[Battling 101] Bobadilla vs Tutor Leethoof

"Why, howdy there! Haven't seen you around before. I'm Don Straton, and I run the Shieldon ranch here in Solaceon Town. I do also battle a bit on the side, of course, and I imagine that's what you're here for. Well then, let's get started. My girls found a few new Pokemon that need some training, and they aren't to keen on working for it, so I gotta do it. Let's lay down the rules o' the match first."
Rules:
3v3 LC Singles
2 Day DQ
2 Substitutions
Training Items Only
All Abilities
Switch=OK
2/5 Recovers/Chills
The sun may be low in the sky, but the air is still warm. Ranchers and farmers are taking their time getting home, choosing to enjoy the spring afternoon. The battlefield is an empty, grassy field bordered by a low picket fence on three sides, and a gurgling creek on the fourth.

(no arena effects, everything you need for all attacks is available)

"I'd love to take a look at those 'mons of yours. Chingling, Nincada, and Chinchou? Quite an impressive lineup for a new trainer."
Team Bobadilla

Chingling [F] [Chingling]
Types: Psychic
Abilities:: Levitate
Nature: Timid (+15% Speed / +6% Accuracy / -1ATK)
Stats:
HP: 90
Atk: 1 (-)
Def: 2
SpA: 3
SpD: 2
Spe: 52 (+15%)
Size Class: 1
Weight Class: 1
Base Rank Total: 13
EC: 0/6
MC: 0
AC: 0/5
Attacks:
Level Up
Wrap
Growl
Astonish
Confusion
Uproar
Last Resort
Entrainment
Yawn
Egg
Cosmic Power
Stored Power
Wish
Recover
Disable
TM/HM
Protect
Light Screen
Reflect
Safeguard
Torment

Nincada [M] [Nincada]
Types: Bug/Ground
Abilities:: Compoundeyes / Run Away (H)
Nature: Adamant (+1 Atk, -1 SpA)
Stats:
Atk: 3(+)
Def: 3
SpA: 1(-)
Spe: 40
Base Rank Total: 13
Attacks:
Level Up
Scratch
Harden
Leech Life
Sand-Attack
Fury Swipes
Mind Reader
False Swipe
Mud-Slap
Metal Claw
Egg
Bug Bite
Endure
Night Slash
Silver Wind
Feint Attack
TM/HM
Dig
X-Scissor
Protect
Double Team
Substitute

Chinchou [F] [Chinchou]
Types: Water/Electric
Abilities:: Volt Absorb / Illuminate / Water Absorb(H)
Nature: Bold (+1 Def, -1 Atk)
Stats:
HP: 100
Atk: 1(-)
Def: 3(+)
SpA: 2
Spe: 67
Weight Class: 2
Base Rank Total: 14
Attacks:
Level Up
Bubble
Thunder Wave
Supersonic
Flail
Water Gun
Spark
Confuse Ray
Take Down
Electro Ball
Bubble Beam
Egg
Brine
Amnesia
Mist
Soak
Whirlpool
TM/HM
Toxic
Ice Beam
Scald
Thunderbolt
Charge Beam

"What did my girls dig up this time? Hmmm...these'll have to do. Never seen this lil' squid one before, though. I look forward to seein' what these fellers can do."
Team Leethoof

Bronzor (Minor) (-)
Nature: Brave (+1 Atk, -15% Speed, -10% Evasion)

Type: Steel/Psychic

Abilities: Levitate/Heatproof/Heavy Metal

Stats:
Atk: Rank 2 (+)
Def: Rank 3
SpA: Rank 1
SpD: Rank 3
Spe: 20 (-)
Weight Class: 4
Base Rank Total: 11

DC: 0/5

Attacks:
Tackle
Confusion
Hypnosis
Imprison
Confuse Ray
Extrasensory
Psywave
Iron Defense
Feint Attack
Safeguard

Skill Swap
Stealth Rock
Gravity
Signal Beam
Trick

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Toxic
Protect
Light Screen

Onix (Hangry) (M)
Nature: Lonely (+Atk, -Def)

Type: Rock/Ground

Abilities: Rock Head/Sturdy/Weak Armor (DW)

Stats:
Atk: Rank 3 (+)
Def: Rank 6 (-)
SpA: Rank 2
SpD: Rank 2
Spe: 70
Size Class: 7
Weight Class: 6
Base Rank Total: 18

DC: 0/5

Attacks:
Mud Sport
Tackle
Harden
Bind
Curse
Screech
Rock Throw
Rage
Rock Tomb
Stealth Rock
Rock Polish
Gyro Ball
Smack Down
Dragonbreath
Sandstorm
Slam

Heavy Slam
Exploison
Flail
Rock Blast
Block

Taunt
Protect
Dragon Tail
Torment
Toxic

Inkay (Arlington) (F)
Nature: Brave (+1 Atk, -15% Speed, -10% Evasion)

Type: Dark/Psychic

Abilities: Contrary/Suction Cups/Infiltrator (DW)

Stats:
Atk: Rank 3 (+)
Def: Rank 2
SpA: Rank 2
SpD: Rank 2
Spe: 39 (-)
Base Rank Total: 12

DC: 5/5

Attacks:
Tackle
Peck
Constrict
Reflect
Foul Play
Swagger
Psywave
Topsy-Turvy
Hypnosis
Psybeam
Switcheroo

Camouflage
Destiny Bond
Flatter
Power Split
Simple Beam

Toxic
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Rock Slide
Taunt

"I suppose that's all we need to get started. You can go ahead and send out your 'mon now. Visitor's rights."

1. Bobadilla sends out his first Pokemon, and equips a training item.
2. Leethoof sends out his first Pokemon, equips a training item, and gives orders.
3. Bobadilla gives orders
4. Leethoof refs

"Ah, sorry lass. That Nincada's a fierce lil' critter. Hangry, this seems like your kinda tussle. Go ahead and do your thing."
"Urhgurhughgh."
"What? You say something?"
"No, that was just my stomach...can we eat after this?"
"The girls went to go pick some berries for y'all, they'll be back soon. Don't you worry, just do your best here."

Hangry w/ Heart Scale: Rock Blast -> Heavy Slam -> Rock Blast
If Nincada is underground when you would attack it, then use Stealth Rock the first time, Curse the second time, and Harden the third time.

Don't forget to equip a training item! You always equip it when you send out your Pokemon (like any other item), but in training matches, people usually are okay if you equip it later, since it doesn't affect the battle at all. It really accelerates training your Pokemon so you can do fun stuff like gyms and tournaments more quickly. When you made your profile, you were given one of each. My Heart Scale is a better version, earned from the gym league.
Exp Share=gives 1 MC to help expand that Pokemon's movepool
Lucky Egg=gives 1 EC or AC to help evolve that Pokemon, or unlock their hidden ability
Amulet Coin=gives 1 CC, to help you buy more Pokemon or items

Anyways, on to my orders. I see you've already done a flashmatch, so I won't explain that absolute basics, but I will give reasoning behind everything I do. Here, I'm just using my strongest attacks. Ordering first on a neutral matchup like this (where neither Pokemon does a whole lot of damage to the other one through typing advantage), this is usually the best strategy. Trying to be super tricky or evasive will often put you behind when ordering first, as it can be very easy to exploit holes in your opponent's orders. My only substitution is for Dig; this is a very common one. Usually people word it as "If the opponent is in the evasive stage of a damaging/evasive move", as this covers Fly/Bounce/etc as well, but you only have Dig, so its not a big deal.

Your turn to order now.

"Oh crap, thanks for the reminder!"

Equips Nincada with the Lucky Egg.

Metal Claw~Mud-Slap~Metal Claw

My best play here I think would be to switch into Chinchou, but I'm not quite sure how switching works. Explanation please?

"Apologies for the wait, miss. Let's get this moving again."
"Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase, I want to eat."

Hangry begins the match with his sleek serpentine speed by foraging in the field for a pile of rocks, eating them up, and then very regretfully spitting them back out in a Rock Blast at the Nincada. Only three find their mark, but Nincada is hurting none the less. Still, the brave little bug retaliates with an extremely weak Metal Claw, and the Onix barely acknowledges the attack. Still, in his emotionally-unstable hungry state, its enough to will Hangry into a fearsome Heavy Slam, smashing his full weight down on Nincada. The bug manages to roll away and is fortunately only hit with the snake's tail, but still, getting with any part of a raging Onix is less than ideal. Realizing that trickery may be the better option, Nincada whips up some of the field's freshly tilled dirt into Hangry's eyes, the fiercest Mud-Slap Solaceon has ever seen. Roaring with hanger, Onix flings another barrage of rocks at his opponent, and once again, only three stones of the Rock Blast are able to hit the tiny bug. After another ineffective Metal Claw, Nincada looks ready to leave the scene.

Nincada w/ Lucky Egg
HP:
EN: 87

Hangry w/ Heart Scale
HP:
EN: 79

My accuracy rolls and effect rolls are out of 100, with any value being less than the acc/effect chance activating it.
My crit rolls are 16/16.
My multihit rolls are 2,2,3,3,4,5

Onix=Rock Blast (6 EN) (Hit=87 yes) (Hits=3) (Crits=7 10 6 no no no) [9 BAP + 3 STAB = 12 Damage]
Nincada=Metal Claw (4 EN) (Hit=50 yes) (Crit=5 no) (Effect=19 no) [(5 BAP - 1 Sturdy - 4.5 Ranks)*1.5 = 1 Damage]

Onix=Heavy Slam (9 EN) (Hit=72 yes) (Crit=7 no) [14 BAP = 14 Damage]
Nincada=Mud Slap (5 EN) (Crit=9 no) [(4 BAP - 1 Sturdy - 1.5 Ranks)*1.5] = 2.25 Damage]

Onix=Rock Blast (6 EN) (Hit=16 yes) (Hits=3) (Crits=8 8 1 no no no) [9 BAP + 3 STAB = 12 Damage]
Nincada=Metal Claw (4 EN) (Hit=62 yes) (Crit=15 no) (Effect=33 no) [(5 BAP - 1 Sturdy - 4.5 Ranks)*1.5 = 1 Damage]

Those orders are pretty good, about as good as you can get from a poor matchup like Nincada vs Onix. Moves like Silver Wind and Dig would have done more than Metal Claw, though. I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the damage formula at some point (if you want, we can do that seperately in the convo), so that you can compare the damage of your attacks. It can be surprising that a super-effective attack off of your stronger stat ends up doing 1 damage, but by using the damage formula when you order, you can easily figure out your strongest attacks, as well as your opponent's attacks.

I agree with your decision to switch. Switching in ASB follows one of two orders.
1.a) you state you are switching whenever you order first (except for the first round of course, and if you switched last round), and send in your new mon with item
b) your opponent declines to switch
c) you order as normal
d) they order as normal

2.a) you state you are switching whenever you order first (except for the first round of course, and if you switched last round), and send in your new mon with item
b) your opponent counterswitches, and sends in their new mon with item. They order first.
c) you order second as normal

I'll probably be counterswitching if you switch in Chinchou, so keep that in mind.

1. Bobadilla orders first or switches
2. Leethoof responds appropriately
3. The rest of that gets figured out
4. Leethoof refs

"Hm. Can't say I didn't expect that switch. Alright fella, you can go grab some lunch now. Find the girls and see what they scrounged up. Minor, let's see what you can do."
Minor rings eagerly.
"Yep, just like that."

Minor w/ Heart Scale: Extrasensory -> Pyswave -> Extrasensory
If Soak AND Bronzor does not have Volt Absorb, then use Skill Swap (Volt Absorb <-> Heatproof).
If Water Gun AND Bronzor does not have Volt Absorb, then use Skill Swap (Volt Absorb <-> Heatproof).

This is a much more even matchup than the last one. Since I am slower (such is the life of Bronzor), it's difficult for me to get around your tricks like Supersonic and Thunder Wave, so I chose to not sub for them at all. However, the big threat from Chinchou/Lanturn is Soak or Water Gun (in ASB, water gun causes the next electric-type attack against the target to be super-effective) into powerful STAB electric attacks. So, I chose to sub for both of those, since it is something I can afford to do when slower. Skill Swap is a lot of fun, especially in doubles or triples matches, so I recommend getting to know its subtleties. In ASB, it can be used to swap multiple abilities between multiple Pokemon, so it can be quite a headache sometimes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)