Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP (1/3)

Coralord

Coral + Lord

Pronounced: Cora-Lord

WIP (2/3)

Escargoton

Escargot + Ton, weight unit measure (1 t = 2204,62 lb)

Pronounced: Escargot-Ton

WIP (3/3)

Oceanpodus

Oceanus, first son of Gaia and Uranus in greek mythology + Gastropod

Pronounced: Ocean-Po-Dus

Last edited:
WIP (1/3)

Abysnail

Combination of "Abyss" + "Snail"

Pronounced: "Ah-bis-nail"

WIP (2/3)

Abyslug

Combination of "Abyss" + "Slug"

Pronounced: "Ah-bis-lug"

Last edited:
Final Submission

Tritarier

Combination of "Triton" and "Barrier" (Great Barrier Reef)

Pronounced "Try-TAER-i-er"
IPA: traɪtæriər

Last edited:
We've had some submissions but not really any discussion yet. Here are a few names that I would like to share my thoughts on.
Marigalia

Marine + regalia, cus it wears the marine life (coral) on its back like clothing
When I first read the name, it didn't really appeal to me. It must have been the way I read it, however, because it has really grown on me! On that note, I am wondering how it is supposed to be pronounced, especially in regards to the second "a." I think the first time I read it as a short "a" rather than a long one, which I probably shouldn't have done. Anyways, this sounds like a nice name to me!
Conchriton

Conch + Chriton, the famous author Triton, the son of Poseidon in Greek Mythology

Con - cry - ton
Another name that I think is well constructed. It sounds less soothing to me than "Marigalia" does, and was the first name submission that I took interest in. It isn't quite intuitive to me to read the name the way it ought to be pronounced, but that is more of a nitpick. This name also happens to be similar to my later submission, partially because it brought the name "Triton" into my consideration as a possible element of my submission, which I ended up going with. Overall, I like this submission and have compared others to it when thinking about other names.
Tritondine

Triton + Ondine
I had to look up "Ondine." It really contributes to how much I like the name, and I wanted to bring attention to it because I think that "Ondine" and its variation "Undine" could make for a really good root for future submissions. I'll certainly be considering it if I create another WIP name.
Pacifidon

Pacific + Poseidon
Another set of good words, especially Pacific.
Acaptopsa

“Acanthinucella punctulata (a snail species)” + “Leptopsammia (coral species)”

Pronunciation: “ac-ap-TOP-sa”
This stuck me as one of the more innovative submissions. We have had a few subs that have made use of scientific names, but none have gone as all-in to create an original-sounding name that is still incredibly descriptive by nature of its obscure roots. It should be noted that it does risk being too obscure, making it hard to glean any meaning from it without doing your research and potentially making the name hard to pronounce. But I do believe that the unique approach that this name takes is worth noting for future submissions.

Final Submission

Coroison

Combination of "Coral" + "Poison" ('Coral' references its coral reef-like shell. 'Poison' is simply stems from its typing.)

Pronounced: "kôr oiz(ə)n"

WIP

Claironia

"Charonia" + "Clairon"

"Charonia" is the genus of the Triton Snail. When translated literately, "Clairon" is French for "bugle", which is relevant because the snail is commonly known as "Triton's trumpet" and fitting because the military use of the horn compliments the guardian nature of the design.

Pronounced: "Clair-O-ni-ah"

Last edited:
Final Submission

Royalusk

roi-(ə)l-uhsk

"Royal" + "Mollusk"

Appearance and attire create the image of royalty in the form of a mollusk. I kinda got Loki vibes from this one.

WIP:
Tyrialka

From "Tyrian purple" (a pigment derived from a type of sea snail) + "whelk" (a type of sea snail)--also echoes names that end with -lka (e.g. Olka, Jelka, Homolka)

Pronunciation: TIE-ree-AHL-kuh

WIP 2:
Tritelka

From "Triton" (both snail type and minor sea god) and "whelk"; still ends with -lka

Pronunciation: try-TEHL-kuh

Last edited:
WIP

Almighton

"Almighty" + "Triton"

Pronunciation: awl-MAHY-tuhn
IPA: /ɔːlˈmaɪtən/

A portmanteau of "almighty," referencing CAP 25w's size and bearing, and "triton," the type of snail that appears to have inspired the CAP's design.

WIP

Conchell

Pronunciation: Con-shell

A combination of Conch and Shell, but playing on the "c" in the middle, using it as an "s" as in "shell," but coming off of Conch.

Last edited:
WIP

Umaiguard

Portmanteau of "Umi" (Japanese for sea/ocean) + "Maimai"(Japanese for snail - usually for terrestrial species) + "Guard" (Since this CAP is more oriented for defenses with its bulk and shell)

Pronounced: "OO-my-GAHD"

IPA: /uːmaɪ.gɑːd/

WIP 1/3

Pacifidon

Pacific Ocean + Poseidon

Pronunciation: "pa-SI-fi-don"

2/3

Aquabalone

Aqua + Abalone (a type of snail)

Pronunciation: "a-KWAH-ba-lown"

3/3

Fortishell

Fortify (due to its defenses) + Shell

Pronunciation: "FOR-ti-shel"

WIP

1/3

Charoyal

Charonia (genus of the Triton snail) + Royal

Pronunciation "ka-ROH-yal"

2/3

Marshell

Marshal (a military rank) + Shell

Pronunciation "MAR-shell"

3/3

Tyconch

Tycoon (a wealthy magnate) + Tidal + Conch (a sea snail's shell)

Pronunciation "ty-KONK"

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
WIP

Resnalia
Regalia (formal, royal clothing) + Snail
Pronunciation: "Ree-SNAIL-yah"
IPA: /ɹəˈsneɪl.i.ə/

Going with the royal trend, but focusing more on the shell attire part...

Last edited:
WIP 2/3

Magesea

Play on words with 'majesty', as well as linking to 'mage' due to the robe-like appearance of the outer skin (at least in my opinion!)

(Mah-jes-see)

((I had another one around like acquiescence or something but it just wasn't really working out, if I find something I'm happy with I'll add it as a third WIP))

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Joyant

"Joy" + "Buoyant"

Pronounced: "joy-ant"

A combination of the words joy and buoyant. Regardless of how it looks at first glance, I wanted a name that was more than one word + another word. While doing research, i discovered that in pre Columbian America, snails were considered a symbol of joy. They are also seen as a symbol of enjoying life at a slower pace. This seemed fitting as 25w seems to always have a joyful disposition about itself.

Next, I looked for synonyms of joy as I wasn't sold on the word at the time. I ended up at the phrase joie de vivre hoping to incorporate some French element because "snails." I then noticed that buoyancy was a synonym of joyful. It was nice because it incorporated a "water" word but maintained a connection with the original.

Buoyant -
1. able or apt to stay afloat or rise to the top of a liquid or gas
2. cheerful and optimistic

I originally tried Joyancy as a name but It sounded too much like Chansey. I ended up with going with Joyant instead. I also avoided spelling it "Juoy" to avoid the Ju since Jumbao was last CAP.

WIP

Coroyalis

Portmanteau of "Coral", "Royal" and "Coriolis" (The Coriolis Force impacts the movements of ocean currents around the globe - give a sense of scope since this is a bulky mon)

Pronounced: "Caw-roh-yal-is"

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reiga : Concoral
I don't really see this snail as a conqueror but I still like this name

Pipotchi : Marigalia
One of the few names that has a really nice flow, sounds nice, and fits the Pokemon

KirbyAirRider : Reefender
I want to like this because the combination of words works well, but it reads as Reef + Ender instead of Defender

Bughouse : Slugguard
I like this, but I'd like it more if it didn't sound like sluggard

flying moose : Snailstrom
This is pretty clever but it might be better for a second stage mon. It isn't quite distinguished enough for this mon. I would still vote for it though.

Sgt.Moose : Neptopod
Sounds good and has good flow. I like it.

pokehimon : Tritonne is definitely the best of the 3

Kurobat : Pacifidon
Pacify could be a root word for this name too, I can't decide if it's good for this guy to be seen as a pacifist though

BaffleTome : Coroyalis
One of my favourites, I hope other people appreciate the use of the word Coriolis

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Decorale

mix of Decor (referencing its shell) and Coral, with the last half of it sort of having a corruption of the word Royale, referencing its elegant, posh look.

Pronounced: "Deck - Core - Ale"

WIP 2/3

Foucoast

Michel Foucault + Coast

I don't know why, but 25w gives me an intelectual vibe and it reminds me of Foucault's studies about the relationship between power and knowledge (lol).

Pronounced: "foo-COAST"

WIP 3/3

Caprecious

Capricious + Precious Coral (the red coral's popular name)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)