buz zwol.e

resisting the urge to derail any conversation slightly related to gen 7 so i can go on a rant about how the ultra games ruined lillie's entire character arc

do you ever think about how in gen 3, for a lot of existing pokemon the artists just added more color to the existing gen 2 sprites. example:
I have a few times, actually! I thought it was pretty distracting as a child when sprites that probably needed a little touch up just got more color and larger.

1713307505123.png
1713307512818.png

Although honestly the touch ups they did where they kept the original as a base were uhh questionable. Maybe dull round-looking skarmory is a better fate than caked-up feraligatr.

1713307741513.png
1713307728117.png

Side note to a side note: it's kind of weird that some back sprites, particularly the babies, had a drop shadow in Gen 2. I guess they sell the whole scope of miniscule size, but I'm glad at least Gen 3 did away with those.

1713307865129.png
1713307873904.png

Honestly, I love the two color + white dithering Pokemon ran with for Gen 2 so much. The Gen 3 versions of these sprites feel a bit dull to me by comparison. They radiate a sort of "children's toy" energy that I don't think they really cleaved through until the final release of DP; even the beta sprites have that sort of gen 3 look to them. Glad we got the really nice and clean anime style Gen 4 sprites to replace all this.

I'm sure buzzwole would agree with me. He told me dithering is cool once. I promise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)