Archeops absolutely needs Roost in order to counteract the ease at which it is worn down and it also allows it to beat priority users 1v1. Taunt is great for nailing bulky walls that attempt to stall it out / status it, making it nearly unstoppable. You really need no moves outside of Acro / EQ which get perfect neutral coverage on the metagame.

Hope this helps your team out.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Nickoopa welcome to smogon!

After reading through your RMT and Brawlfest's rate I can say that Brawlfest addressed some of the bigger issues in his rate. Your team has a Fire-type weakness so Brawlfest's suggestion of replacing Cryogonal with Hariyama was a pretty good one, but just removing Cryogonal in the first place removes the Fire-type weakness so I'm going to suggest a different mon. Brawlfest was quite right that you don't really have to many options to pass Coil passes to on this team, so running AV Kangaskhan > Cryogonal will give you a fantastic option to switch to. Kangaskhan has a number of things going for it after it receives a boost, it has a ridiculously powerful STAB to spam, it can actually get pass Mega Steelix with a couple of boosts, it has priority with Sucker Punch, and has reliable recovery with Drain Punch. With the Assault Vest you are already bulky on the special side and with the coil boosts you are bulky on the physical side, Drain Punch lets you recover off any damage you take as well as opposed to Hariyama.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Assault Vest | Scrappy
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe | Adamant Nature
Return / Double-Edge | Sucker Punch | Drain Punch | Power-Up Punch / Earthquake

So just a note on why I slashed Earthquake on the set; you are already receiving boosts from coil pass so there isn't as much of a reason to run PuP and being able to hit Garbodor without having to take recoil is quite nice.

Smaller changes mostly agreeing with Brawlfest's suggestions:
On the suggestion of Substitute > Sucker Punch I don't think this is entirely necessary as it lets you beat things like Rotom / Rotom-Fan that are trying to come in and force you out, sub is definetely a viable option but so is Sucker Punch. I agree with the above suggestions for the Archeops moveset and the spread for Mega Camerupt.

(Side note for future teambuilding) When looking at this team I really wanted to suggest a specially defensive Mega Camerupt with Rest and Sleep talk as it seems like it would make a really cool core with Vileplume and the team was just feeling like balance looking at the middle 3 Pokemon. If you're having trouble with fire spam on future teams you can try that out.

Anyways I hope this helped ^.^

Just saying I can totally back the Kangaskhan suggestion Montsegur , but again the problem comes up as to his lack of a revenge killer with the Khan set so I'm pretty sure we can confidently suggest standard AV Fake Out / Sucker / DEdge / Drain or EQ or else he loses out on the utility and benefits of running Khan / Yama anyways lol.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just saying I can totally back the Kangaskhan suggestion Montsegur , but again the problem comes up as to his lack of a revenge killer with the Khan set so I'm pretty sure we can confidently suggest standard AV Fake Out / Sucker / DEdge / Drain or EQ or else he loses out on the utility and benefits of running Khan / Yama anyways lol.
If he is finding that Sucker Punch isn't enough then he can always put Fake Out on in the 4th slot on Kangaskhan. I really feel like after passing 1-2 boosts that PuP isn't needed so having that slot open to run Fake Out for revenge killing or EQ for Garbodor is quite nice. The only problem with not running PuP is that if Huntail is misplayed then Kanga has difficulty sweeping / causing as much damage.

As there's been a lot of time that I've posted that, I think it's better to double post to keep this threat a bit active, I've stopped playing NU while Serperior was around but now I'm back at playing it, and have some replays to show :]

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-204483363
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-204212273
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-201325435 (The Gear Grind on Pyroar was a huge fail, I thought it would OHKO without a crit and probably used it fearing some random sash)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-201322920

I actually liked the Kangaskhan idea the most, although it gives my team a bit of trouble vs Fire spam, but it can get some sweeps quite easily specially with Power-Up Punch. That is probably my favorite NU team by now :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)