Big Boys In Town - A Hyper Offense Team

Big Boys In Town
A Hyper Offense Team

Hello all!
This is yet another one of my RMTs, but I'm posting this one to celebrate my pretty decent comeback to OU.
I've been an Ubers player for, like the last couple of months, mainly because I wanted a break from the OU tier, which had started to annoy me. Why? I felt that you just can't check/counter EVERY single Poke in the tier, and when these Pokes start appearing in large numbers, it gets highly irritating to build a team around Scarf MoxieMence (my favourite Poke) when you have Mamoswines running around. But then, OU is a tier which you can love or hate, but can't ignore. I've been reading the OU threads on Smogon even though I played only Ubers, and now I felt like starting afresh in the most popular tier (right?) I felt my team building has got a bit better, and there are some new Pokes/sets to explore, so I started.
Just because I found this team to be extremely fun when laddering, I just want to get back there and get going again, so I'll try to make this RMT a short one :p . That said, let's not wait anymore and meet the team. I've excluded the team building part, but I have explained why I have the Pokes on my team.
(As a side note, I couldn't find a suitable Image for Genesect, so sorry for that :p)

Deoxys-D @Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/144 Def/112 Spe
Nature: Careful (+SpDef, -SpAttk)
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Taunt
ThunderWave
What kind of a team I wanted was an easy question - a Hyper Offense one. That automatically means the first member of my team had to be none other than the so-much-talked-about Deoxys-D. What exact set I wanted was a bit more difficult though, but I eventually I settled for a more defensive set rather than something like LO, and a part of the reason is I don't want to pressurize Deo-D with to much work, like setting up hazards AND killing the spinners. Instead, something which only sets up hazards but does it reliably sounded a bit better. T'wave is used on the last slot because I've occasionally seen setup sweepers leading against Deo-D, so I can stop them before the situation gets out of hand. The other moves are self-explanatory. The EVs might not be what you see everyday, but it's still a good one. 112 Spe gives puts me on the 244 Speed benchmark, meaning I outrun all the weather leads, as well as random hazard leads like Skarmory, Forretress, Ferrothorn, etc. The rest is dumped into bulk, giving it equal defenses on both sides. Actually, 392 Defense and 391 Special Defense to be precise, to ensure no Genesect gets that Download boost to OHKO me, meaning I can still get SR up.

Gengar @Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpAttk/252 Spe/4 SpDef
Nature: Timid (+Spe,-Attk)
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Fire
Once you have played enough Ubers and got familiar with the Giratina formes, you start feeling spin blockers are almost a necessity, and I didnt think any different here. On an offensive team, Gengar is literally the only offensive SpinBlocker, but still a good one at that. I chose HP fire over something like Disable, as Gengar is used pretty early game, and without knowing the exact moveset of the opponent, Diasable isn't exactly great (it is highly annoying to Diasable an Espeon's Psychic, only to be mauled by Shadow Ball next turn). Also, HP Fire is a far more reliable and fairly powerful way to deal with steels than Focus Miss, not to mention it hits Forry, Ferro and Skarmory harder outside of rain. Starmie is the real annoyance to this Gengar, as it's the only Spinner capable of beating Gengar 1v1 with its rain-boosted Surfs/Hydro Pumps.

Lucario @Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Attk/252 Spe/4 SpDef
Nature: Adamant (+Attk,- SpAttk)
Swords Dance
Close Combat
ExtremeSpeed
Bullet Punch
Now, I had to start looking at my "Deo-D+ 5 Sweepers" team format (not exactly, as Gengar doesn't sweep).Lucario came to my mind, as a pretty underrated yet extremely powerful sweeper. Another thing I was trying to do is make sure my Pokes aren't that easy to kill for priority users/common Scarfers. Lucario fits this condition perfectly, as he is resistant to Ice Shard and Bullet Punch, ESpeed nails Mach Punch users like Breloom, and Bullet Punch specifically for Terrakion. Also, thanks to Justified, Lucario is often able to grab a free attack boost by taking Dark attacks which Gengar attracts, which is always helpful. The coverage here isn't the greatest, as Jellicent and Gliscor, for example, totally wall me, but that's why I have three more Pokes.

Genesect @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SpAttk/252 Spe/4 SpDef
Nature: Timid (+Spe,-Attk)
Rock Polish
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Bug Buzz
This guy is #1 in the October OU statistics, right? So I decided, no matter how much I hate facing it, I will use it this time on my team. And really works wonders. I decided on another quite unexpected set, the RP sweeper. Though LO means I give the surprise away after my first attack, it doesn't make Sect any worse at what it is supposed to do- after an RP, and a possible SpAttk boost from Download, Genesect cleans up teams with surprising ease. LO is really the only option, I'm not considering EBelt, as getting a boosted hit on a Poke neutral to these moves (example Heatran with T'Bolt) is much more useful than bluffing a Scarf. It also takes out both Gliscor and Jellicent, meaning it greatly helps Lucario.

Landorus @Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpAttk/252 Spe/4 Def
Nature: Modest (+SpAttk, -Attk)
Rock Polish
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice
Psychic
Another RP sweeper, but an extremely good one. Actually, RP+LO Sheer Force Lando is I believe one of the more recently discovered sweepers in OU, but has enormous potential. At first, base 115 SpAttk seems somewhat low, and since almost nothing outspeeds a +2 Landorus, I decide to go for Modest. Ground+Ice coverage works pretty well, and Psychic too is a surprisingly powerful and accurate move. Also, most things that cause problems for this Landorus, such as Skarmory, pink blobs, and possibly Lati@s, can be easily dealt with by the rest of my team. It also works well against sun teams, being able to smash everything with STAB Earth Power, which is important considering both of my other sweepers are weak to Fire.

Salamence @Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Attk/252 Spe/4 SpAttk
Nature: Naive (+Spe,-SpDef)
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Dragon Claw
Ah, good old Scarf MoxieMence. I just can't make an OU team without this guy, so it is the final member of my team. I usually save him till the absolute end, because that is when Salamence performs at maximum effectiveness. Not always though, sometimes I also send him in when I need something gone, and with perfect 3-move coverage, this isn't that hard. The EVs and moves are self-explanatory, so the best I can say is I use Mence as my late game cleaner.

So, this is my newest team on PS, which has given me a lot of success on the ladder too. I've played for quite some time with this team, and frankly, the only Pokes I feel like replacing are Gengar and Lucario. But then, Gengar serves as a SpinBlocker (miss you so much Giratina-O :,( ) and Lucario is a good and only priority user of my team, so I'm not sure what else can I try. For anyone rating this team, I would like to know if there are any other Pokes that can fit better on my team.
Thanks
-Salamence97

Hey man i got your request nice team!

Ok looking at your team it seems like a fairly solid Hyper Offense team. However one of the biggest threats i noticed was Sheer Force Landorus. If it can get a Rock Polish in before your Landorus can it outspeeds your whole team and can do some serious damage. With Hidden Power [Ice] it can beat Landorus and Salamence as well as Gengar if it is weakend. With Earthpower it can beat Lucario and even Genesect if it is weakend and the rare varaints that carry Psychic can easily dispose of Gengar. The Substitute +3 attacks set is also quite harmful because behind a Substitute it gets a free shot on any pokemon that you have in against it and as i mentioned he can hit a lot of your team super effectively. With a Substitute intact Landorus also gets 2 hits on Genesect making Substitute Landorus and even bigger threat then Rock Polish Landorus. Choice Scarf and Aglity Thunderous-T also look annoying especially in rain wher they get to abuse 100% accurate Thunder. Choice Scarf Thunderous-T outspeeds your whole team and can revenge kill Salamence and Landorus with Hidden Power [Ice]. He also resists Lucarios Bullet Punch and can outspeed and ohko with Focus Blast. Gengar is quite frail and will not like taking a Thunder. Agility Thunderous-T works very similar having identical coverage to the Choice Scarf varaint and after an Agility Thunderous-T outspeeds your whole team. From there it can use its good coverage and Life Orb boosted attacks to run through your team.

To help remedy your problem to Landorus and Thunderous-T i suggest Life Orb Mamoswine>Lucario this Mamoswine set is able to revenge kill both these threats ohkoing Landorus and ohkoing Thunderous-T after Stealth Rock with Ice Shard. This is a huge asset to your team seeing as these two pokemon are quite big threats. Mamoswine can also revenge kill apposing Choice Scarf Salamence which can be quite threatening to your team especially if it wins the speed tie with your Salamence. Although Mamoswine isn't a fearsome set up sweeper like Lucario he still has very similar traits, a good Life Orb attacker, priority user and acces to a Fighting-type move in Superpower so losing Lucario isn't to bad especially seeing as you said he could be replaced and Mamoswine helps you with your teams main threats.

You mentioned that you run Thunderwave on Deoxys-D to stop set up sweepers but you already have Taunt for that. You Also mentioned that you wanted a bulky Deoxys-D so i think that Recover>Thunderwave iis a nice fit. Recover gives Deoxys-D more longetivity letting it set up more layers of hazards which will help aid your 5 offensive pokemon.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Mamoswine @ Life Orb | Thick Fat
Adamant | 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ice Shard | Icicle Spear | Superpower | Earthqauke

Tl;dr

Mamoswine--->Lucario

Deoxys-D
.Recover--->Thunderwave

~Superpowerdude

Thanks for the rate :)
I will surely try out Mamoswine for the Therians, though honestly I haven't had problems with either of them till now. Thundy-T gets smashed by Luke's ESpeed and Sect's Ice Beam and more often than not, I manage to set up with one of these against rain teams (mostly against Ferrothorns, which is almost a free SD/RP).
BTW, one threats I've identified lately seems to be Terrakion, especially Scarfed ones, since it can outrun and OHKO my only Scarfer, and is completely capable of hurting the rest of my team. Actually, I'm so impressed by it, I'm thinking of running maybe some sort of Double boosting Terrakion. Any Thoughts?

I'm thinking of running maybe some sort of Double boosting Terrakion. Any Thoughts?
This is a very good idea, if you were to run terakion i would say SD Terrakion > lucario, lucario is honestly not that good in today's metagame seeing as stall is non existent and that offensive teams are usually far to fast for lucario to use anything other than extreme speed. Terrakion on the other hand is useful against every type of team, i suggest you use this set:

Terrakion @ life orb
Evs: 252atk/ 252spe/ 4spd
Swords dance| close combat| stone edge| x-scissor

This set is extremely potent and although you cant boost your speed terrakion has great natural speed anyway, however you could use rock polish if you really feel you have to.

On landours i'm going to suggest timid > modest, while there is a noticeable power drop it means that volcarona and salmence can never outspeed you if you somehow fail to get a rock polish. This is especially important because a volcarona can destroy your entire team if it can set, and it can set up on landourus; salamence is equally dangerous because you have nothing to outspeed it a +1 only a speed tie with your own salamence, which if you lose, could be disastrous for your team.

SD terrakion> lucario
Timid > modest on landourus

I hoped i helped, good luck with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)