Bringing The Boom

Hey all! This is a team I've been using since XY came out. With Pokebank just around the corner, I'm going to start making a new one, so you guys can see what I've been working with.

Noivern is one of my favorite Pokemon to come out of 6th Gen, and I wanted to build a team around it. With stats that screamed "scout", I developed a team that uses type synergy, immunities, and hard-hitting critters to plow my way to victory. Boom, baby!

- - -

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Boomburst
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

It's a bat dragon. What's not to like?

Noivern's job is to get momentum on my side, and with a blazing fast 123 Speed, she often does. The reason I use her over something like Crobat is due to one move: Switcheroo. Nothing provides a dead stop to your opponent than Choice locking a support 'Mon. Depending on what they're trapped into, my team can capitalize.

It was a hard choice picking between Infiltrator and Frisk, but I like Frisk for finding my opponent's items. Knowing what set they're running helps me make better predictions as to their next move, and get that precious momentum.

Boomburst hits through Subs anyway and does fairly consistent damage. Draco Meteor hits Ghosts and provides powerful STAB. U-turn is piddly weak, but it's one of the best momentum-gaining moves in the game, and works wonders on a fast 'Mon like Noivern.

Type Synergy:

Ferrothorn, Azumarill
Chandelure, Azumarill
Ferrothorn, Chandelure
Ferrothorn, Garchomp

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified -> Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SpDef)
- Sucker Punch
- Night Slash
- Fire Blast
- Play Rough

Though she takes hits like wet paper, Absol is a monster if she gets in and MEvos safely. Her synergy with Noivern is fantastic if the bat can Choice lock something into a status move. That almost guarantees Absol a safe switch.

I couldn't find a place for Rapid Spin on an offensive team, I didn't want to run Defog, and I wanted to try a Mega. Enter Absol! Magic Bounce laughs at your Stealth Rock. She also knocks back all the burns and poisons that are sent my way. If she can eat a Dark-type attack before MEvolving -- Knock Off doesn't get rid of her Absolite -- then her Attack is even scarier.

I went with Naughty because Sucker Punch has priority and Megabsol is rather fast anyway. Night Slash tears open slower threats. Fire Blast handles Steels, and Play Rough smashes Fighting- and opposing Dark-types.

Type Synergy:

Chandelure, Azumarill
Ferrothorn, Chandelure
Chandelure, Azumarill

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

The tank of my team, Ferrothorn provides much-needed backbone. Iron Barbs is an amazing ability, punishing those who make contact. Her Grass-typing also makes her the designated Sleep absorber.

In hindsight, it would have been better to slap Stealth Rock on her, given that Defog greatly reduces Spikes's value. Mega-Absol gives me the chance to bounce SR back, however, essentially giving me both entry hazards. I like to send Leech Seed out first to scout switches; the move also works well with healing her teammates. Power Whip deters Rotom-W and deals a lot of damage. Gyro Ball smashes through Fairies and puts dents in anything faster. Read: everything.

Type synergy:

Chandelure, Azumarill
Chandelure, Azumarill, Noivern

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpAtk)
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

What a monster. Azumarill, I feel, is one of the best Pokemon in the OU metagame right now. Besides its massive strength, what I love about the water rabbit is its surprising bulk. This thing has lived Garchomp EQs and returned from the brink to KO. Its Fairy-typing is a godsend, providing an immunity to the Dragons still running around. Seriously, if this thing comes in, something is either going to die or get wrecked enough for Absol to finish off.

Play Rough is fantastic STAB to scout with if my opponent has Water resists. Superpower annihilates Ferrothorn and other Steels on the switch in. Waterfall is also great STAB, though I tend to save it for when it's safer to use. Aqua Jet picks off weakened foes.

Type Synergy:

Noivern, Ferrothorn, Chandelure
Ferrothorn, Garchomp
Ferrothorn, Garchomp

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split

No one cares enough to get Chandy's model :c

Chandelure is a mixed bag for me. With Fire and Normal immunities, he looks great on paper, but I get the feeling he's not cut out for OU.

When he does work, however, he helps keep momentum on my side by using said immunities to set up Substitutes. The switch-in, depending on what it is, either eats a powerful attack or has its health stolen by Pain Split. With no HP investment, that's often a lot of health. Modest LO Shadow Ball almost OHKOs Rotom-W, a common check, and that means a teammate can come in and remove it. Azumarill greatly appreciates that. Done smartly, Chandy can be hard to play around.

Type Synergy:

Noivern
Noivern, Ferrothorn, Azumarill
Ferrothorn, Garchomp
Absol, Ferrothorn
Absol, Azumarill

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 176 HP / 20 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 62 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpDef)
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Iiiiiit's Chain Chomp!

I originally added Garchomp to the team as a bulky SR user, but then I realized SR isn't a TM anymore. Thankfully, the landshark is versatile.

The EVs come from the Garchomp thread. I wanted to keep Chomp's bulk intact. 176 EVs make sure he can take a few hits, even on the weaker defense. Chomp has even survived a Greninja's Ice Beam, thanks to the Yache Berry. The item, apart from helping the shark live Ice attacks, also helps me bluff Choice. Rough Skin stacks residual damage and does more good on a team without Sand.

EQ is EQ. Fire Blast roasts Steels that avoid it. Draco Meteor, aside from hammering physically defensive threats, also serves as a surprise -- no one ever sees it coming. Stone Edge 2HKOs Togekiss, who otherwise laughs at this.

Team Synergy:

Chandelure, Azumarill
Ferrothorn, Azumarill
Ferrothorn, Chandelure

- - -

The team is far from perfect, but I've enjoyed using it. Looking forward to reading your comments!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)