SV OU CB tusk balance

With the recent updates to the mega, there have been pro 2 main styles of teams that i see: offensive walking wake teams, usually with sun, and really fat teams utilizing the unaware trio. Because of this, I decided that choice band great tusk sounded incredibly powerful, able to break trough almost any wall with his superb coverage and monstrous attack. He can also abuse opponents sun, coming in on torkoal and firing off huge headlong rushes. However, offensive tusk has always had his problems: he invites in a lot of fast and strong special attackers, such as the recently added walking wake or genenja, and in the CB set specifically, both of his stab have common immunity’s in flying and ghost. That’s why I built the rest of this team to support him to his full potential. Here’s the paste:

984-0.png

Piano Man (Great Tusk) @ Choice Band

Ability: Protosynthesis

Tera Type: Ground

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Headlong Rush

- Knock Off

- Rapid Spin

- Close Combat

The star of the show, choice band tusk is one of the hardest hitters available in the current meta. He can abuse a lot of fat mons like garg, clod, and corvinknight by coming in and threatening a 1-2hko on almost everything. Headlong rush and close combat are devastating stab option, rapid spin is for hazard removal, which we lack, and knock off was chosen over ice spinner for air balloon gholdengo trying to switch in, and for knocking off boots against teams that are weak to hazards.

199-0.png

River of Dreams (Slowking) @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Regenerator

Tera Type: Water

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

Sassy Nature

IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

- Future Sight

- Surf

- Chilly Reception

- Slack Off

Next up is the ultimate support Mon for tusk, Slowking! Slowking is incredibly synergistic with great tusk, because he can wall hits from wake and other special attackers, and he can use future sight to pressure bulkier teams, who will try to use dark types that get demolished by CC from tusk. Boots are nice for pivoting a lot, surf is a good damaging option, and chilly reception allows you to pivot into an offensive piece of the team without taking any chip. The EVs are mostly spdef for wake.

1000-0.png

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Good as Gold

Tera Type: Flying

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Make It Rain

- Shadow Ball

- Recover

- Trick

I knew right off the bat that I would want some speed control, and scarf gholdengo was the first thing that came to mind. It’s fast, strong, and synergizes well defensively with our team(what steel/ghost typing does to a dude). EVs and set are pretty standard, and I went with Tera flying because I really liked it after I tricked against ting lu, garg, and clod.

1003-0.png

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers

Ability: Vessel of Ruin

Tera Type: Poison

EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD

Impish Nature

- Spikes

- Whirlwind

- Ruination

- Earthquake

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Ting-lu was added because I wanted hazards for tusk to abuse, and because he was good into pult and greninja, who were looking like huge problems. The set is very standard, and I got the EVs from Dex on the smogon discord.

911-0.png

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Unaware

Tera Type: Fairy

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

Calm Nature

- Torch Song

- Hex

- Will-O-Wisp

- Slack Off

The team seemed like it could be weak to dnite, volc, valiant, and other set up sweepers, so dirge was the logical choice. I go back and forth between a more physically defensive spread for earthquake nite, and a more specially defensive spread for Tera ground volc, but ultimately I decided the latter was better because the next Pokémon could also deal with nite. The set is, once again, mostly standard, I chose hex over Tera blast because I felt like the extra damage was worth it over coverage against roaring moon specifically.

591-0.png

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Regenerator

Tera Type: Steel

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Bold Nature

- Giga Drain

- Sludge Bomb

- Clear Smog

- Spore

Amoongus has very good defensive synergy with the team, as he completes the fire-water-grass core, and he can absorb toxic spikes for ting-Lu. I went for a more physically defensive spread because of the aforementioned dragonite. I use Giga drain for damage and recovery, sludge bomb for when I want damage and toxic, clear smog for nite, and spore because it’s amazing. Item is rocky helmet, but I could change it to cloak for garg. Tera steel is nice to randomly survive a move you would normally be weak to.

So that’s the team! Thanks for reading this, and I hope you have a nice day!

A thing I've noticed is that you have no Stealth rock user; You can use Ting-Lu as one.

Replace Recover for Focus Blast; The accuracy is low, but with that, Gholdengo can deal with Kingambit, the most threatening physical attacker in the meta.

The tera types you chose are not very good.
Great Tusk = Tera Ground or Poison
Slowbro = Tera Fairy or Dark
Gholdengo = Tera Fighing or Flying

Other than that, good team!
I hope you have a good day too!

If you're going to utilize rapid spin, I would switch that band to boots, personally. I also prefer Twave to slack off but that is my preference. I find myself switching slowking too often to really make use of slack off (and you might too in the end), but a surprise para has for sure changed the tides for me now and then.

Similarly to that, if you're going with a speedy attacking gholden go then you also might find more use in nasty plot over recover. I would be surprised if you survived long enough to utilize recover but a surprise nasty plot can indeed win you games. Your build isn't really geared toward recover. If you want to use recover then I would do a full hp/ spatk ghold with leftovers but that's up to you.

I would also swap spikes for stealth rocks or ruination for stealth rocks. But in all honesty, the set is good and useful. (Maybe add stealth rocks to tusk instead of close combat and go equake instead of headlonging rush but thats all up to you and how many hazards you want to try and set up).

If you are worried about hazards, then boots on skele is good. If you think you will be able to over yourself with removing them then switch to leftovers.

Foul play for sludge bomb, trust me.

I would tera ground tusk, dark slowbro, water amoongus, and flying ghold too. But that also really depends on how you want to use these mons in the future. I typically tera steel tusk but my tusk is usually defensive.

All in all it's a good team and everything I am telling you, you would have figured out eventually.

Any-whoozer, good luck! Get those phatt dubs, friend-o :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)