Bug Reports v4 -- POST BUGS HERE https://www.smogon.com/forums/ps-bug-report-form/

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is wrong - Outrage only confuses the user once ended on its own. In other words, if Outrage hits an immunity then the user is not confused.
I can't speak for Petal Dance, Thrash, or Raging Fury as I have never used them on cartridge but I assume they follow the same mechanic.
This is a new change in Gen 9.
A veeery minor (or maybe not, considering the reactions) discovery, but if Outrage is disrupted on the first turn due to a Fairy-type switch-in, the user immediately becomes Confused. In older gens, the move would just be disrupted and no confusion would be afflicted.

I did not test other disruption possibilities (missing, etc) but I believe they work the same.

Pokemon Showdown Bug Reports
:sm/genesect: :sm/charjabug: :ss/orbeetle:
No, not those kinds of bugs!
This thread is specifically for reporting Pokemon Showdown bugs with battle mechanics or chat commands.

If you have a different issue, there is probably another thread somewhere related to that topic:
In all cases, be sure to read the first post of the thread you're posting in!

Rules
Please report bugs by posting in this thread, not by reporting this post (yes, it happens). But before reporting, try these steps first to see if it's actually a bug:
  1. Check the lists of Not Bugs in the 2nd post of this thread.
  2. Save a replay of the battle (use the
    button or the "/savereplay" command). If it's a visual bug, also take a screenshot to include in your post. Although not required, cartridge footage, such as a YouTube or Twitter video, can be helpful to better understand the bug you're reporting.
  3. Look up the relevant Pokemon/moves/Abilities/items on the PSdex and the first post of the Smogon Battle Mechanics Research thread. If neither explains the behavior you saw, consider asking about it in the Help room. If no one there can explain it, feel free to post the bug here.
  4. Make sure your opponent's Pokemon isn't Zorua or Zoroark.
  5. Make sure no one has reported this bug on the last page or two of the thread.
  6. Make sure this bug exists on the official server, with no custom styles enabled.
If you are posting a large screenshot, please insert it inside a spoiler or put HIDE tags around it. [HIDE]a screenshot[/HIDE]
View attachment 243085

Bug Triage Process (aka why did my post get edited)

After you make a post, it will eventually be edited by a member of Pokemon Showdown staff to update the post on the progress of the bug report. You will see "BUG STATUS:", followed by one of these criteria:
  • NOT A BUG: the bug you posted isn't actually a bug at all; Showdown behaves exactly like it would on the actual games in the situation you posted about. Alternatively, this is an intended feature in Pokemon Showdown that is working the way it was designed to work.
  • WRONG PLACE: the interaction you posted might be a bug, but it belongs in another bug report thread, like the damage calc bug report thread, or potentially a thread for a particular OM. You also might have posted a suggestion or a technical support question, which belong in their own separate places.
  • NEEDS MORE INFO: you might have posted a bug, but without a replay or screenshot, it is much more difficult to recreate and fix. Please post again with the additional information or edit it into your post.
  • NEEDS MORE RESEARCH: this bug requires additional research into its behavior on cartridge to make sure it's really a bug.
  • CONFIRMED: This is a bug! Showdown developers have added it on their to-do list to fix. Note that Showdown developers work for free on their own time, so please be patient as the bug is being addressed. We've seen your post! There may be additional information added afterwards to clarify the type of bug:
    • CONFIRMED - MECHANICS (SERVER) - this is a bug with the fundamental interaction of the mechanic. It's a bug with how the interaction works, or functions.
    • CONFIRMED - MECHANICS (CLIENT) - this is a bug with the display / visual issue of the mechanic. It functions correctly, but tooltips or other visual elements are bugged to make it appear buggy. This would include replay display bugs.
    • CONFIRMED - TEAMBUILDER - this is a bug relating to the Showdown teambuilder.
    • CONFIRMED - LEGALITY - this is a bug where a Pokemon is allowed in a format where it shouldn't be allowed, or it isn't allowed in a format where it should be allowed.
    • CONFIRMED - CHAT (SERVER) - this is a bug related to the functionality of commands, permissions, or in general how something functions in the chat.
    • CONFIRMED - CHAT (CLIENT) - this is a bug with pretty much how anything looks or feels, or a bug with commands processed on the user's side.
    • CONFIRMED - SPRITE - a sprite needs fixed or uploaded.
    • CONFIRMED - OTHER - a catch-all if another category doesn't work.
Once it's finished, you'll see your post changed to:
  • FIXED: The bug has been fixed! Thanks for helping to keep Showdown bug-free!
Old Bug Reports thread v3
I have a visual where the pokemons and the characters dont have their usual colors and its so annoying.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-1961857071
1696681951276.png

Heyo there is an incorrect implementation of the interaction of nature locked, nature minted pokemon and the recovery pinch berries. You see the disliking of a certain taste is linked to the pokemon's original nature even if its been nature minted. For example if an Adamant Ogerpon consumes an Iapapa berry it will still become confused because its nature locked to Lonely. However this is not how it works on showdown as seen in this replay I know this is quite unintuitive, and somewhat irrelevant but I felt it deserved mentioning. (Thanks to Siegfried for helping me test :D)
Replay for proof: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1961925296-0u53wyrx5pr2ca0cgz1o16xgwnu0vpipw

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
This is a new change in Gen 9.
Pokemon Database, which I generally find to be more reliable then Bulbapedia, refutes this claim (link).
If my memory serves me correctly, MWL is incorrect, though admittedly I haven't seen the interaction in awhile so I could be misremembering. Would someone be able to test it out (and preferably record the interaction)?
Outrage being broken by a Fairy-type switchin confuses if it's the last turn of Outrage. A 2-turn Outrage can still confuse if a Fairy-type switches in on the second turn (but if it's a 3-turn Outrage and you switch in on the second turn, you don't get a confusion).
Can someone please tell me how booster energy interacts with sticky web? Because it seems completely inconsistent. In one replay, it activates before sticky web lowers the pokemon's speed, giving iron moth a speed boost. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1958072043
In another replay, it activates after webs lowers the pokemon's speed, giving iron valiant an attack boost. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1958127889
One way or another this is an inconsistency and a bug that needs to be fixed but I'm not sure which way it works on cartridge.
From my testing, Sticky Web activates before Booster.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Game Freak did a funny with Bloodmoon Ursaluna that appears to be currently overlooked on PS. This was brought to our attention by at least one Japanese player on PS and BSS Discord asking why Yawn was illegal on PS, but Bloodmoon Ursaluna should have access to all of regular Ursaluna's egg moves. Right now all of these moves are flagged as illegal on PS, but the Mirror Herb method still successfully passes any Ursaluna egg move to Bloodmoon Ursaluna. This was tested on cart by Whitephoenixace, credit to him for the screenshot below.

This is potentially unintended because Ursaluna-BM can learn Close Combat via "egg move" despite the fact that it cannot learn it via TM, and the majority of these moves are physical and thus useless for it. However, Yawn does appear in Ursaluna-BM's top 10 moves in BSS (at around 2% usage) so these moves appear to pass the legality check for ranked.

Screenshot 2023-10-07 085439.png

Ursa BM Egg Moves.jpg

The interaction between Clangorous Soul + Throat Spray against a mon with a Mirror Herb doesn't work on Showdown as it does in-game.
In-game, the mon that goes for Clangorous Soul will get both the omni boost and the Throat Spray trigger for the additional +1 sp.atk boost, which then triggers Mirror Herb on the opposing mon, giving them both the omni boost and that additional Throat Spray sp.atk boost.
While on Showdown, Mirror Herb will trigger immediately after Clangorous Soul, giving only the omni boost, and after wards the Throat Spray triggers giving the additional +1 sp.atk only to the mon that used Clangorous Soul.
In-Game interaction: https://www.twitch.tv/churroshu/clip/AcceptableWonderfulWatercressPeteZarollTie-u9BpbHvgSpnaC0jl
Showdown interaction: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen91v1-1962000241

Last edited:
There is an interaction between intimidate and pokémon holding the eject pack that for some reason works differently on PS than it does in the game. The issue being that in-game if a pokemon like Torkoal with drought is sent into battle at the same time as an opposing pokemon with intimidate, both abilities will activate before the eject pack is used up and switches out Torkoal after drought sets up harsh sunlight. On Showdown however, they interact with the abilities activating in order of speed as usual, but if intimidate activates before drought (which it does pretty often in Torkoal's case), Torkoal will be ejected immediately before having the chance to set up sunlight.
Hopefully in the future I won't have to hold back my poor Torkoal (pictured below) every single time i see my opponent using a Landorus-T lol.
1696779024753.png

somebody please save the turtles!

There is an interaction between intimidate and pokémon holding the eject pack that for some reason works differently on PS than it does in the game. The issue being that in-game if a pokemon like Torkoal with drought is sent into battle at the same time as an opposing pokemon with intimidate, both abilities will activate before the eject pack is used up and switches out Torkoal after drought sets up harsh sunlight. On Showdown however, they interact with the abilities activating in order of speed as usual, but if intimidate activates before drought (which it does pretty often in Torkoal's case), Torkoal will be ejected immediately before having the chance to set up sunlight.
Hopefully in the future I won't have to hold back my poor Torkoal (pictured below) every single time i see my opponent using a Landorus-T lol.
View attachment 559361
somebody please save the turtles!
i can confirm this interaction as well as someone who actively used a team with torkoal on cart in july for bss. I often took advantage of landorus t activating eject pack when torkoal came in so i can get my sun up and not have to worry about torkoal taking dmg before i bring my sun abuser in

From my testing, Sticky Web activates before Booster.
Tested ingame, can confirm it is messed up as well. On showdown, hard switching into a booster energy pokemon when webs are up will result in a boost going off before sticky web, erroneously boosting speed. This should be a high-priority fix because sticky webs and booster energy are both extremely meta relevant in current OU, and a sticky web team can absolutely lose the game off the incorrectly applied speed boost.

I have noticed two bugs with uploading teams:

1. You can upload both regular teams and boxes to the Showdown database, but it's only able to save them as regular teams.
Screenshot 2023-10-10 002152.png

(Before uploading team)

Screenshot 2023-10-10 002310.png

(After uploading team and reloading page)

2. Small, but the Tera Type will for some reason change to all lowercase when uploaded.
Screenshot 2023-10-10 002221.png

(Before uploading team)

Screenshot 2023-10-10 002329.png

(After uploading team and reloading page)

I noticed a bug with the new feature, uploading teams to the server. Only on the teams that I save to the server, the Tera types for some reason end up being wrong. For example, I login on another computer and then log into my account. Then when it loads my teams up, the right tera type is shown but uncapitalized. Then instead, it has the fitting tera type "Bug" as my mons tera type. Then if making a pokepaste, the tera types end up being messed up as well. As a team rater, I look at pastes alot and need to paste them into my builder quickly, but it also messes up the paste too. (I guess the formatting is weird so it fails). In my experience, it only happens if you upload it to the server.

Hope this is resolved, Thanks Alot :blobthumbsup:.

P.S. I asked about the bug to my friend, they can confirm that it also is effecting them. Also, tested it more, and the second you upload it onto the servers, the tera types go all weird.

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 8.11.42 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 8.13.05 PM.png

:zygarde: should be fixed, reupload the teams with problematic tera types

Last edited by a moderator:
I was playing Random Battle Mayhem and halfway through the game the abilities of my Pokemon changed; on turn 13 my Espathra with Speed Boost was ko'd, next turn opponent used U-Turn and I attacked, with my Iron Moth that didn't have Speed Boost earlier on in the battle but suddenly did, and my Dondozo that was later swapped in also gained the ability.
Replay of battle: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9randombattlemayhem-1965399108
Random Battle Mayhem is Random Battles but with a few mods, one of which is Shared Power, where Pokémon share their Ability once they've been sent out.

Unsure where exactly to put this but I noticed if you import a team from the server and then later make changes to it, the team icon that shows when you select a team to ladder with shows it with the changes, but the battle screen and teambuilder show it as if those changes were never made.
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 11.02.52 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 11.03.10 AM.png

As you can see here, this Godly Gift team has Hoopa Unbound in one image but Iron Moth in the other.
BUG STATUS (CLIENT) Fixed: by Mia
:zygarde: was part of the teams overwriting bug, should be fixed now - refresh to get the new code

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1965913770-b3pu0ibev1wrojid6ndhlur37qhawx3pw
Turn 4, i missed Chloroblast with Electrode-Hisui and didn't take damage, even though the description of the move says that "whether or not this move is successful [...] the user loses 1/2 of its maximum HP". I couldn't find whether if it works like that on cartridge (thus making the description inaccurate) or if it's a bug.
Chloroblast works more like Struggle than Mind Blown and Steel Beam, it only damages the user when it successfully hits.
The description is outdated, it was written at the start of SV when it was assumed that it was identical to Steel Beam, but further research has revealed that if is not.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Pretty significant bug I encountered while Laddering:

I initially built this webs team:
1697206584181.png

Then later on, made a copy of the team, switching one member out:
1697206608845.png

Now whenever I queue a game on the ladder, while having my New Team selected:
1697206639536.png

It pulls me into the game with my old team:
1697206681052.png

Unsure if this is due to the nature of having a copy of a team, or due to the fact both teams share the same name.

Update:

Clicking the team in my teambuilder (which still appeared to contain Gking on the preview), somehow made the team switch back to the old Empoleon variant? The old copy that I've been using is nowhere to be found. Assuming this has at least something to do with the new team system
BUG STATUS (Client) FIXED: by Mia
:zygarde: should be fixed as part of team-duping in teambuilder, refresh to get new code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)