CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 9 (Ability Poll 2)

What should the Primary Ability be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Break the Mold-Click here to see the full post.
latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Type: Rock

Offensive/Defensive Bias: Offensive 20-40
Physical/Special Bias: Special -20 and lower
Base Stat Rating: Very Good
Base Stats:90/60/65/120/70/130 Speed Last

Art By yourDeadGrandad

6 Option clicky poll for one day. Once again, if you don't have anything productive for conversation, please don't post.

I went with Aftermath as there aren't too many pokes with that ability and plus we are supposed to be creating a pokemon that breaks the mold and imo levitate is just to common with rock types.

I really want to see creative use of Technician. We could give it Mud-Shot and Icy Wind for speed lowering. Giga Drain for mild healing. Vacuum Wave for priority. Dragon breath for dragon-typed-discharge. All sorts of unique moves become viable with technician.

There is NO other SPECIAL Technician user. There are plenty of levitators.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I went with Aftermath as there aren't too many pokes with that ability and plus we are supposed to be creating a pokemon that breaks the mold and imo levitate is just to common with rock types.
Exactly 2 Rock types get Levitate. However, there are 0 Rock types with Aftermath and Technician.

Im going with aftermath, its usefull but not too usefull at the same time. Dont want technician at all cost

I'd like aftermath, but I want to wait and see how things go before I vote, if Technician is in second place, I wouldn't want to vote for aftermath if it was in the lead, I'd vote for third place to knock out technician =/
Aftermath because not many pokemon have it, let alone special sweepers/rock types, and it's a cool useable but not very useable ability

Although the concept Breaking the Mold was originally supposed to apply only to the Typing, the community seems to have adopted 'let's break the mold' as a mantra throughout CAP5.

With that in mind, do we really have to have another pokemon with Levitate? BORING. Yes it's a useful ability but also completely passive.

I think many of you are only voting Levitate because it fits with the art. I've yet to see many posts providing other reasoning.

The other issue with Levitate is that it's practically a Gamefreak rule of thumb that Levitate means No Secondary Ability. The only exception is Bronzong, who gets to choose which weakness to eliminate, either way it is designed to have one weakness and a shitload of resistances. That's a pretty unique situation and I reckon we should have a very good reason if we give this Levitate AND something else.

As other posters have stated, Technician is significantly Breaking the Mold here. It is of course, a wonderfully creative ability giving a lot more competitively viable moves to the movepool. It's also Not Overpowered.

I would like to come out and say that Technician is a terrible choice. Not because of what it does on its own, but because by selecting it we're basically cementing in place that Ancientpower will be this Pokemon's primary attack (if we made an alternate base 60 special rock attack and used that instead of Ancientpower, I would gladly support it, but that doesn't seem to be the way people have been thinking), and Ancientpower's 10% chance of boosting every stat is going to raise all sorts of hell in the form of people complaining about hax. Can you imagine what it would be like if Heatran had a 10% chance of raising all stats one stage every time it used Fire Blast? Or Gyarados having that same chance every time it uses Waterfall? Obviously, 10% is a small chance, but it WILL happen at times, and when it does, the person using CaP 5 suddenly gets a huge advantage, one that could easily cost the opponent the game. You don't see Ancientpower or Ominous Wind used in competitive play much because there are very few Pokemon that don't have some better move to use in the same spot, so there's nothing that really shows people how devastating that 10% chance could be, but it's better to be safe than sorry here.

Therefore, I'm imploring all those who want to keep the influence of luck out of competitive play as much as possible to vote for Levitate. At current, it's the one with the best chance of winning over Technician, and it turns CaP 5 into an excellent Heatran check. Breaking the Mold is cool, but it doesn't need to be the basis for every decision we make regarding this Pokemon, and it certainly shouldn't override common sense.

0 special attackers in general have technician. They're all physical. Technician breaks the mold even more than mold breaker does.
That's not important; the fact that no/few special attackers have technician is completely irrelevant, because Break the Mold is "An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.", not the stereotypes of its stats. If you wanted to say that the fact that no rock types have technician and due to that Technician would break the mold, that would make sense, but that's obviously not what you're saying. (Actually, you're incorrect in saying that there aren't any special Tech users, too. Persian has Technician and with Swift, Icy Wind, and Hidden Power, and can make quite good use of it in UU.)

Levitate, it's a solid choice that provides him with a much needed immunity. The other one will be more of a tossup so I figured I'd vote levitate and get it out of the way first.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Technician really increases the variety of this Pokemon. It allows it to have a decent strength STAB move (90 base power STAB Ancientpower). However, even with this boost to its main STAB attack, it still isn't anything overly powerful or broken. As a comparison, on average Gengar's Shadow Ball is stronger than CAP5's Ancientpower if both Pokemon have the same natures and hold item.
The 10% chance of Ancientpower's secondary effect happening is so pathetically small that it will very rarely occur in the 8PP Max that Ancientpower has. And even if it does, there is still absolutely nothing this pokemon will be able to do to get past Blissey (bar perhaps Explosion or Head Smash, which don't count because CAP5 dies as well, and will not necessarily find their way into its movepool). If you are not convinced, then take a look at the following:

Timid CAP5 +1SpA w Life Orb & Technician Ancientpower vs Calm 0/176 Blissey -25% - 29%

I can't see it being broken when Blissey puts such a full stop on it's attacks.
One more thing to note about Ancientpower: since Ancientpower is effectively useless on everything else, it will become the trademark attack of this Pokemon, much like Tri Attack on Porygon-Z or Aerial Ace on Scyther or Bullet Punch on Scizor. Not only does this add a lot flavour-wise, but it also brings a competitively unseen move to light.

An even more enticing thing about Technician is the amazing variety of attacks CAP5 will be able to run. It allows it to run a set of Special attacks very effectively - the Hidden Powers. It can run any HP with a power of 60 and have it turn into a base 90 special attack.
This means plenty of very new and original attacks such as HP Fight 60 being just as strong as Aura Sphere, and being able to use attacking types it might not be able to otherwise (such as Bug, Flying, Grass, Water, etc.)
Also, we could have CAP5 use other competitively unseen moves such as Dragonbreath, Giga Drain, Icy Wind, Mud Shot, Ominous Wind, Silver Wind, Swift, Water Pulse, etc, and have CAP5 use these moves as if it had STAB on them.

All in all, Technician expands the horizons for this pokemon in so many ways - completely breaking the mold by having a powerful, varied and effective special sweeper.

<

Here is a quick list of moves that will benefit from technician, listed after potential usefulness (my opinion):

Hidden Power!
AncientPower/Omnious Wind/Silver Wind
Icy Wind/Mud Shot
Vacuum Wave
Aerial Ace/Magical Leaf/Shock Wave/Swift
Giga Drain
Chatter (lol)
Water Pulse
Weather Ball (if there is no weather)
Flame Wheel < Flamethrower, except FW have more PP
confusion (more lol)
Uproar

First of all Hidden Power and Ancient Power will own... There have been so much discussion about these (especially AP) so I won't go further into that.
After that we have the other 10% +1 in all moves, Icy Wind/Mud Shot, never miss moves, Giga Drain and Chatter that would be overly powerful with tech. The other moves are also to be considered, but not that important...
I feel that if we give it technician it will be a little to awesome, and ofcourse you can say we could leave out some, but then the whole point of technician is kinda lost...
So my point is that a special sweeping tech poké shouldn't be this powerful to begin with. While a special move using poké with technician certainly would be cool, I don't think it should go with this guy.

And also, listen to Fishin.

Technician

I vote it mainly on aesthetics as I feel it fits the sprite more and is more creative than levitate. I mean, sure levitate seems to fit more. Though, it's alien look also gives it a more technical look, and because we already have a lot of pokemon that float around and have levitate. Well, levitate's only to be expected. Technician fits the artwork just as well as levitate and gives it a more creative "aura". When people switch to it, they'll expect levitate, though they'll see Technician instead, which will be, well, as I've stated, quite more creative and different than those other floating pokemon.

Regardless, though, I think that, if possible, levitate should be a second option.

In addition to that, as others have stated, Technician does have its uses in battle. Especially for a pokemon like it. Ancient Power+STAB+Technician would definitely be quite a kick. Though, I won't repeat what they've stated.

So yeah, I'm basically voting for Technician because it emphasizes its "technical" look (which will be overlooked if it has levitate), and for helping it out in battle.

That's not important; the fact that no/few special attackers have technician is completely irrelevant, because Break the Mold is "An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.", not the stereotypes of its stats. If you wanted to say that the fact that no rock types have technician and due to that Technician would break the mold, that would make sense, but that's obviously not what you're saying. (Actually, you're incorrect in saying that there aren't any special Tech users, too. Persian has Technician and with Swift, Icy Wind, and Hidden Power, and can make quite good use of it in UU.)
To the part about typing, I can see your point.

To the bit about Persian, I can look at the base 65 special attack.

tennisace

To the bit about Persian, I can look at the base 65 special attack.
Note that 65 is more than a lot of things in UU, and that Persian also gets Nasty Plot. But this isn't about Persian, this is about CAP 5.

I picked aftermath because, even though i didn't pick it before, i feel differently about it now that i look at it with a wider point of view.
Aftermath will not make this pokemon broken, and neither will levitate.
It's too bad that aftermath is behind ._.

Voted Aftermath, because it fits that guy, is rare and is also useful.
Technician would be my other choice, but like Fishin, I really don't want to see every single Rockguy carrying Ancientpower and boosting stats everywhere.
I wouldn't choose Levitate because, as it's been said a lot of times, it would not break the mold. A lot of monsters get it (including two rocks, one of them being already Special-orientated) and it would make it too easy to set this guy up. Yeah, it loooks floaty. But so do the magnets.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I would like to come out and say that Technician is a terrible choice. Not because of what it does on its own, but because by selecting it we're basically cementing in place that Ancientpower will be this Pokemon's primary attack (if we made an alternate base 60 special rock attack and used that instead of Ancientpower, I would gladly support it, but that doesn't seem to be the way people have been thinking)
No.

If anything, we could just NOT give it Ancientpower. And let it play with HP Rock 59-60. Which would become HP Rock 88.

There you go; the Tech boost from Ancientpower, and the amazing (nonexistant) effect from Power Gem. The best of two worlds!

I love how Technician and Levitate were neck to neck until I voted.

Also, we can always make a new 90 power rock type move considering that the option is open to us if we so desire.

EDIT: Thanks from Legacy Raider I guess...

Here is a quick list of moves that will benefit from technician.

Hidden Power!
AncientPower/Omnious Wind/Silver Wind
Icy Wind/Mud Shot
Vacuum Wave
Aerial Ace/Magical Leaf/Shock Wave/Swift
Giga Drain
Chatter (lol)
Water Pulse
Weather Ball (if there is no weather)
Flame Wheel < Flamethrower, except FW have more PP
confusion (more lol)
Uproar
The bolded moves are all learnable by TM or tutor, thus preventing them from detracting from the usable moves learned through level-up etc.
This pokemon, being genderless, will have no egg moves. Rock Polish is also a TM move.

It only needs Ancientpower by level-up to be pretty good, and that gives it a pretty decent movepool with technician.
Also, I doubt Tech'd Giga Drain would be that broken, because grass pokemon get it now and yet seldom run it even with STAB.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No.

If anything, we could just NOT give it Ancientpower. And let it play with HP Rock 59-60. Which would become HP Rock 88.
s!
That defies one of the major selling points of Technician, which is the ability to use a wide variety of Hidden Power types effectively. By forcing it to use HP Rock simply to have a powerful STAB attack defeats this purpose.

EDIT: Thumbs up to Darkflagrance =).

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
That defies one of the major selling points of Technician, which is the ability to use a wide variety of Hidden Power types effectively. By forcing it to use HP Rock simply to have a powerful STAB attack defeats this purpose.

EDIT: Thumbs up to Darkflagrance =).
Then, give it other moves that make it not need Hidden Power that much. Shockwave, Icy Wind, lol Dragonbreath, Acid, Explosion...

Either that or we create a 60 BP Rock move with no "broken" effect. What would it have? Never-miss? 10% of flinch? NOTHING?

Well, not the place to discuss it.

EDIT: ...Or the 90 BP Rock move. But Technician would boost other moves, like the ones I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)