Bibarel (Full Revamp) +

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I will most likely finish this in a couple of days. I'm still trying to figure out the best possible moveset for Cursearel, but once I get that done, it'll be nice and easy to revamp everything else.

EDIT: I decided to finally get off my studying ass for a little and write this thing up. I proofread as much as I could, so I hope there's not too many mistakes.

Credit goes to Caelum for the great Cursearel set.

[SET]
name: Tauntarel
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Super Fang
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Yawn / Swagger / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
ability: Unaware
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Out of all of the Bibarel sets to choose from, this one will cause the most trouble for your opponent in both OU and UU. The point of Tauntarel is to break walls, force switches, stop sweeps, and whittle down your opponent's team for a more powerful sweeper to wreak havoc.</p>

<p>The moves Taunt and Super Fang make up the entire reason that Bibarel is such a good wall-breaker. Taunt forces the opponent to attack Bibarel. For walls, this is bad news as they cannot recover their health during this time. While their recovery is halted for 3-5 turns, Bibarel can use Super Fang to strip off 50% of their current HP, and can keep doing this until they're in Waterfall's KO range. Waterfall is simply there for STAB, and is quite reliable since only Water Absorbers like Vaporeon are immune to it.</p>

<p>The final slot offers Bibarel a status move to assist the team even more. Yawn is the best choice, as it can allow Bibarel to not only shut off a wall, but also stop an imminent sweep due to Unaware ignoring stat boosts besides Speed. Swagger may seem like an odd option, but it actually works quite well with Unaware. The way it normally works is that your opponent's Attack gets raised by 2 stages, and this applies to hitting you and hitting themselves. However, with Unaware, the +2 Attack only applies to the opponent hitting themselves, and doesn't apply when hitting Bibarel, making it a dangerous status move in Bibarel's hands. Thunder Wave is also a very good option, as it can also aid in stopping a sweep, but can help the slower sweepers on your team go first.</p>

<p>The EV spread allows Bibarel to have his optimal defenses. Max HP is a necessity on Tauntarel because it allows him to take hits very well from both sides. The Defense and Special Defense EVs, along with the Careful nature allow him to have equal defenses. It may seem odd to have no Speed EVs, but even with no Speed, Bibarel is still faster than a majority of the slow walls, and is even faster than Skarmory by just 2 points. It should be noted that with this EV spread, not even an Adamant max Attack Absol's Superpower is guaranteed a OHKO.</p>

[SET]
name: Cursearel
move 1: Curse
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Quick Attack
move 4: Return / Taunt
item: Leftovers / Silk Scarf
ability: Simple
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 120 Def / 88 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Simple is a rather interesting ability and when coupled with Curse, presents a very effective combination. While Bibarel is no Snorlax, with his decent stats and Simple it can pose quite a threat even after a single Curse.</p>

<p>Waterfall and Quick Attack give impeccable coverage, and Bibarel gets STAB on both. Bibarel's access to an STAB priority move is a huge plus when using Curse, since the Speed drop from Curse will be ignored. Return is used for a more reliable Normal STAB move since Quick Attack doesn't always have the power that is needed. Taunt is a very good option in the final slot to prevent pseudo-hazing.</p>

<p>Amnesia is usable in the final slot to buff his Special Defense in the process. Silk Scarf is a plausible option over Leftovers to power up your STAB Quick Attack, but the small recovery from Leftovers can aid in Bibarel setting up.</p>

<p>The given EVs allow you to survive a Jolly Hitmonlee's Life Orb Close Combat after a Curse, who is easily OHKO'd in return with a Curse Waterfall. The implication of this is that Bibarel should be able to survive any unboosted physical hit, sans Choice Band Close Combats, after a Curse. The Special Defense EVs allow Bibarel to survive a Timid Rotom's Thunderbolt on average, which leaves healthy Special Defensive abilities for Bibarel in UU. The remaining EVs are delegated to Attack as investing a small amount in Attack is recommended; however, investing the remaining EVs in Special Defense is a decent option as well. If you opt to use this in OU you'll want to pump Attack EVs. In OU, Bibarel will not nearly have the defenses to gather several Curses like he can in UU, meaning that he needs as much Attack as possible to hit hard right after a single Curse.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Beaver
move 1: Super Fang
move 2: Amnesia
move 3: Return
move 4: Waterfall
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike the last set, this set aims to abuse Bibarel's second ability - Simple. This set doesn't necessarily focus on wall-breaking, but does focus on making Bibarel a tank. It should be noted that this set works much better in UU than in OU, as a lot of the hard-hitters in OU can still break through Bibarel's Special Defense after a boost.</p>

<p>The reason that this set can support itself as a tank is Amnesia. Thanks to Simple's ability to double any stat boosts that are received, Amnesia's +2 SDef boost is raised to a +4 SDef boost after just one use. If you don't know, that means that with just one use, Amnesia triples Bibarel's Special Defense to 468, making him a very potent tank.</p>

<p>Super Fang helps Bibarel bypass his average offenses and allows him to be a very dangerous tank, since he can destroy other walls and still support the team. Return and Waterfall both receive STAB, and are resisted only by Shedinja and Empoleon. The good coverage allows him to tank even better, as he can finish off opponents with ease after one or two uses of Super Fang as long as the attacking move is not resisted.</p>

<p>The EV spread is very straightforward. Max HP and max Defense allows Bibarel to take physical hits quite well, letting him take hits from both sides of offense as Amnesia is beefing up his Special Defense.</p>

[SET]
name: Simple Beam
move 1: Charge Beam
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Surf
move 4: Grass Knot / Super Fang
item: Leftovers / Expert Belt / Life Orb
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Bibarel may have an awful Special Attack stat, but this set is no gimmick. The reason is that Charge Beam and Simple complement each other perfectly. Whevener Charge Beam hits, Simple makes it so that there's a 70% chance of receiving a +2 Special Attack boost. This means that after one Charge Beam, Bibarel's pathetic 229 Special Attack can be raised to a respectable 458 in the blink of an eye.</p>

<p>Surf is a good STAB attack, while Ice Beam and Grass Knot provide more coverage. Super Fang is also a good option if you plan to use this in OU, because Blissey will wall this to no end, and even in UU, Lanturn will destroy this set without it.</p>

<p>Item choice is all up to preference. Leftovers can provide Bibarel with a little bit of healing, and is especially useful if he's facing off against a wall so that he can actually win one-on-one. Expert Belt is a good choice as well, because this set does happen to hit quite a few foes for super effective damage. Life Orb can work as well to help compensate for Bibarel's low initial Special Attack; however, it is not recommended if you have Super Fang, as it will ruin Bibarel's ability to take down walls.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 2: Waterfall / Aqua Tail
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Quick Attack
item: Choice Band
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Since Bibarel only has base 85 Attack, a Choice Band can help him dish out powerful hits without the need for a Curse. The main reason to use this set is Unaware's ability to hit through defense boosts, and Bibarel's great type coverage.</p>

<p>Return and Waterfall/Aqua Tail work as great STAB attacks, and as mentioned several times already, have incredible coverage that is only resisted by Empoleon and Shedinja in OU. Whether Bibarel uses Aqua Tail or Waterfall is completely up to preference. As usual, Waterfall is the preferred option due to 100% accuracy and a possible flinch, but Aqua Tail is usable for the extra punch. Superpower is there to complement the type coverage even more, and it takes care of Empoleon, making Shedinja the only one to resist this set's coverage. Quick Attack is especially useful in UU, where priority is important due to the offensive nature of the tier. Getting the jump on your opponent from an Attack score of 442 can end their sweep and potentially save your team. Quick Attack also helps to bypass Bibarel's mediocre Speed, which is a big plus.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>If Bibarel has the ability Simple, Pluck is an okay option. If you can steal a berry, the boost will be doubled, which can come in handy. It can also be used on the Choice Band set over Quick Attack to OHKO Heracross and Breloom on the switch, but it isn't a very good move in UU.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is a good option on either Tauntarel (over a statusing move), or Bulky Beaver (over Return or Waterfall). However, it is not recommended, as it takes away something vital from each set.</p>

<p>With Unaware, Swagger, and Thunder Wave, Bibarel can use Headbutt or Hyper Fang to make a parafusion flinching set. Headbutt is recommended over Hyper Fang due to better accuracy and flinch chance though.</p>

[EVs]

<p>On a defensive set where there is no bias toward a particular defense, Bibarel's HP should be maxed out, and he should have equal defenses. On a set where there is a bias, such as Bulky Beaver, max out HP, and then max out the defense that's not getting a boost.</p>

<p>On offensive sets, max out Speed, and max out the offensive stat that your set corresponds with. Use a nature that raises Attack or Special Attack, not Speed. Bibarel will not outspeed anything of note with a Speed raising nature, and the Speed is therefore wasted.</p>

<p>On a set such as the Curse set, it is a mix of offense and defense, and therefore should have a mix of both offensive and defensive EVs, with HP being the most important stat.</p>

[Opinion]

<p>Bibarel is one of the few Pokemon whose stats are generally considered to be very low, but is actually usable in all tiers. In return for his industrious nature, he received Super Fang and Curse, which are his two saving graces in today's metagame. In OU, Super Fang and Curse are generally required in one way or the other, or Bibarel WILL be outclassed. In UU, he can work without them, but either of the two moves are still highly recommended. These two moves allow Bibarel to be used to his fullest potential, and will show his opponents the consequences of battling a Canadian menace.</p>

[Counters]

<p>It is surprisingly difficult to switch into Bibarel, as a majority of switch-ins fear a Super Fang or a status move. Once they actually are in though, it's really not that hard to force Bibarel out.</p>

<p>Most Electric-types work well. Lanturn does a good job here as his high HP helps him take Returns so that he can bring down Bibarel with a Thunderbolt. Lanturn does hate Super Fang though, as he has no reliable recovery.</p>

<p>Grass-types in any tier are going to mess up Bibarel quite badly. However, if they rely on Grass Knot as their STAB, they will still have to watch out for Bulky Beaver, as Grass Knot is only 60 base power against Bibarel, and will do very little once he has an Amnesia up. Again, they must still watch out for Super Fang, as most of them have very poor recovery moves, if any.</p>

<p>Ghost-types are by far the best switch-in, as they're immune to Super Fang, meaning the most that Bibarel can do is status them. Bibarel is in a lot of trouble if he faces Rotom or Rotom-Appliance as an STAB Thunderbolt from either of them is most likely the end for him. Gengar does the same thing as well, except without STAB obviously. Dusknoir is by far the best counter for Bibarel, as it is immune to Super Fang, and generally only cares about getting Yawned or Swaggered, while other Ghosts fear Thunder Wave.</p>

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Guys, I'd like a little bit of help here. Here's what I plan to do with this analysis:

- Split up Bulky Beaver and Tauntarel into two sets --> Bulky Beaver's spread will be the current one, but the moveset will be Super Fang/Amnesia/Thunder Wave or Yawn/Waterfall with Simple

- Tauntarel will be Super Fang/Taunt/Waterfall/Swagger, Thunder Wave or Yawn. The EV spread will be 252 HP/160 Def/96 SDef with a Careful nature. I know that these two sets look similar, but they play way too differently to be clumped into one set like they are now. Tauntarel is like the OU version of Bulky Beaver

- Remove Sub + Liechi set, because it's useless now that Bibarel has Curse

- Special Attacker name will be changed to "Simple Beam". I really don't like that generic name, and the name "Simple Beam" makes it so that people won't just scroll over the set, as Bibarel has a shitty Special Attack stat, and people are going to see it as a gimmick with the current name.

- Put in Cursearel set (I REALLY need your guys help testing this. I've found it to be a piece of shit for the matches I've used it in for UU, and it oddly seems to do better in OU. However, perhaps I've just been using it wrong, so can you guys please help me out here, because I'm really bad at UU). The moveset that I've been testing is Curse/Taunt/Quick Attack/Waterfall with 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sdef with an Adamant nature and either Silk Scarf or Leftovers. I find Quick Attack to be absolutely essential on the set, because the Speed drop is too much for Bibarel otherwise.

- Take off Defense Curl from the Other Options, it's useless with Curse now.

- Take Double Team out of Other Options, it's illegal.

Yeah, so this is what I plan to do here. Is there any other suggestions before I actually write this thing? And, can you guys please do some additional testing for Cursearel? I promise that I've been testing this thing for the past two days, but I can't really say anything conclusive about my tests so far, since I'm only really good at OU, and it seems to work OK there.

Thanks in advance.

- Take Double Team out of Other Options, it's illegal.
The way it's worded currently makes that clear already.

This is probably not the right thread to go into a debate on this subject, but really, there needs to be some consistency about mentioning things like Double Team and OHKO moves when they are in fact banned according to the standard rules most battlers play by; I mainly point this out due to the seaking analysis mentioning Horn Drill in other options currently.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Guys, I'd like a little bit of help here.
Sure, I know your busy as of late so I'll help you all I can. I started writing a bibarel draft and then you called it so I stopped writing it, but I can help with whatever you need.

And on the note of Curse Bibarel. I've used it, both in OU & UU (no Curselax but it gets it done lol). If requires extremely different EVs in UU as opposed to OU though. For example, I actually pump SpD and Defense in UU and then some Attack, but not max. Works out great. Not sure of the exact numbers because I don't have it with me. I'll post my stuff once I get on the computer that has it. Feel free to PM me Bologo if you want to talk about it, since I know you are busy right now.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Talked to Bologo and he wanted me to do Curse Bibarel. I concentrated its used more on UU and mentioned OU in the Set Comments.

Changes made courtesy of Bologo.

[SET]
move 2: Waterfall
move 4: Return / Taunt

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Simple is a rather interesting ability and when coupled with Curse presents a very effective combination. While Bibarel is no Snorlax, with his decent stats and Simple it can pose quite a threat even after a single Curse.</p>

<p>Waterfall and Quick Attack give impeccable coverage and Bibarel gets STAB on both. Bibarel's access to a STAB priority move is a huge plus when using Curse since the Speed drop from Curse will be ignored. Return is used for a more reliable Normal STAB move since Quick Attack doesn't always have the power that is needed. Taunt is a very good option in the final slot to prevent pseudo-hazing.</p>

<p>Amnesia is usable in the final slot to buff his Special Defense in the process. Silk Scarf is a plausible option over Leftovers to power up your STAB Quick Attack, but the small recovery from Leftovers can aid in Bibarel setting up.</p>

<p>The given EVs allow you to survive a Jolly Hitmonlee's Life Orb Close Combat after a Curse, who is easily OHKO'd in return with a Curse Waterfall. The implication of this is that Bibarel should be able to survive any unboosted physical hit, sans Choice Band Close Combats, after a Curse. The Special Defense EVs allow Bibarel to survive a Timid Rotom's Thunderbolt on average, which leaves healthy Special Defensive abilities for Bibarel in UU. The remaining EVs are delegated to Attack as investing a small amount in Attack is recommended; however, investing the remaining EVs in Special Defense is a decent option as well. If you opt to use this in OU you'll want to pump Attack EVs. In OU, Bibarel will not nearly have the defenses to gather several Curses like he can in UU, meaning that he needs as much Attack as possible to hit hard right after a single Curse.</p>

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No I don't think so. Simple only affects attacks (or berries IIRC) that give a boost in your stat (such as Curse and Leichi Berry).

Also, although gimmicky, could Leichi / Salac Berry Bibarel with Substitute / Last Resort work?

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ehh, CM, a set like that was in the analysis before, but I'm removing it now, because Bibarel is simply too slow, or too weak to take advantage of the boosts. Last Resort just really isn't that good of an addition to warrant mention either, since Normal-resists/immune are VERY common in OU right now.

[SET]
move 2: Waterfall / Aqua Tail
move 4: Return / Taunt / Amnesia (since it's mentioned in set comments)
item: Leftovers / Silk Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Simple is a rather interesting ability and when coupled with Curse presents a very effective combination. While Bibarel is no Snorlax, with his (gender consistency) decent stats and Simple it can pose quite a threat even after a single Curse.</p>

<p>Water / Normal gives impeccable coverage and Bibarel gets STAB on both Waterfall and Quick Attack. (Maybe change to "Waterfall and Quick Attack give impeccable coverage and Bibarel gets STAB on both." it sounds a little cleaner that way.) Bibarel's access to an (The letters are all said like S.T.A.B, not stab) STAB priority move is a huge plus when using Curse since the Speed drop from Curse will be ignored. Return is used for a more reliable Normal STAB move since Quick Attack doesn't always have the power that is needed. Taunt is a very good option in the final slot to prevent pseudo-hazing.</p>

<p>The given EVs allow you to survive a Jolly Hitmonlee's Life Orb Close Combat after a Curse, who is easily OHKO'd in return with a Curse Waterfall. The implication of this is that Bibarel should be able to survive any unboosted physical hit, sans Choice Band Close Combats, after a Curse. The Special Defense EVs allow Bibarel to survive a Timid Rotom's Thunderbolt on average, which leaves healthy Special Defensive abilities for Bibarel in UU. The remaining EVs are (since the analysis is in present tense, keep the set comments in present tense too) delegated to Attack as investing a small amount in Attack is recommended; however, investing the remaining EVs in Special Defense is a decent option as well. If you opt to use this in OU you'll want to pump Attack EVs. In OU, Bibarel will not nearly have the defenses to gather several Curses like he can in UU, meaning that he needs as much Attack as possible to hit hard right after a single Curse.</p>

<p>Amnesia is usable in the final slot to buff his Special Defense in the process. Aqua Tail is usable over Waterfall for the higher base power since Waterfall's flinch rate will almost never be useful for Bibarel. However, the greater accuracy makes Waterfall the superior option. Silk Scarf is a plausible option over Leftovers to power up your STAB Quick Attack, but the small recovery from Leftovers can aid in Bibarel setting up.</p>
Thanks again for making this Caelum. I corrected all of the grammar/spelling/other technical stuff that I could find. Very good job though. the EV spread was especially helpful. Any advice and such is put in boldtalics.

I'll try my best to have the rest of the analysis up today. :D

Caelum

qibz official stalker
I'll make those changes in a bit Bologo.

Edit: Actually, I think I'm just going to remove Aqua Tail.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Mention in set comments does not necessitate inclusion in the actual set. Also, it's "a STAB", not "an STAB".

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ehh, in the grammar thread, I saw chaos saying that for OHKO, it should be "an OHKO" because it was said as O-H-K-O. Shouldn't that be the same for STAB, since it's also an acronym?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The first word of OHKO is one. It begins in a vowel, so the preceding article is an, not a. Same starts with a consonant, so it is preceded by a.

I would also just name the set Curse. I really don't get the point of names like Cursearel.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
The first word of OHKO is one. It begins in a vowel, so the preceding article is an, not a. Same starts with a consonant, so it is preceded by a.

I would also just name the set Curse. I really don't get the point of names like Cursearel.
That's incorrect. You have to go by the way the word is pronounced IIRC. One is prounounced like "won". Saying "an won hit KO" wouldn't sound correct, so "an OHKO" doesn't sound correct either if you say every word in the acronym. Just like how the acronym STAB sounds like Ess-T-A-B. It starts with an "E" sound, so therefore, it is "an STAB".

Whatever, I don't think this actually matters much, I guess it's more up to preference.

Also, the set is named Cursearel because people know it by that. Just like how people know Cursing Snorlax as "Curselax". If people know a certain set by that name, there's no point in giving it some generic name in the analysis.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Using a or an before an abbreviation

There are two schools of thought on this subject: "vocalisation of the abbreviation" and "vocalisation of the first word".

Abbreviation verbalised

By this rule, if the abbreviation starts with a vowel-sounding letter, the article used is "an"; if it starts with a consonant-sounding letter, it takes an "a". This would give "an NHS hospital" and "a BBC documentary".

vowel-sounding letters (take "an"):A E F H I L M N O R S X

consonant-sounding letters (take "a"):B C D G J K P Q T U V W Y Z

Note: H is pronounced "aitch"!
This is the only thing I could really find on the subject. According to this, it would be "an OHKO" and "an STAB".

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright guys and gals, I finished up the revamp, and I added Caelum's Cursearel set. I hope everything looks good.

One thing I'd like everyone's opinion on is whether I should keep the Choice Band set on the analysis, or just add it to Other Options. It just seems incredibly outclassed by the Curse set, but I was very lenient on keeping sets. Only the Sub + Liechi set was removed, because it was obviously outclassed, and wasn't very good. Personally, I've never even really bothered with the Choice Bander, I just kept it in there because it was in the analysis before and I re-wrote its analysis.

Basically, should I scrap the Choice Band set, or should I keep it?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For all the mention of Empoleon in the set it's odd that he's not a counter; he's bulky enough to take a Charge Beam and has Grass Knot.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I added him as a counter. However, I'm already kind of tempted to remove him, because he's an extremely shaky counter. The only reason he's mentioned in the analysis at all is that he's one of the only things that resists Water/Normal. He still takes gigantic amounts of damage from Super Fang and Superpower, and has a lot of trouble switching in due to this. I'd like to hear some more input on Empoleon as a counter though.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
Oops, Bologo can you edit my Curse set to reflect I wanted Silk Scarf as a main option alongside Leftovers rather then just in Set Comments. That was my original intent but I messed it up somehow.

Empoleon isn't really that great of a counter Chris. It hates Super Fang (well any wallish Poke does). CB Superpower OHKOs 252 HP / 0 Def Empoleon 79% of the time and always with Stealth Rock. Now, lets look at the Curse set. Modest 0 SpA EV Empoleon (283 SpA) does 38% - 45% damage to Bibarel with Grass Knot, never a 2HKO, and only a 2HKO 5% of the time if Sandstorm / Hail is active. Now, Adamant 48 Attack EV (239 Attack) Bibarel does 33% - 39% with a +2 Return and 12% - 15% with a +2 Quick Attack. What this means is, you will come out on top with Empoleon against the Curse set but at that point Empoleon will be so weakened it will be essentially worthless to your team so its more of a stale mate than anything. This was assuming Leftovers. Let's say Bibarel is holding Silk Scarf (again, sorry Bologo for not catching that sooner). If Bibarel is holding Silk Scarf you do 39% - 46% to Empoleon with a +2 Return and 15% - 18% with a +2 Quick Attack. Which means, that's a likely 3HKO with 2 Returns & 1 Quick Attack. All the while, Empoleon can only 3HKO in return, so Empoleon will generally lose to the Silk Scarf variant. I guess we could theoretically have Choice Specs Empoleon with Grass Knot which would beat Bibarel all the time. I guess it's okay to include, but it's a shaky counter and I think there are better ones out there.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I took Empoleon out since Caelum's argument made a lot of sense. The fact that it can't even 2HKO with anything while having the possibility of getting OHKOed itself shows that it's definitely not a counter. I added Silk Scarf as well.

would subsalac chargebeam set work, with something like:

Charge Beam
Substitute
Surf
Ice Beam/ Grass Knot

Of course it could somehow be edited into the main ChargeB set but meh.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
as far as a cb set goes, i would add it. superpower + unaware sounds intersting, and it is a good set to show the overall power of unaware as well. you get to hit more things super effective and harder initally than the curse set as well.

Thanks to Unaware Bibarel can run simple, paraflinch set and thanks to his bulk probably better in defensive meaning in comparison to Stantler. Also thanks to status things like Shedinja can't wall Bibarel completely with his good Water/Normal STAB combination.

[SET]
name: ParaFlincher
move 1: Swagger
move 2: Headbutt / Rock Climb
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Thunder-Wave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe

Idea behind this set is simple - flinch opponent to death. Thanks to Unaware, Swagger boost won't affect Bibarel (and it will hurt opponent more when it hurts itself, because it still has that +2 attack boost, but only affecting confused pokemon) and thanks to his Water STAB ground pokemon need to think twice before switching into Bibarel. With only T-wave and Swagger opponents pokemon has only 40% chance to attack Bibarel. With Headbutt that chance is decreased to small 26%. Headbutt is chosen here, because it has good, 30% chance, higher then Rock Climb by 10%. But if you prefer a bit more power, Rock Climb is solid choice, while still having chance to flinch. Those EVs gives him much needed bulk and enough attacking power that it won't take too much time in beating opposing pokemon. Waterfall is mainly for ghost pokemon, which easily absorb normal attacks and also has that nice flinch chance, which helps here alot.

I know that paraflinching isn't the best strategy, but if Stantler has it own ParaFlinch set in Strategy Dex, so Bibarel can also have it, right ? Sry for any grammar mistakes, english isn't my first language. Cheers.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Interestingly that could work. I'd rather use Headbutt due to the higher flinch rate here. Otherwise I wouldn't say its horrible at all and could get a mention at the very least in Other Options (or its own set if Bologo wants it to).

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I'm thinking about including that in Other Options (I don't have time to do it tonight). But I would like to have some more opinions on that set, because I have no time to test it, but it sounds okay in theory. If you guys want it to be its own set though, I have an open mind, but I would like some opinions here as well.

I forgot that Bibarel learns Rock Climb with 90 basic power and 20% to flinch, making Hyper Fang weaker option. So if someone prefer to have a bit more power, Rock Climb isn't bad option in place of Headbutt. I think that elemental fangs can work here too (Fire Fang for Scizor, etc.).

I used that set a few times in UU - works fine most of times. Most people expect Curse on switch, so it cripples some switches, especially fighters (watch out on Hitmonlee). In OU probably elemental fangs (probably in a place of Waterfall) is neccesary, if you want this Bibarel 'counter' steel types in OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)