Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

This team is not finish so I would like you guys advice and what pokemon should I add to this team.

Gengar-Mega (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Explosion

The team so far is made to help Mega Gengar.
You might want to switch defog on mandibuzz for something like taunt, to more effectively toxic stall mons that run a recovery move. Plus SR aren't that big of an issue in 3v3. And if mandibuzz is your dedicated kangaskhan check, you should run foul play instead of knock off. Choice scarfed explosion seems like it would be amazing for those desperation moments

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Mamoswine and Rotom-W put massive holes in these three (Rotom struggles a bit with Gengar but it can Volt Switch out of Shadow Tag so Gengar doesn't help much there), so I'd definitely suggest adding checks to those two. Unfortunately, there's isn't really any catch-all check to both in one slot, as Rotom's main checks are things like Serperior, Hydreigon and Mega Charizard X, all of which get pretty comprehensively stomped by Mamoswine, which itself is checked by a lot of the bulky Waters that Rotom-W preys on. That said, you have three slots, so I'd add a Bulky Water and a powerful Grass or Dragon type to check these two threats. I'm going to go ahead and suggest AV Azumarill and LO Hydreigon; Azumarill hard stops troublesome Pokémon like Mamoswine, Blaziken and Charizard while also giving you a priority option for stopping sweeps. Hydreigon is a useful nuke for breaking up fat mons like Gliscor, Chansey (with Superpower) and Mega Slowbro, and makes a fine switch-in for Rotom-Wash (Dark Pulse cleanly 2HKOs and Draco Meteor has a 56.3% chance to OHKO). Then, I'd most likely add a Steel-type to alleviate your Fairy weakness and to create one of those delicious Dragon-Fairy-Steel cores, either Aegislash for the perfect type synergy with Hydreigon and as another Kangaskhan answer or CB Scizor to add another strong priority option and a powerful, slow U-Turn to bring in Gengar safely. These are just ideas but I hope you consider them and maybe try them out :)

Reactions: PKQ

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
This team is not finish so I would like you guys advice and what pokemon should I add to this team.

Gengar-Mega (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Explosion

The team so far is made to help Mega Gengar.
Your team seems like it would have trouble breaking a Rest CM Suicune as it is now. The only ways you have to beat it are Destiny Bond and surprising it with Explosion which does do over half. Running Taunt over Defog and more speed on Mandibuzz could help stallbreak Suicune and other slow walls.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKQ
Hey guys! I just got a 5IV Shiny Gastly and I wanted to use it on a new team. I already got a Mega Kanga, which I plan to use on my team too, as MegaGar has great synergy with Kanga, and a Greninja. What should I add? I was thinking of using Blaziken, should I keep it with Greninja or should I take Gren off the team?

EDIT: I got the team done. Here it is, tell me what you think:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 14 Atk
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 12 SpA / 17 SpD
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 44 Atk / 236 SpA / 228 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 15 Def
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory
- Gunk Shot

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Swords Dance
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 13 Atk
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Slack Off
- Yawn
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

I was thinking of giving Garchomp a Focus Sash and replacing Swords Dance with Stealth Rock.

Last edited:
How could I change my team to make it better?

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Water Shuriken

Been looking for help all over the net for my Battle Spot Singles team. This is the Nintendo 3DS battle spot and here is my team:

Venusaur-Mega @ venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- gigadrain
- sludgebomb
- leechseed
- synthesis

The core of the team, for better or worse. Takes care of water, rock, ground, electric and fairy pokemon. Azumarill is his specailty since without him (or a similar pokemon) Belly Drum Azumarill can wreck whole teams. I read somewhere that it's better to give him def EVs so I'm trying it out. Works pretty well, though I worry about the special attacks. Speed IVs to outspeed a max speed Azumarill without a timid nature, just in case. Don't know where to put the reamaing stat point.

Sableye @ leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- knockoff
- taunt
- recover
- willowisp

Takes care of phy attackers. A w.o.w and a Taunt prevent powerful phy damage and set ups. Invaluable when I'm able to do so. Puts down Mega khan easy.

Gliscor @ toxicorb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- earthquake
- toxic
- protect
- swordsdance

Handles a lot of threats. Aegislas, Mega Beedrill and Heatran are 3 that come to mind. Used to have Rock Slide to handle Talonflame and other fliers/levitators but I heard Toxic Stall is better so I"m trying it out. Not sold on it yet. Protect helps more than roost in the long run. HP divisible by 8 for maximum poison heal recovery, Impish nature to help his already good defense and 252 IVs in special defense to help ward of sp. attacks. Took the 52 out of HP and put it in attack to give help his attacks.

Gyarados @ sitrusberry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- waterfall
- icefang
- thunderwave
- dragondance

Really here just to beat down Mega Lucario since there are only a few pokemon that can reliably counter him. I T-Wave him and other pokemon and then try to para-flinch them. Also helps take out pokemon water pokemon usually take out. Seems to have a problem with dragons though.

Tyranitar @ lumberry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- crunch
- earthquake
- rockslide
- stealthrock
Here for Mega Gengar, because he too has too few counters. Unfortunately he also gets obliterated by Focus Blast, but I don't know of a pokemon that can help better than him. Good for Talonflame too.

Florges @ lightclay
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- moonblast
- toxic
- lightscreen
- wish

Mostly a placeholder since I can't think of what else I should have on my team

So that's the team I'm working with know. Megasaur is the core and I'm shooting for a balanced team that can help with those annoying Mega Khan/Lucario/Gengar/Salamence. I've had over 200 battle and tried a lot of other pokemon but I can't seem to stop sucking. I know that it doesn't help that my team has some double weaknesses (Gliscor/Tyranitar, Sableye/Tyranitar).

I would REALLY appreciate any help that can be given.

Hi Evreyone i'm new to Pokémon Strategy so this is my team, i need your help to improve it.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt

Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

Thundurus-Incarnate @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 44 HP / 244 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

So this is a team made to help Garchomp except Ferrothorn who is here just to stop Mega Kangashkan

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cb will o wisp is weird.
I know where you're coming from but what other move can ChoiceFlame run? A lot of people run Taiwind in the fourth slot coz his movepool is that shallow...

Light94 your team looks super standard, not much I can say about it. Get out there and try it!

I know where you're coming from but what other move can ChoiceFlame run? A lot of people run Taiwind in the fourth slot coz his movepool is that shallow...

Light94 your team looks super standard, not much I can say about it. Get out there and try it!
Oh I know and I suppose it's an unusual move. I guess I'm now tuned to reject status moves on choice sets as bad teambuilding.

I'm not sure Band is the absolute best set. I'd put Steel Wing on there due to real lack of great options.

Ok dudes so except Will-O-Wisp nothing weird ? and i tried this team it worked pretty well it's just about make some optimisation

252 HP evs on Gengar is very strange. And I don't get the point of your Garchomp. It needs Rocky Helmet. Or anything but a Sash. Give Ferrothorn Leftovers.

Last edited:
For Gengar this is the Bulky Trapper Set who is available in this website and for Garchomp the Sash is here just to let me put Stealth Rock. so for you i have to do

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

and what set should i use for Gengar ?

Maybe the HP investment is for playing with Will-O-Wisp in to Gengar what i don't do because i have already Will-O-Wisp on Talonflamme

252 HP evs on Gengar is very strange. And I don't get the point of your Garchomp. It needs Rocky Helmet. Or anything but a Sash. Give Ferrothorn Leftovers.
What is wrong with sash? Its probably the most common set and imo the best set as well.

But Light94 idk if two stealth rockers are really necessary, i would put SD over rocks on chomp since ferro has rocks already

I put Stealth Rock in both because a lot of time i don't go with Garchomp and Ferrothorn, like sometimes i saw a lot of Garchomp counter's in the opponent team so i go Ferro but usually i like always go Garchomp correct me if i'm wrong

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Light94 I have to totally contradict what a0161613 has been saying so far. Garchomp is one of the best Sash users in the meta. It gives you either a free turn to use Stealth Rock or 2HKO something (faster threats a dealt with any first using Rock Tomb for the speed drop). It's a fine set and you should keep it. If you do opt for Swords Dance like NOVED suggested then keep Outrage. You want maximum power and the difference between Dragon Claw and Outrage is massive. Some people would use Stone Edge over Rock Tomb in that case (of even Rock Slide) but you're free to decide.

And just like you've already mentioned, Mega Gengar's bulky trapper set is fine. Usually you'd want to run Perish Song since Taunt + Destiny Bond is better left to the frailer version imo, but it's still good.

I too think running two Stealth Rock setters is a little much. This isn't like OU where having a setter is mandatory, you really only need it if you see Talonflame (or something super weak to it) in team preview or some stuff that often runs Focus Sash like Breloom etc so you can cripple them. I would leave it on Garchomp and replace it on Ferrothorn with something like Protect (good if you run Leftovers), Thunder Wave (bit weird with Gyro Ball but it works or you can try Iron Head), Block (trap something and stall it with Leech Seed) or Knock Off (generally good utility)

Ok Thanks so basicly i change nothing except Ferrothorn who don't need Stealth Rock and go for Leftovers Protect evrything else is good

So, any help for Big Snorlax? Or is my team just so terrible people feel it's beyond help? I took out Florges for:

EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
IVs: 31/31/31/?/31/31
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Power-up-Punch

Takes care of dragons and Mega Gengars pretty well. Of course I now noticed I have too many phy attackers. W.O.W or just a high def will stall/wall most of my team. Not sure who to take out. Megasaur is my team core. I caught a lot of flak for it on GameFAQs forums but I know he can be a great team member. Kangaskhan seems way to helpful, as does Sableye. I could change Gyardos for Volcorona I suppose, but I'd like someone to tell me that's a good idea first just to placate my doubts. I really don't like Tyranitar but I can't think of anyone else who puts up a good fight against Char Y.

Since I wrote this (but before I posted this) I decided to give Gothitelle a try. Shadow Tag keeps enemies from running 252 HP / 252 Def helps minimize phy hits and the combo of calm mind, rest and chesto. Worked well at least once, went down immediately to a Kindra with Sniper.

Hi guys i just start to play with this guy :

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Superpower

And i read that Ferrothorn and Rotom-W are making great core with him. So i play this Ferrothorn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

But i have no idea how to play Rotom-W :( i find some piece of information but nothing structured, can you help me ?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hi guys i just start to play with this guy :

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Superpower

And i read that Ferrothorn and Rotom-W are making great core with him. So i play this Ferrothorn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

But i have no idea how to play Rotom-W :( i find some piece of information but nothing structured, can you help me ?
Rotom-W can be played in a defensive or offensive role. Offensive Rotom-W tend to hold Specs or Scarf with the moves Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch and Trick with a modest nature. Defensive Rotom-W holds Leftovers or Sitrus and has Hydro Pump, Volt Switch or Thunderbolt, Will o Wisp or Thunder Wave, and Pain Split or Thunderbolt with a calm or bold nature. Offensive Rotom-W does well against defensive teams and defensive Rotom-W does better against offensive teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)