CAP 33 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

A shooting starfish! I am using a sunflower sea star with a long algae tail. I think it does a good job of meshing something that goes super fast, something water/fairy, and something that can be tanky. This is my first sketch. Let me know here or discord what you think :)

WIP

(BONUS: Alternate color palette)

Got some suggestions for a few additional touches from the Discord chats, but I'm happy with the way this looks so far and while I'll still test out the suggested modifications later, I'm very close to what I'll final sub with if the ability poll doesn't screw me over. I still need to decide whether to go with light blue or lavender for the mustache, arms, and belly, but I'll probably go with the light blue for the final sub so it stands out from the shells a bit more; I'm also tempted to add additional patterns to the back half for visual interest but that may detract from the pink and red of the shells and head fin. Looks like I'll have to wait and see what competitive ability CAP33 will have before I continue.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP
IMG_3122.png
another option in case my clam/pearl ballerina music box thing doesn’t work out for whatever reason

basically a straightforward kelpie with some hippocampus and kirin inspo, wanted to go with a more “fey” than “fairy” approach to fairy type but slightly worried it came out looking like a dark type

feedback is very welcome, I’m not super secure in this design atm

Modedit: Changing oversized image to thumbnail.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

Hi, I've been looking at CAP on & off since I was in middle school! I played singles mostly during DPP~BW2 & drew once for the Aurumoth CAP, so it's been a long time since I posted on smogon.

I started off thinking of a Bathtub Gokart with a Naiad/Undine, but it felt too on the nose for a Fast Wall; also Quanyalis already had a bath inspired design & I think Tapu Fini already took the "armored waifu" type of idea. I just googled "fast ocean creature" which is kind of lame lmao, but Cetitan wasn't really the kind of Orca mon I wanted anyway. I turned it into a plushie shape and then it looked kinda like Raremon (Digimon). Ended up as an Orca Submarine... tanky vehicle +propeller tail to go fast...

I'll do a clean white bg render if i don't want to revise anything for the final submission post!

fin resize.png

early sketches: wip resize.png

Modedit: Removing poll-jump.

WIP

Tried out a new shading approach at the advice of Sunfished on the CAP Discord - I really like how vibrant this looks now, so I'll see if I can apply it to future fakemon artwork in general! Also tried several ways of integrating Multiscale into this design, which I still think fits despite swordfish losing their scales when they reach adulthood - after several attempts at fish scale patterning failed miserably, I settled on this segmented look for the hat and tail, which hopefully should get that aspect across without further cluttering up such an already complex design.

9/14 EDIT: Tried a more scalloped pattern for the plating - I think I like this even better! Here's what the version I originally put up with straight plate edging looks like:
https://i.imgur.com/u3uqHs8.png

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

Rest in peace, pie walrus. But who said "Multiscales" had to be fish scales? Enter the NANOWAR OF DISCO! Disco ball body, flashing light patterns, (daft) punk crest, and multiple appendages to play out multiple scales with. Plus the obligatory "staying alive" pose. And now Disco Metal is in my head. It is now in your head as well. Disco metal dancing in the moonlight dancing in the shadows metal in the hoooooooouse -

Last edited:
Final Submission
image_2023-10-09_092613389.png

Nuclear Submarine with Butterfly and Whale mixed in. Also includes Narwhal. Inspired by the fact that submarines go fast, has baleen in it's mouth. Butterfly wings because it is a fairy and I wanted it to seem magical, shiny palette inspired more directly by submarines. Sonar horn inspired by the fact that both whales and submarine use sonar to find things, and inspired by narwhals, because narwhals are the unicorns (fairy) of the sea (water). I am not a super talented artist but wanted to give the CAP project a spin!
Supporting Material:
Dragon Drop 2_ Electric Boogaloo (1).jpg

Last edited:
WIP

started working on this one before multiscale won the poll so it doesn't quite fit the ability, but even if i end up finding a different idea i'm just way too proud of "sea sponge mech piloted by a comically tiny fish" to not send it in

aside from the multiscale thing (and also just general things that need to be improved like the patterning on the mech and the fish being kinda a generic placeholder right now), my main issue with the design right now is that it feels WAY more like a ghost type than a fairy type (though that might just be because i made it and so i know the whole rabbit hole that led me here)
1000001581.jpg

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
This is a design that I both love and have also… procrastinated on fully developing for a while. But while I was scrolling through the forums I saw this thread and fast defensive Water/Fairy Multiscale is actually kind of perfect for this design!
Untitled_Artwork.jpeg

He’s inspired by Qilin/Kirin, mythical creatures (Fairy) of serenity and benevolence so gentle they disturb not even the grass with their footsteps (Defensive). Swift, graceful, and typically (Multi!) scaled and cloven hooved, they can walk on water as well as the clouds (which are also water!) and are associated with abundance (rain!) and peace. I think I can further play up the scaliness + rain cloud association, but the design isn’t too far off as is.

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

Likely to be the semi-finalised design after I reorganised it to be more organic and less "orbital keyboard out of nowhere", until necessary moves make it a problem. Instead of a constrictive floating ring, it uses its striped tentacles which flicker on and off like synthesizer keyboards, letting it blast energy and bops from its subwoofer suckers. It uses multi-musical scales to make a wall... of sound! The Discord may have seen the original iteration of the idea, where the striped tentacles were more explicitly patterned like piano keys, except that going with that idea would've made me Spriter's Public Enemy Numbuh One. You're a squid now! You're a bop now!

This was the bop I used drawing this.

WIP

Gabriel's Horn more like Gabriel Ultra-.png

No better time to dust off this old account.
We've got here a fella based on stained glass, angelic imagery, Gabriel's horn (and trumpets in general), and the pegasus volitans (or longtail seamoth). I imagine an underwhelming size (maybe no larger than a Dunsparce) that regardless presents a challenge to beat thanks to the sheer fairy-type radiance it emits. I'd imagine its 'battle pose' to be staring you down directly, all four fins unfurled in almost a "threat display", a pose like that to really give off those 'be not afraid' vibes.

Mod edit: Oversized image changed to thumbnail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)