BW2 Move Tutors - LC Discussion

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What we know:

• The first move tutor is in Driftveil City. He can teach Covet and Bug Bite, which cost 2 Red Shards; Drill Run, Bounce, Signal Beam, and Iron Head for 4; Super Fang and Uproar for 6; and Seed Bomb, Dual Chop, Low Kick, Thunderpunch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Gunk Shot for an unknown amount.
  • The second move tutor teaches the moves Last Resort and Iron Defense for 2 Blue Shards, Magnet Rise and Magic Coat for 4, Block, Hyper Voice, Electroweb, and Icy Wind for 6. Other moves he teaches include Iron Tail, Aqua Tail, Earth Power, Zen Headbutt, Foul Play, Superpower, Gravity, Dragon Pulse, and Dark Pulse
  • The third move tutors teaches Bind and Snore for 2 Yellow Shards, Heal Block and Knock Off for 4, Synthesis and Roost for 6, Sky Attack and Role Play for 8. Move Tutor also has Heat Wave, Giga Drain, Drain Punch, Pain Split, and Tailwind for an unknown amount of shards.
  • The fourth (and last?) move tutor teaches Worry Seed, Gastro Acid, Helping Hand, After You, Magic Room, Wonder Room, Spite, Recycle, Trick, Stealth Rock, Outrage, Endeavor, Sleep Talk, Skill Swap, Snatch.
Discuss who's probably gonna get what. More facts as they become available.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here's a (revised) list.

Biggest things so far: Golett is actually going to be okay! It got quite a few boosts, so now its barren movepool will be expanded. Stealth Rock is cool too.

ELECTROWEB MAGNEMITE AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

oh god heat wave woobat with simple

elemental punches on timburr are cool

tailwind cotonee hmmm

yay superpower axew, say goodbye to pure dragon-type sets (it also got aqua tail)

LOL ROOST ARCHEN

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i'll edit this and stuff as i go u.u

Numel getting Curse is nice, even if it's not a move tutor :<

HypnoBronzor ;-;

Natu and Missy getting Magic Room scares the hell out of me. It probably makes Scraggy pretty happy and pretty borked.

Archen got Roost, so it might not suck anymore.

I like Golett getting the punches for Iron Fist :>

Ray Jay

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Murkrow with Heat Wave and Prankster blows my mind.

I'm a bit bummed Mienfoo didn't get the elemental punches or Dark Pulse, tho :(

Scraggy and a whole bunch of other pokes got Knock Off, hooray!

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
O hoho Knock Off, Magic Room, Roost, and Sleep Talk, Little Cup seems interesting again.

Rufflet might be usable now with some kind of BU SubRoost set maybe? Probably not, but I'll have fun fucking items to oblivion using Knock Off and Magic Room spam.

Golett will actually be worth using now perhaps as Iss said which will be great as it's one of the cutest gen 5 designs :3 (if it gets drain punch I'll be so happy)

Defensive tirtouga will get a big boost with SR being legal on it now.

Axew was great even without coverage, but with superpower. Holy guacamole. Definetely something to look out for soon. Maybe deino too.

With roost and SR, archen could now potentially be a pretty good offensive SR setter.

Zen headbutt pawniard will be cool if it gets it.

Ray Jay

One thing we discussed on irc is that Lileep now can use Giga Drain with its DW ability. This is a pretty big boon for sandstorm, but that's not all sandstorm got. Sandshrew is basically Drilbur with a few downsides but Night Slash and Knock Off (still gets Swords Dance, btw). Tirtouga got buffed with SR and can now be a more viable choice for a Specially Defensive wall in Sandstorm. So yeah sandstorm got buffed!

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
All B/W mons now having access to Sleep Talk opens up a lot of options.

Also Drill Run Spearow yessssssss

if only tailow got super power....(or even dril run... sigh...)
And i love the addition of knock off :D
And im so gonna use sandshrew when it gets its DW :D, bulk and awesomeness!? YES PLEASE!
Im not sure sleep talk will have to much of an effect with the BW sleep mechanics and no new or better clerics. The one thing im thinking would really love it is timbur, guts boosted attacks+proper recovery anyone? if facade finally gets the boost from sleep then teddiura would be amazing with restalk facade and quick feet(asuming sleep talk isnt bias to rest..)
Maybe cyndaquil would get some usage, i mean, flash fire boosted STAB eruption is epic, heat wave and fire blast for back ups is nice. It can 2HKO everything not immune to it or resistance i think. Even lileep in sand is 2HKOed.

One thing we discussed on irc is that Lileep now can use Giga Drain with its DW ability. This is a pretty big boon for sandstorm, but that's not all sandstorm got. Sandshrew is basically Drilbur with a few downsides but Night Slash and Knock Off (still gets Swords Dance, btw). Tirtouga got buffed with SR and can now be a more viable choice for a Specially Defensive wall in Sandstorm. So yeah sandstorm got buffed!
Then you be playin Sandshrew very wrong.

Also SS doesn't really need Special walls......Lileep has stupid SpD not even Specs Ice Beams do shit.

Are we forgetting about Sheer Force Totodile? It could even go Scarf with Waterfall / Ice Punch / Crunch / Superpower(or something). The only mon that can take Waterfall + Ice Punch + Crunch is Ferroseed, and Ice Punch still hurts.

Forgot scarf, imagine that with DD... Water Fall/Ice Punch/Crunch for coverage, golden.

Now, waterfall has a STAB boost, x.5, sheer force boost, x.3, and life orb boost(no recoild :D), x.3. Try standing up to that. If you can take a waterfall, odds are you cant take the coverage option, if only totodile got earth quake.

Are we allowed to talk about new moves picked up from updated learnsets, as well?

Remoraid and Buizel learning Hydro Pump is interesting if nothing else.

im wondering if dark pulse will be used on murkrow, it's a great STAB move but forces it to run mixed if it wants its priority, sucker punch. I was going to run a semi bulky, fast subkrow with dark pulse but realised sucker punch would be sorely missed since i need the flying STAB or some of the mons it should be countering will start countering it.

im wondering if dark pulse will be used on murkrow, it's a great STAB move but forces it to run mixed if it wants its priority, sucker punch. I was going to run a semi bulky, fast subkrow with dark pulse but realised sucker punch would be sorely missed since i need the flying STAB or some of the mons it should be countering will start countering it.
dark pulse is really great on murkrow (just from facing it). generally when missy predicts the stab sucker punch WoW just cleans it's clock, but now with the regrettably weaker dark pulse auto WoW isn't necessarily always the best thing, definatly rounds out it's missy coverage quite nicely. as for coverage idk as i generally orce it down before it can do much more after the WoW. so i suppose your point is valid

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Choice Scarf Murkrow is probably one of the more underrated threats in the metagame. It has great sweeping and revenging power between Brave Bird, Dark Pulse, and Heat Wave/Sucker Punch. The only problem is being Stealth Rock weak, but there are quite a few ways to fix that issue. Hidden Power Grass is also viable to take out annoyances like Chinchou and defensive Tirtouga. It's also a great Scraggy check, as you outspeed at +1 and OHKO with Brave Bird. With Insomnia, you can switch into Foongus without worry and use one of your moves on the predicted switch.

im not quite sure what viash was trying to say but dark pulse isnt weaker than sucker punch...
But yeah i can see murkrow getting even more use now, prankster sets could utilise roost/heat wave/brave bird or drill peck/sucker punch or dark pulse to deal out alot of damage. Im wondering if subroostkrow could aford to ditch sucker punch and go for dark pulse but mix subkrow doesnt work the way i see it.

im not quite sure what viash was trying to say but dark pulse isnt weaker than sucker punch...
But yeah i can see murkrow getting even more use now, prankster sets could utilise roost/heat wave/brave bird or drill peck/sucker punch or dark pulse to deal out alot of damage. Im wondering if subroostkrow could aford to ditch sucker punch and go for dark pulse but mix subkrow doesnt work the way i see it.

In retrospect, i'm not so sure what i was trying to say either. opting for the pulse over punch does allow the possibility of bypassing setup moves, but why not just use taunt. (that came out much better imo)

well, taunt doesnt deal damage if your trying to say 'use taunt>sucker punch', if your trying to say that if we dont like sucker punch being unreliable to use taunt alongside it then i say 'why would we dedicate half the moveset to using a priority move with the ability to bypass set up when the most common setter upper x4 resists it?'

Ray Jay

SETTER UPPERS OP

Anyways Viash's point was that Sucker Punch on Scarf Murkrow baits set up moves so hard. I agree, don't use Scarf Murkrow use Life Orb; now with Heat Wave and 100% more Prankster.

Also I'm pretty sure Lileep w/ dream world and Giga Drain is like the greatest thing ever... who's with me?

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
giga drain storm drain lileep is a god. now i actually enjoy using lileep lol

also scarf krow is a beast. sucker punch is still needed cause of no crunch and i like my insomnia krow for lo anyway cause of shroomish and foongus and the gay execute. while sp is set up bait its really easy to know who is setting up and then krow can come in later and revenge CAUSE ITS USING A SCARF

why would LO krow use prankster? dark pulse/brave bird/heat wave/sucker punch which one of those uses it? insomnia is way better.
Ohh and why exactly do you need sucker punch on scarf murkrow? Still, lets say scraggy switches into sucker punch, DDs as you switch out and DDs again as you switch in, it now outspeeds you and you're back to suckerpunch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)