CAP 2 Pre-evo - Part 5 - Sprite submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
chrysthehamster: The light outline on the shiny sprite's still, well, light. Still needs to be darkened. Is your leaf supposed to lean forward like that? From my perspective, it looks lopsided. I do like what you've done with the sprite's main body. :)

Juicebox 001: I feel bad for saying this, but your sprite won't work. t's saved as a JPEG, which does not save the colors accurately. :/ You're going to have to redo the entire sprite in a lossless format to make it valid for the next step. Also, the backsprites don't look too round. If they're not meant to look round, then make it look less flat. :P The dots you have just look stuck-on, rather than as a part of the sprite itself.

Quanyails, mentioned that i'd have to redo my sprite in a lossless format. I just don't know what that is. Could you please clarify? (forgive me if I sound like a pokemon spriting noob. I'm new to this!!!) I'll try to make the back sprites look more round aswell.

What she means is that you need to redo your sprite and save it as a gif file. Compressing your sprite into a JPEG generates artifacts that lower the image quality.

All these entries and I'm still posting my own, I must be nuts

Meh, here goes

Y/N?

(And congratulations Mos, your art finally won! I've been loving your stuff since CAP1's prevo, and everything you produced since was epic~)

I like that rendering a lot, Ice-cold, the pose is great, and it brings out the eyes and teeth which are always tricky in pixels. The leaf is over-saturated. Mos' pic carries over Necturna's khaki-green, dead foliage feel. I think yours is currently the most proportionate sprite, followed closely by Quanyails' which is also very good.

On another note, I'd love to see quite a radical shiny palette - more Poke-Ghost and less Poke-Grass. Perhaps gengar-purple? Just throwing that out there. I know there's often a drive to match the shiny to the evo, though.

Here is my WIP / shiny colors WIP:

Comments would be greatly appreciated, and I'll begin working on the backsprites!

Again, thanks Quanyails for all the suggestions. You've been very helpful. I made a few edits, particularly the back spikes and berry shading. The curve of the leaf/tuft I made intentionally opposite Mos' artwork. Now I'd have to submit this is my final submission, because I may not be able to log in often within the week, but if there are any more suggestions when I do log in I'd be very happy to edit it in.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ice-cold Claws: I think you made the eyes really good; they, and the rest of the sprite, look alert. Yes, the leaf is very green compared to Mos's ocher, but that's a simple recolor to make. The tips of the leaves look a little wrinkly, if that's anything to straighten. The teeth are nicely visible with that lowered perspective, that it doesn't blend into the black. One thing is that it is a bit taller than it is wide; the vertical angle of the leaf gives it a cat-like quality. A bit of artistic license you took, hmm?

ikasu: Well, I have some tips for you: The front's features are misaligned; the eyes and 'petals' are at odd angles. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. :) The back looks like little waves rather than pointed spikes; in that case, the edges will have to be sharpened. The shading needs to be less contour to be more proper and standard.

zyrefredric: All right. Don't know when you'll return, but if you could fix the right leaf on the front sprite and left leaf on the back sprite so it doesn't look pinched at the end, that would be great. The top right edge of the front sprite still looks a bit angled, so one pixel moved would make it more curved. Yay for the recolored green!

Ok thanks guys.

T&B: I hope the leaf's desaturated enough now (gaah colorblindness). Any less and it wouldn't correctly evolve into Necturna's dark-orangy-green.
I did try purple for the shiny too (it was the shiny color for my Necturna sprite!) and now the eyes look like very delicious berries. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Quanyails: Point taken, I...tried to fix the leaves but they looked worse off than before so I scrapped it :<
And yeah, I tend to exaggerate proportions in my sprites (contrary to what T&B said). Like in my Tomohawk sprite for CAP1.
Excellent sprites by the way, cuteness aside it also does a fine job of imitating elementalpenguin's style. As in the transition shading and everything. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but you get bonus points for it anyway.

Everyone else: I would comment on your sprites like I used to do a lot in Scratchet's sprite thread, but it seems Quanyails has taken up the job. He's a good critic =)
I can't think of other things to say, except good job and keep it up!

Looking good, I like the shiny, a raspberry/blackberry contrast happening there. I don't know if it'll help spriting, but Mos has obviously taken cues from the Liechi berry, so I'm tending towards sprites that look like they might be to hide among a pile of those.

Ice-cold Claws, I am likin' that sprite! One thing though, I'm wondering if you would be able to shorten the front legs by a single pixel? just so's I can compare :)

(also ty for the compliments <3)

Ikasu's is also round and cute, but I would advise making the outline darker on the lit side; having that part entirely without black makes the sprite too soft-looking.

here is my sprite:

comments?

Ice cold Claws: I agree with mos-quitoxe. You have to try to shorten the front legs
quanyails: I love it :) The eyes are a bit to small to my opinion

ok. so ive fiddled with the leaf quite alot trying to center itand make it lean back
i think that im almost done but any suggestions would be appreciated
again thanks to quanyails

id also like to say that i really like everyones differnt entries and keep it up

My thanks go to Quanyails for informing me that my picture format was bad before the time ran out and to Mos-Quitoxe for telling me what to do about it. These are my sprites for CAP-2's Pre-evo mark two. I have upgraded the shading on both the front and back sprites to make them look more round than they were. Any more suggestions are still welcome. Here are the sprites.

Ice-cold Claws: Personally I think that the leaf on it's head is too large for the body. Apart from that, I think it's a great sprite. (But that's just my opinion, you don't have to do it if you don't want to)

I like all the spites but to comment on them all would take forever!!!!!!!!

Awww, I don't stand a chance at all....

Still edited it. I made it look more dark, and moved the eyes up, as suggested by Quanyails

Quanyails, your shiny back sprite is shaded a bit differently fron the normal back sprite in the top right, and there\'s an extra pixel on the left.

Ok I got inspired and made my sprite MUCH better!

Just look at it!

PS: Thanks Chrysthehamster! You comment cheers me up!

Ok I got inspired and made my sprite MUCH better!

Just look at it!

PS: Thanks Chrysthehamster! You comment cheers me up!
Much better :)
I think you should move the dark-line (right of the right eye (for us)) a little bit more to the right. For the rest, I think it's a lovely sprite :)

Ps: Yay, another Dutch artist :D

Noobiess I must ask, was the color change of the stem and surrounding accoutrements on your regular sprite an intentional one?

Much better :)
I think you should move the dark-line (right of the right eye (for us)) a little bit more to the right. For the rest, I think it's a lovely sprite :)

Ps: Yay, another Dutch artist :D

Ok, do you mean the line ON the eye or the line NEXT TO the eye?

I'm going to edit the leaf on the backsprite and the upper spike on the front sprite, though.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Say, noobiess, I've tried pixel-bigger eyes. Better? Worse? Kinda big to me...

Nice catch, Toa Tahu. I must've not updated my shinies correctly when I went over some details. Fixed.

Ice-cold Claws: Did not intend that. XD But thank you. One small thing that bugs me is how at the corner of the right eye, there's a red pixel for the eye, but the left one is round at that left corner. A teeny asymmetry in your entire sprite. I'm not too fond of the new colors, since they're cool colors compared to the warm shades of the original; I don't know how much you can differentiate, but the colors are, though, closer to the original than before.

noobiess: Aw, it's sorta sitting on the ground and stuff. :) I like it. The leaves and the top of the leaf are a bit polygonal, so some curves should do to round them. You sure you mean to leave a set of teeth out? The shading's nice, I must say.

chrysthehamster: I'm not sure if I understand which way the leaf is supposed to go, since it looks lopsided still from my perspective.

Juicebox 001: The lineart of the right 'petal' of the front sprite is a bit uneven; the lines make it look like three curved segments, rather than one. The leaf on the sprite looks a bit too bulbous and symmetrical compared to the rest of the sprite. I think you're emphasizing the space between the two ramifications. The crease on the back seems a bit too prominent and sticks out, instead of it being a contour. I suggest a lighter shade to give more of a suggestion rather than a direct line.

MikaDo: Hmm... It still feels like the sprite is too long, as the fruit seems to 'pinch' at the leaf area and flop down from there. I think I know why it still seems oddly-shaped; the black part of the fruit is too far down for it to be round. If you move that curve up and to the right, it'd fit with the rest of the roundness.

Daaaw, I feel like my soft, plump little fruit's going to be overshadowed by the sharper sprites. X3

Since I'm colorblind, probably not XD
Wich color should it be?
aha! that explains it. Also a pretty big coincidence to have two colorblind spriters on this site.

So the leaf/stem should be brown, a similar shade of brown in fact to the one you used on your shiny! Also the belly area I can see is a dark green too, it should be black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)