CAP 4 CAP 4 - Analysis Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
If you would like the chance to be in charge of the analysis for CAP 4, well you've come to the right place. In subsequent CAPs the Analysis has been written by yours truly, but due to my position as TL I feel it is prudent to allow someone else the chance to write the analysis for CAP 4. Please note this does not mean I am not going to write the analysis for CAP 5. Writing the analysis is a great way to show of your skills to the rest of the community and you'll also have the analysis post of the Stratergy Pokedex (Ya right, like anyone cares about that XD )

I take great pride in the analysis, so whoever I pass the responsibility on to must have a good understanding of English and proper grammar (or at the very least know how to use spell-check!). They must also be able to have a good grasp of how this Pokemon will effect the metagame without actually having access to it on Doug's server, as the first draft of the analysis is almost complete theorymon.

If you wish to apply simply make a post to that effect. You will recieve a PM with a moveset and EV spread for this Pokemon. You must then "fill in the blanks" as they say. PM me your finished product and it will be marked against the others and the author of the best one will be chosen to write the full analysis. It won't be very long, simply one set and maybe a counters section. Shouldn't take you more than 15-30 minutes. Hopefully there will be enough people wanting to write the analysis to make this effective. It's not a chore, I swear! :P
InB4Tennis!!!

EDIT: All the info of about his Pokemon you will need is now in the Stratergy Pokedex.
EDIT2: Hopefully the person will be decided in ~48 hours. The sooner you get applications in the longer you will have to work on it.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'll do it but I'll be back the 15th, I'm leaving for Florida in about 30 mins.

Sunday

Aww Tennis it sucks you're going away right at this time, I know how wanted to do the analysis and I would have been more than happy to have you doing it :(

Anyway I've sent the PM to both of you. Forgot to mention you've got ~48 hours so take your time...

I would love to try my hand at this, I have a lot of experience with RSE movesetting and I wanna give this one a go.

Sunday

Next batch of PMs sent. Glad to see quite a few people are interested.

Definitely interested in this, and analysis writing is something I've got a bit of experience with too.

Gahh.... I was away in another unexpected car trip all yesterday. How annoying.

I got most of my submission in beforehand though, so I guess Sunday should just count that. Too busy messing around with Paint.NET to really work on anything else anyways.

Sunday

Ok, so for those who have been eagerly awaiting the analysis here is the PM I send those who entered:

The... "task" is to fix the following:
Hint: You should use proper analysis format, a good example of that can be seen here.
Hint2: There's waaaaay more wrong with it than first meets the eye!
Hint3: Feel free to write your own set comments / counters etc.

Name: Trick Room
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Wish
- Earthquake
Nature: Jolly
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Vital Spirit
ev's: 252 SPEED - 44SP.Def - 212Hpppp

[SET COMMENTS]
C(R)AP 4 is one of the best Pokemon for passing U-turn ever invented. Speedy, 8 turn Trick Room to slow U-turn allows your Trick Room abuser to come in completly unscathed, and persistent allows whatever you pass too 6 turns to abuse Trick Room. It can also be used to pass Wish, or you can use Wish pre-emptivly to keep DLL healthy.
The EV's are awesome and allow DLL to be super fast yet ultra bulky and stuff.

[Counters]
Nothing, because nothing can stop it passing TR to something that will raep u!!! Also, anything immune to Earthquack. >.>

Man that was actually a lot of fun to write :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It's obviously riddled with errors. There was no "perfect" version, but the first thing I was looking for was putting it into the proper format. Correct Caps, correct EV order and format. Stuff like that. Next was the quality of the "set comments" and "counters" Mentioning things like Trick Room canceling out Trick Room or "Taunt can stop Fidgit from setting up any further, but beware of it using Trick Room on the switch" over just "You can't really stop it using Trick Room". Of the 6 replys it was close between two, with another just behind. In the end, I decided I liked Fishin's the best. Everything was great format wise (only one minor issue, as you can see), use of examples in the set comments and counters was great. Explanation fo the set was briliant, as max speed on a Pokemon running TR was something that could easily go over many people's head (and went straight over the head of one of the people who submitted entries, I might add...) Changing the EV's was fair enough aswell. I've posted that here with my critiques still in it (I did the same with everyone.) If anyone wants to know what I though of their just ask.

Fishin said:
One thing I wanted to mention was that though you said to fix the Trick Room set, the same set could pretty easily be used as an all-around support set, since you gave it to me as a Trick Room set, I left it as that, but it'd probably be better as a support set overall.

Also, sorry for my tardiness, I was having some internet trouble earlier in the day and ended up forgetting about it.

[SET]
Name: Trick Room
Move 1: Trick Room
Move 2: U-turn
Move 3: Wish
Move 4: Earthquake
Item: Leftovers
ability: Persistent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
The format of the actual Stratergy Guids has nature, item, and ability without caps. That doesn't matter so much when it gets transfered onto the site but I don't know if that will matter when converted.

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Fidgit has several qualities that make it an excellent candidate for setting up Trick Room. It's unique ability, Persistent, (which increases the duration of Trick Room and several other support moves by two turns Explanation probably not necesary) is one; another is its solid defensive typing and stats, which allow it to switch into several common Pokémon without much fear, including Heracross, Lucario, and Revenankh. Wish provides further team support, while U-turn provides you with a way to scout the enemy's switch or attack and deal some damage in the bargain. Earthquake provides a solid attacking move.</p>
Dam, my spellchecks not working :(

<p>Maximum Speed investment might seem counter-productive on something that's going to be reversing the effects of Speed after a single turn, but it actually has several benefits, not the least of which is getting Trick Room up even if the opponent will KO you on the same turn. Fidgit can usually survive one attack from many of its slower counters, as well, so you can use U-Turn to bring in whatever Pokémon is taking advantage of Trick Room completely unscarred.</p>
And you managed to avoid caping the T in the set too! XD
<p>Though this set is called "Trick Room", most of Fidgit's other support options can be used in Trick Room's place; Gravity and Tailwind are both good support moves that benefit from Persistent, and Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and even Stealth Rock work effectively as well (though be sure to change Fidgit's ability to Vital Spirit, since Persistent will no longer have any use). </p>

[Counters]
<p>There's no way to dispel Trick Room once it's active Bar using TR again, and Fidgit will be switching out most of the time to let a slower Pokémon take advantage of Trick Room, meaning that countering the Trick Room set is more a matter of countering whatever the opponent switches to rather than Fidgit itself. <-Good As for the other sets, there are several Pokémon who can come in without much direct risk and pose a threat. Bronzong and Skarmory are prime choices; both of them are immune to Harvesand's STAB attacks, and Bronzong frequently carries Earthquake. Gengar is faster than Harvesand, resistant or immune to both STAB attacks, and while it can learn Taunt, it can easily 2HKO with Hidden Power Ice or Shadow Ball, or simply put non-Vital Spirit variants to Sleep with Hypnosis. Azelf doesn't resist Poison or enjoy U-Turn, but it's faster, immune to Ground, and easily OHKOs with Psychic.</p>

<p>Bulky Water-types can generally switch into Fidgit without much fear. Starmie is probably the best choice; it's faster than Fidgit, hits Super Effective with both STAB attacks, and can use Rapid Spin to clear any Spikes or Toxic Spikes. Gyarados is also a good option since it's immune to Ground, neutral to Poison, and can Taunt any setup attacks (though it has to watch out for Fidgit's Taunt) or use Waterfall for heavy damage. Other solid choices include Suicune, Milotic, and Swampert.</p>
So congratulations to Fishin! Fidgit's analysis is now in your capable hands :) I'm sure you know the drill, but for those who don't when the first draft is complete it will be posted in this forum, and it will be then when people can submit their own sets to be discussed. These should, of course, have been playtested on the server first. (Although the first draft itself is mostly theorymon).

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also, I'd just like to point out that in Fishin's analysis, (s)he uses Harvesand once or twice. Just pointing that out, because I'm pretty sure that the final decision is Fidgit.

EDIT: Otherwise though, its a great set, and I can't wait to try it out on the CAP server.

I also wanted to point out that in the following line, what Fishin had originally is correct.
It's unique ability...
should be

Its unique ability...

Its is the possessive form while it's is contracted from it is.

This may not be my place to say this but wouldn't it be better if Fidgit was Timid with 212 Hp, 46 Def or SpA, and 252 Spe? 212 within Hp gives you 384, pefect for leftover recovery. 46 in Def allows you to survive more hits on the physically side or you could place them in special attack for a bit more bite with Earth Power. Speed is a no-brainer for any of it's sets so no change to that.

Using Earth Power instead of Earthquake on that set isn't as bad as one thinks. Such when comparing Earthquake's 150(including stab) power towards Earth Power's 135(including stab), the lost of 15 points seem bad, but Earth Power is going off it's stronger offensive stat so it will make up for the lack of strength no problem.

Code:
394/188/255/194/196/339 - Jolly with the EVs shown in Fishin's set
394/169/255/216/196/339- Timid with same EVs

384/188/265/194/196/339-  Jolly with 212 Hp, 46 Def, 252 Spe
384/169/265/216/196/339 - Timid with same spread.

384/199/254/194/196/339 - Jolly with 46 evs into Atk.
384/169/254/227/196/339 - Timid with 46 Evs into SpA.
What do you think is better?

speed isn't really necessary either, maybe we should beat 100+nature, but fidgit can't do anything to garchomp, and shouldn't be dealing with mismagus either.

Since it's a trick room set, what are the problems with as low a speed as possible?

My comments in the thread... EDIT- I'd like to see mine Sunday. =/

Using Earth Power instead of Earthquake on that set isn't as bad as one thinks. Such when comparing Earthquake's 150(including stab) power towards Earth Power's 135(including stab), the lost of 15 points seem bad, but Earth Power is going off it's stronger offensive stat so it will make up for the lack of strength no problem.
I thought Earth Power was 80 when I did mine. I was incorrect, and GT has a point. Assuming no EVs in both stats, you have an Attack of 188 and a Special Attack of 216. A rough estimate of which will do more damage can be done by multiplying the attack stat by the base power (that's how it's done in the damage formula, right?)

188 * 100 = 18800
216 * 90 = 19440

Like I said, I thought it was 80 when I did the analysis, so I kept it physical (216 * 80 = 17280). Whatever =/.

Well 244 Speed allows you to outspeed Jolly Garchomp, 252 isn't really needed imo.
When will you be going up against Chomp?

Maxing HP is better in almost all situations.
Unless of course you only focus on one defense, in which case evening out that defense and HP is the better thing to do. Looking at this pokemon's average SpDef, it is a semi-logical thing to do.

But for more even defenses you are obviously correct.

speed isn't really necessary either, maybe we should beat 100+nature, but fidgit can't do anything to garchomp, and shouldn't be dealing with mismagus either.
It is quite possible it may go up against the other base 105 pokemon. Probably not though. In any case, maxing out speed is still the better option.

Since it's a trick room set, what are the problems with as low a speed as possible?
A slow U-turn is the point of the set, so having a slow speed would be counter productive.

Switch in on a predicted Swords Dance and encore it.

edit: oh, I thought you were talking about fidgit in general.

This set has no mention of encore, and i missed the part about slow U-turn.

If this was an encore set, max would be best for encoring mismag, garchomp and the other 105s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)