Best beer for a first-time drinker

Little brother's coming into town, hasn't had a lick of booze. I figured beer would be the best place to start.

What would you recommend? USA available, please. I'm not much of a beer drinker, I usually stick with hard liquour and such, so any help is welcome :]

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pretty much anything tastes like garbage when you first try it, so something half decent should work out okay.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with the previous two posts... kinda. You don't want to buy the kid a $20 bottle of high-end shit, but you don't want him to swear off beer because you force-fed him Keystone Light. You don't get Canadian beer in either of your locations, so I would say get him some Blue Moon or Yuengling.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
blue moon is a good bet imo

you could also try bitch drinks like mike's hard lemonade

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
eh it doesn't really matter. the first time it's likely he's going to hate beer no matter what. i'd just save money and get him natty. that's what i drank the first time i drank beer and i'm pretty sure at that point in my beer drinking career i wouldn't have been able to appreciate the difference between natty and a nice dos equis or something.

you could always go yuengling or miller lite too. good and alright beer respectively and still cheap. i'd only do this if you'd feel bad about feeding him natty though.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If he is a newbie and you are worried he might swear off beer, buy hard cider. You can find it at pretty much any place selling beer (generic gas station beer places will have it).

Once he gets a little tipsy, if you want to then give him smaller cups of various beers just to see his reaction.

I personally love dark beers like Guiness, but if it is his first time and if there is anything to possibly avoid, it would probably be darker beers like Christmas Ale and Guiness.

Also...take care of the usual crap. Make sure he's enjoying himself wherever you're drinking; make sure the beer is cold and make sure you don't over emphasize the beer drinking point so he starts think needlessly about it.

Take care of all that and I'm sure he'll have a dandy time ^_^

I figured beer would be the best place to start.
You thought wrong. Cider (the alcoholic stuff, I think Americans call it hard cider) would be better, try for a sweeter kind. If you see Kopparberg pear cider, that's a nice one, very sweet and doesn't taste alcoholic at all. Or spirits and mixers - the usual classic combos like JD+coke, rum+coke, vodka+orange juice. Don't make them up too strong. Or there's alcopops. Spirit+mixers and alcopops is what I mostly drunk when I started drinking.

Cantab is right. Mixers and things taste much better than beers. I've only really started drinking seriously myself, and beer is not the drink to start with. If he isn't used to its taste, go with alcopops. And I'd like to recommend vodka+irn bru, it is what I started with and I can't get enough of it.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Wait, I never asked: how old is the kid? That makes a huge difference in tastes, surprisingly enough.

Why does everyone here think he'll hate the taste of beer? Give him a nice beer, like a Stella or a Negra, and if he likes it, good. If he doesn't, don't waste any more money on him for a while. Don't give him a cider... come on....

Alcohol isn't something you should try to ease yourself into. If you like it on your first try, cool, enjoy. If not, just wait. There's no point in conditioning yourself to like something so expensive and potentially dangerous.

I'd say try to get something that tastes similar to non-alcoholic drinks that you know he likes. Furthermore, there is no reason that he has to have beer at any point if he decides that he doesn't mind alcoholic drinks in general.

ye don't give him nothing hard and get him into drinking. Try something cheap and easy instead wasting money. if he turns out doesn't like it

Why does everyone here think he'll hate the taste of beer? Give him a nice beer, like a Stella or a Negra, and if he likes it, good. If he doesn't, don't waste any more money on him for a while. Don't give him a cider... come on....

Alcohol isn't something you should try to ease yourself into. If you like it on your first try, cool, enjoy. If not, just wait. There's no point in conditioning yourself to like something so expensive and potentially dangerous.
Because most beer tastes like cold urine. Granted, I haven't had stuff like Stella or Negra, mostly just Budweiser, Heineken, Miller, and (shudder) Keystone, but in general I'm not a fan and only drink when I'm playing beer pong or whatever.

Maybe give him a crappy beer and then once you give him a good beer, he'll appreciate it more.

Try Natural Ice. I thought there was nothing worse that Keystone Light until I stumbled across this abomination. I'm getting sick just thinking about it....

Try Erdinger Weissbier if you can find it in your area. It's a decent-tasting beer and not too expensive. It has a nice smooth flavor without the bitter hoppy aftertaste that turns a lot of people off of beer.

Why does everyone here think he'll hate the taste of beer? Give him a nice beer, like a Stella or a Negra, and if he likes it, good. If he doesn't, don't waste any more money on him for a while.
Alcohol in general is an acquired taste, and beer is particularly so. And even then there's so much variation in beers - I enjoy a quality ale or bitter, but I can't abide lager, nor can I drink Guinness.

Thanks for the suggestions. Should have mentioned he's 17, I just thought I'd introduce him to alcohol in a safer environment before he hits college so he's a bit more comfortable drinking than I expect he would be without trying it before going off to college.

I've always liked the taste of beer, but I suppose he could be different. He tends to drink a lot of sodas and juice and stuff, but I'll definitely have vodka handy this spring break so we can have mixed drinks as well.

I'm just not very experienced with beer in general, so I thought I'd get some recommendations. I do like Blue Moon, so I might just go with Carl's suggestion.

DM and Jabba are absolutely dead-on - beer tastes pretty terrible the first time you drink it.

However, Stella would be a pretty good choice.

I guess I never knew that. I liked it the first time I tried it. Then again, that was probably a good quality beer as my parents provided it.

Come to think of it, my girlfriend can't stand the taste of beer. She says it makes her gag ha ha.

Best staple: Kronenbourg 1664
Best overall beer: Paulaner (tastes like meat...really, try it with a steak very rare though)
Best Canadian Macrobrew: Sleeman Original Draght
Best Canadian Microbrew: anything from Granville Island

I am assuming here you want beer for flavor and not just to get trashed...if you wanna get trashed or be silly, drink any lite beer, anything with fake lime flavoring or corona.

good beer? hoegaarden. put an orange in it. tastes fucking incredible. blue moon's really good beer too, and i'm pretty sure it's cheaper ($9 instead of $13 for a 6 pack) if you wanna get something cheap but gets the job done get him a 40 of bo ice and he'll be good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)