CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicparker

Banned deucer.
WIP

Alright alright! Thanks for all the lovely comments on my sketches! I've worked a good portion of the day to bring you Clown-Dragon v1.0.

High Quality Link in case anyone wants to see the slightly nicer/bigger version (over 500 kB)
http://i.imgur.com/y8uUlpl.png

As far as size goes, I pictured the little skeleton as being about the size of a child (wow that sounds creepy) and the rest would scale propotionately, of course lol. I was considering adding polka-dots/scale pattern or something so opinions/ideas there would be great, also I have no clue what to do with the tail so there's this for now. OH and I forgot I was gonna add the classic Chinese dragon mustache I knew I was missing something. That might help it look more dragon-y. Does it need to be more dragon-y? Idk i need feedback.

Will edit soon with feedback for others. Thanks! Love you!
Epicparker out.

EDIT: My image totally didn't work. Tryna fix that rn.
EDIT2: Got it.

epicparker yours is one of my favorite designs right now, but I think it would work better if you just eliminated the skeleton in the mouth, which seems very superfluous to the design, and added articulations to the legs. I imagine you made them like that to better emulate the look of those dragon figures seen in the Chinese new year, but I think that is already clear enough, and right now, it doesn't look like it could walk at all.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

After mulling it over, decided that drakula wasn't as fun as a concept as I thought. So, shifted the concept of a cloaked entity to the dragon sea slug animal, which did a pretty good job at keeping the idea I wanted!

Feedback appreciated!

Here is my work in progress. Its an assassin, which seems appropriate for the concept.
However, since Dragon/Steel did not win, its going to need some revision. I'm thinking of changing it to a marionette rather than an android, but I'm open to feedback.

DQ - Final Submission

MOD EDIT: Please upload to an Image hosting Website (such as Imgur or Puush) and do not use the Attach to Forum Post option. Your image also needs cleaning up as there are several "odd" patterns in your white background

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP 2
Thanks for the feedback guys :'D Did some more work on wall dragon~ I think I captured the dragon part down, maybe ghost unless I can just color him to be more see-through to convey that.

As much as I want to make him longer, it'd look a little too disproportional. This is as long as he'll look normally (he can stretch himself to be longer though). I'm not too sure if he should have a "headdress" or not (it's supposed to be part of the wall roof). I'm also not sure on the "wall roof"'s design on his back, if it should be simpler or designed differently. When I revise it again, I'll start playing around with palettes next time.
Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated~

Feedback for Others:
HeaLnDeaL: I'm gonna have to agree with Khalvin8's critique. The design speaks more ghost dog than ghost dragon. I'd suggest maybe making your shibu less a shibu and more ambiguously beast-like.

Quanyails: Tapewyrm is really cute c: reminds me of Makami. not much to say, maybe give him eyes or a simple pattern on his body?

11bug: Interesting design, I can see it being special attacker imo try working on giving it a ghostly vibe.

epicparker: Unique, but I feel like your design a little too complicated in what it's supposed to be. I agree with mxmts in removing the little skeleton in the mouth, I think that'd make it better.

Last edited:

Here is my work in progress. Its an assassin, which seems appropriate for the concept.
However, since Dragon/Steel did not win, its going to need some revision. I'm thinking of changing it to a marionette rather than an android, but I'm open to feedback.
You could color it a light yellow-white and make it skeletal.

based on hydras, sock puppets, stitching and see no evil hear no evil speak no evil. The three heads can become detatched to perform moves and the wooden frame can also be used in attacks. hopefully the dragon type is evident through the hydra aspect

supporting
http://imgur.com/jB3Ni07

based on hydras, sock puppets, stitching and see no evil hear no evil speak no evil. The three heads can become detatched to perform moves and the wooden frame can also be used in attacks. hopefully the dragon type is evident through the hydra aspect

supporting
http://imgur.com/jB3Ni07
This is a really cool concept! I think if you added more dragon elements to the puppets themselves, it would be great. Also, maybe change the colors of the middle puppet to more ghoulish colors like purple and such.

WIP

http://i.imgur.com/YlQ2MoL.png

To quote a certain dragon sidekick from a certain Disney movie: "I LIIIIIIIIVE!!!"

I was keeping tabs on CAP 23 ever since I returned to these forums a few weeks ago, but didn't realize that the art contest was already going until I checked back a while later. Ghost/Dragon seemed like a type combination I'd definitely be interested in, so while on work break today I doodled four conceptual sketches to fit both the type and the concept, and the justifications provided below. Now it's a matter of choosing which one to go with for the remaining duration of the contest, so if you guys could help me pick which one to stick with that'd be great. Hope you like 'em! :)

Concept A
  • Basis: The shiro-uneri is a yokai that's essentially a dishrag that forms into the shape of a dragon. I incorporated elements of a shed dragon skin, like that left by a molting snake, and fake taxidermy, with multiple bits of animal hide stitched together. I'm not particularly proud of the design, since I kinda failed at the "animal-skin rug" look, but I still think it gets the point across.
  • Type Justification: Since the shiro-uneri, being a yokai, is a supernatural being, and since it takes on the shape of a dragon, Ghost/Dragon is the perfect type combination for it. Additionally, the taxidermy-ish nature of this design lends well to the fact that it's either a reanimated dragon skin or sewn from the skins of dead dragons (dragon hide is a frequent clothing article in fantasy media).
  • Concept Justification: The behavior of the shiro-uneri is quoted from the above link: Shiro uneri flies through the air, chasing cleaning staff and servants, and attacking them by wrapping its slimy, mildewy body around their necks and heads, causing them to pass out from the stench. Occasionally, shiro uneri have killed servants by strangulation, though usually they seem more interested in mischief than murder. Note the boldfaced part - since the concept of this CAP relies on trapping moves, I can see this thing wrapping itself around its opponent and smothering it until it faints, rather like a draconic Lethifold.

Concept B
  • Basis: The dinosaur genus Therizinosaurus translates to "scythe lizard", and the Grim Reaper is commonly depicted wielding a scythe. Thus, this design is a therizinosaur whose scythes are equivalent to those of the Reaper, with the rest of its appearance modeled accordingly. Its feathers are arranged in a similar manner to the Reaper's cloak, ridges on its body resemble bones, and its face is skull-like, with just a hint of dodo bird for good measure.
  • Type Justification: Many of the known fossil specimens of Therizinosaurus are incomplete, and the first findings unearthed in 1948 consisted solely of its enormous claws, which were described in 1954 - the scientist who named them thought they were from a giant turtle! Until the 1970's, what this dinosaur looked like remained a mystery, with many assuming that it was a predator that used its claws to gut its prey, before new findings showed that it was in fact a gentle herbivore. The mystery that's surrounded this dinosaur would make it an interesting if unusual Ghost-type, while its Dragon-type comes from the fact that it and many of its relatives are from Asia - until the advent of modern science, Asian people thought that dinosaur fossils were the bones of dragons.
  • Concept Justification: As noted above, the other inspiration for this design is the Grim Reaper, who is a personification of death. Simply put, you cannot escape death - it always finds you, it always comes for you. To this end, I imagine that this CAP would be good at hunting down, trapping, and securing its victims no matter how hard they try to flee - perhaps its flavor could include its victims being pinned down by ghostly claws that don't look attached to the creature itself...

Concept C
  • Basis: I'll admit that this was a pretty unusual take on the typing, but I wanted to try designing at least one cryptid, and rather than using, say, the Loch Ness Monster or Mokele Membe (I already did the extinct creature theme with Concept B), I went with a more obscure cryptid: the Mapinguari from Brazil and Bolivia. It's described as having one eye, long claws, scaly skin, backward feet, and a second mouth on its belly; other accounts picture it as resembling either an ape or giant ground-dwelling sloth, capable of tearing apart small trees and reaching heights of 7 ft. when on its hind legs. In keeping with the typing, I emphasized the reptilian motif with a kaiju-like body shape, since some accounts show that it has crocodile-like scales that can withstand bullets, though it's also got the shaggy red fur from some other accounts on its head and limbs.
  • Type Justification: The Mapinguari is a cryptid, meaning that it's elusive, mysterious, and only known from word of mouth without scientific evidence of its existence. This makes it a good candidate for a Ghost-type, since these are traditionally rare (it's the 2nd rarest of the eighteen types, only above Ice), shun the prying eyes of humanity, and associated with the supernatural. As for the Dragon-type, the Mapinguari, aside from having scales in some accounts, is often described as being very powerful - according to its Wikipedia article, "a 1937 report from central Brazil claimed a mapinguari had gone on a three-week rampage, killing over 100 cows and ripping out the tongues from their carcasses." Yikes!
  • Concept Justification: Here's where it gets a bit tricky. The Wikipedia article states that this cryptid is slow but ferocious, but I don't recall it having trapping abilities explicitly. Nonetheless, it's stated to be able to move without making any noise even in thick vegetation, so my guess is that it's an ambush predator that can surprise its prey and pin it in place using its fangs and claws as well as its brute strength. I therefore believe this would be a very slow, tanky CAP, and trapping moves would more than make up for its inability to chase its victims down and prevent them from switching out on it.

Concept D
  • Basis: The olm, a type of cave salamander, was believed to be the larval form of some kind of dragon in medieval times. I figured that it would thus make an interesting design for a Dragon-type, but I had to think a little creatively to make it look fully-evolved like the other CAP designs are. I therefore mixed it with the Lambton Worm, a notorious serpentine dragon from England that was thrown into a well when the man whom it takes its name from discovered it. The Worm even has a head like a salamander in some accounts, so it fits. The protrusions on the sides of its head are inspired by the extinct amphibian, Diplocaulus, and each has nine slits like the dragon supposedly had on each side of its face.
  • Type Justification: Olms are cave-dwellers, and the deep, dark recesses of the earth are not conducive to the development of traditional senses such as hearing or eyesight. Thus, these salamanders' eyes are pretty much vestigial, and they've also lost all their pigment, giving them a ghastly pale appearance. It's not hard to imagine them as being ghost-like compared to their surface kin, on top of being historically thought of as dragon larvae and this CAP's Lambton Worm association.
  • Concept Justification: Similar to Concept A, the Lambton Worm is said to have immobilized its prey by coiling around it - in fact, that strategy ended up being used against it, when the man who had first found it came back to get rid of it with a suit of spiked armor that cut it apart when it attempted to constrict it. Physical trapping moves would thus be imagined as the CAP wrapping its body around its foe in a similar manner, though special trapping moves like Fire Spin might be a bit more of a stretch - perhaps it has slimy secretions that channel the elemental power of its special attacks.

WIP

To quote a certain dragon sidekick from a certain Disney movie: "I LIIIIIIIIVE!!!"

I was keeping tabs on CAP 23 ever since I returned to these forums a few weeks ago, but didn't realize that the art contest was already going until I checked back a while later. Ghost/Dragon seemed like a type combination I'd definitely be interested in, so while on work break today I doodled four conceptual sketches to fit both the type and the concept, and the justifications provided below. Now it's a matter of choosing which one to go with for the remaining duration of the contest, so if you guys could help me pick which one to stick with that'd be great. Hope you like 'em! :)

Concept A
  • Basis: The shiro-uneri is a yokai that's essentially a dishrag that forms into the shape of a dragon. I incorporated elements of a shed dragon skin, like that left by a molting snake, and fake taxidermy, with multiple bits of animal hide stitched together. I'm not particularly proud of the design, since I kinda failed at the "animal-skin rug" look, but I still think it gets the point across.
  • Type Justification: Since the shiro-uneri, being a yokai, is a supernatural being, and since it takes on the shape of a dragon, Ghost/Dragon is the perfect type combination for it. Additionally, the taxidermy-ish nature of this design lends well to the fact that it's either a reanimated dragon skin or sewn from the skins of dead dragons (dragon hide is a frequent clothing article in fantasy media).
  • Concept Justification: The behavior of the shiro-uneri is quoted from the above link: Shiro uneri flies through the air, chasing cleaning staff and servants, and attacking them by wrapping its slimy, mildewy body around their necks and heads, causing them to pass out from the stench. Occasionally, shiro uneri have killed servants by strangulation, though usually they seem more interested in mischief than murder. Note the boldfaced part - since the concept of this CAP relies on trapping moves, I can see this thing wrapping itself around its opponent and smothering it until it faints, rather like a draconic Lethifold.

Concept B
  • Basis: The dinosaur genus Therizinosaurus translates to "scythe lizard", and the Grim Reaper is commonly depicted wielding a scythe. Thus, this design is a therizinosaur whose scythes are equivalent to those of the Reaper, with the rest of its appearance modeled accordingly. Its feathers are arranged in a similar manner to the Reaper's cloak, ridges on its body resemble bones, and its face is skull-like, with just a hint of dodo bird for good measure.
  • Type Justification: Many of the known fossil specimens of Therizinosaurus are incomplete, and the first findings unearthed in 1948 consisted solely of its enormous claws, which were described in 1954 - the scientist who named them thought they were from a giant turtle! Until the 1970's, what this dinosaur looked like remained a mystery, with many assuming that it was a predator that used its claws to gut its prey, before new findings showed that it was in fact a gentle herbivore. The mystery that's surrounded this dinosaur would make it an interesting if unusual Ghost-type, while its Dragon-type comes from the fact that it and many of its relatives are from Asia - until the advent of modern science, Asian people thought that dinosaur fossils were the bones of dragons.
  • Concept Justification: As noted above, the other inspiration for this design is the Grim Reaper, who is a personification of death. Simply put, you cannot escape death - it always finds you, it always comes for you. To this end, I imagine that this CAP would be good at hunting down, trapping, and securing its victims no matter how hard they try to flee - perhaps its flavor could include its victims being pinned down by ghostly claws that don't look attached to the creature itself...

Concept C
  • Basis: I'll admit that this was a pretty unusual take on the typing, but I wanted to try designing at least one cryptid, and rather than using, say, the Loch Ness Monster or Mokele Membe (I already did the extinct creature theme with Concept B), I went with a more obscure cryptid: the Mapinguari from Brazil and Bolivia. It's described as having one eye, long claws, scaly skin, backward feet, and a second mouth on its belly; other accounts picture it as resembling either an ape or giant ground-dwelling sloth, capable of tearing apart small trees and reaching heights of 7 ft. when on its hind legs. In keeping with the typing, I emphasized the reptilian motif with a kaiju-like body shape, since some accounts show that it has crocodile-like scales that can withstand bullets, though it's also got the shaggy red fur from some other accounts on its head and limbs.
  • Type Justification: The Mapinguari is a cryptid, meaning that it's elusive, mysterious, and only known from word of mouth without scientific evidence of its existence. This makes it a good candidate for a Ghost-type, since these are traditionally rare (it's the 2nd rarest of the eighteen types, only above Ice), shun the prying eyes of humanity, and associated with the supernatural. As for the Dragon-type, the Mapinguari, aside from having scales in some accounts, is often described as being very powerful - according to its Wikipedia article, "a 1937 report from central Brazil claimed a mapinguari had gone on a three-week rampage, killing over 100 cows and ripping out the tongues from their carcasses." Yikes!
  • Concept Justification: Here's where it gets a bit tricky. The Wikipedia article states that this cryptid is slow but ferocious, but I don't recall it having trapping abilities explicitly. Nonetheless, it's stated to be able to move without making any noise even in thick vegetation, so my guess is that it's an ambush predator that can surprise its prey and pin it in place using its fangs and claws as well as its brute strength. I therefore believe this would be a very slow, tanky CAP, and trapping moves would more than make up for its inability to chase its victims down and prevent them from switching out on it.

Concept D
  • Basis: The olm, a type of cave salamander, was believed to be the larval form of some kind of dragon in medieval times. I figured that it would thus make an interesting design for a Dragon-type, but I had to think a little creatively to make it look fully-evolved like the other CAP designs are. I therefore mixed it with the Lambton Worm, a notorious serpentine dragon from England that was thrown into a well when the man whom it takes its name from discovered it. The Worm even has a head like a salamander in some accounts, so it fits. The protrusions on the sides of its head are inspired by the extinct amphibian, Diplocaulus, and each has nine slits like the dragon supposedly had on each side of its face.
  • Type Justification: Olms are cave-dwellers, and the deep, dark recesses of the earth are not conducive to the development of traditional senses such as hearing or eyesight. Thus, these salamanders' eyes are pretty much vestigial, and they've also lost all their pigment, giving them a ghastly pale appearance. It's not hard to imagine them as being ghost-like compared to their surface kin, on top of being historically thought of as dragon larvae and this CAP's Lambton Worm association.
  • Concept Justification: Similar to Concept A, the Lambton Worm is said to have immobilized its prey by coiling around it - in fact, that strategy ended up being used against it, when the man who had first found it came back to get rid of it with a suit of spiked armor that cut it apart when it attempted to constrict it. Physical trapping moves would thus be imagined as the CAP wrapping its body around its foe in a similar manner, though special trapping moves like Fire Spin might be a bit more of a stretch - perhaps it has slimy secretions that channel the elemental power of its special attacks.
I think a and b are the most draconic. b fits ghost a bit more thogh in addition to looking pretty cool so I would put advancements on b.

WIP

Concept A

Concept B

Concept C

Concept D
I personally really like the taxidermy dragon. It looks like it could be really colorful, grotesquely colorful, even, with some nice purples, blacks, greens, and oranges. Plus, how do you make most taxidermy? By trapping and capturing (and skinning) an animal. This design turns such processes on it's head by turning the trapped into the trapper, the irony of which I like a lot.
Vengeful taxidermy.
Lez go.

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
WIP

Concept C
I actually love C! Is it possible to take it more in a direction related to its big 'ol mouth? For example, this might include toning down some of the other details in order to accentuate the 'I EAT BIG STUFF' point more. If it's hungry, that gives it a reason to trap too.

One of the most common critiques of CAP art these days is that they're too busy - If you can simplify the concept as much as possible before adding color or changing small stuff it may pay off in the long run!

WIP

I don't really have an inspiration per se, it was more just something that popped into my head while I was in class. I'm currently dreading having to make the final art for this since I'm rather bad at proper shading.

Basic idea is a ghost that has possessed the skeleton of a dragon, thus imbuing it with its capabilities. The typing should be pretty obvious, especially with the color palette which is rather similar to that of Gengar. The actual creature is the plate-mouth at the bottom, though it uses the upper mask head to draw attention away from it and into the head.

For the front view, I imagine the camera is in a line with the three palette dots that can be seen in the side view, just a bit farther back.

Last edited:
I feel like this is a significant enough change to make a new post. if not ill delete and update earlier post.

I changed the colors, added more tentacles and eyes, and made the chains more chainlike.

And some critiques for literally everyone who's posted!
Mova - Thats a really good Psychic type pokemon, but im just really not seeing dragon/ghost. maybe tapir isnt the right animal. Maybe there are some mythologies about elephants in india that can be molded into a fine design?

Sgt.Moose - Good art, good design. I feel like it would need to evolve to really work. It looks like a first stage and i feel like that will end up detracting from it a bit too much. keep digging at it though, i believe in you!

Birkal - Kind of standard concept, and you didnt really do much with it. I think you can do something fantastic though! Keep working on it! Maybe go a little more detail into the graveyard on the back. Channel your inner DarkSilvania and kick this design out of the park!

Morghulis - Solid Concept. Keep developing it further. push it to the limit, you've got a cool thing here.

Magistrum - Perfect as always my dude. Just make that sexy af final art and i'll be sold <3

Okamu - hmmm, interesting concepts. WHAT IF...the neck was the incense stick and the head was the smoldering smoke of the burning incense? That could be cool.

Menshay - strong design. Only thing i could conceive of to add or change would be more bone elements but thats totally a bit overplayed. Im not sure. I'd totally dig bone elements though

Letterman4 - I would suggest maybe adding more distinctive samurai elements and details. Simplicity is king, but I would definitely say you need a /little/ more going on. However, it can still work perfectly without more details.

Chomz - yeahhhhhhh that definitely feels too anthro. I feel like it would rather be at a bdsm convention than a pokemon battle. I would suggest a new concept.

Durengardnit
- Mimic Dragon is clever, however I feel it just misses the mark on the ghost dragon typing completely. However I feel like you have the basis for a really fun idea. If you combine the mimic concept with a dragon's hoard, and maybe throw a sprinkling of pandora's box, you can make a ghostly dragon pop out of a tantalizing skull themed chest scattered with gold.

Darmico - The design feels really all over the place. The blood is probably unnecessary. Im unsure of whats going on with the head too. Does it have a bug face? Does it have a beak? Does it even have a mouth? I cant make heads or heads out of it. However, I do like the litheness of the thin frame and wings. Good Luck friend!

The Steam Punk - this is really cool, and i know you were going for a spine pattern, but it really just feels like super futuristic tron dragon. Keep playing with it and im confident you'll find something that creates the aesthetic you're going for.

EpicUmbreon29
- Good design and concept! You should 100% make the spine and other bone aspects larger and more pronounced. Not sure what the red ribbon on the head is, you could probably remove it. Good stuff though.

HeaLnDeaL - I still love spooky dragon shib, but the spikes on the tail and the definition of the face under the helmet still dont quite work. Add blue bone dragon wings maybe? even if they're small and rudimentary. maybe a ghost spine with spikes if you really want the spikes from the tail. This has potential and i want to see it come to fruition.

Quanyails - I love the tapewyrm, its very well designed. However it just feels like it lacks that "wow factor". Its still a super great design. Perhaps if you drew it in a more active pose or stance i could really feel it more. As for the chameleon, i love it, but i dont much like how it balances on its tail and the tiny legs. This one i feel could also benefit from a change in pose. hmmm. another thing i can think of is if you put more emphasis on the tongue and made it thick and whispy as well. I feel like that would be more than enough justification for any trapping aspects.

11bug - Cute cauldron dragon. I feel like you could really expand on this if you made it feel larger, thats not to say to make a larger drawing. a more snorlax approach to this guy could shoot it up the ranks for being so darn cute!

Garbagery - I like your half turtle design. I feel like the head leaves a lot to be desired though. It feels like there are a lot of lines for definition that clutters up the design. I feel like this could be fixed if you try to focus on using simpler shapes in its composition. I would absolutely suggest removing the spit spewing from the mouth as well. /i still think you should remove the circles on the arms as well/

KeeganSkymin4444 - an interesting design. It feels like a lot of the design elements were added and then justified as opposed to being fundimental to the design. The false eyes feel arbitrary and unneeded. Otherwise, it still feels more dragon/flying. Im not sure how to make it more ghostly.

HatfulofBomb - This is a cool concept for sure! I think this would be a 10/10 concept if you made it a bit more of an iron maiden. By ditching the tail, and making the body bigger as well as the ribs thicker and fewer, it could be a really fantastic design. Gah, i wish i could steal this and draw it how i see it in my head for you but thats against the rules :'( but yeah, love it m8

D4rk3r - No critique, its perfect as is. Just wanna say i super support this design <3

Reigaheres - I still really like this guy. However it still just feels like it lacks a ghost element to it. its hard to do without feeling hamfisted though so i feel your plight.

SilvanRaptor - its shit, doesnt look like a pokemon. :^)))

Epicparker - Goddamn man, that shits fucking terrifying. You could probably ditch the skeleton in the mouth, add more skeletal aspects to the limbs and you've got a solid "wouldnt want to meet that in a dark alleyway" cap!

Sunfished - What a cute design! I love it. However, im not really feeling the ghost aspect. Maybe make the wing tips whispy instead of conal.

Chuckeroo777 - I dont think it would be much of a leap in concept to change your terminator horse into a dracolich. I think the bone ideas people suggested would be a good aesthetic to approach.

Felis Lict - I think the middle sketch on the first page is really good, maybe go back to that natural feeling. I like the roof, but i feel like you could make that more organic, almost more like a shell rather than a rigid straight roof. You could turn the logs poking out into an almost skeletal rib similar to houndoom. Keep playing with this, i think you can find a good middle ground!

12MONeil - Tornado Snake could be a cool concept, but I really feel this fails to fall into the ghost/dragon typing. Keep exploring other concepts!

Hollymon - Cute AF, would vote for

Falchion - I think my favorite is the dishragon, given a little work, it could make for a really cool pokemon. Definitely look into making it more magic carpet ride though. Design B is good too, as is D, but those dont have quite the charm magic dracarpet ride mon does.

Zephias - Simple, interesting, spooky. Good Stuff, I dont think you need to change anything my dude

Last edited:

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Falchion I think concept D has the kind of otherworldly look that would suit this mon best, and olms are pretty rad in general. C is probably my second choice

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Essentially a panoply of Norse mythological references. However, it is mainly based the fact dragons are often used in art as personifications of Ragnarök, the end of the world, and Eikthyrnir, the white stag that stands upon Valhalla. Other references include its 6 limbs, as a reference to Sleipnir (though, to be fair, that beast has 8 legs), as well as its golden eyes, which reference the golden apples of Idun (which grant eternal youth).

I'll try to leave feedback for the other submissions as soon as I can. There are so many good designs this time around! n_n

WIP

http://i.imgur.com/YlQ2MoL.png

Concept A

Concept B

Concept C

Concept D
OMG, I love the D design *-*
The only problem is that it kinda looks more like Dragon/Water due to the parts at the sides (sorry for my lack of english vocabulary :/)

Second best is A imo, it looks the most dragonic. I'd love to see a bit less scetchy version of this

UPDATE TIME
MORE BODY

wooooooh
theoretical way this mon works
we could do some dhelmise stuff and make it that the skull and the claws are the actual body while the massive handcuffs and rings are just things it collected
Or the chains grow as it grows older, as the things it digests go all towards it's chain body

edit: Im testing out other versions of this one
[/hide][/hide]

Last edited:
Final Submission

MOD EDIT: Please upload to an Image hosting Website (such as Imgur or Puush) and do not use the Attach to Forum Post option. Your image also needs cleaning up as there are several "odd" patterns in your white background
Do I have to edit my post or create a new one?

WIP

Here are the flat colors. Color theory isn't one of my strengths, but I tried my best. If anyone can give me some suggestions, I'm all ears.

WIP

Here are the flat colors. Color theory isn't one of my strengths, but I tried my best. If anyone can give me some suggestions, I'm all ears.
Some of that purple fog from an earlier sketch would do well in the ribcage itself, I think.

WIPHere are the flat colors. Color theory isn't one of my strengths, but I tried my best. If anyone can give me some suggestions, I'm all ears.
I think it would look better if you made the spine glow which would give it a more intimidating appearance; if you do that I'd recommend adding some skin connecting the wing to the body to give it more surface for shading an thus emphasize the glow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)