Beginner's Guide to RBY

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
as it currently reads....

The Beginners Guide To Red/Blue/Yellow

Well now, you have been playing pokemon for a while and start to get bored with Advanced play, and want a change. You want to try RBY, but have no idea where to start. This is for you.

The RBY metagame is very concrete and standardized, as it is the oldest, and anything new you can possibly try has been done. With this being said, there are certain pokemon and tactics that are known to be more effective than others. These are things you MUST learn.

Let us begin with the beginning of every trainer�s path to greatness, the teambuilding process. Now thankfully, this process is MUCH less complicated and quicker than constructing a team in Advanced mode, for several reasons.

First off, you don't have to set EVs. RBY uses a different system, namely the Stat EXP system. It works roughly the same as the EV one, except the 510 points cap isn't there: every Pokemon can max out their stats as long as their DV allows it.

Secondly, there are no traits, gender, nature, hidden power or items in RBY. This means all you essentially have to do is select six pokemon, give them a moveset and you are ready for battle. The only other possible things to change are level and DV�s, but these should, for the most part, remain maxed in competitive play.

Team Building

Alright, what pokemon should I use? Well, as previously mentioned, there are certain pokemon that play a dominant role in the metagame, and should be your first options when building a team. Here are the 15 pokemon that play a leading role in the RBY metagame.

Exeggutor
~Psychic
~Explosion
~Sleep Powder
~Stun Spore/Mega Drain

Definitely a SOLID pokemon, good for a sleep, tossing around paralysis AND taking something down with it with Explosion. This pokemon is a MAJOR threat and is on most teams.

Starmie
~Blizzard
~Thunderbolt
~Recover
~Thunder Wave/Surf

A pokemon who can easily sweep a team when it has been damaged. A strong special and speed stat allow it to sweep teams with a wide array of special based moves. Chansey is the only thing that walls it completely.

Tauros
~Body Slam
~Earthquake
~Hyper Beam
~Blizzard

A nightmare for many a team, a very strong physical pokemon who is known for being the bane of many teams. Its STAB Body Slam can paralyze and this pokemon is known to critical hit a LOT.

Chansey
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt
~Thunder Wave/Counter/Sing
~Softboiled

A very defensive oriented pokemon, who shrugs of special hits and takes abuse. The only TRUE counter to Starmie.

Alakazam
~Psychic
~Recover
~Thunder Wave
~Seismis Toss/Reflect/Kinesis

A very fast Psychic type with a crazy special stat. Its Psychic hurts, and does a good job paralyzing the opposition.

Snorlax
~Body Slam
~Hyper Beam
~Self Destruct
~Earthquake/Surf

A very common normal type, with the strongest single attack in the game, STABed Self Destruct. Nothing can flat out counter it, and is a threat to any team.

Golem
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Body Slam
~Explosion

A solid Rock type, which is important as it provides a resistance to normal. Stops electrics COLD in their tracks.

Dragonite
~Wrap
~Agility
~Hyper Beam
~Surf/Thunderbolt/Blizzard

A much hated pokemon, mainly because of his ability to paralyze you then proceed to wrap you. He can slowly devastate a team. Has trouble coming in with Blizzard everywhere though.

Lapras
~Confuse Ray
~Blizzard
~Thunderbolt
~Body Slam
A bulkier water, but not nearly as common as Starmie or Slowbro. Can put pokemon to sleep as well with Sing.

Rhydon
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Body Slam
~Substitute

The other common Rock/Ground pokemon, its Earthquake is powerful - the most powerful single-turn non-Explosion attack in the game. Substitute is useful when you predict a switch, or when scouting for full paralysis. Although be warned it will NOT block status moves other than Toxic.

Persian
~Slash
~Hyper Beam
~Bubblebeam
~Body Slam/Thunderbolt/Mimic/Screech

Persian is a weaker Tauros that does have some advantages over it. It is faster, and has a huge critical hit rate when using Slash. Bubblebeam does a fine job at getting Golem and Rhydon out of the way, but Persian has trouble taking down Gengar.

Gengar
~Hypnosis
~Explsion
~Confuse Ray
~Psychic/Thunderbolt

A very common lead, it puts something to sleep, confuses the switch in and can explode on a threat to the team. Also is immune to Normal and Fighting, a very big plus.

Jynx
~Lovely Kiss
~Psychic
~Blizzard
~Mimic

Another common lead, and has a very accurate sleep move, higher than Hypnosis or Sing. Is decently fast and packs a strong punch. However, Jynx is easily countered by a lot of Pok�mon like Starmie, Snorlax, Slowbro and Chansey, except if it Mimics Starmie's Thunderbolt!

Zapdos
~Thunderbolt
~Thunder Wave
~Drill Peck
~Light Screen

A strong pokemon, but as with nearly all Electrics in this generation, it is walled by Ground types, especially Ground/Rock which resists Drill Peck too. Once the Ground is disposed of, this pokemon can cause major damage.

Slowbro
~Amnesia
~Surf
~Rest
~Thunder Wave

Some say he is overrated, but he is still strong and hard to take down. It usually takes a critical hit to take it down once it Amnesia�s up. It is commonly referred to as �Tobybro�, after its creator.

Those 15 pokemon are the most commonly used and are what you must look to have counters for defensively. A team does NOT have to be comprised of six of these fifteen, but they commonly are. Usually, if you have prepared for the 15 threats above, you will be covered for plenty of BL/UU Pokemon as well.

Take note that the movesets listed are merely the most common, there are many other variations; check the Smogondex for more details.

Now, this guide is not going to list a complete team for you, but here are things all good teams include.

Two pokemon with a sleep inducing move
A paralysis move on at least 3-4 pokemon
A good balance of types and attacks
A few fast pokemon capable of sweeping
A fast lead, Sleepers are best
Some other important things to have are:

A ground pokemon to take electrics
A normal resist
A pokemon to take Special based hits
Lots of Psychics to resist enemy Psychics
Competitive Battling

Once you have fully made a team and have constructed it intelligently, it is time to battle! Here are some important techniques to apply to battle.

You Snooze, You Lose

A very important part of RBY is putting a pokemon to sleep. This should be priority #1 in most cases. This is because sleeping a pokemon essentially disables them for the remainder of the match, as you do not attack the turn you wake up, and by staying in they will often get killed.

A Paralyzed team is a Beaten team

The next step is disabling the opponents team through paralysis to set up your sweeper. It is essential to keep your main sweeper from getting paralyzed, especially someone like Tauros or Starmie, as without speed their sweeping potential goes downhill. Paralyzing your opponents sweeper is a very good sign. Chansey is possibly the only pokemon you do NOT want paralyzed, as it wants to be paralyzed. This is because then it cannot be put to sleep or worse frozen. Chansey is often sent in on a predicted Thunder Wave, and is great at absorbing paralysis once paralyzed.

An important thing to keep in mind is that sleep should come before paralysis, as once you paralyze one pokemon, it is an easy switch in to sleep moves, and it will be extremely difficult to put a different pokemon to sleep as they can always predict you. It is important to narrow down the opponents resources.

Plan Your Attack

Always take note of your opponents team, whether it be mentally, or if your like me and forget, write it down. Once you know all your opponents resources you can plan your path to victory. It is always a good idea to not reveal your whole team, as you can toss out a surprise Tauros when your opponent least expects is and have it sweep. If you see that your opponent has a damaged Starmie, paralyzed Alakazam and a damaged Golem, work on getting the starmie paralyzed so your Tauros that you have been reserving can have an easy sweep. It is this kind of planning that will win games.

Be Unpredictable

This is so essential if you want to be successful. People complain RBY is all luck, but there are lots of mind games to be played. If you have Starmie out on a Rhydon, Surf or Blizzard are the obvious choices, but if you think your opponent will bring in their Starmie to take the hit, use Thunderbolt, it just might pay off. This also applies to Pok�mon switches. If you think they will switch to Starmie, bring in your Chansey. This gives you the upper hand as they now must switch out or take damage/be paralyzed. These are important skills that are more gut feelings than anything. It is important to try and think like your opponent, and can often lead to some advantageous situations.

Accept Luck

RBY is known to be heavily influenced by luck, as Critical Hit rates are higher and a Pok�mon that is frozen does not thaw for the rest of the match. It is important to realize that luck is a two edged sword and can strike at any time. If your Chansey gets frozen, move on. Keep focus and always stick to your plan, even if the luck makes you revise it. Don�t give up, because when all looks lost, your opponent might miss that Hyper Beam, allowing you to get the comeback win. And still, RBY is actually less influenced by luck because it is so common and much easier to deal with than in, say, Advance.

Those are the five key elements to success in RBY battling. Master them and you WILL be successful.

General Info

Here are some general things to know about RBY that will make you better.

Standard RBY Battling Rules

No Mewtwo or Mew
No Tradebacks from GSC
Sleep Clause and OHKO Clause enabled
Evasion and OHKO moves are frowned upon
No two pokemon of the same species
Freeze Clause and PP ups is optional
Critical Hits

Full Credit to Justin8649 for the information:

The Critical Hit Ratio is figured out by dividing the pokemon's base speed divided by 2 divided by 256. [Base Speed / 2 / 256]

For example, Venusaurs base speed is 80, so (80/2)/256 = .15625 Therefore Venusaur has a 15.625% chance to get a CH for whichever move it uses.

Some moves have high Critical Hit ratios. They are:

Karate Chop
Slash
Razor Leaf
Crabhammer
For these moves the formula is Base Speed times 4 divided by 256.

[Base Speed * 4 / 256]

So if Venusaur used Razor Leaf we would use: 80(4)/256 which would be 1.25 which is 125%. Therefore it would always Critical Hit. But apparently there is some sort of cap, to prevent the numbers from going over 100% because that wouldn�t make sense. So the cap is 255, because they used 0-255 instead of 1-256 and then divided everything by 256. So the highest CH rate you can get is 255/256 so you can still not CH .4% of the time with Persian and Venusaur!

The Agility Glitch

This is one of the more useful glitches in RBY. Once a pokemon is paralyzed, it speed is reduced. However, if Agility is used afterwards it nulls the speed loss, and you will have double your original speed. You still have the chance to be fully paralyzed, however.

Important Changes

Some things work differently in RBY. Here are the most important:

Special Stat: The Special Attack and Defense of a pokemon are combined into one stat, called �Special�. This makes moves like Amnesia really good as they raise both Special Attack and Special Defense.

Sleep: Pok�mon do not attack the turn they wake up. Thankfully this was changed in the later versions, it is very annoying.

99.6%: This is the accuracy of all 100% moves. This can really bite you in the bum sometimes.

OHKO moves: Only work if you are faster. Not dependant on base stats.

Freeze: Pok�mon do not thaw. Only a Fire move or Haze will thaw a frozen pokemon.

Substitute: This move does not block status moves. Also a pokemon does not die if it used Explosion on a Substitute. See Vineons guide for more info.

Hyper Beam: If a pokemon is KO�d with this move, there is NO recharge time.

Counter: Only counters Normal and Fighting moves.

Light Screen and Reflect: Only work on the Pok�mon that used it, and will stay in place until the user switches out.

Blizzard: 90% accuracy makes it a formidable move.

For a complete and detailed list, see Vineon�s RBY changes guide.

Secondary Strategy: Wrap/Fire Spin

Other than a standard team, these teams are the other type of commonly used team in tournaments. They focus on trapping moves, as they work different in RBY. Moves such as Wrap, Clamp and Fire Spin trap the opponent for 2-5 turns, making them unable to attack. They can still switch, but you will just end up switching into another Wrap, Clamp or Fire Spin. You have to hope it misses. The strategy behind these teams is to paralyze everything and to abuse these moves, as if you miss you will be faster and can just trap them again next turn. If you are facing a team like this, you need to be very careful and avoid paralysis at all costs. These teams can work very well in the right hands.

Here are some common pokemon that use this technique, other than the aforementioned Dragonite:

Cloyster
~Clamp
~Blizzard
~Explosion
~Surf/Hyper Beam

Clamp is the strongest of the trappers, but only Cloyster learns it. Clamp until weak and use either Blizzard, Hyper Beam or Surf as a finisher.

Moltres
~Fire Spin
~Agility
~Fire Blast
~Hyper Beam

This can work even if the opponents team is NOT all paralyzed, so watch out. After an Agility it outspeeds everything. And can Fire Spin appropriately. Once again KO with the appropriate finisher.

Victreebel
~Stun Spore
~Razor Leaf
~Wrap
~Hyper Beam

Victreebel can paralyse opponents by itself, and Wrap them into the KO range of Hyper Beam and Razor Leaf (which will CH a lot, remember?). Razor Leaf takes care of Golem and Rhydon nicely, but watch out for Gengar.

As you can see these teams are not to be underestimated and can really cause problems.

This concludes my guide. All the knowledge of how to become a great RBY battler is right here. Hopefully this will bring many new battlers to this great genre. A BIG thanks to Vineon, Justin, Hipmonlee for their previous information was able to compile as well as to the RBY greats for making this such a competitive genre of pokemon. I hope you all will enjoy RBY as much as I do! I recommend looking at the other RBY articles if you want to go more in-depth on this awesome generation.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
2 things i notice right away:

there is a "Differences" section in this article, but there is also an independent rby article dealing with differences. so i think this section is superfluous.

also, i dont know how practical it is to list out EVERY OU pokemon with its standard moveset. should we really keep it like that?

edit: yeah, calling giga_punch (im not gonna call him GP cause that's me) very good at rby is aaaaaaaa.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wrote this with the idea that you could read this article and only this article and be ready to play RBY. I obviously dont even list half of the differences that vineons guide has, just the ones that you absolutely need to know to even play this metagame, i think the section should stay. But others may disagree.

The pokemon section can be seen as more of a threat list kinda thing, and the concise yet informative blurbs are helpful for someone who doesnt want to go find the individual artice of each of the usable pokemon. Obviously, once they feel they want to be better at rby they will search the dex, but this does what it is supposed to do, inform.

One thing I obviously do see is the namedrops I gave, since this is going to be more formal now you can take those out, ie "credit to justin####". Also I see some inconsistancies in the narration which need to be adressed. And obviously change "advance" in the first sentence to "dp".

Not to toot my own horn here but i think i did a pretty good job, not much has to be done. I know I have used this article to teach people rby, (pocket, giga_punch", etc) and now they are very good xD
(crap im calling GP good >:[)

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think the information is good it needs to be restructured in a similar format to what I mentioned in the GSC thread. And just list threats without sets. Maybe hyperlink Pokemon names to the rby set?

I don't see any major problems with content, but I think this article needs a major structural revamp.

I really think that you need to preface the article with several important points to dispel common pre-conceived notions that younger Pokemon players may enter with. The "list of changes" should go at the beginning, and only those with competitively pertinence should be listed, in order of importance. Specifically, Critical Hits need to be mentioned. A formulaic explanation is not necessary, but essentially state that CH ratio is a function of speed and most CH ratios are 10-20%. Also make it explicit that CH ratio is a value that is static.

The "threats list" that the article begins with is rather confusing (lots of text with little explanation) and mentions Dragonite and Persian, which aren't all that common to be honest. Really, the things that I would start out by mentioning specifically are Chansey and Tauros. Chansey and Tauros are THE main threats for RBY, and the reason that Golem is used over Rhydon. (If Golem can explode on either of them, he's done his job.)

Honestly, I think the best way to revamp this would be to start with a clean slate. Certainly, large portions of this existing guide can be copied/pasted, but as it stands it's just a long bulleted list of bulleted lists and isn't cohesive at all. If anyone agrees, I can try to come up with a framework that hopefully follows a more logical progression.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You have a point about the order I guess, but there is no way you need to write an entirely new article lol. It is a matter of putting the "general info" section first.

It gives you the rules of the metagame, it outlines the most important differences and explains the CH formula in depth. If you think that can be toned down that is one thing. But you dont have to rework the entire thing.

Dragonite not a threat? I respect you as a battler but are you joking? He is now more than ever a threat as MANY of the new players have adopted the wrap team idea and run with it. This was evident in the smogon tours. Persian may not be tauros, but he is still surely worth a mention. I even state he isnt quite what tauros is.

Overall, I do agree that the "General Info" section can come before the team building part, and that if it is deemed useless the math behind the CH ratio can be eliminated, but writing a new article will just be a waste of your time.

I also think the wrap section could even be elaborated upon further simply because of how prevalent it is in the modern RBY metagame, but tbh I think that should be a new article in itself.

Dragonite not a threat? I respect you as a battler but are you joking? He is now more than ever a threat as MANY of the new players have adopted the wrap team idea and run with it. This was evident in the smogon tours. Persian may not be tauros, but he is still surely worth a mention. I even state he isnt quite what tauros is.
Sorry, I wasn't exactly clear. I didn't mean that Dragonite and Persian aren't heavily used; I simply mean that they're not "god tier" material in the same way that Snorlax, Chansey, Tauros, Starmie, Alakazam, and Exeggutor are. To be honest, I think that the list could be parred down to those six, although Zapdos is notable simply because of his ability to completely sweep in the absence of a ground type and Golem and Rhydon because of their typing. They're definitely a cut above everything else, but they're not on par with the "big six" that I mentioned.

Also, the provided CH ratio can at least be simplified to "base speed / 512". Although it's not the formula that the game uses, it's good enough for human use and will give you the same results, give or take due to the way that the game floors all non-integer values.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
i know i've been a piece of shit about this. i wanted to devote my time to getting completely acclimated to my new teaching job.expect this to be ready by christmas break (better late than never?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)