CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 9.5 (Secondary Ability Poll 1)

What should the Secondary Ability be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why would you use Technician Air Cutter on Shaymin when you have Tech-AncientPower or Tech-HP[Ice] with 60 Power or Ice Beam? Plus, it can be quite deadly if HP[Ice] 60 is used on a Shaymin along with SR damage.
Because I was talking about Land Form and Air Cutter is more powerful than Ancintpower in such a scenario. Obviously against Sky Form you use AP or Ice.

With my first choice Levitate winning the first poll, but my secondary choice Sniper not even making it to the finals, for the 2nd poll I didn't know who to side for.

I chose no 2nd ability. It was the arguments for it that were presented which persuaded me towards this answer. (Also, currenty NSA is winning over Aftermath... and really flavor-wise I don't see how aftermath would work, there's nothing to indicate Rockmon will blow up if hit just right, while with its disconnected-ness Limber fits a lot better...)

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eh, I dunno. With 120/130 stats does it really need any more help? I voted No Secondary Ability. It can be a top tier OU without Technician, tyvm. But if there has to be one it's Technician as Technician is cool.

I vote Technician. People, remember Ancient Power is 8PP. 8PP means one resist switchin in can destroy your sweeping potential. Yes the random boost is scary but not insurmountable. Using AP basically forbids choice specs or scarf, so that alone takes some of the bite out of it.

Voted for Limber for purely flavour reasons. The thing doesn't look capable of being paralysed and we have a damn good ability in Leviate that most people are going to be using anyway. I believe Limber can be a nice surprise.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
mmmm....
I am torn as to which to support...

I very much like the idea of having a CaP with only one ability, and think that Levitate will overshadow Technician anyway if we give this thing a solid movepool (Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, >90 BP Special Rock STAB)... And I am afraid that if it gets Tech people will not want to give it those moves to make Tech more viable.

On the other hand I do like the idea of having a 90 BP move for any type running of 120 SpA, and Giga Drain would be cool... It would make counters and checks much rarer, but you would be able to use only one...
And having a secondary ability can't hurt (Other than the "Only Bronzong get a secondary ability with Levitate" thing.. but meh.)

I do not think that Tech would be broken, or a Rock Draco Meteor clone.

Unless we go REALLY overboard from here on this thing should turn out to be a decent choice for a sweeper, and have a place in OU without ever needing to be considered for revising.

There is one way to prevent Technician, which is to make sure it remains below 50%, then another poll will be held and it would basically be Technician vs people who do not want Technician (the way it is now, No Secondary Ability will be the other option in that final poll). I've changed sides to not wanting Technician, because it leaves a lot of people terribly dissatisfied, and I don't care a lot myself.

There is one way to prevent Technician, which is to make sure it remains below 50%, then another poll will be held and it would basically be Technician vs people who do not want Technician (the way it is now, No Secondary Ability will be the other option in that final poll). I've changed sides to not wanting Technician, because it leaves a lot of people terribly dissatisfied, and I don't care a lot myself.
Either way, a lot of people will not be satisfied...

They say that innovation is difficult, because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new.

This coolness arises partly from fear of the opponents, who have reaped the benefits of the old ways, and partly from the incredulity of the rest, who do not readily believe in new things until they have had a long experience of them.

We have the chance to do something new for the metagame, and frankly with only Levitate this thing will look just like a weaker Alakazam (without even Trick as a saving grace!).

Technician Special Sweeper!!!

(credits to Niccolo)

I voted for Technician. I would have voted for it before, but I felt that Levitate was better. And Technician would give the pokemon a good dichotomy, either you get the ability to switch in on a powerful attack you are immune to or have some boosted attacks but can only come in on weak attacks or revenge kills.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This will probably have a better STAB, more varied attacking movepool (Earth Power? All the elemental beams? New strong Special Rock STAB? Yes please!), significantly higher speed, an immunity to a common type (gogo levitate), better defences, and hopefully Explosion over Alakazam.

I know Zam is BL.. but this does have quite a few advantages...

Still unsure as to what to support...

What bothers me about technician is that, if it gets that 90+ new rock move, what, besides giga drain (barring hail/life orb damage, chances aren't very high drain'll keep it alive much longer. See topic; defence) and HP (for which the need can be remedied by the movepool) does tech offer? I feel that if it does get tech, people will have to take out moves such as ice beam and thunderbolt to give CaP5 a reason to choose technician over levitate. Cause face it, if they aren't taken out, people will not sacrifice an immunity for pp.

What bothers me about technician is that, if it gets that 90+ new rock move, what, besides giga drain (barring hail/life orb damage, chances aren't very high drain'll keep it alive much longer. See topic; defence) and HP (for which the need can be remedied by the movepool) does tech offer? I feel that if it does get tech, people will have to take out moves such as ice beam and thunderbolt to give CaP5 a reason to choose technician over levitate. Cause face it, if they aren't taken out, people will not sacrifice an immunity for pp.
Why would we FORCE people to use Intimidate? Just because it gets Technician does not mean we MUST nerf the heck out of its non-Tech movepool.

Go Technician! Almost 50%!

Ancientpower/Earth Power/two of Air Cutter, Giga Drain, and Hidden Power is a good Tech moveset, and Power Gem/Earth Power/beam moves is a good Levitate set. One ability will not overshadow another, some people like power and some like switchin ability, like with Syclant.

people again, I will say, dont base your vote on possible move sets. All you can say right now is hidden power. please read previous pages for my explanation.

@ Gothic Togekiss

Wouldn't it be better to have HP Ice 60? Since Technician can make its power to 90 rather than the 70 normal power.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
@ Gothic Togekiss

Wouldn't it be better to have HP Ice 60? Since Technician can make its power to 90 rather than the 70 normal power.
Actually, theres an article about this on-site. To boil it down: Its best to have a Hidden Power of 59 base power, because it only affects one IV. If you want to get a Hidden Power of 60 base power, it affects four or more, including speed and special attack. The only IV that is affected with Hidden Power 59 is special attack unfortunately, but its a small power drop with a 28 IV and 89 base power with Technician.

@ Gothic Togekiss

That would depends on if the boost was worth it. What's the point of having a boosted HP [Ice] when a normal HP [Ice] already kills many of the Ice weak Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)