CAP 4 CAP 4 - Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Umm, these are the ones that have gotten the most attention. I haven't been the most attentive lurker of this thread out there so are there any others the community in general have liked?
I got a few hangers on, one on Dextarach and one on Manospide.

Most of the early ideas get punished into irrelevance by the avalanche of names that come in the middle.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Dextarach sounds incredible to me, actually. Provided that gets far enough I'll definitely show my support for it.

Just keep it nie and simple no weird out other country roots and stuff
I propose Mr Hands, if it hasn't been said. We have a Mr Mime why not a Mr Hands, plain simple, easy to remember

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It may be too late, but as sort of a touch up of a name earlier, how about Octapplaud? or Octoplaud, idk.

Manospide, Jazzdyne and Polypalm are really cool names. I had some ideas, but now I think they'd be pretty lame compared to those three >_>

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/918915/29343
I'm definitely going to have to go with Polypalm, it's the most "Pokemon-like".
I also think we should keep something related to the POISON typing of this (even though I can't think of one), because the names that are coming up make it seems like its a bug or normal type, which is not the impression we want to give.
I also think we should give this a more "cartoony" and "helpful" name, due to the whole utility thing.

Octaid: Octagon and Aid, nothing too complicated. Other options were Octassist and Octavail, which are synonymous. Octacid is also another variation.

Velemano: Veleno is poison in Italian and Spanish, Mano, as stated in other posts, means hand in a few languages.

Another idea could be something based around "Sludgeclutch"
I just had to say Opilipalm and Polypalm sounded awesome.

And Tarhandtula sounds like the perfect name for an evolution of this.
lmao, you're so right. xD

Reading through the thread again (and again and again...), I really like Polypalm. And then there's Terachnid close behind it.

I don't want to look like a dirtbag here, but a few people said that they liked Polypalm. I was actually going to PM this to you too, but I don't know if quotes work for those...

Can't we just do a master list with everything and have everyone pick their top three (like with the Ability Poll #1)? Seems easiest rather than re-reading the entire thread and then narrowing down to what received feedback...

Can't we just do a master list with everything and have everyone pick their top three (like with the Ability Poll #1)? Seems easiest rather than re-reading the entire thread and then narrowing down to what received feedback...
That's a good idea. It will still be organized.

I'd like to express interest in Dexder so that'll hopefully get a spot in the polls (if that is how you're doing it). It's simple, fitting and pretty unique in being a Pokemon name that sounds like a proper name.

I personally dislike any arachni or spider names for this Pokemon but it's interesting how you used grasp iLand. It's funny how nobody thought of using that one.

Arachnirot and Graspide(r)
aracnirot is a little weird i think, because rot is not really what i think of as poison, so it doen't really fit IMO.
as for graspide(r) i think graspider is better, but it could be mispronounced as grass-spider. which could be bad.

Palmpill and hanclap
again, i don't really think of pill=poison. hanclap is better, but i think that two references to it's hands is unnecessary.

Dadileg and Handii are my two entries. whaddya think of them?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Congratulations to DougJustDoug and X-Act, who are now Supermods!

Anyways, I really like Fidgit. Don't ask why, I really don't like any of the other names.

Palmpill and hanclap
again, i don't really think of pill=poison. hanclap is better, but i think that two references to it's hands is unnecessary.
Hand and clap are two differnet things. The word "clap" is a verb so you could be clapping with anything like instruments, legs, hands etc. There's also things like thunder claps so it's different. Hand could mean other things aswell. Hand as in your hand and hand as in "gimme a hand here". So it's basically help + hand + noise + clap which makes Hanclap.

Yeah, Arachnirot did sound a little weird to me.

Personally, I would like Graspide because most Pokémon have half of the word. It's just hard to think away from the Grass-Type part.

Yes, that was what I immediately thought when I read the name.

Though that doesn't make it bad. Half the people new to the CAP server immediately think Syclant is an alternate evo of Scyther because the begginings lok similar. I like Graspide a lot.

Hand and clap are two differnet things. The word "clap" is a verb so you could be clapping with anything like instruments, legs, hands etc. There's also things like thunder claps so it's different. Hand could mean other things aswell. Hand as in your hand and hand as in "gimme a hand here". So it's basically help + hand + noise + clap which makes Hanclap.
while that may be true, i don't think someone who sees the name is going to absorb all that in a glance. a pokemon's name has to give as much varied information as possible in just 10 letters, and the 10 seconds the average person will spend pondering it.

Congratulations to DougJustDoug and X-Act, who are now Supermods!

Anyways, I really like Fidgit. Don't ask why, I really don't like any of the other names.
WOOOOOO!
congratulations!

Arachnirot

-[Arachnid] + [Poison=Rot]
Rot is way too putrid of a word to be showing up on such a cheery Pokémon.

Graspider/Graspide

-[Grasp] + [Spider]
You're right, it sounds to Grass-y. It makes me thing of a Bug / Grass like Parasect, not a Poison / Ground like this dude.

It may be too late, but as sort of a touch up of a name earlier, how about Octapplaud? or Octoplaud, idk.
That one's better, I think. I like it. It sounds a little Water-type, as others have said about names and moves involving Octo. It might not make much sense, but just remember that it's all Octillery's fault.

Congrats to DougJustDoug and X-Act!

Also, Elevator Music? I love your avatar. :D

Lorak made the avatar. It's in his art thread.

Yeah, I like StrangerDanger's Octoplaud. The Octo thing doesn't really bother me (fuck you Octillery, I don't give a shit about you). Octoplause might be cool too as a variation.

Lorak made the avatar. It's in his art thread.
No, I mean, I figured it was. I recognize his style by now; his avatars are everywhere! Doesn't mean I can't complement your selection. x)

Octoplause could work too, I guess. It's really six of one and a half dozen of the other; either way it's a little bit confusing to spell. (a? o? one p? two ps?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)