SS OU Choice Band Durant+Gravity Sand Offense

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I wanted to build a team around an underrated threat in OU. With a tiny bit of support and sometimes stealth rocks, Durant becomes almost impossible to switch into, able to OHKO or THKO almost all of OU with a choice band. And with it's extremely high speed tier, very little can outspeed it. The only problem lay in its ability Hustle. I was losing games because of missed Iron Heads and that brought me to Gravity. Anyway, here's the team.

1584427431871.png

Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Iron Head
- Crunch
- Stomping Tantrum

The star of the team, nothing wants to face a CB Durant with it's 712 attack stat and STAB priority. First Impression either OHKO's or THKO's majority of OU, dealing 70+ consistently. One of the best defensive behemoths, and a counter, in Ferrothorn takes 49-58% from First Impression and a 4HKO with the rest of his moves after leftovers. It can even take out a Cloyster who sets up after stealth rock damage. Iron Head is there for pesky fairies, such as Clef, Sylveon, or even Primarina, and OHKO's threats such as Terrakion, Mimikyu, Togekiss, etc. Crunch knocks out Aegislash in Shield Form after stealth rocks guaranteed and has an 87.5% chance to do it without. Tantrum is for another hard counter in the hated Pex, guaranteeing a THKO after black sludge. This thing did have to be afraid of Torkoal, who takes around 30% and destroys us with Lava Plume, Corviknight, who walls us entirely, only taking 16.5-19.5% from First Impression, but it is 3HKO from Crunch, Dragapult, who outspeeds and abuses our very low 48 SpD, and strong fires like Cinderace, Darm, and Rotom-H.Overall, in testing, this thing is an unstoppable cannon with priority First Impression impossible to switch in to, but it still had the accuracy problem and some walls, but this could be dealt with.

1584427455625.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Teleport
- Moonblast
- Gravity

Gravity instantly popped to mind to both save our accuracy and to absolutely ignore one of the tiers best pokemon and a hard counter in Corviknight. With grounded Corviknight, Durant can deal an automatic THKO on the bird with Stomping Tantrum. Clef here can also bring in Durant, or other sweepers, in for free with newly improved Teleport, helping to negate Durant's fragility. Clef also becomes a hard counter to Specs or Scarf Dragapult, only taking 38% max from a Specs Shadow Ball and dealing back 78-92% with uninvested Moonblast. I've found that most people switch on Clef with Corv, allowing for free set ups with Wish/Gravity into other pokemon. Wish passing is extremely beneficial to our team. A lot of the pokemon are frailer or in much need of recovery, and with free switch ins provided by Clef, everyone appreciates the support.

1584427497586.png

Gigalith @ Leftovers
Ability: Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gravity
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Body Press

Gigalith was a godsend for this team. My team so far was getting demolished by every fire type in existence, I was in dire need of stealth rock support, and I wanted another Gravity user. Gigalish was all of these and more. He acts as a physical wall, switching in easily on Corviknight Brave Bird's, taking only 10%, and 3HKO back with Stone Edge. Stealth Rocks were huge for this team. They break potential sashes on stuff like Drill or Dugtrio, allowing for an automatic OHKO with Durant, or dealing much needed damage to Corv, also letting a OHKO under Gravity for Durant. Some of our biggest threats in Fire types hate Gigalith. Rocks deal 25% every time they come in, allowing for easy pick offs with nuclear First Impression. He hard walls Cinderace, a huge threat to our Durant, only taking 14.4-17% from Pyro Ball, and OHKO's back with Stone Edge. I put Body Press over Earthquake because I found Earthquake unnecessary when majority of the time, Stone Edge did more. Body Press let me do more damage against Ferrothorn and OHKO Bisharp, a threat to our Pult. With min Speed, we can win weather wars with Torkoal and easily 1v1 them with Stone Edge, another HUGE threat to Durant. Overall, Gigalith is the perfect fit for this team that compressed every role I needed and provided great support.

1584428114298.png

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Drill lets us abuse our sand, provide hazard control, and sweep in the process. Under sand, Excadrill outspeeds almost everything, letting us get rid of rocks that can chip down our Durant and get rid of huge threats in all fire types. Under Gravity, he THKO's Corv and with a SD, he stands no chance. Drill has saved many games for me with his high sweeping potential.

1584428136862.png

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Our team so far needed a scarfer and a way to touch Ferrothorn. Pult gives us both. One of the best scarfers in the tier, Dragapult can spam shadow balls nonstop, OHKO Specs Dragapults that would threaten Durant. Fire Blast, although less accurate, gives us a boost in power to guarantee an OHKO on Ferrothorn and, with Gravity, it'll never miss. I went for Modest nature for a boost in power, but with Timid, you still OHKO Ferrothorn and can speedtie with other Scarf Pults who might threaten us. Zeraora, always a threat with his high speed tier, get's OHKO after rocks, but a Durant First Impression OHKO's without it. Dragapult can also stop the occasional substitutes like Hydreigon or Belly Drum Kommo-o with Draco's. If an opponent switches in a SpD wall such as Clef or SpD Pex, a switch out to Durant can be almost free sometimes, unless it's a LO Clef. Then you'll take massive damage from Thunderbolt or Flamethrower.

1584428160298.png

Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

I still wanted another answer to Ferrothorn and Toxapex while covering up part of our fire and water weakness. Rotom-Heat OHKO's Ferrothorn easily and can deal 24-29% with a +2 Volt Switch or 31-37 with a +2 TBolt. Not much, but the chip for Durant is huge. He also THKO's Pex with TBolt or OHKO's after a Nasty Plot boost. Both of those pokemon were huge threats to my team. The water weakness is still there a little, but at +2 you deal 94-111% to Dracovish and 78-93% to Rotom-W with TBolt. Without +2, you OHKO Keldeo, if you get the chance. You naturally THKO Corv and, with +2, a TBolt or Overheat takes out the threat. In Gravity, you have 100% accuracy on your Overheats, guaranteeing a dead Corv or Ferrothorn BUT you have to be cautious because you're now 4x weak to Earthquakes.

I'd love to hear suggestions for the team if anyone has any. So far this team has been fun and cool to use, but I'm very open to suggestions. I'm sort of new to team building. Thanks!

https://pokepast.es/eed1874e7ccfbbaf

P.S. Sorry I didn't upload all the calcs I was tired. Just remember that First Impression DESTROYS everything it touches for the most part. Have fun if you use this!

Attachments

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
Accidentally put leftovers in the pokepaste instead of smooth rock for Gigalith. Feel free to switch it out sorry.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heyyos! Nice team you've got there! I had used Gravity in Gen 7 but I've never tried the strat since and considering that this gen there are lesser threats to account for compared to past gens, this strategy seems like it would work better! Your team looks pretty fine as it is but I have a few suggestions for you to try out that may work out for you. Your team's aim is to utilize gravity and support Durant and so I will tailor my suggestions based around that.

>>>

First off, your team is going to lose the weather matchup against rain unless you play perfectly. Having scarf pult doesn't alleviate this problem because you will end up losing your key offensive mons before scarf pult is able to come in and put in work. Therefore, our aim here should be to focus a bit on the defensive core and thus we should run Phys Def Gastrodon over Dragapult. Why am I swapping out an offensive mon into a defensive mon? Because your team has enough offensive presence (in the form of Durant, Excadrill and Rotom-Heat) and your team's backbone doesn't allow you to play less aggressively so Gastrodon will help alleviate this pressure point for your team. This also forms a neat little core with Rotom-Heat and makes it easier for you to pivot around opposing teams.

Next, I think running Discharge over Thunderbolt might be a lot more stronger for your team. At the cost of 10BP you get a 20% increase chance to paralyze your opponent's mons and this can be the huge deciding factor between games and also gives your mon a lot more space to breathe. Nothing much else to explain here

Small change here but I think running Soft Sand over leftovers is better here as it allows your earthquakes to hit slightly harder since it's already your go to move to spam when Gravity is active.

Your team is incredibly weak to Conkeldurr and furthermore, I think to ease this issue, we need to have a bit more speed on our Clefable to ensure that we don't just auto lose to him, thus I suggest that we run the EVs 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe. Also, I think that one interesting option that you can run on Clefable is to run Trick Iron Ball. Now in case you are unaware, iron ball is an item that grounds opposing mons and halves their speeds, so it is basically gravity in item form that assists your Excadrill in sweeping. This is good because trick allows you to cripple opposing mons by cutting their speed and grounding them (in the case of corviknight, which is a common switch in to Clef) and gives your excadrill more leeway without relying on a move that benefits your opponent as well (Gravity grounds your own Rotom-Heat as well)

Personally, I think that gravity on your team should be used only when you're about to sack Gigalith so that you can bring Durant in to click moves and win from there. Otherwise, Gravity can be a very double edged sword so having a secondary wincon in the form of Excadrill is very good. Hope you enjoy the changes and stay safe amidst the chaos that is the pandemic! /cheers/
Clefable @ Iron Ball
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Trick

Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
- Discharge
- Volt Switch

Excadrill @ Soft Sand
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Amnesia

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
Heyyos! Nice team you've got there! I had used Gravity in Gen 7 but I've never tried the strat since and considering that this gen there are lesser threats to account for compared to past gens, this strategy seems like it would work better! Your team looks pretty fine as it is but I have a few suggestions for you to try out that may work out for you. Your team's aim is to utilize gravity and support Durant and so I will tailor my suggestions based around that.

>>>

First off, your team is going to lose the weather matchup against rain unless you play perfectly. Having scarf pult doesn't alleviate this problem because you will end up losing your key offensive mons before scarf pult is able to come in and put in work. Therefore, our aim here should be to focus a bit on the defensive core and thus we should run Phys Def Gastrodon over Dragapult. Why am I swapping out an offensive mon into a defensive mon? Because your team has enough offensive presence (in the form of Durant, Excadrill and Rotom-Heat) and your team's backbone doesn't allow you to play less aggressively so Gastrodon will help alleviate this pressure point for your team. This also forms a neat little core with Rotom-Heat and makes it easier for you to pivot around opposing teams.

Next, I think running Discharge over Thunderbolt might be a lot more stronger for your team. At the cost of 10BP you get a 20% increase chance to paralyze your opponent's mons and this can be the huge deciding factor between games and also gives your mon a lot more space to breathe. Nothing much else to explain here

Small change here but I think running Soft Sand over leftovers is better here as it allows your earthquakes to hit slightly harder since it's already your go to move to spam when Gravity is active.

Your team is incredibly weak to Conkeldurr and furthermore, I think to ease this issue, we need to have a bit more speed on our Clefable to ensure that we don't just auto lose to him, thus I suggest that we run the EVs 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe. Also, I think that one interesting option that you can run on Clefable is to run Trick Iron Ball. Now in case you are unaware, iron ball is an item that grounds opposing mons and halves their speeds, so it is basically gravity in item form that assists your Excadrill in sweeping. This is good because trick allows you to cripple opposing mons by cutting their speed and grounding them (in the case of corviknight, which is a common switch in to Clef) and gives your excadrill more leeway without relying on a move that benefits your opponent as well (Gravity grounds your own Rotom-Heat as well)

Personally, I think that gravity on your team should be used only when you're about to sack Gigalith so that you can bring Durant in to click moves and win from there. Otherwise, Gravity can be a very double edged sword so having a secondary wincon in the form of Excadrill is very good. Hope you enjoy the changes and stay safe amidst the chaos that is the pandemic! /cheers/
Clefable @ Iron Ball
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Trick

Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
- Discharge
- Volt Switch

Excadrill @ Soft Sand
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Amnesia
Thanks for the advice! I love the idea of trick iron ball to cripple corv. In testing, it's a huge threat. I'll try out your changes and I'll let you know how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)