SS OU Bulky offense with DD-nite

https://pokepast.es/52554cbce530d6bf

The team concept is fairly to the point. Wanted to make a bulky core that can maintain initiative with u-turn/teleport with both specs/scarf and a sweeper in the back.

Landorus has a special defensive spread, so it can cover a wide variety of threats combined with intimidate. Slowbro is very physically defensively so I decided to not do that with Landorus. EQ/U-turn/Stealth Rocks/Defog is standard. Zapdos has specs so I had to fit defog on Landorus. Probably would have used knock off otherwise.

Heatran is specially defensive and is meant to break stall with taunt/toxic while still having an offensive presence with magma and earth power. I don't want to get walled by other Heatrans. It is also my Volcarona counter as I would otherwise get murdered by it.

Out of order but Slowbro is the physically defensive fatass. I don't have a great switch-in to dark types, especially not versus defiant Bisharp, so I opted to use colbur here. The moveset is as standard as it gets so I feel like I don't have to explain a lot here.

I like having a specs or banded user on my team for immediate power. Usually, I'm a fan of volt switch so I wanted to use an electric type here. Opted to use Zapdos over Koko as I like having the flying/fire coverage. I noticed that many opponents don't expect Zapdos to be specs and I've managed to catch some Ferrothorns off-guard. Generally speaking, it does what it needs to do and doesn't need to be fancy.

I saw this Dragonite spread in a Blunder video and wanted to try it out. It lurks in the background, patiently waiting for the rest of the team to slowly wear down the opponent with volt switch and stealth rocks. It doesn't have a STAB move but it still does what it needs to do. Its job is to only make an appearance when the situation is ready for it and he is great and cleaning up the rest.

Finally the team desperate needed speed. Despite having Zapdos, I still struggle with ground and water types. Especially when they are combined in the same pokemon. A grass type was the logical choice. Even with a choice scarf it still has enough raw power to be a threat. While not as strong as it was in the previous gen with Z-moves it still is a fantastic mon. Its coverage isn't amazing as you often can't really lock in a move as it would be walled by the next mon so out of all the team members this one feels the most lacklustre.

As you can see, ground and water types are a nuisance and I especially get clowned by rain teams. Please rate my team and give me suggestions on how I can patch up holes and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Overall you have a collection of solid pokemon, but I think some of the sets are a bit off.
Lando: I'd run 0 speed EVs and 30 speed IVs to get a slower uturn against competing Lando. Move Rocks to Heatran, and replace the slot with Toxic.
Heatran: You can keep Toxic, or replace it since it's now on Lando. In your post you commented about wanted Heatran to not get walled by other Heatran, but the problem is any Air Balloon Heatran completely walls this set anyways without a third attack to break said Balloon. Heavy Slam could be considered because outside of Kartana it looks like you could have some serious Clef problems.
Zapdos: I can't say I've ever been a fan of Specs Zap. Electric is a risky attack type until you have eliminated grounds, and Zap inherently has great coverage that you don't want to be locked out of.
Dragonite: Once again, offensive Dragonite seems to fall short for me every time I've used it compared to the bulkier sets.
Slowbro: You have Colbur Berry but no Body Press, so you actually can't lure and beat Weavile/Bishard with this Slowbro. Replace Scald with Body Press or just use the normal Heavy-Duty Boots.
Kartana: This is fine.

You really shouldn't be struggling that bad with Ground/Water types and rain teams. Kartana obliterates any of these mons that don't outrun it, and you also have Zap/Dnite/Slowbro who are all known checks to rain structures. I suspect it's because a) You are lacking the defensive investment needed to act as checks, b) are possibly playing the match up incorrectly, or c) both. Your defensive checks in Lando and Heatran lack good recovery, and the offensive Zap and Dnite while having recovery, don't exactly hit the hardest out of the gate (especially since Dnite isn't slotting a single STAB move). Because of this your "bulk" is really more an illusion than it is practical.

I've changed the spread on lando and moveset on slowbro and see where that will get me. After some testing I'll look into the other suggestions

Overall you have a collection of solid pokemon, but I think some of the sets are a bit off.
Lando: I'd run 0 speed EVs and 30 speed IVs to get a slower uturn against competing Lando. Move Rocks to Heatran, and replace the slot with Toxic.
Heatran: You can keep Toxic, or replace it since it's now on Lando. In your post you commented about wanted Heatran to not get walled by other Heatran, but the problem is any Air Balloon Heatran completely walls this set anyways without a third attack to break said Balloon. Heavy Slam could be considered because outside of Kartana it looks like you could have some serious Clef problems.
Zapdos: I can't say I've ever been a fan of Specs Zap. Electric is a risky attack type until you have eliminated grounds, and Zap inherently has great coverage that you don't want to be locked out of.
Dragonite: Once again, offensive Dragonite seems to fall short for me every time I've used it compared to the bulkier sets.
Slowbro: You have Colbur Berry but no Body Press, so you actually can't lure and beat Weavile/Bishard with this Slowbro. Replace Scald with Body Press or just use the normal Heavy-Duty Boots.
Kartana: This is fine.

You really shouldn't be struggling that bad with Ground/Water types and rain teams. Kartana obliterates any of these mons that don't outrun it, and you also have Zap/Dnite/Slowbro who are all known checks to rain structures. I suspect it's because a) You are lacking the defensive investment needed to act as checks, b) are possibly playing the match up incorrectly, or c) both. Your defensive checks in Lando and Heatran lack good recovery, and the offensive Zap and Dnite while having recovery, don't exactly hit the hardest out of the gate (especially since Dnite isn't slotting a single STAB move). Because of this your "bulk" is really more an illusion than it is practical.
Most landos are going with anything from 23 speed ivs to 0 ivs with a negative speed nature in extreme cases.

Thank you for the insight, I haven't played this game since the beginning of this gen so I've been out of the loop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)