CAP 34 - Part 1 - Concept Assessment Item Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
CAP 34 So Far

-----

This is a poll to determine which uncommon item we will select for CAP 34 to use. Please refer to the Concept Assessment thread HERE, where we discussed these moves at length, to make an informed decision before submitting your ballot. In addition, here are the short explanations for each item given by our Topic Leader dex.

Air Balloon - We have seen Air Balloon in use multiple times throughout Pokemon's history, but this generation might be its best with there being so many good Ground-types in the metagame. While it may sometimes rely on the surprise factor, Pokemon like Heatran show that it is possible to preserve Air Balloon for long periods, and Pokemon like Blaziken demonstrate that the free turn Air Balloon provides can be pivotal. Also, Amamama demonstrated how Air Balloon can be a great means of skill expression, letting the player get into the minigame of keeping it intact. Air Balloon is only minorly restrictive on typing and leaves the rest of the process wide open, though there could be valid concerns that the item is too prevalent to be pro-concept.

Assault Vest - The debate surrounding Assault Vest is not about its strength, it is about whether or not it is pro-concept. You could design a CAP to prefer Assault Vest over all other items, but is it for us? snake made an excellent point that Assault Vest is rarely a primary item, making it perhaps more pro-concept than it may seem. Assault Vest is not restrictive on any part of the process, though Ability may be impacted by it.

Eject Pack - Eject Pack provides a surprising amount of depth for a single-use item. SHSP made a great post about how turning a Pokemon that is not normally a pivot into a one-time pivot can be instrumental in winning momentum and getting into a good position, which can be enough to win games in today's metagame. We've also all seen the work a strong pivoting move can do (Scizor and Tapu Koko come to mind), demonstrating that Eject Pack's effect is something most teams want. Eject Pack is minorly restrictive on typing (you need a move to activate it) but otherwise keeps the process pretty clean, though there is some question about its power level.

Focus Sash - Focus Sash, like Assault Vest, has a very strong effect and has seen use in the past. While it may be too popular for your tastes, Focus Sash has proven cases of use to base the process on. Amamama discussed how Focus Sash rewards smart play and has a few examples in the current meta of how it can be used. That being said, Abilities that synergize with the item are less than abundant, though it would not be too hard to guarantee the item is run.

Throat Spray - Throat Spray, among single-use items, may just be the best from a consistency point of view. a fairy pointed out that despite Throat Spray being single use and despite it being expected from some Pokemon, the item still excels. Generation 8's Meteor Beam teams proved that boosting while launching off a powerful attack is quite strong, and then Archaludon went and showed us that again with current generation rain. One point in Throat Spray's favor is the relative cornucopia of sound-based moves, especially bolstered by recent additions, keeping our future stages pretty open, though the role a Throat Spray Pokemon inhabits is somewhat limited.

-----

This is a ranked pairs poll. The order of your preferences DOES matter. You may rank as many or as few options as you like, but we encourage you to rank as many options as possible. A typical ballot might look like the following:
Most Preferred
Second Most Preferred
Third Most Preferred

Any comments would go below the votes in non-bold text.
All ballots will be revealed at the end of the poll and votes will be counted via automated scripts. If you do not compose a legal ballot, your post will be subject to moderation.
  • Do NOT bold anything other than the options you are voting for.
  • Do NOT put any formatting other than bold in your post.
  • Only one option per line.
  • Spellings must match EXACTLY the options listed below.
  • Capitalization and spaces are ignored by the counting scripts, but you probably should not depend on it.
Asking for votes for your submission or for the submissions of others is not allowed. Anyone found to have done so risks punishment at the moderation team's discretion. If you find that someone has broken this rule, please contact the CAP moderation team with your evidence and no one else. Mini-moderation of this rule is also considered a serious offense and can be punished.

The voting options are:

Air Balloon
Assault Vest
Eject Pack
Focus Sash
Throat Spray

This poll will be open for 24 hours.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Throat Spray
Eject Pack
Assault Vest
Focus Sash
Air Balloon

Last edited:

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Throat Spray
Eject Pack
Assault Vest
Air Balloon
Focus Sash

I ranked the options purely on the basis of how likely I think it is that we can ensure CAP 34 uses that particular item. Focus Sash is at the bottom here because it does have the smallest design space of the options. Air Balloon I ranked fourth because I think it runs into a lot of competition from Leftovers and Heavy-Duty Boots. Assault Vest I have in the middle because it's a bit stronger than Air Balloon but it does run into the same competition. Eject Pack I have in second because I just think the end product of this would be really cool, though it will run into some power level issues. Throat Spray is first because I think we have a 100% chance of making a Throat Spray CAP prefer Throat Spray. The item is good, it is 100% pro-concept, and I think it is just perfect for where we currently are.

Last edited:

kenn

Prince of the Halidom
is a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Throat Spray
Air Balloon
Assault Vest
Eject Pack
Focus Sash

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)