Claydol (Anti-Lead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that a similar set to this isn't already on site, as it combines 4 moves that make a great lead: Trick, Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, and Explosion. This claydol functions very similarily to the starmie trickscarf lead found on site: It tricks a scarf onto the opposition, hopefully locking it into stealth rock, then uses it's bulk to set up it's own stealth rock or to spin those pesky rocks away. It's a bit like an Aerodactyl lead, in that it gets up rocks, while making sure that your opponent doesn't. Against anti leads such as machamp, it can trick a scarf onto them, then switch to the appropriate wall/sweeper that resists that particular move, or it can just explode on the ones that can OHKO it. Against some leads, it offers perfect set up oppertunities for the next pokemon to switch in. Anyways, here's the set:

[SET]
name:Anti-Lead Trickscarf Suicide Claydol/Lead Gyrados partner?
move 1: Trick
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Rapid Spin
move 4: Explosion
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 160 HP/134 Atc./216 SPD
ability: levitate

How it does againt the top 10 leads:

Azelf: It gets tricked a scarf. If it attacked you, set up SR, if it SRed, either put up your own, or get rid of his.
Machamp: The biggest reason for those Ev's in attack is so that explosion always OHKO's Machamp. Alternately, you can get up SR, and save claydol for a quick explosion or trick later on (even if he hits max damage on payback, you'll still have enough HP to switch in on SR once). BOOM BOOM BOOM!
Aerodactyl: The speed Ev's are to outspeed aero. Trick him a scarf, and react accordingly. If he taunts you , you can explode on the inevitable switchin next turn, if he SR's, spin or set up your own.
Metagross: Metagross is one of the problem leads. If he's stupid enough to use SR first turn and you decide to trick him, you get to spin or set up as usual. If you MMes first turn, he'll 2hko you, and outspeed the second turn because of the scarf.
Swampert: Swampert is totally crippled by trickscarf. You get your usual options if he sets up SR, and IB won't 2hko.
Jirachi: Can't touch him, but at least you can set up SR, then switch to someone to set up.
Infernape: Infernape is a bit annoying. Fake out+2 fire blasts will 3hko you. If you don't care about KO'ing machamp or tricking aerodactyl, you can allocate a few ev's to sp def to solve this problem.
Roserade: You beat Roserade by tricking her a scarf. If she sleeps you first turn, no biggie, you've stopped her from setting up tspikes. She will KO you with leaf storm, but then you'll have a roserade locked into a -2 grass attack, perfect set up bait.
Heatran: Heatran can't KO you with FB (although it will with explosion), and they'll often try to set up SR. If they do, spin them away and set up your own as usual.
Ninjask: Ninjask has the potential to be a pain in the ass. If they protect first turn, they'll sub next turn if you tricked, andyou'll be dead if they exploded. Really, the best thing to do is to SR while they protect, then switch to a phazer.

Why this set deserves to be on site:
-Sets up rocks.
-Spins away opponents rocks after crippling them.
-Many matchups offer setup turns to dangerous pokemon.
-If not sacrificed early game can return mid game to wreak havoc, get rid of stat uppers with trick and/or explosion, and spin away rocks.

Additional comments:
-Can beat metagross/infernape if you take away speed or attack.
-Best used on offensive teams that don't want rocks up on their side, because they get mucho free setup turns.
-All of the leads that beat it then become setup bait for gyrados
-Undecided on the name.

Teammates and counters
-Gyrados is the best teammate there is. It can set up on scarfed metagross meteor mash, scarf swampert ice beam, Jirachi Iron head, infernape or heatran fire blast, and -2 roserade leaf storm. Heck, if using a roar set, you can even beat ninjask!
-Leadtar using pursuit totally mauls it, but you still get rocks up.
-Scarf/specs starmie OHKO's it with hydro pump/surf.

Hopefully this set is more sucessful then my first one was. I'm going to bed now, I'll be back in 8 hours or so.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to be a little blunt here: what DOESN'T Trick Lead Claydol do that the Metagross scarf lead variants already do besides Rapid Spin? Essentially in the OP, some of the leads you listed requires prediction to get around, and even when Claydol has done his job and Tricked some leads, he has absolutely little utility mid game. Given this, he will find little time to Rapid Spin and essentially becomes obvious Rotom-A bait. Against leads like Infernape, it is implicified that EVs are needed to get around them.

Also,

Attack=Atk
Speed=Spe

I'm not seeing this set in a positive light because of all the recent Psychic-type Trick leads trying to make their way into OU. Perhaps this needs be unique.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I do not understand why this set should be onsite. What does it accomplish? I have said this countless times, and I will say it again: the fact that some Pokemon learn Trick doesn't mean that they warrant an analysis. This leads basically stops nothing from setting up Stealth Rock, is beaten by Metagross, Roserade, Starmie, and Heatran leads, while at the same time has no midgame utility other than using Explosion, which mainly opens the gate for Gengar and Rotom-A so that they can set up Substitute, etcetera.

For your information, TrickScarf Starmie is being removed from the site.

QC REJECTION (1/3)

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What Setsuna said. Massive, massive Ghost bait, doesn't "beat" any leads, doesn't achieve anything interesting. Trick does not an anti-lead make.

QC REJECTION (2/3)

I'm not seeing this set in a positive light because of all the recent Psychic-type Trick leads trying to make their way into OU. Perhaps this needs be unique.
There's no need to be so hostile towards this set. Even though it doesn't completely blind me because of how good it is, I'm still curious out of how this set acts outside of theorymon. Claydol definitely differentiates itself from other psychics with the combination of Rapid spin and Stealth rock as well as being immune to Thunder Wave from Jirachi and Togekiss -_-. Unlike Starmie who is Claydol's main TrickSpin rival it can Stealth rock as well as Rapid Spin. Although Starmie has more speed, Claydol has more natural bulk so it balances out. (I just read the comments above me o.o forget that last statement)

If you can post some calcs and logs to prove this set's effectiveness you might have a chance to save it! lol but not likely...

I do not understand why this set should be onsite. What does it accomplish? I have said this countless times, and I will say it again: the fact that some Pokemon learn Trick doesn't mean that they warrant an analysis. This leads basically stops nothing from setting up Stealth Rock, is beaten by Metagross, Roserade, Starmie, and Heatran leads, while at the same time has no midgame utility other than using Explosion, which mainly opens the gate for Gengar and Rotom-A so that they can set up Substitute, etcetera.

For your information, TrickScarf Starmie is being removed from the site.

QC REJECTION (1/3)
It is? But that was actually a good trickscarf lead due to the fact that it cripples stuff and can deal damage without dying, as well as clear rocks!

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It is? But that was actually a good trickscarf lead due to the fact that it cripples stuff and can deal damage without dying, as well as clear rocks!
The same could have been achieved similarly by ANY TrickScarf Pokemon paired with a Rapid Spinner. Also, the Starmie set onsite not only does disappointing damage to certain leads (Machamp and friends), it pretty much serves the same purpose a standard Scarf Starmie would have done if it was tired of it's own Scarf. On the other hand, Starmie also has four-moveslot syndrome involving Rapid Spin.

Scarf lead Starmie isn't total shit, but the main question here is: if Starmie and Metagross can do it, what can Claydol do better

Claydol has Explosion, which allows it to beat machamp (#2 lead now I believe) it also has stealth rock. It takes one turn less to spin away the rocks then if you just had a paired trickscarfer and rapid spinner. Since the general approval of this set in OU is low, I may do a rewrite of this set for UU, as there are less ghosts there and more leads that get SR or other entry hazards up away, therefore are beat by trickscarf+Rapid spin. Thanks for your time.

Edit: But really, don't dismiss it till you've paired it with gyrados on an offensive team. It helps him set upp so much, it's not even funny.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Claydol has Explosion, which allows it to beat machamp (#2 lead now I believe) it also has stealth rock. It takes one turn less to spin away the rocks then if you just had a paired trickscarfer and rapid spinner. Since the general approval of this set in OU is low, I may do a rewrite of this set for UU, as there are less ghosts there and more leads that get SR or other entry hazards up away, therefore are beat by trickscarf+Rapid spin. Thanks for your time.
Ahem. Too late.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71630

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)