CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 3 (Secondary Typing Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Break the Mold- Click here to see the full post.

latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Primary Type: Rock

Now we're getting somewhere! Rock had a decisive victory over Electric in the last poll, so it is our new primary type.

Now, onto secondary typing! This will be done via bold voting. Everyone has two votes. The first vote being worth twice as much as the second. If your vote is not bolded or in the correct format it will not count.

BEASTace said:
Choice 1: Ten
Choice 2: Nis

<reasoning>

No secondary type is an option, Rock is not. Any other type is an option.

Thank you G_T once again:

Code:
Rock 
Weakness: Grass, Fighting, Water, Ground, Steel
Resistances: Normal, Fire, Poison, Flying

Rock/Fire
Weakness: Fighting, Water (x4), Ground (x4), Rock
Resistances: Normal, Fire (x4), Ice, Poison, Flying, Bug

Rock/Water
Weakness: Grass (x4), Electric, Ground, Fighting
Resistances: Normal, Fire (x4), Ice, Poison, Flying

Rock/Electric
Weakness: Ground (x4), Grass, Fighting, Water
Resistances: Normal, Fire, Electric, Poison, Flying (x4)

Rock/Grass
Weakness: Ice, Fighting, Bug, Steel
Resistances: Normal, Electric

Rock/Ice
Weakness: Fighting (x4), Ground, Steel (x4), Water, Grass, Rock
Resistance: Normal, Ice, Poison, Flying

Rock/Fighting
Weakness: Ground, Fighting, Steel, Water, Grass, Psychic
Resistance: Dark, Rock, Bug, Normal, Fire, Poison

Rock/Poison
Weakness: Ground (x4), Water, Psychic, Steel
Resistance: Normal, Fire, Flying, Bug, Poison (x4)

Rock/Ground
Weakness: Ground, Fighting, Water (x4), Grass (x4), Steel, Ice
Resistance: Normal, Fire, Poison (x4), Flying, Rock
Immunities: Electric

Rock/Flying
Weakness: Electric, Ice, Rock, Water, Steel
Resistances: Normal, Fire, Poison, Bug, Flying
Immunities: Ground

Rock/Psychic
Weakness: Ghost, Dark, Bug, Water, Grass, Ground, Steel
Resistance: Normal, Fire, Poison, Psychic, Flying

Rock/Bug
Weakness: Steel, Water, Rock
Resistance: Normal, Poison

Rock/Ghost
Weakness: Dark, Ghost, Water, Grass, Ground, Steel
Resistance: Fire, Flying, Bug, Poison (x4)
Immunities: Normal, Fighting

Rock/Dragon
Weakness: Dragon, Fighting, Ground, Ice, Steel
Resistances: Electric, Fire (x4), Poison, Flying

Rock/Dark
Weakness: Fighting (x4), Bug, Water, Grass, Steel, Ground
Resistance: Normal, Fire, Dark, Ghost, Poison, Flying
Immunities: Psychic

Rock/Steel
Weakness: Fighting (x4), Ground (x4), Water
Resistance: Fire, Ice, Flying (x4), Normal (x4), Psychic, Bug, Ghost, Dragon, Dark
Immunities: Poison

Choice 1: Fight
Choice 2: Ground

For the secondary type to stick with the concept, we need to choose a type that has a similar 'mold' as rock. In this case, the mold seems to be slow, bulky, physical. Fighting and Ground are two types that I think fit with this mold as well, so that if we, for example, make this guy fast, frail, special, we truly are breaking the mold. CAP is, after all, now based on the concept that we the community selected.

Oooohh, this is tough. I am leaning towards fighting, but I feel like I should wait to hear some arguments first.

I'd rather it be just Rock, not sure for the secondary vote. I'd rather not repeat Ice, Bug, Fighting, Ghost, Fire, Grass, Poison or Ground. Leaves Water, Electric, Steel, Psychic, Dark, Normal, Dragon. Of those, only Electric, Normal and Dragon do not produce repeats of old Pokemon (which makes it hard to "break the mold"). Water and Steel produce quite crappy typings to begin with (former just has an awful lot of weaknesses plus 4x Grass weak, latter is known the be horrid, and Gamefreak gives us a new one or two every gen anyway).

I guess I'll take Dragon for its lack of 4x weaks, and it breaks the mold slightly by Special attacking.

Choice 1: No secondary typing
Choice 2: Flying

If choice 2 becomes non-obligatory, I am taking it away.

EDIT: I forgot about Flying, which would make it an interesting switch into all of the previous CAPs. I guess I will go for that.

1) Bug
2) Dragon

Bug would be nice, a Technician'd Silver Wind or a STAB Bug Buzz would be nice since its probably going torwards a special variety of pokemon.

Dragon helps give it some special power also by adding in Draco Meteor, or a Technician'd Dragon Breath.

Choice 1: Fighting
Choice 2: Ghost

Rock and Fighting have strongly overlapping stereotypes, both slow (Infernape is the only base 100+ speed fighter, and there are no fast rocks), both physical (Lucario is the only fighting type that ever uses its Fighting STAB on the special side, and one of two with 100+ S.Atk). A fast Rock/Fight special sweeper would be certainly mold breaking.

Ghost/Rock would also fun. Ominous Wind + Ancient power STAB with either Technician or Serene Grace would be fun.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
1. No secondary typing
2. Normal

I cannot stress how much I do not want a secondary type. This is an opportunity to make a pokemon that's known for being ROCK-type. There are only 4 mono-Rocks including the NFE Cranidos, and none of them are ever used regularly at all. This is our CHANCE. We can make one that's useful. Tyranitar is, in fact, the only OU Rock-type and it's also Dark. Can't we let Rock have its time to shine alone?

I also can't think of any type that won't either neutralize the uniquity of this Pokemon (if it's Electric, it'll make sense that it's fast with high SA...), outshine the primary typing (if it's a Dragon, this will totally dominate the entire design and identity of the Pokemon) or just hurt it defensively (Steel doesn't give it very useful resists, and gives it two dangerous x4 weaks).

So I am voting for no secondary typing, and I strongly suggest others do the same. Fighting is filler, because I had to pick two, and if I don't have to pick it I would like to remove it.

Edit: After review, I see that perhaps the next best thing is Normal so I will choose this and edit my vote.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1. Flying
2. No secondary typing

Flying neutralizes the Fighting weakness and the Ground weakness, arguably the two worst going. In exchange for these is Electric, Ice, and Rock weaknesses, which could be fixed by Roost, or else some other method.

It would also theoretically allow access to Air Slash. Rock/Flying is an effective offensive combo, resisted only by Steel. It would create a weakness to Stealth Rock, but an Immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

On balance, I'd say Flying gives the best options, and I don't feel any other secondary would be good in tandem as Rock alone unless it could secure a specific ability, which isn't likely.

1: Flying
2: Grass

Flying would "break the mold" by giving immunity to ground type attacks as well as neutral fighting attacks. Grass has only 4 weaknesses which can be countered easily.

I would've picked electric over flying, if it was possible to give it Levitate or something like that, but that is not that stage of development, so I though that'd be a waste if it could possibly change.

Choice 1 Ice
Choice 2Fighting

I know I may get mugged for that but I want a new typing duo and even though those types but together with rock make terrible typing it could still make a good pokemon, especially a spc sweeper. Just a little more commentary if fighting wins giving it no gaurd would be pretty useful, but thats for another poll

Choice 1: No Second Typing
Choice 2: Ground

From previous comments i believe its safe to say that people want a Rock based Special sweeper from this concept. For this to work and also to "Break The Mold" of rock types this pokemon will probably have to be fast and have good special attack.

With this in mind for the secondary typing i discarded all the types that already have this stereotype or have good examples of pokemon that fit this mold in OU of being either Fast or/and having good special attack. It is hardly " Breaking the Mold" is we have a fast, special sweeper then make it part electric or part ghost just like Gengar.

Normal- Porygon Z
Fire- Infernape
Water- Starmie
Grass- Roserade
Ice- Weavile
Fighting- Lucario
Bug- Yanmega
Dark- Houndoom, Weavile
Electric-Raikou
Flying- Togekiss
Ghost-Gengar,Mismagius
Poison- Roserade,Gengar
Psychic- Alakazam, Azelf

This left me with Rock/Ground or Mono Rock.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fighting
Dragon

I'm really against no secondary type. Rock has a lot of weaks which I think it would be good to balance with a secondary type. Second, I don't like the idea of a Special Aerodactyl, which is what Rock/Flying will amount to. Hence, My vote.

1) No Secondary Type
2) Ghost

No secondary type means no other "Molds to Break," and another type could possibly change the preffered STAB.

EDIT: Changed Flying to Ghost, I thought it over more, and we already have Aerodactyl.

1) No secondary.
2) Flying

I want as a secondary a typing that's traditionally physical. Also, I think it's about time to make a CAP pokémon resistant to Flying, so that rules out Fighting and Bug. I'd also like it to not have a 4x weakness to fighting, because otherwise, Togekiss would still be a problem. Because of that, I'd prefer a mono-rock, and if that's not possible, a Rock/Flying. Ground, Fighting and Steel are also decent choices, but I think those are worse.

Edit: Heh, just like Mekkah.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1. Fighting
2. Grass

Both break the mold and give nice STAB( yay for non-sub seed Grass!)
I think that showing what resistances it gets whit type combos is useless as its going to be a frail and fast sweeper, showing what the STABs cover would be a good idea if someone has time for that.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Choice 2: No secondary type.

Read the darkie's post. But, I don't want a Rock/Steel....So I chose "No secondary type".

Choice 2: Dragon

For one most Fighters are Physical and slow, except Arceus Fight, Lucario (90 base is average, but he has Agility) and Infernape. Dragon also leans toward Physical, other than a few Draco Meteors and Fire Blasts flying around.

Choice 1: No secondary Type
Choice 2: Dragon

Mainly here for no secondary type. Dragon is only there because I needed two votes and because it remind me of a certain fellow, but who?

Oh...hi Mr. Stone Dragon, didn't noticed you there ^^;

1. Electric - Might as well give it an reason to be fast. Still breaks the mold IMO as it is still a Rock type.
2. No Secondary Typing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)