SS OU Cellular Nightmare - Peaked #1 (2134)

Ox the Fox

is a Tiering Contributorwon the 8th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Smogon Charity Bowl IV Winner
INTRODUCTION

Hey everyone. Been playing a lot of DLC 2 recently and wanted to showcase one of the best and most consistent teams I've created. I've been finding this meta extremely fun, as it's been constantly adapting and there's still so many innovative sets that haven't been found yet. There's some mons I think are broken like Kyurem-B, Zygarde, and Magearna, but other than Kyurem-B I don't think anything is too outrageously broken. I wanted to post this RMT as a showcase to what balance teams can look like before the likely bans happen, and while the metagame is still relatively fresh. This balance team does a good job exploiting common meta trends by either being able to defend against most things, or have an offensive out vs them. Hope you enjoy the RMT!

1604757865783.png

1604794421021.png
Buzzwole sprite
Spectrier sprite
Mandibuzz sprite
Zygarde (50% Forme) sprite
Heatran sprite
Toxapex sprite

IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS
1604794406747.png

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

Tapu Koko is one of the most reliable balance speed control mons right now. Heavy-duty boots was such a god send for it and allows it to be a great pivot in this meta. This slot used to be Spectrier but I found Tapu Koko was a lot more consistent as it gave me a way to kill Tapu Fini and Toxapex, and provided general longevity with roost. A lot of my games end up being me getting up hazards and slowly chipping the opponent down by pivoting around with Tapu Koko. Thunderbolt and dazzling gleam provide great coverage, and u-turn alleviates prediction vs ground types.

1604689593849.png

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

Buzzwole is a staple glue mon on so many of my balance teams right now due to its ability to check so many threats in the meta including, Kyurem-B, Urshifu, Excadrill, Landorus-T, and Rillaboom. It basically single handedly shuts down the popular HO screens team that's been going around with Zygarde and Kyurem-B, as it hard walls both of those as long as Kyurem-B isn't dual wingbeat. It can struggle offensively, as its hard walled by common mons like Tapu Fini, Clefable, and Toxapex but provides such useful defensive capability it's hard to pass up. It also synergizes well with Spectrier, as Spectrier is able to come in on those previously mentioned mons and sub and/or nasty plot up. The EV spread gives enough speed to outspeed crawdaunt and the rest is dumped into defense to maximize bulk.

1604689622335.png

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Foul Play / U-turn
- Defog

Mandibuzz is one of those solid pivot mons that's always going to be pretty good in the meta. It acts as a ghost resist, primarily checking Spectrier in this meta, as well as defogging and spreading knock off. The EV spread is fairly simple, giving me enough speed to outspeed Crawdaunt and knock off its item before it attacks me, or to u-turn into Buzzwole or Toxapex and have them take the hit instead. The rest of the evs are dumped into spdf, to check spectrier as best as possible.

1604689650988.png

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 200 HP / 84 Atk / 208 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Glare / Toxic

One of the most contentious mons in the current metagame, Zygarde, is something I find borderline broken but not clearly quickban worthy. This is a staple set on Zygarde, and for a good reason. You're able to sub up on a variety of offensive and defensive mons and proceed to spam glares in the early-mid game in order to set up a coil sweep late game. People have been adapting to this set with stuff like Buzzwole or by using a slow pivot mon into something faster that can kill Zygarde, which is why I think toxic is a viable choice over glare. You can toxic mons like buzzwole or Slowking which allows you to beat them long-term much easier. Defensively is where I think Zygarde really starts to shine. It provides an invaluable electric immunity, as well as checking key threats such as Heatran, Tapu Koko, and Blaziken. Speed allows it to outspeed max speed Magearna and the rest is spread between HP, atk, and spdf, in order to optimize bulk and damage.

1604689692477.png

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 136 SpD / 124 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power / Toxic

Heatran has been a staple every generation it's been in, and gen 8 is no exception. It sets up rocks, provides valuable resistances and immunities, and can be a pain to switch in with the combination of magma storm and taunt. Earth power is typically what I use in the last slot, as Toxapex can be a huge pain to deal with otherwise, but toxic is also usable as it has a lot of relevant targets. EV spread is fairly simple, speed allows it to creep those creeping base 60s and rest is dumped into spdf.

1604689712090.png

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 15 Spe
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

One of the most annoying defensive mons to deal with, Toxapex rounds out the team by providing several resistances, knock off, and toxic spikes. Toxic spikes are absurd in this metagame, and puts in work almost every game by forcing your opponent into awkward positioning. I prefer knock off over scald as it toxic spikes tends to status a lot of mons anyways, and I like being able to knock items off. Haze is unfortunately still mandatory in this meta as it's a hard counter to calm mind stored power Magearna and can be useful vs other setup sweepers.. EV spread is a generic mixed spread, while the speed allows it to outslow Marowak-a in TR.

IMPORTABLE

Cellular Nightmare

Attachments

Last edited:
Been having a lot of fun with this team and helped me climb a lot. I have handled most threats with the exception of these two:

Sheer Force Nidoking covers everything and hits all but Buzzwole super effectively with just Earth Power + Ice Beam. I came across a set running Fire Blast which also OHKO'd Buzzwole.

Tapu Fini is similarly hard to beat with Calm Mind + Draining Kiss + Scald. I can haze with Toxapex sometimes, but remain unthreatening. Tapu Fini is the only thing that threatens it back and doesn't enjoy switching into a Scald, especially with boosts.

Thoughts on covering these two special attackers?

Ox the Fox

is a Tiering Contributorwon the 8th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Been having a lot of fun with this team and helped me climb a lot. I have handled most threats with the exception of these two:

Sheer Force Nidoking covers everything and hits all but Buzzwole super effectively with just Earth Power + Ice Beam. I came across a set running Fire Blast which also OHKO'd Buzzwole.

Tapu Fini is similarly hard to beat with Calm Mind + Draining Kiss + Scald. I can haze with Toxapex sometimes, but remain unthreatening. Tapu Fini is the only thing that threatens it back and doesn't enjoy switching into a Scald, especially with boosts.

Thoughts on covering these two special attackers?
Those are definitely two of the biggest threats to the team. Nidoking is extremely annoying, you just have to not let it come in very much as it gets a kill every time. The only real way of dealing with it is knocking it off and then mandibuzz is able to switch in. You can normally hard tapu koko on fini and hope it has no bulk, but that also tends to lose. Mostly I try to get up t spikes first and then force fini to come in on it somehow. You could also try a more offensive variant of buzzwole w/ p jab to hit it hard on switch in --> pex on draining kiss and force rocky damage --> knock it off and slowly chip it down and then revenge with koko.

Nice team Ox, i figured since you get 6-0'd by Orb Nidoking and can struggle against gleam koko why not use sp.def toxic gastro instead of Zygarde? He checks similar mons but he's better against those two (also at checking setup magearna).

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 153-181 (35.9 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 176-208 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

He doesn't even get 2hkoed by non specs grass knot koko lol

Last edited:
Nice team Ox, i figured since you get 6-0'd by Orb Nidoking and can struggle against gleam koko why not use sp.def toxic gastro instead of Zygarde? He checks similar mons but he's better against those two (also at checking setup magearna).

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 153-181 (35.9 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Tapu Koko Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 176-208 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

He doesn't even get 2hkoed by non specs grass knot koko lol
I feel like running gastrodon in this meta would be a bit worse than zygarde lol

Sup bud. Been a long time (like 5 years lmao) since the bof days, for some godawful reason i've been laddering a lot lately and its been good to run into you occasionally. I was actually looking for that sun team I've been seeing a lot of and stumbled upon this. Just wanted to say its a really nice team, I have been spamming the mandy / buzz / tran / pex combo since the drop of DLC2 and its really quite fantastic. On my version I was running CB Zyg because it checks so much with its great bulk and espeed, and specs trick latios as my breaker over koko. I really like Koko here, I'm a bit partial to latios as I love the raw power and it helps with nidos, venu, etc. but I will admit having to outplay CM fini to trick it was a bit of a pain. Either way the star of the show is really tspikes + the defensive core in my eyes, and its pretty cool to see you also landed on the same combination I did.

I do think this team can struggle a bit vs bulky grounds with toxic, and this is exacerbated a bit with koko. I'm curious if you toyed with your defensive moves on the main core and what you prefer. On Mandy I tried a lot of different things between FP, Knock, Taunt, Tox, etc. and rn I really think you might like toxic, being able to force out lando/hippo, pressure torn/zap etc is nice. Having tox on tran can be really nice too, I actually started with rocks magma ep tox and lately have been dropping rocks completely for taunt. I'm also curious how well BU Buzz has been for you, i like that it can very consistently handle zarude (even though it should win that regardless), but as a wincon seemed weak to me so I ended up opting for 3atk instead.

Have you tried updating this team post kyub/zyg bans? I toyed a bit with SD Grav Lando > Zyg and its been good fun.

Ox the Fox

Sup bud. Been a long time (like 5 years lmao) since the bof days, for some godawful reason i've been laddering a lot lately and its been good to run into you occasionally. I was actually looking for that sun team I've been seeing a lot of and stumbled upon this. Just wanted to say its a really nice team, I have been spamming the mandy / buzz / tran / pex combo since the drop of DLC2 and its really quite fantastic. On my version I was running CB Zyg because it checks so much with its great bulk and espeed, and specs trick latios as my breaker over koko. I really like Koko here, I'm a bit partial to latios as I love the raw power and it helps with nidos, venu, etc. but I will admit having to outplay CM fini to trick it was a bit of a pain. Either way the star of the show is really tspikes + the defensive core in my eyes, and its pretty cool to see you also landed on the same combination I did.

I do think this team can struggle a bit vs bulky grounds with toxic, and this is exacerbated a bit with koko. I'm curious if you toyed with your defensive moves on the main core and what you prefer. On Mandy I tried a lot of different things between FP, Knock, Taunt, Tox, etc. and rn I really think you might like toxic, being able to force out lando/hippo, pressure torn/zap etc is nice. Having tox on tran can be really nice too, I actually started with rocks magma ep tox and lately have been dropping rocks completely for taunt. I'm also curious how well BU Buzz has been for you, i like that it can very consistently handle zarude (even though it should win that regardless), but as a wincon seemed weak to me so I ended up opting for 3atk instead.

Have you tried updating this team post kyub/zyg bans? I toyed a bit with SD Grav Lando > Zyg and its been good fun.
Hey man, good hearing from you again, been so long since BOF was big. I honestly haven't played this team at all since I posted the RMT so I appreciate you commenting on it and giving me inspiration to update it for the new meta. I played a few games this morning with a defensive lando-t > zygarde which frees up tran from running rocks, and toxic on mandibuzz and I really like how it functions now. I think buzzwole can be replaced now without the need to check zygarde and kyub, and I was trying out a few different options like pheromosa and kartana which were both working pretty well. I think it's interesting that you ended up using 3 atks buzzwole as that's the set I was using towards the end of zygarde kyub meta. I was using a max atk ice punch drain eq variant with future sight support that really picks apart a lot of fat teams while still countering things like excadrill, kartana, and urshifu. I was mostly using bulk up here to somewhat prevent zygarde from glaring buzzwole and then immediately having kyurem-black come in afterwards and cheese a kill through paras.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)