Broom Power [OU]

Welcome to my RMT! While this is my first post on smogon, although I have been trolling and reading threads on smogon for quite a while. So enough of that lets get to the team!

In the building process I wanted to have a team based on DD jolly Tyranitar sweep. After some time and testing it began to evolve into a sort of bulky sweeper team duly named Broom Power.

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/40 Atk/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Gliscor is the perfect lead, earthquake takes care of steel, and stone edge helps type coverage. Stealth rock and roost are obvious, but one of the key points in this pokemon is his ability to dodge hits in tyranitar's sandstorms. Ive also never once been forced into switching first turn due to fear of losing gliscor in one hit with most common leads. One thing I would love to have on this set is taunt, but I cant even imagine which move to replace.

Tyranitar (F) @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

The absolute core of my team. I really wanted to have a sandstorm friendly team. As soon as gliscor is done doing his lead thing I try to send out tyranitar out asap to get that storm running. Having him also puts hail and rain dance teams in a pickle. Max speed dragon dance sweeper was the main theme I built the team with. Crunch and stone edge are the core STAB moves and the rest of my team (other than zapdos) can be walled by steel so fire punch was a must. Since my main goal is to get sandstorm up asap I can usually predict what move tyranitar is about to be hit with so I swap into something bulky who can take the hit which is why most of my team is bulky.

Heatran (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This heatran replaced zapdos and has helped absorb fire damage directed at metagross and scizor. I tested out all sorts of heatrans including, sub toxic, life orb, and scarf. Being able to swap in and recevie the flash fire bonus was perfect for me, but I found his speed was a real issue when its time for him to perform. the scarf version has been able to hold its own quite well. The team over all is winning, but Ive added yet another steel which makes me that much more weak to earthquake and superpower/close combat.

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Draco Meteor

This latias was on another team of mine. As I searched for a replacement for suicune, who was supposed to be special bulky, I thought bringing the trick scarf latias over who can take a few special attacks quite well seemed logical. I really love having a trick pokemon on any of my teams, one for giving pokemon who dont want a choice scarf a scarf and two for absorbing opponent's tricks. Surf and draco meteor are pretty standard on most latias. I choose thunderbolt to help me deal with bulky waters I trick the scarf too, as well as late game type coverage and in the event zapdos goes down I still have a source of electricity.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 112 HP/252 Atk/12 Def/132 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- Agility
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Agiligross is just all kinds of fun. I swap him in on any of the pokemon he resists and agility on the switch. Meteor mash is the core STAB and if I get an attack boost that's pretty much the game. Earthquake helps with steels who come in hoping to slow him down. I choose Ice punch over thunder punch because latias and zapdos both have thunderbolt and metagross after an agility with ice punch quite a nasty dragon killer even after salamence intimidate.

Scizor (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 176 HP/68 Atk/12 Spd/252 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brick Break
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

And last but not least is my bulky scizor. I cant tell you how many times I switch him in on something he resists swords dance on the switch and just annihilate things. Very often people dont expect him to be bulky so he can get off two or even three swords dances off and easily roost off any damage they give off. Bullet punch is obvious and because scizor is bulky, I picked up brick break over superpower.

Threats:

Im not the best at creating threat lists and with this team threats change depending on which pokemon is set up and whos dead at the time. For the most part this team has a huge problem with special based attackers who have large move pools, such as Starmie.

Starmie was the main reason I got rid of suicune and needed something to out speed it, scarf latias, for the revenge kill. Though if the opponent plays smart I dont have much to deal with it.

Scizor with swords dance and roost can easily set up on me and cause major problems for me! Once zapdos is down its almost impossible for me to deal with it.

Breloom can be very annoying sleeping a pokemon and subbing on the switch. Depending on the move pool I can some times bring in scizor or metagross and chip away at the sub until I can send in a revenge killer. Late game set up is a loss for me.

Gyarados and kingdra can be very problematic if they get the dragon dance off and my scarf latias cant one hit KO them with thunderbolt.

Lucario is a HUGE pain for me now that Ive added heatran. I usually have no way of dealing with it in general unless they miss play or miss predict

mixmence is also becoming a problem with the addition of heatran

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hey, this is a cool team, but i cant help but notice the rather large fire weak you have here. sr + repeated beatings + pursuit weak means latias is definitely not a reliable check to shit like ape or heatran. tyranitar is o.k, but heatran can switch out, and you cant threaten him with cb pursuit or shit, and ape flat out ohkoes you. something along the lines of a bulky water would be really cool. metagross doesnt do much for the team imo; he adds another fire weak, and adds to your subbeam or stalk rotom troubles. swampert is a BITCH, only thing that actually likes facing it is scizor, and he can still hit him hard or go to something that beats scizor (rotom anyone?). so a fire resist + something to beat shit like rotom. cursepert looks pretty good, but then latias is your only real line of defense vs ddmence. imo a blissey would work here fairly well.

blissey tends to lure in shit like swampert who think they can lay some rocks down early, but it just leads to them taking more damage, and landing a tyranitar sweep end game. you can land surprise kills on salamence if you want to use ice beam, or steels and shit if you like flamethrower. i use 136 satk evs to be able to break subbeam rotom's subs all the time. this kinda opens you up to mixape, but zapdos can roost stall, and of course life orb + sandstorm + stealth rocks!! cursepert would be a fine fit in that slot as well, but 50% instant healing is really cool.

yea next your gliscor is aching for u turn. it helps him more than stone edge would, cause all azelf is going to do is taunt, OR psychic you OR set up rocks. he cant do two or three, and it really gets you off to a much better start than if you get taunted trying to set up sr, etc. also scouting shit is really cool, like forcing out salamence or gyarados right after they come in. you still have problems with heavy stall, but if they dont carry wow on rotom, last poke scizor should beat them. cool team, hope my suggestions helped

Without a Magnezone to kill off Scizor, you really want Babiri Berry+Fire Punch on T-Tar. You will definitely appreciate the satisfaction of just punching Scizor in face as Babiri saves your life.

I'd also recommend something like Suicune (perhaps Crocune or just Rest, CM, Surf, Roar) over Metagross to help handle annoying stuff like Heatran, Infernape.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Unique team, SD Scizor is something I never seen in a while. But we could make it work to improve this. Personally, Rotom has been a pain the neck - even walls most of your team, defensive variants with Will-O-Wips trouble you deeply. What I will say is adding SubToxic Tran over Metagross, adds a solid Fire-resist and check to Rotom. Rotom LOVES Will-O-Wisp and Overheat, it gives Heatran a free switch-in, free Flash Fire boost. I will elaborate on the pokeman I think would benefit this:

Heatran
@ Leftovers
Timid Nature (Spe+ / Atk-)
252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe

- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Suits the team quite well and fits in over Metagross. Your general switch-in to Rotom's attacks on your Pokemon. Absorbs the Fire-type attack, proceed to Sub. Lures Bulky waters, who trouble you, and hit it with Toxic. With Toxic, bulky waters are handled as they normally dont enjoy the toxic. This opens up sweeps for Tyranitar and Metagross, to a lesser extent Scizor. Fire Blast deals a shitload of damage to those who dont resist it. Earth Power covers this team coverage nicely. Overall select this, try it out, lures bulky waters mainly and covers rotom.

As for otha' options U-turn over Edge otta patch this up. Scouting in general is a great tactic to bring in your sweepers safely. U-turn is better than Stone Edge, negates sash, and lets Scizor finish them off. Whats better is Scizor loves to lure rotom, gives heatran a free switch-in, etc. Babiri on that badboy tyranitar, lets you beat Scizor. It lures Scizor, finishes it with Fire Punch giving your team a better tiem to handle CB Scizor. U-turn is not enjoyable. overall gl

Thanks for all the input and help! sorry for the late reply guys, Ive been testing the team out a lot more and added your suggestions!

zapdos has been replaced by heatran and t-tar is rocking a babiri berry (totally awesome call there)

Ive update the team and I still feel it could do a lot better, but im getting stopped big time by lucario, swampert, and skarmory mostly....

I would really like to avoid replacing metagross, all too often he comes in on one of the millions of things he resists and agilitys on the switch and puts huge dents into pokemon which allows others to sweep... but if someone had to go, I suppose it would be him :(

the team is currently 1288 on the ladder

Hi,

your team has a big infernape weakness (2 weak to Close Combat, 2 weak to Hidden Power Ice, 2 weak to Fire Blast), and though HP Ice Infernapes might not be TOO common, it is still there and easily runs through the team.

To patch this up, I recommend a Vaporeon or Suicune in Scizor's place (since you don't want to let go of metagross). The lighter the better, in case it carries grass knot.

Hi,

your team has a big infernape weakness (2 weak to Close Combat, 2 weak to Hidden Power Ice, 2 weak to Fire Blast), and though HP Ice Infernapes might not be TOO common, it is still there and easily runs through the team.

To patch this up, I recommend a Vaporeon or Suicune in Scizor's place (since you don't want to let go of metagross). The lighter the better, in case it carries grass knot.
Infernape cannot do ANYTHING to Latias, can be killed if Tyranitar or Metagross are sweeping, and can be revenge killed by Heatran, so I don't really think he needs to be concerned.

I don't see why you mention Lucario as a huge problem with Choice Scarf Heatran, as Scarftran is one of the best revenge killers to Swords Dance Lucario. Perhaps you mean you have trouble switching-in onto it, which is still not true because Gliscor can easily swap in on anything bar Ice Punch and outspeed it. Don't doubt yourself, this team handles Lucario very well. However, you are right to be worried about Dragon Dance Gyarados, as once Latias Tricks it's Scarf, a DD / Waterfall / Ice Fang / Earthquake version can rip right through this team. Let's not forget how common Pursuit is, so even if you keep your Choice Scarf, Gyarados still has the ability to set up and Dragon Dance and sweep you if a Tyranitar or Scizor Pursuits Latias. Some suggestions that can be used over Metagross:

An bulky Calm Mind Suicune can check Gyarados as well as sweep on it's own, being able to outrun Adamant Lucario and defensive Zapdos. Suicune also can take one hit from Infernape and KO it back, letting you remove an annoying threat. Celebi works similarly, but it opens you up to the likes of Infernape more and cannot handle Bounce Gyarados very well. Vaporeon covers both of these threats very well, can pass Wishes to Latias, and many other useful things.

As a last-minute precaution, running HP Electric > Grass on Heatran can revenge kill +1 Adamant Gyarados and surprise KO. I really cannot offer more help without replacing members, something you seem to be reluctant to do =( If you want, making Latias a Life Orb sweeper and replacing Metagross with a Choice Scarf Jirachi can also let you run franky's Sub Heatran. Even a Lure Tran with Stealth Rock / Fire Blast / Earth Power / Explosion can work, removing Swampert and Blissey giving Latias and Tyranitar more wiggle room. Gliscor can remove Stealth Rock for U-turn, letting him fit the role of "Stallbreaker" a lot better.

Please, give me some feedback on what you would like to replace.

what DarkTalon said is true, I have very little problems with infernapes

An bulky Calm Mind Suicune can check Gyarados as well as sweep on it's own, being able to outrun Adamant Lucario and defensive Zapdos. Suicune also can take one hit from Infernape and KO it back, letting you remove an annoying threat. Celebi works similarly, but it opens you up to the likes of Infernape more and cannot handle Bounce Gyarados very well. Vaporeon covers both of these threats very well, can pass Wishes to Latias, and many other useful things.

As a last-minute precaution, running HP Electric > Grass on Heatran can revenge kill +1 Adamant Gyarados and surprise KO. I really cannot offer more help without replacing members, something you seem to be reluctant to do =( If you want, making Latias a Life Orb sweeper and replacing Metagross with a Choice Scarf Jirachi can also let you run franky's Sub Heatran. Even a Lure Tran with Stealth Rock / Fire Blast / Earth Power / Explosion can work, removing Swampert and Blissey giving Latias and Tyranitar more wiggle room. Gliscor can remove Stealth Rock for U-turn, letting him fit the role of "Stallbreaker" a lot better.

Please, give me some feedback on what you would like to replace.
very interesting, though I dont like having latias life orb'd, I wouldnt mind having two sources of trick scarf. I also need HP grass on heatran to help me deal with swampert

metagross would be the main thing I would see myself replacing

I am going to go with the crowd and say Metagross needs to be replaced. With Tyranitar using Dragon Dance and doing all the sweeping, Metagross doesn't really do much. In return, I recommend something that can take care of the bulky grounds and waters just in case Latias can't handle them herself. The ideal pokemon would be something that can beat up pokemon like Swampert that would otherwise wall you pretty good.

Believe it or not, my suggestion is a defensive Tangrowth. It has a great DEF stat, resistance to Earthquake, and can cripple opposing Pokemon that try to take advantage of your team, whether it be by knocking off your switch-in's item or putting them to sleep and incapacitating them. Power Whip behind a great attack strat or Grass Knot targeting the bulky (and heavy) grounds/waters can defeat the pokemon most likely to wall your Tyranitar's sweep. With Tangrowth supporting your team, it'd be much easier for Latias to revenge set-up sweepers or Heatran to gain a boost from the obvious fire-type attacks.

Having Tangrowth remove bulky waters will also help you with your Scizor sweep, since Tyranitar handles the Rotom formes which would be the bane of Scizor's existance.

I am going to go with the crowd and say Metagross needs to be replaced. With Tyranitar using Dragon Dance and doing all the sweeping, Metagross doesn't really do much. In return, I recommend something that can take care of the bulky grounds and waters just in case Latias can't handle them herself. The ideal pokemon would be something that can beat up pokemon like Swampert that would otherwise wall you pretty good.

Believe it or not, my suggestion is a defensive Tangrowth. It has a great DEF stat, resistance to Earthquake, and can cripple opposing Pokemon that try to take advantage of your team, whether it be by knocking off your switch-in's item or putting them to sleep and incapacitating them. Power Whip behind a great attack strat or Grass Knot targeting the bulky (and heavy) grounds/waters can defeat the pokemon most likely to wall your Tyranitar's sweep. With Tangrowth supporting your team, it'd be much easier for Latias to revenge set-up sweepers or Heatran to gain a boost from the obvious fire-type
attacks.

Having Tangrowth remove bulky waters will also help you with your Scizor
sweep, since Tyranitar handles the Rotom formes which would be the bane of Scizor's existance.
Actually a bulky grass type would help but tangrowth would slow the temp of this team down a bit which is a big no no.

Instead I suggest this

Celebi @ Life Orb
Natural Cure
Timid
80 Hp / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Hp (Fire)
-Grass Knot
-Recover / Psychic

Cm celebi is actually one of my favorites it's ability to begin instant set up on any water pokemon is a huge plus he also lures in scizors thinking they will live hp fire expecting the standard defensive set not to mentions you get another ground resist

The last move can depend on how you want to play her I prefer recover but hey that's just me

Good Luck with the team!

@ futility

the standard set?
~ Sleep Powder
~ Power Whip
~ Knock Off
~ Leech Seed

I'll throw it in the team and test it out a bit tonight and tomorrow
I will try celebi as well, and I too am a fan of recover
both in place of metagross

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)