Battle of Hoenn [Online Competition] - Finished! Erebyssial Wins!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry Roadagain, when I looked at your post for some reason I read it as 1538 points (instead if 1538th place, lol) which wasn't enough for the top 10, it's been fixed now (thanks Hula) and you're currently 8th! :)

Blitz099 I've just added you, congrats on 3rd!

I'll be adding this to the OP / leaderboard thread today when I'm back from work

Well, did better than I thought. Not that I'm bragging, this is pretty bad.

ranking: 1555
box

Should of Sashed the Roserade. Rhyperior was a completely wasted team slot I never even used. Blazekin/Aggron/Gyarados/Gardevoir did good though, Gardevoir and Gyarados in particular. Gardevoir had an ability handicap but never failed to kill at least one mon per battle, Gyarados was something I knew would be solid but I regret running Ice Fang over Crunch. Sub Blaziken is good. Roserade gave no fucks about Azumarill (Even the Sap Sipper ones are a Sludge Bomb away from hell) and Breloom. Saftey Goggles Metagross was a major kick in the ass though; obviously designed more for Breloom than Roserade but worked great nonetheless.

Granted, I trained this shit and registered my box a day and a half into the tourney, so I was kinda rushed, untested, and pretty much pulled it out of my ass.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Pokemon Global Link has posted three battle videos, one from each of the top three contestants! These can be found by visiting the results page for the competition itself, and scrolling down below the Pokemon usage statistics and finding the 'Best Battles' section. I'll save you the trouble and just post them here...

1st: hitorigoto (ひとりごと) VS 76th: aki (アキ)
|

hitorigoto manages to set up Moody Glalie and begins spamming Sheer Cold. Scarf Metagross threatens to Trick the Glalie due to it not gaining any speed boosts so he's forced to switch to Blaziken to finish it off with Overheat, if the Overheat had missed then Metagross could have KO'd with Earthquake, and then finished unboosted Glalie (providing it didn't get the defence boost on the first turn Protect) with its Steel STAB.

2nd: nomaneko a (のまねこa) VS 236th: haruka (ハルカ)
|

nomaneko wins in a pretty straight-forward game. He luckily avoids a turn-one Fire Blast from Mega Salamence and is able to 2HKO in return with Zen Headbutt. They both exchange KOs until Azumarill is able to get the final one on Latias. The turn one Fire Blast miss sucks for haruka, but I don't think he could have won even if he got the 2HKO on Metagross as nomaneko seems to have the advantage from team preview anyway. Blaziken wouldn't have been able to KO the Rhyperior from full health, so Metagross getting in that Earthquake before going down really helped, but Azumarill could have just Waterfalled him. I guess we'll never know.

3rd: yukinari (ユキナリ) VS 522nd: kimuchi (キムチ)
|

Even though I knew who was going to win before I watched it, I really thought that kimuchi would come out on top with his strong Steel / Fairy / Dragon core, but then Sash Breloom comes in and finishes the battle with Spore lasting two turns (not that lucky but still)

While watching these battles I didn't notice any crazy teambuilding, revolutionising tactics or out-of-this-world prediction. Moody Glalie with Volbeat to ease set up was the only gimmicky / non-offense style out of the three, which leads me to wonder; what makes the Japanese so good? I was really hoping for these battle videos to shed some light on that matter, but these didn't seem like anything special to me. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Well, to be fair, the Japanese are pretty much the only country whose average player actually goes for broke on the online ladder, so you'll run into well-thought teams more often, as opposed to Random Itemless In-Game Team from Insert Other Country Here. Last season there were even a few US and Korean players who broke 2000, which goes to show that Japan doesn't exactly have a monopoly on the 2K+ outside of sheer numbers.

I blame that replay business more on Nintendo not picking a particularly "good" game especially for the 1st one. I watch a a Japanese YTer who does live battle spot and faces other high ranking opponents they just have well built teams and play well. It's that simple. Every here and there, they make better plays than what I'd make as a spectator lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)