OU Chesnaught

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion

TEH CHESNUT IS HEEREE!!!!!1!!

Overview
########
With a rare resistance to the potent EdgeQuake combination; astronomical physical bulk; a wide array of utility moves such as Taunt, Leech Seed, Roar, Spikes, and Spiky Shield; and a solid STAB move in Hammer Arm, Chesnaught is quite the bomb. Speaking of bombs, Chesnaught's nifty ability Bulletproof makes it immune to some bomb- and ball-based attacks, such as Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Focus Blast. It is also one of the most reliable defensive Spikers in the tier, allowing defensive teams to rack up passive damage incredibly fast. Thanks to its unique typing and physical bulk, Chesnaught also counters some very potent threats in the tier, such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar. Furthermore, its ability lets it freely switch into Aegislash and Mega Venusaur without having to worry about Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb, respectively. Chesnaught's great physical bulk, typing, movepool, and ability make it a huge stop to numerous threatening Pokemon in the tier.

However, Chesnaught's poor special bulk is exploited by weaknesses to common types of moves that often come from special attackers, such as Fire, Ice, Fairy, Psychic, and Poison. It also has a crippling weakness to Flying-types, and because Hammer Arm is usually its only attack, it often offers a free switch-in to big threats such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Chesnaught is also rather slow, hitting an unimpressive base 64 Speed; it is thus pretty much shut down by fast Pokemon with Taunt that don't mind Fighting-type moves, such as Gengar or Thundurus. However, despite its shortcomings and numerous weaknesses, Chesnaught's physical bulk, typing, and movepool make it a great choice for balanced and stall teams alike.

Physical Tank
########
name: Physical Tank
move 1: Spiky Shield
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Hammer Arm
move 4: Spikes / Wood Hammer
ability: Bulletproof
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========
Spiky Shield is very similar to Protect; however, if the opponent uses a move that makes contact on the turn Chesnaught uses Spiky Shield, the opponent will take some passive damage (12%). Spiky Shield can be very useful for scouting and stalling for extra Leftovers or Leech Seed recovery. Leech Seed inflicts passive damage and offers some extra healing to Chesnaught while encouraging switches, which creates free turns. Hammer Arm is a reliable attacking option, dealing with notable threats such as Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is a toss-up between Spikes and Wood Hammer; Spikes is useful for both defensive and offensive teams, while Wood Hammer is an alternative that acts as a stronger secondary STAB attack, though the recoil often makes this option undesirable, and Grass has terrible offensive coverage. Taunt can be used to help keep status away from Chesnaught, most notably from Substitute + Toxic Aegislash, while also preventing sweepers from setting up, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed to utilize it effectively. Roar is an option to prevent setup and rack up extra entry hazard damage. Synthesis is a great choice if you want reliable recovery, especially since rain is relatively rare, and Chesnaught beats both of the sand summoners, Hippowdon and Tyranitar.

Set Details
========
Full investment in HP and Defense along with an Impish nature is used to maximize physical bulk. Leftovers is necessary as Chesnaught does not usually run Synthesis, but if Synthesis is used, Rocky Helmet is an alternative to further punish users of contact moves. Bulletproof makes Chesnaught immune to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, moves that it would otherwise take heavy damage from, and this ability should always be used instead of Overgrow for this reason.

Usage Tips
========
Using Leech Seed often is the best way for Chesnaught to play. Passive damage on the opponent and extra healing for Chesnaught while forcing switches is just amazing. It's recommended to set Leech Seed up on every foe you possibly can. If Chesnaught uses Leech Seed on a Pokemon that cannot hurt it very much, it is likely that the Pokemon will switch out, and this forced switch should be capitalized on by by setting up Leech Seed or laying Spikes against the switch-in, rather than using Spiky Shield. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move that is ideal to use against Pokemon that commonly run Choice items, such as Keldeo, to scout moves and appropriately respond. Spikes should be set mainly on switches that Chesnaught forces with its sheer bulk, but try not to waste time setting them when the opponent can get rid of them. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Likewise, try not to Defog your own hazards, and use a spinner instead. Roar is also a good move to use when you predict a switch, but it's better to use it only when you have entry hazards up or when a boosted Pokemon threatens your team. When facing a boosted enemy that Chesnaught can significantly damage, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage; just go for the KO with Hammer Arm. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep it free of these afflictions; Taunt can help it in this regard.

Team Options
========
Chansey takes powerful special attacks, absorbs and removes status, and can pass Wishes, making it one of Chesnaught's best partners. In return, Chesnaught can take on many Steel-types that threaten Chansey, such as Bisharp, Excadrill, and Aegislash. Heatran and Chesnaught resist every one of each other's weaknesses except Fighting, and they also form a core that sets hazards, and benefits greatly from Leech Seed, making them excellent partners for each other. Rotom-H is another Pokemon that boasts similar synergy with Chesnaught, only missing out on resistances to Poison- and Psychic-type moves, both of which do not have great offensive coverage. Slowbro and Chesnaught form a solid defensive core together; Slowbro sponges Fire-, Psychic-, and Ice-type moves, while Chesnaught shrugs off Dark- and Electric-type moves and beats the most threatening Ghost-type attacker, Aegislash. Together, they strongly check Mega Gyarados, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Charizard X, all of which are extremely powerful and popular Mega Pokemon. Zapdos covers Chesnaught's greatest weakness, Flying, and can also beat Mega Mawile and Azumarill for Chesnaught with Heat Wave and Thunderbolt, respectively.

Other Options
========
Chesnaught can opt for a Bulk Up set, but with its subpar Special Defense and numerous weaknesses, it is not an ideal user of the move. Belly Drum can be used for a massive boost in Attack, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed or powerful priority to effectively use it. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if the recoil is undesirable. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Sylveon, and Stone Edge hits common Fire- and Flying-type switch-ins such as Talonflame and Charizard, but the former lacks great coverage and the latter lacks reliability, while both are rather weak outside of hitting their targets. Substitute is an option to ease prediction and give Chesnaught a layer of protection against status and strong moves. This can work well in conjunction with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield against foes such as Talonflame: Chesnaught can simply alternate between Leech Seed and Spiky Shield to rack up significant passive damage. However, Chesnaught is too slow to utilize it very effectively, and the loss of health from Substitute can be detrimental to a Pokemon with no recovery. Furthermore, powerful sound-based moves such as Boomburst, Pixilate Hyper Voice, and Bug Buzz nail Chesnaught through Substitute. Pain Split can be used for semi-reliable recovery, especially in the sand, and can weaken healthy switch-ins. Toxic cripples common switch-ins such as Latias, Volcarona, bulky Talonflame, and Unaware Clefable.

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Flying-type attacks easily take out Chesnaught. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in particular only fear the rare Stone Edge and threaten to either set up on Chesnaught or OHKO it with their STAB moves.

**Taunt**: Any Pokemon with Taunt that resists Fighting-type moves, such as Thundurus and Mega Gardevoir, can easily take on Chesnaught.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type attackers, mostly specially inclined ones, such as Mega Charizard-Y, roast Chesnaught with their powerful STAB attacks. Heatran has trouble switching in, and Spiky Shield, Toxic, and Stone Edge can annoy Talonflame, but both beat Chesnaught as well.

**Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers, such as Landorus, Thundurus, and Latios, can heavily damage Chesnaught with their STAB or coverage moves.

**Entry Hazards**: Even though Chesnaught resists Stealth Rock, the passive damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes cripple Chesnaught, especially when it doesn't run Synthesis.

**Magic Guard**: Magic Guard users, such as Reuniclus and Clefable, are immune to Leech Seed and can thus freely set up on Chesnaught.

**Fairy-types**: Sylveon, Clefable, and Mega Gardevoir can switch in easily on Hammer Arm, only fearing the rare Poison Jab, and can 2HKO or OHKO Chesnaught with STAB Fairy-type moves, although Mega Gardevoir must watch out for Wood Hammer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
From one of my earlier posts in the old Chesnaught thread:

QC users discussed about the set that Chesnaught should use. We have decided that this should be the only set:

- Earthquake will go to Moves. Mention Earthquake is primarily for Aegislash. We felt it wasn't great for a mandatory slash because EQ is still kind of weak and Chesnaught is still prone to SubToxic Aegislash.
- You may also include Roar / Synthesis if you would like.

You may debate on the semantics of the set slashes; however, I probably wouldn't deviate too far from this.

-40 evs in Special Defense guarantees a 3HKO on Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump, allowing you to act as an emergency check. The rest goes into HP and Defense to maximize physical bulk.
I'm somewhat confused by this.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 169-199 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

You're still only 3HKOed by Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump even without the 40 SpD EVs. Of course, you could have been referring to avoiding a 2HKO after Stealth Rock, in which case:

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Chesnaught: 161-190 (42.3 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You'd need an additional 4 SpD EVs to avoid that 2HKO, but if you're running Spiky Shield (which is a mandatory slash on the set Colonel M posted), you can still avoid the 2HKO without those EVs just by using Spiky Shield to stall for Leftovers recovery. I honestly think you're better off just maxing out the Def stat since that excellent physical bulk is what makes Chesnaught so good in the first place. I'm also really not sure about Rocky Helmet getting a main slash. The recovery of Leftovers combined with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield is extremely important for keeping Chesnaught healthy. Maybe include a Set Details mention for it when using Synthesis or something, but Leftovers is so good that it should be the standalone item.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I'm somewhat confused by this.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Chesnaught: 169-199 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

You're still only 3HKOed by Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump even without the 40 SpD EVs. Of course, you could have been referring to avoiding a 2HKO after Stealth Rock, in which case:

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Chesnaught: 161-190 (42.3 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You'd need an additional 4 SpD EVs to avoid that 2HKO, but if you're running Spiky Shield (which is a mandatory slash on the set Colonel M posted), you can still avoid the 2HKO without those EVs just by using Spiky Shield to stall for Leftovers recovery. I honestly think you're better off just maxing out the Def stat since that excellent physical bulk is what makes Chesnaught so good in the first place. I'm also really not sure about Rocky Helmet getting a main slash. The recovery of Leftovers combined with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield is extremely important for keeping Chesnaught healthy. Maybe include a Set Details mention for it when using Synthesis or something, but Leftovers is so good that it should be the standalone item.
From one of my earlier posts in the old Chesnaught thread:

QC users discussed about the set that Chesnaught should use. We have decided that this should be the only set:

- Earthquake will go to Moves. Mention Earthquake is primarily for Aegislash. We felt it wasn't great for a mandatory slash because EQ is still kind of weak and Chesnaught is still prone to SubToxic Aegislash.
- You may also include Roar / Synthesis if you would like.

You may debate on the semantics of the set slashes; however, I probably wouldn't deviate too far from this.
Done, and Thanks!
This is ready for QC now

Also, the OO section needs a little beefing up, not too sure what to put in...

Done, and Thanks!
This is ready for QC now

Also, the OO section needs a little beefing up, not too sure what to put in...
Some niche things for OO could be Poison Jab for Sylveon, Clefable, and Mega Gard, Stone Edge for Flying-types, and Toxic to screw over things like Latios as it switches in as well as sweepers trying to set up.

ctrl f pain split and got no results, i think its definitely worth mentioning. sand is everywhere so synthesis is going to be useless a lot, pain split can be cool for healing you up on the switch while also weakening your opponent when leech seed just wont do the job.

also worth noting somewhere are sub and toxic.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
Some niche things for OO could be Poison Jab for Sylveon, Clefable, and Mega Gard, Stone Edge for Flying-types, and Toxic to screw over things like Latios as it switches in as well as sweepers trying to set up.
ctrl f pain split and got no results, i think its definitely worth mentioning. sand is everywhere so synthesis is going to be useless a lot, pain split can be cool for healing you up on the switch while also weakening your opponent when leech seed just wont do the job.

also worth noting somewhere are sub and toxic.
Implemented, thanks!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not QC, but, in your explanation for Sub, I would also mention that it works well alongside Leech Seed, but that it is not fast enough to abuse it effectively.

I'd also mention how Sub lets Chesnaught dick with some common switch ins, especially common Band users such as Talonflame; alternating between Substitute and Spiky Shield allows it to wear them down a bit (at the cost of your own health, of course, but if it's weakened enough (e.g. Talonflame switching in on Stealth Rock) you can beat it without much HP loss on your part.) And if it's something with a boosting move (Pinsir) you can potentially hit them with Leech Seed if they think you're going to use Spiky Shield again and boost instead of attacking. Plus, it resists the most common non-contact moves, Earthquake and Stone Edge.

May also want to mention that Pixilate Hyper Voice and Bug Buzz ignore subs.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
Not QC, but, in your explanation for Sub, I would also mention that it works well alongside Leech Seed, but that it is not fast enough to abuse it effectively.
I'd also mention how Sub lets Chesnaught dick with some common switch ins, especially common Band users such as Talonflame; alternating between Substitute and Spiky Shield allows it to wear them down a bit (at the cost of your own health, of course, but if it's weakened enough (e.g. Talonflame switching in on Stealth Rock) you can beat it without much HP loss on your part.) And if it's something with a boosting move (Pinsir) you can potentially hit them with Leech Seed if they think you're going to use Spiky Shield again and boost instead of attacking. Plus, it resists the most common non-contact moves, Earthquake and Stone Edge.

May also want to mention that Pixilate Hyper Voice and Bug Buzz ignore subs.
Included all the tips & info on sub, thanks for the input!

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
All right, this is finally written up!
Ready for the last QC check.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, just a few things that aren't even content errors:
Even strong neutral special hits such as It also has a crippling weakness to Flying-types, and because Hammer Arm is usually its only attack, it is often a free switch-in to big threats like Mega Pinsir and Talonflame.
Looks like you forgot to finish this sentence. lol.
Belly Drum can be used for a massive boost in Attack, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed to effectively use it, and Feint is far too weak even with the +6 boost.
Feint?

Other than that, this looks pretty great. Good job.

QC Approved 3/3

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
Okay, just a few things that aren't even content errors:

Looks like you forgot to finish this sentence. lol.
Oh wow. I think I was looking through to find a strong neutral hit that 2hko's Chesnaught, but I couldn't find any relevant ones. I could use a little help on that :o.
Thing is, the pokemon has to be using this neutral move, and not some other coverage move which hits Chesnaught for SE, to 2hko chesnut.
I mean, I previously said that it didn't have the speed or priority to use Belly Drum before, but technically it does get Feint, so I addressed the flaws with that instead, just to be accurate. I could remove the mention of it if you wanted.

Other than that, this looks pretty great. Good job.

QC Approved 3/3
This is now GP then!

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I mean, it said that it didn't have the speed or priority to use Belly Drum before, but technically it does get Feint, so I addressed the flaws with that instead, just to be accurate. I could remove the mention of it if you wanted.
Yeah, Feint is basically useless.

tehy

Banned deucer.
amcheck

Overview
########
With a rare resistance to the potent EdgeQuake combination, astronomical physical bulk, a wide array of utility moves such as Taunt, Leech Seed, Roar, Spikes, a Spiky Shield, and a solid STAB move in Hammer Arm, Chesnaught is the bomb. Speaking of bombs, Chesnaught's nifty ability Bulletproof makes it immune to some bomb and ball moves, such as Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Focus Blast. Chesnaught is also one of the most reliable defensive Spike Stackers in the tier, allowing defensive teams to rack up passive damage incredibly fast. Thanks to its unique typing and physical bulk, Chesnaught also counters some very potent threats in the tier, such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar. Furthermore, its ability granlets immunity to key coverage moves of important pokemon, so Chesnaught can freely switch into Aegislash or Mega Venusaur without having to worry about Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb, respectively. Chesnaught's great physical bulk, typing, movepool, and ability make it a huge stop to numerous threatening pPokemon in the tier.

While Chesnaught may be covered on the physically spectrum, the special side is where it really suffers. Chesnaught has weaknesses to common specially -based types, such as Fire-, Ice-, Fairy-, Psychic-, and Poison- types. It also has a crippling weakness to Flying-types, and because Hammer Arm is usually its only attack, it is often a free switch-in to big threats like Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Chesnaught is also rather slow, hitting an unimpressive base 64 speed. Additionally, Chesnaught is pretty much shut down by Pokemon with Taunt that resisdon't mind Fighting-type moves, such as Gengar or Thundurus. However, despite its shortcomings and numerous weaknesses, Chesnaught's physical bulk, typing, and movepool makes it a great choice for balanced and stall teams alike.

Physical Tank
########
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Moves
========

Spiky Shield is very similar to Protect,; however, if the opponent uses a move that makes contact on twhe turn Chesnaught uses Spiky Shield, the opponent will take some passive damage (12%). Spiky Shield can be very useful for scouting and stalling for extra lLeftovers or Leech Seed recovery. Leech Seed inflicts passive damage and offers some extra healing to Chesnaught while encouraging switches, which creates free turns. Hammer Arm is there as a reliable attacking option, and helps Chesnaught deal with many notable pokemon, such as Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is a toss-up between Spikes and Wood Hammer; Spikes is an entry hazard that forces grounded Pokemon to take passive damage upon entry, and is useful for defensive and offensive teams alike. Wood Hammer is an alternative to Spikes, acting as a stronger secondary STAB, but the recoil is undesirable and Grass- has terrible offensive coverage anyway.

Set Details
========

Full investment in HP and Defense along with an Impish nature is used to maximize physical bulk. Leftovers is necessary as Chesnaught does not usually run Synthesis, but if Synthesis is used, Rocky Helmet is an alternative to punish contact moves further. Bulletproof makes Chesnaught immune to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, moves that it would otherwise take heavy damage from, and should always be used instead of Overgrow.

Usage Tips
========

Using Leech Seed often is the best way to go. Passive damage on the opponent and extra healing for you while forcing switches is just amazing. It's recommended to get a Leech Seed up on every opponent. For example, iIf you have a Leech Seed up on a Pokemon that cannot hurt you, it is likely it will switch out, so insteyou should take advantage of using Spiky Shield tothe switches you force and instead set all Leech Seed damage expecting them to stay in, you should take advantage ofor Spikes on the switches you force and instead set a Leech Seed on -in, rathe switch-in or r than uset Spikesy Shield. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move, and should be used on commonly c Choiced p Pokemon such as Keldeo to scout moves and appropriately respond. Spikes should be set mainly on switches that you force with your sheer bulk, but try not to waste time setting them when the opponent can get rid of them. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Likewise, try not to Defog the your own hazards, and use a Rapid Spinner instead. Roar is also a good move to use when you predict a switch, but it's better to use Roar only when you have entry hazards up or when a boosted pPokemon threatens your team. When facing a boosted Pokemon that you can hurt, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage, just go for Hammer Arm and KO. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep Chesnaughtstatus away from it; Taunt can help protect Chesnaught from status.

Team Options
========

Chansey takes powerful special attacks, absorbs and removes status, and can pass wishes, making it one of Chesnaught's best partners. Chesnaught can take on many Steel-types that threaten Chansey, such as Bisharp, Excadrill, and Aegislash. Heatran and Chesnaught resist every one of each other's weaknesses except Fighting-, set hazards, and benefit from Leech Seed greatly, making them excellent partners for each other. Rotom-H is another Pokemon that boasts the similar synergy with Chesnaught, only missing out on Poison- and Psychic-type moves, both of which do not have great offensive coverage. Slowbro and Chesnaught form a solid defensive core together; Slowbro takes on Fire-, Psychic-, and Ice- type moves, while Chesnaught takes Dark- and Electric- type moves, and Chesnaught beats the most threatening Ghost-type attacker, Aegislash. Together, they strongly check Mega-Gyarados, Mega-Tyranitar, and Mega Charizard-X, all of which are extremely powerful and popular mMegas Pokemon. Zapdos covers Chesnaught's greatest weakness, Flying-types, and can also beat Mega Mawile and Azumarill for Chesnaught with Heat Wave and Thunderbolt, respectively.

Other Options
========

Chesnaught can opt for a Bulk Up set, but with Chesnaught's subpar Special Defense and numerous weaknesses, it is not thean ideal user of the move. Belly Drum can be used for a massive boost in Attack, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed or powerful priority to effectively use it. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if the recoil is undesirable. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Sylveon, and Stone Edge hits common Fire- and Flying- type switch- ins such as Talonflame and Charizard, but the former lacks great coverage and the latter lacks reliability, while both are rather weak outside of hitting their targets. Substitute is an option to ease prediction and give Chesnaught a layer of protection against status and strong moves. This can work well in conjunction with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield against foes such as Talonflame: Chesnaught can simply alternate between Leech Seed and Spiky Shield to rack up significant passive damage. However, Chesnaught is too slow to utilize it very effectively, and the loss of health from Substitute can be detrimental to a Pokemon with no recovery. Furthermore, powerful sound-based moves such as Boomburst, Pixilate Hyper Voice, and Bug Buzz nail Chesnaught through Substitute. Pain Split can be used for semi-reliable recovery, especially in the sand, and can weaken healthy switch-ins. Toxic cripples common switch-ins such as Latias, Volcoarona, bulky Talonflame, and Unaware Clefable.

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Flying-type attacks easily take out Chesnaught. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in particular only fear the rare Stone Edge and threaten to boost or OHKO.

**Taunt**: Any Pokemon with Taunt that resists Fighting-type moves, such as Thundurus or Mega Gardevoir, can easily take on Chesnaught.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type attackers, mostly special, roast Chesnaught with their powerful STAB attacks, such as Mega Charizard- Y. Heatran has trouble switching in, and Spiky Shield, Toxic, and Stone Edge can annoy Talonflame, but both beat Chesnaught as well.

**Special Attackers**: Powerful Sspecial Aattackers, such as Landorus, Thundurus, and Latios, can heavily damage Chesnaught with their STAB or coverage moves.

**Entry Hazards**: Even though Chesnaught resists Stealth Rocks, the passive damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes cripple Chesnaught, especially when it doesn't run Synthesis.

** Magic Guard**: Magic Guard users, such as Reuniclus and Clefable, freely set up on Chesnaught.

**Fairy-types**: Sylveon, Clefable, and Mega Gardevoir can switch in easily on Hammer Arm, only fearing the rare Poison Jab, and 2HKO or OHKO Chesnaught with STAB Fairy-type moves, although Mega Gardevoir must watch out for Wood Hammer.

Comments:
Shadow Ball is aegislash's main STAB, and venusaur's secondary STAB. No reason to call them coverage moves

Not supposed to talk about spectrums in regards to physical/special, somewhere in the GP standards

Why do you talk about Roar in the usage tips, you've clearly removed any mention of it in the set comments so might as well do it here too.

Not that great an example of always leech seeding since obvious switches should be punished, and you mention spikes too. And you explain the not spiky shielding thing way too long.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
amcheck

Overview
########
With a rare resistance to the potent EdgeQuake combination, astronomical physical bulk, a wide array of utility moves such as Taunt, Leech Seed, Roar, Spikes, a Spiky Shield, and a solid STAB move in Hammer Arm, Chesnaught is the bomb. Speaking of bombs, Chesnaught's nifty ability Bulletproof makes it immune to some bomb and ball moves, such as Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Focus Blast. Chesnaught is also one of the most reliable defensive Spike Stackers in the tier, allowing defensive teams to rack up passive damage incredibly fast. Thanks to its unique typing and physical bulk, Chesnaught also counters some very potent threats in the tier, such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar. Furthermore, its ability granlets immunity to key coverage moves of important pokemon, so Chesnaught can freely switch into Aegislash or Mega Venusaur without having to worry about Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb, respectively. Chesnaught's great physical bulk, typing, movepool, and ability make it a huge stop to numerous threatening pPokemon in the tier.

While Chesnaught may be covered on the physically spectrum, the special side is where it really suffers. Chesnaught has weaknesses to common specially -based types, such as Fire-, Ice-, Fairy-, Psychic-, and Poison- types. It also has a crippling weakness to Flying-types, and because Hammer Arm is usually its only attack, it is often a free switch-in to big threats like Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Chesnaught is also rather slow, hitting an unimpressive base 64 speed. Additionally, Chesnaught is pretty much shut down by Pokemon with Taunt that resisdon't mind Fighting-type moves, such as Gengar or Thundurus. However, despite its shortcomings and numerous weaknesses, Chesnaught's physical bulk, typing, and movepool makes it a great choice for balanced and stall teams alike.

Physical Tank
########

Moves
========

Spiky Shield is very similar to Protect,; however, if the opponent uses a move that makes contact on twhe turn Chesnaught uses Spiky Shield, the opponent will take some passive damage (12%). Spiky Shield can be very useful for scouting and stalling for extra lLeftovers or Leech Seed recovery. Leech Seed inflicts passive damage and offers some extra healing to Chesnaught while encouraging switches, which creates free turns. Hammer Arm is there as a reliable attacking option, and helps Chesnaught deal with many notable pokemon, such as Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is a toss-up between Spikes and Wood Hammer; Spikes is an entry hazard that forces grounded Pokemon to take passive damage upon entry, and is useful for defensive and offensive teams alike. Wood Hammer is an alternative to Spikes, acting as a stronger secondary STAB, but the recoil is undesirable and Grass- has terrible offensive coverage anyway.

Set Details
========

Full investment in HP and Defense along with an Impish nature is used to maximize physical bulk. Leftovers is necessary as Chesnaught does not usually run Synthesis, but if Synthesis is used, Rocky Helmet is an alternative to punish contact moves further. Bulletproof makes Chesnaught immune to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, moves that it would otherwise take heavy damage from, and should always be used instead of Overgrow.

Usage Tips
========

Using Leech Seed often is the best way to go. Passive damage on the opponent and extra healing for you while forcing switches is just amazing. It's recommended to get a Leech Seed up on every opponent. For example, iIf you have a Leech Seed up on a Pokemon that cannot hurt you, it is likely it will switch out, so insteyou should take advantage of using Spiky Shield tothe switches you force and instead set all Leech Seed damage expecting them to stay in, you should take advantage ofor Spikes on the switches you force and instead set a Leech Seed on -in, rathe switch-in or r than uset Spikesy Shield. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move, and should be used on commonly c Choiced p Pokemon such as Keldeo to scout moves and appropriately respond. Spikes should be set mainly on switches that you force with your sheer bulk, but try not to waste time setting them when the opponent can get rid of them. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Likewise, try not to Defog the your own hazards, and use a Rapid Spinner instead. Roar is also a good move to use when you predict a switch, but it's better to use Roar only when you have entry hazards up or when a boosted pPokemon threatens your team. When facing a boosted Pokemon that you can hurt, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage, just go for Hammer Arm and KO. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep Chesnaughtstatus away from it; Taunt can help protect Chesnaught from status.

Team Options
========

Chansey takes powerful special attacks, absorbs and removes status, and can pass wishes, making it one of Chesnaught's best partners. Chesnaught can take on many Steel-types that threaten Chansey, such as Bisharp, Excadrill, and Aegislash. Heatran and Chesnaught resist every one of each other's weaknesses except Fighting-, set hazards, and benefit from Leech Seed greatly, making them excellent partners for each other. Rotom-H is another Pokemon that boasts the similar synergy with Chesnaught, only missing out on Poison- and Psychic-type moves, both of which do not have great offensive coverage. Slowbro and Chesnaught form a solid defensive core together; Slowbro takes on Fire-, Psychic-, and Ice- type moves, while Chesnaught takes Dark- and Electric- type moves, and Chesnaught beats the most threatening Ghost-type attacker, Aegislash. Together, they strongly check Mega-Gyarados, Mega-Tyranitar, and Mega Charizard-X, all of which are extremely powerful and popular mMegas Pokemon. Zapdos covers Chesnaught's greatest weakness, Flying-types, and can also beat Mega Mawile and Azumarill for Chesnaught with Heat Wave and Thunderbolt, respectively.

Other Options
========

Chesnaught can opt for a Bulk Up set, but with Chesnaught's subpar Special Defense and numerous weaknesses, it is not thean ideal user of the move. Belly Drum can be used for a massive boost in Attack, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed or powerful priority to effectively use it. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if the recoil is undesirable. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Sylveon, and Stone Edge hits common Fire- and Flying- type switch- ins such as Talonflame and Charizard, but the former lacks great coverage and the latter lacks reliability, while both are rather weak outside of hitting their targets. Substitute is an option to ease prediction and give Chesnaught a layer of protection against status and strong moves. This can work well in conjunction with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield against foes such as Talonflame: Chesnaught can simply alternate between Leech Seed and Spiky Shield to rack up significant passive damage. However, Chesnaught is too slow to utilize it very effectively, and the loss of health from Substitute can be detrimental to a Pokemon with no recovery. Furthermore, powerful sound-based moves such as Boomburst, Pixilate Hyper Voice, and Bug Buzz nail Chesnaught through Substitute. Pain Split can be used for semi-reliable recovery, especially in the sand, and can weaken healthy switch-ins. Toxic cripples common switch-ins such as Latias, Volcoarona, bulky Talonflame, and Unaware Clefable.

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Flying-type attacks easily take out Chesnaught. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in particular only fear the rare Stone Edge and threaten to boost or OHKO.

**Taunt**: Any Pokemon with Taunt that resists Fighting-type moves, such as Thundurus or Mega Gardevoir, can easily take on Chesnaught.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type attackers, mostly special, roast Chesnaught with their powerful STAB attacks, such as Mega Charizard- Y. Heatran has trouble switching in, and Spiky Shield, Toxic, and Stone Edge can annoy Talonflame, but both beat Chesnaught as well.

**Special Attackers**: Powerful Sspecial Aattackers, such as Landorus, Thundurus, and Latios, can heavily damage Chesnaught with their STAB or coverage moves.

**Entry Hazards**: Even though Chesnaught resists Stealth Rocks, the passive damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes cripple Chesnaught, especially when it doesn't run Synthesis.

** Magic Guard**: Magic Guard users, such as Reuniclus and Clefable, freely set up on Chesnaught.

**Fairy-types**: Sylveon, Clefable, and Mega Gardevoir can switch in easily on Hammer Arm, only fearing the rare Poison Jab, and 2HKO or OHKO Chesnaught with STAB Fairy-type moves, although Mega Gardevoir must watch out for Wood Hammer.

Implemented, thanks!

Comments:
Shadow Ball is aegislash's main STAB, and venusaur's secondary STAB. No reason to call them coverage moves

Not supposed to talk about spectrums in regards to physical/special, somewhere in the GP standards

Why do you talk about Roar in the usage tips, you've clearly removed any mention of it in the set comments so might as well do it here too.

Not that great an example of always leech seeding since obvious switches should be punished, and you mention spikes too. And you explain the not spiky shielding thing way too long.
Regarding your comments,

Where did I say that shadow ball and sludge bomb were coverage moves of aegislash and mega venu? Can you point it out or something? i can't find it...

Removed the use of "spectrum"

I totally forgot to mention a few moves in the moves section, thanks for reminding me! Mentioned Roar, Taunt, and Synthesis.

Since Chesnaught will often be found on Stall, I just figured the safest and best way to punish a switch-in is to just Leech Seed again. Even if the pokemon that can't hurt you stays in, hey, it can't hurt you, and you're still getting some recovery from it.
I admit I sorta rambled on the spiky shield part, but you shortened it a lot, and newer people need to know how to efficiently utilize Leech Seed and Spiky Shield. Chesnaught is sooooo annoying when the player perfectly predicts when you attack and when you switch, and I was just tryna point that out, because it's important to know.

EDIT: One more thing: How does QC feel about adding low sweep and maybe Rock Tomb in OO? Just some interesting moves to make switch-ins' life a little easier.

Last edited:
It's my birthright to GP this because I am Chesnaught!:]
I'm not actually a GP member, so you can ignore all of this if you want, it's just me practicing.
add - remove - comment
Overview
########
With a rare resistance to the potent EdgeQuake combination, astronomical physical bulk, a wide array of utility moves such as Taunt, Leech Seed, Roar, Spikes, a Spiky Shield, and a solid STAB move in Hammer Arm, Chesnaught is the bomb. Speaking of bombs, Chesnaught's nifty ability Bulletproof makes it immune to some bomb and ball moves, such as Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Focus Blast. Chesnaught is also one of the most reliable defensive Spike Sstackers in the tier, allowing defensive teams to rack up passive damage incredibly fast. Thanks to its unique typing and physical bulk, Chesnaught also counters some very potent threats in the tier, such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar. Furthermore, its ability lets it freely switch into Aegislash or Mega Venusaur without having to worry about Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb, respectively. Chesnaught's great physical bulk, typing, movepool, and ability make it a huge stop to numerous threatening Pokemon in the tier.

While Chesnaught may be covered physically, theits special side is where it really suffers. Chesnaught has weaknesses to common specially -based types, such as Fire-, Ice-, Fairy-, Psychic-, and Poison-types. It also has a crippling weakness to Flying-types, and because Hammer Arm is usually its only attack, it is often a free switch-in to big threats like Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Chesnaught is also rather slow, hitting an unimpressive base 64 speed. Additionally, Chesnaught is pretty much shut down by Pokemon with Taunt that don't mind Fighting-type moves, such as Gengar or Thundurus. However, despite its shortcomings and numerous weaknesses, Chesnaught's physical bulk, typing, and movepool make it a great choice for balanced and stall teams alike.

Physical Tank
########

Moves
========
remove space here
Spiky Shield is very similar to Protect, however, if the opponent uses a move that makes contact when Chesnaught uses Spiky Shield, the opponent will take some passive damage (12%). Spiky Shield can be very useful for scouting and stalling for extra leftoversLeftovers recovery or Leech Seed recovery. Leech Seed inflicts passive damage and offers some extra healing to Chesnaught while encouraging switches, which creates free turns. Hammer Arm is a reliable attacking option, and helps Chesnaught deal with many notable pokemon, such as Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is a toss-up between Spikes and Wood Hammer; Spikes is an entry hazard that forces grounded Pokemon to take passive damage upon entry, and is useful for defensive and offensive teams alike. Wood Hammer is an alternative to Spikes, acting as a stronger secondary STAB, but the recoil is undesirable and Grass- has terrible offensive coverage anyway. Taunt can be used to help keep status away from Chesnaught, most notably from Sub-Toxic combine Sub-Toxic into SubToxic Aegislash, while also preventing sweepers from setting up, but Chesnaught would like a little morelacks the speedSpeed to utilize it effectively. Roar is an option to prevent set up and rack up extra entry hazard damage. Synthesis is a great choice if you want reliable recovery, especially since rain is relatively rare, and Chesnaught beats both of the Sand Stream users, Hippowdon and Tyranitar.

Set Details
========
remove space here

Usage Tips
========
remove space here
Using Leech Seed often is the best way for Chesnaught to go. Passive damage on the opponent and extra healing for youChesnaught you do not get recovery, Chesnaught does :] while forcing switches is just amazing. It's recommended to get a Leech Seed up on every opponent you possibly can. If you have a Leech Seed up on a Pokemon that cannot hurt you, it is likely itthat that the Pokemon will switch out, so you should take advantage of the switches you force and instead set a Leech Seed or set Spikes on the switch-in, rather than using Spiky Shield. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move, and should be used on common Choiced Pokemon such as Keldeo to scout moves and appropriately respond. Spikes should be set mainly on switches that you force with your sheer bulk, but try not to waste time setting them when the opponent can get rid of them. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Likewise, try not to Defog your own hazards, and use a Rapid Spinner instead. Roar is also a good move to use when you predict a switch, but it's better to use Roar only when you have entry hazards up or when a boosted Pokemon threatens your team. When facing two spaces here, remove one of thema boosted Pokemon that you can hurt, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage, just go for Hammer Arm and KO. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep status away from it; Taunt can help protect Chesnaught from status.

Team Options
========
remove choice here
Chansey takes powerful special attacks, absorbs and removes status, and can pass wishes, making it one of Chesnaught's best partners. Chesnaught can take on many Steel-types that threaten Chansey, such as Bisharp, Excadrill, and Aegislash. Heatran and Chesnaught resist every one of each other's weaknesses except Fighting-type, set hazards, and benefit from Leech Seed greatly, making them excellent partners for each other. Rotom-H is another Pokemon that boasts the similar synergy with Chesnaught, only missing out on Poison- and Psychic-type moves, both of which do not have great offensive coverage. Two spaces here again, remove oneSlowbro and Chesnaught form a solid defensive core together;Two spaces here again, remove one Slowbro takes on Fire-, Psychic-, and Ice- type moves while Chesnaught takes Dark- and Electric-remove space heretype moves, and Chesnaught beats the most threatening Ghost-type attacker,: Aegislash. Together, they strongly check Mega- Gyarados, Mega- Tyranitar, and Mega Charizard- X, all of which are extremely powerful and popular Mega Pokemon. Zapdos covers Chesnaught's greatest weakness,: Flying-types, and can also beat Mega Mawile and Azumarill for Chesnaught with Heat Wave and Thunderbolt, respectively.

Other Options
========
remove space here
Chesnaught can opt for a Bulk Up set, but with Chesnaught's subpar Special Defense and numerous weaknesses, it is not an ideal user of the move. Belly Drum can be used for a massive boost in Attack, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed or powerful priority to effectively use it. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if the recoil is undesirable. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Sylveon, and Stone Edge hits common Fire- and Flying-remove space heretype switch ins such as Talonflame and Charizard, but the former lacks great coverage and the latter lacks reliability, while both are rather weak outside of hitting their targets. Substitute is an option to ease prediction and give Chesnaught a layer of protection against status and strong moves. This can work well in conjunction with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield against foes such as Talonflame: Chesnaught can simply alternate between Leech Seed and Spiky Shield to rack up significant passive damage. However, Chesnaught is too slow to utilize it very effectively, and the loss of health from Substitute can be detrimental to a Pokemon with no recovery. Furthermore, powerful sound-based moves such as Boomburst, Pixilate Hyper Voice, and Bug Buzz nail Chesnaught through Substitute. Pain Split can be used for semi-reliable recovery, especially in the sand, and can weaken healthy switch-ins. Toxic cripples common switch-ins such as Latias, Volcarona, bulky Talonflame, and Unaware Clefable.

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Flying-type attacks easily take out Chesnaught. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in particular only fear the rare Stone Edge and threaten to boost or OHKO right away with their STAB moves.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type attackers, mostly special, roast Chesnaught with their powerful STAB attacks, such as Mega Charizard-Y. Heatran has trouble switching in, and Spiky Shield, Toxic, and Stone Edge can annoy Talonflame, but both beat Chesnaught as well.

**Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers, such as Landorus, Thundurus, and Latios can heavily damage Chesnaught with their STAB or coverage moves.

** Magic Guard**: Magic Guard users, such as Reuniclus and Clefable, freely set up on Chesnaught and are immune to Leech Seed thanks to Magic Guard.

Really good analysis man, great job!

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
It's my birthright to GP this because I am Chesnaught!:]
I'm not actually a GP member, so you can ignore all of this if you want, it's just me practicing.
add - remove - comment
Overview
########
With a rare resistance to the potent EdgeQuake combination, astronomical physical bulk, a wide array of utility moves such as Taunt, Leech Seed, Roar, Spikes, a Spiky Shield, and a solid STAB move in Hammer Arm, Chesnaught is the bomb. Speaking of bombs, Chesnaught's nifty ability Bulletproof makes it immune to some bomb and ball moves, such as Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Focus Blast. Chesnaught is also one of the most reliable defensive Spike Sstackers in the tier, allowing defensive teams to rack up passive damage incredibly fast. Thanks to its unique typing and physical bulk, Chesnaught also counters some very potent threats in the tier, such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar. Furthermore, its ability lets it freely switch into Aegislash or Mega Venusaur without having to worry about Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb, respectively. Chesnaught's great physical bulk, typing, movepool, and ability make it a huge stop to numerous threatening Pokemon in the tier.

While Chesnaught may be covered physically, theits special side is where it really suffers. Chesnaught has weaknesses to common specially -based types, such as Fire-, Ice-, Fairy-, Psychic-, and Poison-types. It also has a crippling weakness to Flying-types, and because Hammer Arm is usually its only attack, it is often a free switch-in to big threats like Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Chesnaught is also rather slow, hitting an unimpressive base 64 speed. Additionally, Chesnaught is pretty much shut down by Pokemon with Taunt that don't mind Fighting-type moves, such as Gengar or Thundurus. However, despite its shortcomings and numerous weaknesses, Chesnaught's physical bulk, typing, and movepool make it a great choice for balanced and stall teams alike.

Physical Tank
########

Moves
========
remove space here
Spiky Shield is very similar to Protect, however, if the opponent uses a move that makes contact when Chesnaught uses Spiky Shield, the opponent will take some passive damage (12%). Spiky Shield can be very useful for scouting and stalling for extra leftoversLeftovers recovery or Leech Seed recovery. Leech Seed inflicts passive damage and offers some extra healing to Chesnaught while encouraging switches, which creates free turns. Hammer Arm is a reliable attacking option, and helps Chesnaught deal with many notable pokemon, such as Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is a toss-up between Spikes and Wood Hammer; Spikes is an entry hazard that forces grounded Pokemon to take passive damage upon entry, and is useful for defensive and offensive teams alike. Wood Hammer is an alternative to Spikes, acting as a stronger secondary STAB, but the recoil is undesirable and Grass- has terrible offensive coverage anyway. Taunt can be used to help keep status away from Chesnaught, most notably from Sub-Toxic combine Sub-Toxic into SubToxic Aegislash, while also preventing sweepers from setting up, but Chesnaught would like a little morelacks the speedSpeed to utilize it effectively. Roar is an option to prevent set up and rack up extra entry hazard damage. Synthesis is a great choice if you want reliable recovery, especially since rain is relatively rare, and Chesnaught beats both of the Sand Stream users, Hippowdon and Tyranitar.

Set Details
========
remove space here

Usage Tips
========
remove space here
Using Leech Seed often is the best way for Chesnaught to go. Passive damage on the opponent and extra healing for youChesnaught you do not get recovery, Chesnaught does :] while forcing switches is just amazing. It's recommended to get a Leech Seed up on every opponent you possibly can. If you have a Leech Seed up on a Pokemon that cannot hurt you, it is likely itthat that the Pokemon will switch out, so you should take advantage of the switches you force and instead set a Leech Seed or set Spikes on the switch-in, rather than using Spiky Shield. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move, and should be used on common Choiced Pokemon such as Keldeo to scout moves and appropriately respond. Spikes should be set mainly on switches that you force with your sheer bulk, but try not to waste time setting them when the opponent can get rid of them. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Likewise, try not to Defog your own hazards, and use a Rapid Spinner instead. Roar is also a good move to use when you predict a switch, but it's better to use Roar only when you have entry hazards up or when a boosted Pokemon threatens your team. When facing two spaces here, remove one of thema boosted Pokemon that you can hurt, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage, just go for Hammer Arm and KO. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep status away from it; Taunt can help protect Chesnaught from status.

Team Options
========
remove choice here
Chansey takes powerful special attacks, absorbs and removes status, and can pass wishes, making it one of Chesnaught's best partners. Chesnaught can take on many Steel-types that threaten Chansey, such as Bisharp, Excadrill, and Aegislash. Heatran and Chesnaught resist every one of each other's weaknesses except Fighting-type, set hazards, and benefit from Leech Seed greatly, making them excellent partners for each other. Rotom-H is another Pokemon that boasts the similar synergy with Chesnaught, only missing out on Poison- and Psychic-type moves, both of which do not have great offensive coverage. Two spaces here again, remove oneSlowbro and Chesnaught form a solid defensive core together;Two spaces here again, remove one Slowbro takes on Fire-, Psychic-, and Ice- type moves while Chesnaught takes Dark- and Electric-remove space heretype moves, and Chesnaught beats the most threatening Ghost-type attacker,: Aegislash. Together, they strongly check Mega- Gyarados, Mega- Tyranitar, and Mega Charizard- X, all of which are extremely powerful and popular Mega Pokemon. Zapdos covers Chesnaught's greatest weakness,: Flying-types, and can also beat Mega Mawile and Azumarill for Chesnaught with Heat Wave and Thunderbolt, respectively.

Other Options
========
remove space here
Chesnaught can opt for a Bulk Up set, but with Chesnaught's subpar Special Defense and numerous weaknesses, it is not an ideal user of the move. Belly Drum can be used for a massive boost in Attack, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed or powerful priority to effectively use it. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if the recoil is undesirable. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Sylveon, and Stone Edge hits common Fire- and Flying-remove space heretype switch ins such as Talonflame and Charizard, but the former lacks great coverage and the latter lacks reliability, while both are rather weak outside of hitting their targets. Substitute is an option to ease prediction and give Chesnaught a layer of protection against status and strong moves. This can work well in conjunction with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield against foes such as Talonflame: Chesnaught can simply alternate between Leech Seed and Spiky Shield to rack up significant passive damage. However, Chesnaught is too slow to utilize it very effectively, and the loss of health from Substitute can be detrimental to a Pokemon with no recovery. Furthermore, powerful sound-based moves such as Boomburst, Pixilate Hyper Voice, and Bug Buzz nail Chesnaught through Substitute. Pain Split can be used for semi-reliable recovery, especially in the sand, and can weaken healthy switch-ins. Toxic cripples common switch-ins such as Latias, Volcarona, bulky Talonflame, and Unaware Clefable.

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Flying-type attacks easily take out Chesnaught. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in particular only fear the rare Stone Edge and threaten to boost or OHKO right away with their STAB moves.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type attackers, mostly special, roast Chesnaught with their powerful STAB attacks, such as Mega Charizard-Y. Heatran has trouble switching in, and Spiky Shield, Toxic, and Stone Edge can annoy Talonflame, but both beat Chesnaught as well.

**Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers, such as Landorus, Thundurus, and Latios can heavily damage Chesnaught with their STAB or coverage moves.

** Magic Guard**: Magic Guard users, such as Reuniclus and Clefable, freely set up on Chesnaught and are immune to Leech Seed thanks to Magic Guard.

Really good analysis man, great job!
Implemented most of what's one here, Thanks!!

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########
With a rare resistance to the potent EdgeQuake combination, astronomical physical bulk, a wide array of utility moves such as Taunt, Leech Seed, Roar, Spikes, and Spiky Shield, and a solid STAB move in Hammer Arm, Chesnaught is quite the bomb. Speaking of bombs, Chesnaught's nifty ability Bulletproof makes it immune to some bomb and ball moves, such as Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Focus Blast. Chesnaught It is also one of the most reliable defensive Spike stackers Spikers in the tier, allowing defensive teams to rack up passive damage incredibly fast. Thanks to its unique typing and physical bulk, Chesnaught also counters some very potent threats in the tier, such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar. Furthermore, its ability lets it freely switch into Aegislash or Mega Venusaur without having to worry about Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb, respectively. Chesnaught's great physical bulk, typing, movepool, and ability thus make it a huge stop to numerous threatening Pokemon in the tier.
While Chesnaught may be covered physically, its special side is where it really suffers. However, Chesnaught's poor special bulk is compounded by has weaknesses to common specially-based types, such as Fire, Ice, Fairy, Psychic, and Poison. It also has a crippling weakness to Flying-types, and because Hammer Arm is usually its only attack, it is often offers a free switch-in to big threats like such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Chesnaught is also rather slow, hitting an unimpressive base 64 Speed; it is thus Additionally, Chesnaught is pretty much shut down by fast Pokemon with Taunt that don't mind Fighting-type moves, such as Gengar or Thundurus. However, despite its shortcomings and numerous weaknesses, Chesnaught's physical bulk, typing, and movepool make it a great choice for balanced and stall teams alike.

Physical Tank
########

Moves
========
Spiky Shield is very similar to Protect; (semi-colon) however, if the opponent uses a move that makes contact when Chesnaught uses Spiky Shield, the opponent will take some passive damage (12%). Spiky Shield can be very useful for scouting and stalling for extra Leftovers or Leech Seed recovery. Leech Seed inflicts passive damage and offers some extra healing to Chesnaught while encouraging switches, which creates free turns. Hammer Arm is a reliable attacking option, and helps Chesnaught deal with many notable pokemon, dealing with notable threats such as Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is a toss-up between Spikes and Wood Hammer; Spikes is an entry hazard that forces grounded Pokemon to take passive damage upon entry, and is useful for defensive and offensive teams alike. Wood Hammer is an alternative to Spikes, acting as a stronger secondary STAB, but the recoil is undesirable, (add comma) and Grass has terrible offensive coverage. Taunt can be used to help keep status away from Chesnaught, most notably from Substitute + Toxic Aegislash, while also preventing sweepers from setting up, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed to utilize it effectively. Roar is an option to prevent setup and rack up extra entry hazard damage. Synthesis is a great choice if you want reliable recovery, especially since rain is relatively rare, and Chesnaught beats both of the Sand Stream users, Hippowdon and Tyranitar.

Set Details
========
Full investment in HP and Defense along with an Impish nature is used to maximize physical bulk. Leftovers is necessary as Chesnaught does not usually run Synthesis, but if Synthesis is used, Rocky Helmet is an alternative to punish users of contact moves further. Bulletproof makes Chesnaught immune to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, moves that it would otherwise take heavy damage from, and should always be used instead of Overgrow.

Usage Tips
========
Using Leech Seed often is the best way for Chesnaught to go play. Passive damage on the opponent and extra healing for Chesnaught while forcing switches is just amazing. It's recommended to get a Leech Seed up on every opponent you possibly can. If you Chesnaught has a Leech Seed up on a Pokemon that cannot hurt it you, it is likely that the Pokemon will switch out, so you it should take advantage of the switches you forced and instead set a Leech Seed or set Spikes on the switch-in, rather than using Spiky Shield. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move, and that should be used on common Choice Pokemon such as Keldeo to scout moves and appropriately respond. Spikes should be set mainly on switches that you Chesnuaght forces with your its sheer bulk, but try not to waste time setting them when the opponent can get rid of them. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Likewise, try not to Defog your own hazards, and use a Rapid Spinner spinner instead. Roar is also a good move to use when you predict a switch, but it's better to use Roar its only when you have entry hazards up or when a boosted Pokemon threatens your team. When facing a boosted Pokemon that you Chesnaught can hurt, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage; just go for the KO with Hammer Arm and KO. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep status away from it away from the same; Taunt support can help it in this regard protect Chesnaught from status.

Team Options
========
Chansey takes powerful special attacks, absorbs and removes status, and can pass Wishes, making it one of Chesnaught's best partners. In return, Chesnaught can take on many Steel-types that threaten Chansey, such as Bisharp, Excadrill, and Aegislash. Heatran and Chesnaught resist every one of each other's weaknesses except Fighting-type, set hazards, and benefit from Leech Seed greatly, making them excellent partners for each other. Rotom-H is another Pokemon that boasts the similar synergy with Chesnaught, only missing out on resistances to Poison- and Psychic-type moves, both of which do not have great offensive coverage. Slowbro and Chesnaught form a solid defensive core together; Slowbro takes on Fire-, Psychic-, and Ice-type moves, (add comma) while Chesnaught takes Dark- and Electric-type moves, and Chesnaught and beats the most threatening Ghost-type attacker, Aegislash. Together, they strongly check Mega Gyarados, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Charizard X, all of which are extremely powerful and popular Mega Pokemon. Zapdos covers Chesnaught's greatest weakness, Flying-types, and can also beat Mega Mawile and Azumarill for Chesnaught with Heat Wave and Thunderbolt, respectively.

Other Options
========
Chesnaught can opt for a Bulk Up set, but with Chesnaught's its subpar Special Defense and numerous weaknesses, it is not an ideal user of the move. Belly Drum can be used for a massive boost in Attack, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed or powerful priority to effectively use it. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if the recoil is undesirable. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Sylveon, and Stone Edge hits common Fire- and Flying-type switch-ins such as Talonflame and Charizard, but the former lacks great coverage and the latter lacks reliability, while both are rather weak outside of hitting their targets. Substitute is an option to ease prediction and give Chesnaught a layer of protection against status and strong moves. This can work well in conjunction with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield against foes such as Talonflame: Chesnaught can simply alternate between Leech Seed and Spiky Shield to rack up significant passive damage. However, Chesnaught is too slow to utilize it very effectively, and the loss of health from Substitute can be detrimental to a Pokemon with no recovery. Furthermore, powerful sound-based moves such as Boomburst, Pixilate Hyper Voice, and Bug Buzz nail Chesnaught through Substitute. Pain Split can be used for semi-reliable recovery, especially in the sand, and can weaken healthy switch-ins. Toxic cripples common switch-ins such as Latias, Volcarona, bulky Talonflame, and Unaware Clefable.

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Flying-type attacks easily take out Chesnaught. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in particular only fear the rare Stone Edge and threaten to boost or OHKO with their STAB moves.

**Taunt**: Any Pokemon with Taunt that resists Fighting-type moves, such as Thundurus or and Mega Gardevoir, can easily take on Chesnaught.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type attackers, mostly special, such as Mega Charizard Y, roast Chesnaught with their powerful STAB attacks, such as Mega Charizard-Y. Heatran has trouble switching in, and Spiky Shield, Toxic, and Stone Edge can annoy Talonflame, but both beat Chesnaught as well.

**Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers, such as Landorus, Thundurus, and Latios, (add comma) can heavily damage Chesnaught with their STAB or coverage moves.

**Entry Hazards**: Even though Chesnaught resists Stealth Rock, the passive damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes cripple Chesnaught, especially when it doesn't run Synthesis.

** Magic Guard**: Magic Guard users, such as Reuniclus and Clefable, are immune to Leech Seed and can thus freely set up on Chesnaught, and are immune to Leech Seed due to Magic Guard.

GP 1 / 2

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########
With a rare resistance to the potent EdgeQuake combination, astronomical physical bulk, a wide array of utility moves such as Taunt, Leech Seed, Roar, Spikes, and Spiky Shield, and a solid STAB move in Hammer Arm, Chesnaught is quite the bomb. Speaking of bombs, Chesnaught's nifty ability Bulletproof makes it immune to some bomb and ball moves, such as Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Focus Blast. Chesnaught It is also one of the most reliable defensive Spike stackers Spikers in the tier, allowing defensive teams to rack up passive damage incredibly fast. Thanks to its unique typing and physical bulk, Chesnaught also counters some very potent threats in the tier, such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar. Furthermore, its ability lets it freely switch into Aegislash or Mega Venusaur without having to worry about Shadow Ball or Sludge Bomb, respectively. Chesnaught's great physical bulk, typing, movepool, and ability thus make it a huge stop to numerous threatening Pokemon in the tier.
While Chesnaught may be covered physically, its special side is where it really suffers. However, Chesnaught's poor special bulk is compounded by has weaknesses to common specially-based types, such as Fire, Ice, Fairy, Psychic, and Poison. It also has a crippling weakness to Flying-types, and because Hammer Arm is usually its only attack, it is often offers a free switch-in to big threats like such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Chesnaught is also rather slow, hitting an unimpressive base 64 Speed; it is thus Additionally, Chesnaught is pretty much shut down by fast Pokemon with Taunt that don't mind Fighting-type moves, such as Gengar or Thundurus. However, despite its shortcomings and numerous weaknesses, Chesnaught's physical bulk, typing, and movepool make it a great choice for balanced and stall teams alike.

Physical Tank
########

Moves
========
Spiky Shield is very similar to Protect; (semi-colon) however, if the opponent uses a move that makes contact when Chesnaught uses Spiky Shield, the opponent will take some passive damage (12%). Spiky Shield can be very useful for scouting and stalling for extra Leftovers or Leech Seed recovery. Leech Seed inflicts passive damage and offers some extra healing to Chesnaught while encouraging switches, which creates free turns. Hammer Arm is a reliable attacking option, and helps Chesnaught deal with many notable pokemon, dealing with notable threats such as Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn. The last moveslot is a toss-up between Spikes and Wood Hammer; Spikes is an entry hazard that forces grounded Pokemon to take passive damage upon entry, and is useful for defensive and offensive teams alike. Wood Hammer is an alternative to Spikes, acting as a stronger secondary STAB, but the recoil is undesirable, (add comma) and Grass has terrible offensive coverage. Taunt can be used to help keep status away from Chesnaught, most notably from Substitute + Toxic Aegislash, while also preventing sweepers from setting up, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed to utilize it effectively. Roar is an option to prevent setup and rack up extra entry hazard damage. Synthesis is a great choice if you want reliable recovery, especially since rain is relatively rare, and Chesnaught beats both of the Sand Stream users, Hippowdon and Tyranitar.

Set Details
========
Full investment in HP and Defense along with an Impish nature is used to maximize physical bulk. Leftovers is necessary as Chesnaught does not usually run Synthesis, but if Synthesis is used, Rocky Helmet is an alternative to punish users of contact moves further. Bulletproof makes Chesnaught immune to moves such as Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, moves that it would otherwise take heavy damage from, and should always be used instead of Overgrow.

Usage Tips
========
Using Leech Seed often is the best way for Chesnaught to go play. Passive damage on the opponent and extra healing for Chesnaught while forcing switches is just amazing. It's recommended to get a Leech Seed up on every opponent you possibly can. If you Chesnaught has a Leech Seed up on a Pokemon that cannot hurt it you, it is likely that the Pokemon will switch out, so you it should take advantage of the switches you forced and instead set a Leech Seed or set Spikes on the switch-in, rather than using Spiky Shield. That said, Spiky Shield is still a great move, and that should be used on common Choice Pokemon such as Keldeo to scout moves and appropriately respond. Spikes should be set mainly on switches that you Chesnuaght forces with your its sheer bulk, but try not to waste time setting them when the opponent can get rid of them. Instead, take advantage of these switches by using Leech Seed once more. Likewise, try not to Defog your own hazards, and use a Rapid Spinner spinner instead. Roar is also a good move to use when you predict a switch, but it's better to use Roar its only when you have entry hazards up or when a boosted Pokemon threatens your team. When facing a boosted Pokemon that you Chesnaught can hurt, such as Bisharp, don't waste your time with Leech Seed or Spikes taking unnecessary damage; just go for the KO with Hammer Arm and KO. Chesnaught hates status, so try to keep status away from it away from the same; Taunt support can help it in this regard protect Chesnaught from status.

Team Options
========
Chansey takes powerful special attacks, absorbs and removes status, and can pass Wishes, making it one of Chesnaught's best partners. In return, Chesnaught can take on many Steel-types that threaten Chansey, such as Bisharp, Excadrill, and Aegislash. Heatran and Chesnaught resist every one of each other's weaknesses except Fighting-type, set hazards, and benefit from Leech Seed greatly, making them excellent partners for each other. Rotom-H is another Pokemon that boasts the similar synergy with Chesnaught, only missing out on resistances to Poison- and Psychic-type moves, both of which do not have great offensive coverage. Slowbro and Chesnaught form a solid defensive core together; Slowbro takes on Fire-, Psychic-, and Ice-type moves, (add comma) while Chesnaught takes Dark- and Electric-type moves, and Chesnaught and beats the most threatening Ghost-type attacker, Aegislash. Together, they strongly check Mega Gyarados, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Charizard X, all of which are extremely powerful and popular Mega Pokemon. Zapdos covers Chesnaught's greatest weakness, Flying-types, and can also beat Mega Mawile and Azumarill for Chesnaught with Heat Wave and Thunderbolt, respectively.

Other Options
========
Chesnaught can opt for a Bulk Up set, but with Chesnaught's its subpar Special Defense and numerous weaknesses, it is not an ideal user of the move. Belly Drum can be used for a massive boost in Attack, but Chesnaught lacks the Speed or powerful priority to effectively use it. Seed Bomb can be used over Wood Hammer if the recoil is undesirable. Poison Jab can be used to hit Fairy-types such as Sylveon, and Stone Edge hits common Fire- and Flying-type switch-ins such as Talonflame and Charizard, but the former lacks great coverage and the latter lacks reliability, while both are rather weak outside of hitting their targets. Substitute is an option to ease prediction and give Chesnaught a layer of protection against status and strong moves. This can work well in conjunction with Leech Seed and Spiky Shield against foes such as Talonflame: Chesnaught can simply alternate between Leech Seed and Spiky Shield to rack up significant passive damage. However, Chesnaught is too slow to utilize it very effectively, and the loss of health from Substitute can be detrimental to a Pokemon with no recovery. Furthermore, powerful sound-based moves such as Boomburst, Pixilate Hyper Voice, and Bug Buzz nail Chesnaught through Substitute. Pain Split can be used for semi-reliable recovery, especially in the sand, and can weaken healthy switch-ins. Toxic cripples common switch-ins such as Latias, Volcarona, bulky Talonflame, and Unaware Clefable.

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Flying-type attacks easily take out Chesnaught. Talonflame and Mega Pinsir in particular only fear the rare Stone Edge and threaten to boost or OHKO with their STAB moves.

**Taunt**: Any Pokemon with Taunt that resists Fighting-type moves, such as Thundurus or and Mega Gardevoir, can easily take on Chesnaught.

**Fire-types**: Fire-type attackers, mostly special, such as Mega Charizard Y, roast Chesnaught with their powerful STAB attacks, such as Mega Charizard-Y. Heatran has trouble switching in, and Spiky Shield, Toxic, and Stone Edge can annoy Talonflame, but both beat Chesnaught as well.

**Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers, such as Landorus, Thundurus, and Latios, (add comma) can heavily damage Chesnaught with their STAB or coverage moves.

** Magic Guard**: Magic Guard users, such as Reuniclus and Clefable, are immune to Leech Seed and can thus freely set up on Chesnaught, and are immune to Leech Seed due to Magic Guard.

GP 1 / 2
This has been implemented, thanks for the check!
Just one more and this analysis will be done :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)